Apple AirPods arrival date officially updated from late October to "coming soon"

Posted:
in iPhone
Confirming a report from Wednesday, Apple's AirPods street date has shifted on the company's web page from late October, to a less specific "coming soon."

"We don't believe in shipping a product before it's ready, and we need a little more time before AirPods are ready for our customers," Apple said in a statement issued to TechCrunch on Wednesday. The remark was unable to be confirmed at the time, however, and up until the "hello again" event, the Apple website still reflected the "late October" release window.

Specific details for the reasoning behind the delay have still not been revealed.

Apple's new Powerbeats3 workout headphones will beat the AirPods to market. The company began taking orders for Powerbeats 3 on Tuesday, with the first deliveries scheduled to arrive in early November.

AppleInsider went hands-on with Apple's AirPods at an event unveiling them in September. Regardless of ship date, the AirPods will retail for $159.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    Coming soon?  That's soon!
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Thomas AndersonThomas Anderson Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Soon™
  • Reply 3 of 20
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    "Sales are quite soon..."
    pscooter63
  • Reply 4 of 20
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    "We don't believe in shipping a product before it's ready..."

Like with exploding batteries?

Is this a barb at Samsung?

In any case, it made me chuckle.

lolliver
  • Reply 5 of 20
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Real soon now.
    Will get them ASAP.

Because.  Done.  With.  Wires.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I can't wait for Sog to claim this is because Tim Cook is enept and that it would never happen if Steve were alive, despite the countless pushbacks and delays when he was CEO¡
    nolamacguylolliverpscooter63calimike1brucemc
  • Reply 7 of 20
    roake said:

1) No. They've said that or something similar before the Note 7 was a thing or an issue.

2) This is a Barb.

lolliverdoctor davidcalitmaybrucemcalcstarheel
  • Reply 8 of 20
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    Soli said:
    roake said:

1) No. They've said that or something similar before the Note 7 was a thing or an issue.

2) This is a Barb.

but isn't that Sog?
    sirlance99
  • Reply 9 of 20
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Soli said:
    I can't wait for Sog to claim this is because Tim Cook is enept and that it would never happen if Steve were alive, despite the countless pushbacks and delays when he was CEO¡
    sog is a full blown troll and violates the forum rules that used to be posted on the old forum software. his intent is to upset and annoy and he should be booted. 
    lolliverjahbladeSolisirlance99pscooter63tmaybrucemcjony0
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Soli said:
    sog is a full blown troll and violates the forum rules that used to be posted on the old forum software. his intent is to upset and annoy and he should be booted. 
    The same could be said for you
    sirlance99
  • Reply 11 of 20
    I disagree. There's hardly anyone on this forum that's been here for years and keeps writing the same inanne complaints over and over, even if the topic has nothing to do with his agenda.
    lolliverpscooter63brucemcjony0
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Soli said:
    I disagree. There's hardly anyone on this forum that's been here for years and keeps writing the same inanne complaints over and over, even if the topic has nothing to do with his agenda.

He's not as bad as Ben Frost was but he seems to be getting more annoying all the time. It's rare to open up the comments of a story and not have his be one of the first 10 posts these days... And like you said, his agenda isn't even related to the topic much of the time.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    This holiday is going to be great for Apple. I predict AirPods to be the next big thing. These are going to sell like crazy.

roake said:

Not at all. This has been apples philosophy forever  

Apple doesn't care enough to jab Samsung, the only reason Samsung seems highlighted right now is because it's a perfect reminder of why Apple's philosophy exists. 

edited October 2016 pscooter63
  • Reply 14 of 20
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    Soli said:
    Sog must be from the upside down...
  • Reply 15 of 20
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member

cali said:
    This holiday is going to be great for Apple. I predict AirPods to be the next big thing. These are going to sell like crazy.

roake said:

Not at all. This has been apples philosophy forever  

Apple doesn't care enough to jab Samsung, the only reason Samsung seems highlighted right now is because it's a perfect reminder of why Apple's philosophy exists. 

I read something a week or so ago that an analyst predicted that AirPods would be a $3B a year business...19 million sales a year or so.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    As I mentioned yesterday, if these work well, sound good and sell, nobody will remember whether they first shipped in October or December.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    They are on my Christmas wish list, so as long as they are available by December, good for me:)

If the simplicity they have shown is matched by quality sound and voice input, then it could become a nice little bump to the Others category.  Apple certainly has a chance to really push forward this move to wireless headphones through AP and Beats products, and I hope they do "push it".  In a couple years all of this concern of Lightning wired EarPods on iPhone/iPad and lack of port on Macs will become a non issue.

Apple does have a tendency to be a little too cautious at times IMO though.  A cautious/slow approach is to introduce the groundbreaking AirPods in 2016 (in white only), and the reception is fantastic, but then not upgrade them for 3 years, coming out with an updated product around 2019.  The AirPods are a heralded as great advancement, but after 3 years the market has many other options.  Apple still considered "one" of the best, and with the best pairing solution.

A move the market "push it" approach would have Apple coming out with an updated model each year, bringing new colours (can you imagine how well a jet black pair might do, or designed to match the most popular Apple Watch band colours), better battery life, any extended range, BT 5 functionality, better audio range - incremental but solid improvements each year, like they do with iPhone and so far with Apple Watch.  And a similar approach on the Beats side.

Hoping for the second, but getting more used to the first.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Soli said:
    No, it couldn't be said for him.
    jony0
  • Reply 19 of 20
    I liked it better when Apple announced products when they were actually ready to sell. 
  • Reply 20 of 20
    roake said:
    How about not announcing it until it's ready?