Apple suggests that it has permanently exited the stand-alone monitor business

Comments

• Reply 41 of 82
    Man that's an ugly monitor. 
  • Reply 42 of 82
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    ^^^ Really tacky and cheap looking.I hope LG does a Jony Ive treatment on it, or that Niley Patel is wrong and Apple is only waiting until oxide backed screens are more plentiful. This is depressing.
  • Reply 43 of 82
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    jvmb said:
    karmadave said:
    Apple can't sell enough monitors to make a decent business with them. That's because Apple monitors are only designed to work with Apple products. Better they should work with several monitor manufactures to support the features of their new Macs such as USB-C/3.1/Thunderbolt. Focus, focus, focus!
    Just because the previous Apple monitor was designed to work only with Apple computers, does not mean they have to continue that trend. Their routers, phones, beats headphones, and Apple TV are not exclusive to Mac users. 

A company any with as much cash as Apple does not have a focus issue. They sell an ecosystem of things that just work together. If they only make consumer laptops and iPhones, then it is not an ecosystem anymore. 
    I agree with your ecosystem point. It's true that using that ugly plastic thing as a work display kills the whole aesthetic of an Apple setup.

But your other point about focus I don't agree with. Until they get their new campus done and expand the R&D staff to a new level, they are still a small, overworked company of too few engineers. They need to expand more into a Korean-style beehive, maybe, without losing their soul. 

But this monitor makes it look like they have sold their soul. Sorry, Apple, but aesthetics are still everything.
  • Reply 44 of 82
    First they exited the laser printer market, then they quit the game console race, then stopped making QuickTake digital cameras, then Newton PDAs, then Xserves, and now this. What's next?
    Solipscooter63dysamoriaai46tofino
  • Reply 45 of 82
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Jeffree said:
    I've been an Apple guy since 1984 when i bought the original 128k mac. But I recently im beginning to feel the love wearing off as I see less exciting innovation at a snails pace. Not offering a standalone display and leaving a giant hole in the ecosystem that only a 3rd party can fill does not seem like Apple at all, even if its not a profitable venture. The aesthetic and visual quality is a critical part of the ecosystem and LG will not get it right. I hope this rumor is wrong.
    My thoughts exactly. The most hardcore fans of the platform, those of us who put Apple through the 'beleaguered'days, are being alienated. Surely Apple can afford to run the Mac Pro and decent displays, as a 'hobby'. Throw us a bone, and not just once every four years. 
    sedicivalvoledysamoria
  • Reply 46 of 82
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    A much better headline would have read - 'Apple suggests that it has permanently excited the stand-alone monitor business'.
    edited October 2016 dysamoria
  • Reply 47 of 82
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    flaneur said:
    Sorry, Apple, but aesthetics are still everything.
    Everything?
    dysamoriaai46suddenly newton
  • Reply 48 of 82
    suddenly newton said:
    First they exited the laser printer market, then they quit the game console race, then stopped making QuickTake digital cameras, then Newton PDAs, then Xserves, and now this. What's next?
    LOL
    edited October 2016 ai46
  • Reply 49 of 82
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

paxman said:
    mac_128 said:
    This is really unfortunate. That LG monitor has none of the design style that the current Apple displays have. I wouldn't want it sitting on my desk. Looks like iMacs for me.
    Which is key - most desktop Macs are iMacs. Why would you get anything else? The MacPro users out there wouldn't be buying an Apple monitor anyway and the MacMini users neither, unless it was super cheap. I have to admit that my ageing 24" Apple branded screen looks great and was, and still is, a good monitor that looks good plugged into an Apple laptop, but I paid way too much for it. My bet is that someone will bring out a monitor that to some degree takes on the Thunderbolt display looks and charge a little extra for it.
    "The MacPro users out there wouldn't be buying an Apple monitor anyway" ???   .... Where did you hear that?  This Mac Pro user (I've had every one ever made) has always had Apple Monitors, 30" cinema displays and now 27" versions.  
    Sure, some, like you, would. I bought one for my laptop many years ago but I paid a lot of money for looks and connectivity. I am guessing most pro users would not spend extra on aesthetics. They would spend it on the best screen for the job and pay as little as possible for the pleasure. And also - there are relatively few MP's out there, no?
    dysamoria
  • Reply 50 of 82
    Apple needs to start making there own TV's to compete with Samsung, Console, Apple TV all in one shot, that would crush Samsung.
  • Reply 51 of 82
    Apple needs to start making there own TV's to compete with Samsung, Console, Apple TV all in one shot, that would crush Samsung.
    I'm completely agains the notion of a company making products simply to engage in some childish rivalry that consumers have against different vendors.
    Rayz2016dysamoriaai46
  • Reply 52 of 82
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    When they said that Apple had worked with LG, I assume it wasn't anything to do with styling. How hard would it have been for Ive to have thrown together a quick design and have LG make it? They could have even stuck an Apple logo on it.
  • Reply 53 of 82
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    This is sad news. I love that I can plug my MacBook Pro into one set of cables (Thunderbolt and power) and get a fully functioning desktop computer. 
    tofino
  • Reply 54 of 82
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    evilution said:
    When they said that Apple had worked with LG, I assume it wasn't anything to do with styling. How hard would it have been for Ive to have thrown together a quick design and have LG make it? They could have even stuck an Apple logo on it.
    But then people would think it only worked with Apple kit, and LG would lose a lot potential sales. 
    dysamoriaai46
  • Reply 55 of 82
    "Why do they keep making it thinner? Form over function! Waaaahh!! 
    "It's got bezels! It's ugly! Waaaaaahhh!"
    "Not enough ports! Form over function! Waaahh!"
    "Why is Apple making new look at an ugly monitor? Waaaah!!"

dysamoriaai46
  • Reply 56 of 82
    I just spent the last month monitor shopping as I had a feeling nothing would be coming forward from Apple. I was blown away by the poor aesthetics out there. The LG I settled on looks alright until you get up close and realize it's a brushed chrome looking plastic. I have no idea why they went this route. 
    I may be alone in this, but if I have to look at it everyday, I'd like some design appeal to it. I'd happily pay more to have it. 
    sedicivalvole
  • Reply 57 of 82
    jvmb said:
    karmadave said:
    Apple can't sell enough monitors to make a decent business with them. That's because Apple monitors are only designed to work with Apple products. Better they should work with several monitor manufactures to support the features of their new Macs such as USB-C/3.1/Thunderbolt. Focus, focus, focus!
    Just because the previous Apple monitor was designed to work only with Apple computers, does not mean they have to continue that trend. Their routers, phones, beats headphones, and Apple TV are not exclusive to Mac users. 

A company any with as much cash as Apple does not have a focus issue. They sell an ecosystem of things that just work together. If they only make consumer laptops and iPhones, then it is not an ecosystem anymore. 
    And that is exactly it. You've hit the nail on the head. They are destroying their ecosystem of Apple products. Down to just laptops an iMac and iOS devices. 

You cannot buy a screen now for your laptop that does not look terrible. The whole wrap of the Apple EcoSystem is being eroded.

This is extremely disappointing. 

Apple claim to look at the details. But this along with the Mac Mini and Mac Pro are massive massive details. Leaving a complete hole in the lineup. 

No screen is a deal breaker. I along with many others don't want to look at a piece of plastic all day. We are going back in time to the dark days. Before profiteering don't care about customers Apple. They would of said the same thing. Ive where are you??

When you have to stop friends buying machines because they are ancient and overpriced it's embarrassing and makes Apple look like a vulture. It's a sad state of affairs that you cannot just recommend to someone anymore to get a Mac. You have to be very precise about what you suggest they get, so they don't buy an overpriced lemon. 

I hate to say it but if this is Tim Cook's streamlined efficient Apple. It's not Apple anymore. Tim is not going anywhere soon but at the moment I wish he was removed from any position of authority on products yesterday. 

Apple does not need this alleged focus I've seen mentioned. They can clearly focus if they want too. They barely make enough Mac's. They are the worlds most valuable company. At the worst times they could manage to make a display and update computers. They can easily do it now. It's not about focus, it is that they simply don't care. 

If they did care. They would release regular updates or at the least make a statement about the Mac Mini and Mac Pro. Release an updated screen. Not pull out of segments and markets. 

Not outrageously hike the price of a three year old machine to cover profits lost in exchange rates. Despite the machine costs plummeting and profits rising. 

Pretends to look like Apple. Claims to be Apple. Doesn't smell like Apple. 
    dysamoria
  • Reply 58 of 82
    jibberj said:
    I just spent the last month monitor shopping as I had a feeling nothing would be coming forward from Apple. I was blown away by the poor aesthetics out there. The LG I settled on looks alright until you get up close and realize it's a brushed chrome looking plastic. I have no idea why they went this route. 
    I may be alone in this, but if I have to look at it everyday, I'd like some design appeal to it. I'd happily pay more to have it. 
    Same. I snapped up a last of the line Thunderbolt screen. I'd rather look at this that an ugly cheap plastic screen. 

Im just going to not look at the 4 or 5k external displays and bury my head on the sand. That way I won't see the screen resolution I'm missing for a while. 
    jibberj
  • Reply 59 of 82
    jvmb said:
    karmadave said:

And that is exactly it. You've hit the nail on the head. They are destroying their ecosystem of Apple products. Down to just laptops an iMac and iOS devices. 

You cannot buy a screen now for your laptop that does not look terrible. The whole wrap of the Apple EcoSystem is being eroded.

Apple claim to look at the details. But this along with the Mac Mini and Mac Pro are massive massive details. Leaving a complete hole in the lineup. 

No screen is a deal breaker. I along with many others don't want to look at a piece of plastic all day. We are going back in time to the dark days. Before profiteering don't care about customers Apple. They would of said the same thing. Ive where are you??

When you have to stop friends buying machines because they are ancient and overpriced it's embarrassing and makes Apple look like a vulture. It's a sad state of affairs that you cannot just recommend to someone anymore to get a Mac. You have to be very precise about what you suggest they get, so they don't buy an overpriced lemon. 

I hate to say it but if this is Tim Cook's streamlined efficient Apple. It's not Apple anymore. Tim is not going anywhere soon but at the moment I wish he was removed from any position of authority on products yesterday. 

Apple does not need this alleged focus I've seen mentioned. They can clearly focus if they want too. They barely make enough Mac's. They are the worlds most valuable company. At the worst times they could manage to make a display and update computers. They can easily do it now. It's not about focus, it is that they simply don't care. 

If they did care. They would release regular updates or at the least make a statement about the Mac Mini and Mac Pro. Release an updated screen. Not pull out of segments and markets. 

Not outrageously hike the price of a three year old machine to cover profits lost in exchange rates. Despite the machine costs plummeting and profits rising. 

I think people around here are far too emotionally attached to what is essentially A BUSINESS.  Apple isn't the only company hiking prices; everyone is. Not pleasant, but that's Brexit. 

Secondly, Tim Cook is not in charge of products; that falls to Ive, and Ive is walking the same line that Jobs walked. Jobs was all about focus, all about the hundred 'nos' and the single 'yes'. Because saying 'yes' to everything is what brought them to the edge of bankruptcy in the first place (and don't think I it couldn't happen again). 

The company hasn't changed; folk just think it has because they don't have Steve Jobs's charisma to mask the unpleasant stuff that the company does from time to time. 

• Reply 60 of 82
    Rayz2016 said:
    jvmb said:
    karmadave said:

I think people around here are far too emotionally attached to what is essentially A BUSINESS.  Apple isn't the only company hiking prices; everyone is. Not pleasant, but that's Brexit. 

Secondly, Tim Cook is not in charge of products; that falls to Ive, and Ive is walking the same line that Jobs walked. Jobs was all about focus, all about the hundred 'nos' and the single 'yes'. Because saying 'yes' to everything is what brought them to the edge of bankruptcy in the first place (and don't think I it couldn't happen again). 

The company hasn't changed; folk just think it has because they don't have Steve Jobs's charisma to mask the unpleasant stuff that the company does from time to time. 

First of all I don't think there is one person at Apple in charge of products. And maybe that's the problem. Too much done by committee. Anyway an industrial designer on Twitter (who knows people inside Apple) says Jony Ive is mostly focused on architecture now - campus 2 and Apple stores - and loving it. Note, he wasn't spotted at Apple's event on Thursday. I have my doubts that he's making decisions on whether the Mac mini or Pro get updated or if Apple stays in the standalone monitor business. If Apple wanted to I'm sure they could have a dedicated engineering team only focused on Mac. But quite honestly I don't think Tim Cook cares enough about the Mac for that to happen. Phil Schiller and Craig Federighi still seem very passionate about the Mac but do they have the power to make it more of a focus at the company? It's obvious Microsoft is going hard after this niche market. Surface Studio is targeted directly at creative professionals...the type of people that typically buy Macs. It would be a shame if Apple ceded that market to Microsoft.
    dysamoria