LaCie intros Bolt3 & new enterprise drives for Apple's Thunderbolt 3-ready MacBook Pro

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware
Looking to take advantage of Apple's new MacBook Pros, equipped with Thunderbolt 3, storage maker LaCie has launched the Bolt3, along with two new enterprise-level RAID drives.

The Bolt3 has twin Thunderbolt 3 ports and a pair of M.2 PCIe SSDs, striped into a single 2 terabyte volume. Speeds can purportedly hit 2,800 megabytes per second, said to be enough for 4K or even 6K video editing.

Thunderbolt 3 enables daisy-chaining, including one USB-C or up to five Thunderbolt 3 devices. Users could, for instance, connect two 4K displays and a laptop simultaneously.

The drive uses an aluminum enclosure with a magnetic cable door, and comes with a display stand for propping it up on a desk.

The 6big.
The 6big.

The new enterprise drives are 6big and 12big models, supporting up to 60 or 120 terabytes of storage, respectively. Each offers RAID 5 and 6 configurations, and makes use of enterprise-class Seagate hard disks. Through Thunderbolt 3, people can connect things like twin 4K monitors or a single 5K screen.

Speeds on the 6big top out at 1,400 megabytes per second, while the 12big can hit 2,600, or 2,400 in RAID 5.

All three drives should be available through LaCie resellers this quarter. The Bolt3 will cost $1,999, while the 6big will start at $3,199, scaling through 24-, 36-, 48-, and 60-terabyte capacities. The 12gig will cost a minimum $6,399 with 48-, 72-, 96-, and 120-terabyte options.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Looking ahead to stereo 360 VR video editing, I suppose. 
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Someone got a little too clever when they designed that display stand.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Is LaCie Bolt3 RAID 0 inside as SanDisk Extreme 900 Portable SSD? That is the best way to lose data (more than 2-fold failure-probability increase), since if any SSD or the controler fails, all is lost.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    appex said:
    Is LaCie Bolt3 RAID 0 inside as SanDisk Extreme 900 Portable SSD? That is the best way to lose data (more than 2-fold failure-probability increase), since if any SSD or the controler fails, all is lost.
    You keep saying this when you see fast SSDs. It only matters if they already have a high risk of failing. SSDs are all made up of smaller chips that have controllers attached:

When you can write in parallel, you get better performance:

http://www.howtogeek.com/248827/why-are-smaller-ssds-slower/
    http://thenextweb.com/apple/2016/10/19/iphone-7-storage-speed-test/

Nobody should keep data on a single drive. You'd buy one fast SSD drive and it can be backed up a couple of times to cheap 2TB HDDs. These SSD drives are meant for fast portable workflows like dealing with UHD footage on the go.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    ...and I thought I was hot stuff when I installed that SCSI card in my 486 for fast access to my 100 MB ZIP Drive...
    pulseimageswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Marvin said:
    appex said:
    You keep saying this when you see fast SSDs. It only matters if they already have a high risk of failing. SSDs are all made up of smaller chips that have controllers attached:
    Nope. I say that when I suspect that only. And no, I do not want RAID 0 to boot Mac and work from it all day long. Even if faster.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Confirmed:

LaCie Bolt3
    Internal Storage Media: 2 × M.2 PCIe SSDs
    http://www.lacie.com/personal/limited-edition/bolt3/#specs

As with LaCie Chromé
    LaCie Chromé features a pair of 500GB M.2 SATA SSDs in RAID 0
    http://www.lacie.com/personal/limited-edition/chrome/
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Someone got a little too clever when they designed that display stand.
    That was my exact response, except I thought "they shouldn't get cute when designing storage."