Sharp CEO supposedly confirms Apple to use OLED in next-generation iPhone

Comments

• Reply 61 of 81
    ireland said:
    I'm more pissed that we can't use the new standard Lightning EarPods that ship with iPhone 7 for a wired connection to the new MBP without needing the included dongle. Why include the headphone jack if you describe it as archaic? If you design both devices would you not account for this? Would it not make a ton more sense to give the new MBP Lightning for headphones to ensure consistency with iPhone going forward and throw in that little headphone to Lightning dongle for those who need it.

That headphone port bugs me. If you're going to kill the port, own that decision and really kill it.
    Agreed, but the MBP is a pro device, the iPhone is not. Maybe professional, like composers, still require AUX, whereas Lightning studio headphones haven't reached maturity. I'd find reasoning insufficient if that were Apple's excuse. More like a lack of "courage" to go all in on Lightning. In a sense, Apple's omission has created fragmentation between their product lines. It certainly doesn't help unify their ecosystem. 
    baconstangireland
  • Reply 62 of 81
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Some of those adapters in that photo are almost pointless now, being 30-pin dock connectors, for example. And the TB to Firewire is probably a niche market. TB to Ethernet maybe a bit less so but probably not really a big deal.

Assuming I bought one of these, for home, I would either buy one of the LG 5k displays and buy a port replicator type dock such as this: https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/usb-c/owc/usb-c-dock

USB-C is probably going to be the thing going forward for a decade, maybe even two, and many of those cables and adapters bought now should remain useful for a long time.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 63 of 81
    I hate that the 4.7" iPhone gets treated like a second class citizen. Not everyone wants a phablet. Apple brought OIS to the 4.7" model. That leads me to believe bringing stuff to 5.5" model only isn't technical but for upsell purposes.
    what nonsense. apple engineering VP said specifically that removing the legacy headphone port gave them more space to add more stuff and he cited the camera specifically. not to mention miniaturization is a process and improves over time. 

but you knew that. 
    Did he cite OIS specifically? Do you have a link to a tear down or comment from Apple that says OIS was only possible on the 4.7" model because they removed the headphone jack? Maybe that's the case but it could also be the case they want people to spend $100 more and screen size alone wouldn't be enough of an upsell.

Remember this is the same company that removed all the USB-A ports from the new MacBook Pro (but kept the headphone jack) yet was too tight to throw a dongle in the box. So if you want to charge your phone using your new MacBook Pro you need to buy a $25 USB-C to Lightning cable. And if you have a bunch of USB-A peripherals you need to spend $19 on a USB to USB-C dongle. And if you want to use the headphones that came with your iPhone 7 to listen to music on your new MacBook Pro, well I guess your screwed right now. Apple has turned into the dongle company. These are all the dongles they sell right now:

which adapters would apple include in the box? every single adapter for every single use case? that's idiotic. so how do they know yours? 

yes, Paczkowski, who interviewed Schiller and Riccio, specifically cited the "larger" cameras, and Riccio mentioned them too. since OIS is an obviously better and bigger camera, there is no question. i'm sure you've already read the article are just mindlessly concern trolling again, but here it is:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/johnpaczkowski/inside-iphone-7-why-apple-killed-the-headphone-jack?utm_term=.kwZ2PKQLV#.ycDx9QOz1

...on your part, citing the absence of a third-party tear down as "proof" to the contrary is a logical fallacy. the lack of any such article doesn't prove a damn thing. you're just making stuff up. 

ask yourself -- who is in a better position to determine the how's and whys of iphone hardware engineering -- you, a ramdom concern troll in the midwest, or, i don't know, the actual hardware engineers building this things and talking about them? bet you still think it's a moustache-twirling conspiracy from your arch nemesis Schiller. amirite?!
    edited October 2016 doozydozenlolliverpscooter63Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 64 of 81

ireland said:
    I'm more pissed that we can't use the new standard Lightning EarPods that ship with iPhone 7 for a wired connection to the new MBP without needing the included dongle. Why include the headphone jack if you describe it as archaic? If you design both devices would you not account for this? Would it not make a ton more sense to give the new MBP Lightning for headphones to ensure consistency with iPhone going forward and throw in that little headphone to Lightning dongle for those who need it.

That headphone port bugs me. If you're going to kill the port, own that decision and really kill it. Everything that's not Apple is going to switch to USBc anyway. I only wish USBc was physically smaller and I further wish Apple embraced it were it equal to in size or smaller than Lightning. One port for everything that's not wireless should be the way. I wish that USB group had gotten their finger out and thought for a moment that this connector port would be in every more small devices going forward. They didn't go far enough. They in fact dug their own grave as wireless power and everything else will be pushed quicker thanks to their clunky connector.
    the legacy audio port had to leave the iphone because the design constraints of that device dictated it so. the space was a problem. that is not the case on the MBP because it has different design constraints. 

further, mandating that iphone lightning headsets work on a notebook isn't critical or perhaps even important. the cross compatible audio interface on the roadmap is clear -- wireless. a $10 pair of BT headphones work on all devices. the problem is solved. lighting headphones are a stopgap. 
    edited October 2016 doozydozenlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 65 of 81
    The other thing you'd lose if they eliminated the headphone port on the laptops (and desktops) is optical audio out as it serves double duty.
    randominternetpersonlolliverbaconstang
  • Reply 66 of 81
    The other thing you'd lose if they eliminated the headphone port on the laptops (and desktops) is optical audio out as it serves double duty.
    Apple sure doesn't play this up.  The "About This Mac" system report doesn't mention it.  But you're absolutely right, of course:  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202730

watto_cobra
  • Reply 67 of 81
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    brakken said:
    I'm betting this new guy doesn't last past next August.
    Japanese company CEO with Chinese name. It's normal nowadays, huh?
  • Reply 68 of 81
    I hate that the 4.7" iPhone gets treated like a second class citizen. Not everyone wants a phablet. Apple brought OIS to the 4.7" model. That leads me to believe bringing stuff to 5.5" model only isn't technical but for upsell purposes.
    What makes you think so? The damn 4.7" iPhone 7 is the same as 5.5" except the camera. Dual cameras can't be in 7 due to its size while an extra RAM is just to drive the bigger screen. 
    lolliverdoozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 69 of 81
    It's funny that some dudes keep talking about bezel less. Give me a break! losing bezel doesn't gain any benefit except for a little cosmetic appearance of the device. How much can you reduce with current iPhone bezels, 2-mm width at most? If you think that 2mm will benefit the 1-hand operation, you're an idiot. Also, top and bottom bezels have nothing to do with 1-hand operation. So, get that shit straight.
    edited October 2016 tallest skillolliverbaconstangdoozydozen
  • Reply 70 of 81
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    jaffa said:
    I didn't realise before I read this that Apple are still using IPS LCD - in a 2016/2017 device, that's hilarious. OLD-tech display, no HD on the small phone, no SD slot, can't copy files on and off. But, but, but you can get it in shiny black - hahahahahahahh, I have to stop or I'll wet myself.
    Anandtech reviewed the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus and found them to be the best displays on the market, and arguably have the most comprehensive and thorough reviews in the business.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10685/the-iphone-7-and-iphone-7-plus-review/2
    "the most accurate smartphone display on the market"
    "iOS remains the only relevant mobile OS with proper color management, and is miles ahead of Android in this regard which has no concept of multiple color spaces."

AMOLED has a big problem with image burn in. This would be a huge problem for most people that I know on iOS or Android.
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 71 of 81
    jaffa said:
    I didn't realise before I read this that Apple are still using IPS LCD - in a 2016/2017 device, that's hilarious. OLD-tech display, no HD on the small phone, no SD slot, can't copy files on and off. But, but, but you can get it in shiny black - hahahahahahahh, I have to stop or I'll wet myself.
    Since you didn't realize before reading the article what materials were used to produce the display, then it had no practical effect. Your concern is with numbers, which to your way of thinking have meaning independent of practical reality. Ask your therapist about a cure.
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 72 of 81
    abp677abp677 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I created an account specifically to comment on this story. I just wanted to tell you that "missive" does not mean what you think it means. Thank you. 
    doozydozen
  • Reply 73 of 81
    I am MORE interested to know if Apple will adopt ATSC 3.0 compatibility in iPhone/iPad/Mac/ATV/AWatch...

http://atsc.org/

https://www.cnet.com/news/atsc-3-0-what-you-need-to-know-about-the-future-of-broadcast-television/
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 74 of 81
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    ireland said:
    ...Who's looking forward to OLED?
    ...home button. ... No one seems to have cracked this yet.
    The control centre gesture could be the home button, for instance. It won't be self explanatory though. And if Siri is reduced to only listening to "hey Siri", with no buttons.

A hard squeeze of the phone's body could also be a gesture. I doubt the home button will end up on the side though. It wouldn't be self explanatory at all. The sides are more for settings and options.

There could be multi touch sensitivity all around though. Sliding or tapping your fingers on the side could do stuff. Again, not self explanatory for a home button.

If the button goes, and if the keyboard is pushed down to the edge of the screen, it wouldn't be that ergonomic imo. That space below the screen actually serves an ergonomic purpose for typing. So chances are they would choose to push the keyboard up a bit on an all screen model, for ergonomic reasons.

Etc etc etc..
  • Reply 75 of 81
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Soli said:
    So if you want to charge your phone using your new MacBook Pro you need to buy a $25 USB-C to Lightning cable. And if you have a bunch of USB-A peripherals you need to spend $19 on a USB to USB-C dongle. And if you want to use the headphones that came with your iPhone 7 to listen to music on your new MacBook Pro, well I guess your screwed right now. Apple has turned into the dongle company. These are all the dongles they sell right now:

[FUD image]
    Bullshit!
    It not. And it's not FUD. Those are all the dongles Apple is selling right now.
    Oh I'm sure they do. But it's irrelevant, unless you're saying that every single Apple customer has to buy every single dongle. 

I have an Apple laptop, an iPhone and an iPad, and own just one dongle on that list: the one that allows me to copy photos from an SD card to my iPad. If I'd read the camera's instruction manual first then I would have realised that the camera can connect directly to the iPad wirelessly – so I didn't even need that. 

You've also listed items that are probably not going to be purchased that often, even though Apple still sells them: lots of pre-lightning connectors and dongles for connecting iPhones and iPads to external monitors (Even if somone does need that, they are unlikely to need all of them). 

So it's not exacly FUD, but it's very misleading. Most people will connect stuff wirelessly, so a huge swathe of your dongle list will never be needed. 
    pscooter63nolamacguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 76 of 81
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    ireland said:

That headphone port bugs me. If you're going to kill the port, own that decision and really kill it.
    Agreed, but the MBP is a pro device, the iPhone is not. Maybe professional, like composers, still require AUX, whereas Lightning studio headphones haven't reached maturity. I'd find reasoning insufficient if that were Apple's excuse. More like a lack of "courage" to go all in on Lightning. In a sense, Apple's omission has created fragmentation between their product lines. It certainly doesn't help unify their ecosystem. 

I was thinking about that charging case that comes with the Airpods. What is going on the other end of the cable: USB-A or USB-C? I guess they're going to use the old style connector, which means you won't be able to charge your Airpods from your new Mac laptop. 
    doozydozen
  • Reply 77 of 81
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    fallenjt said:
    It's funny that some dudes keep talking about bezel less. Give me a break! losing bezel doesn't gain any benefit except for a little cosmetic appearance of the device. How much can you reduce with current iPhone bezels, 2-mm width at most? If you think that 2mm will benefit the 1-hand operation, you're an idiot.
    Actually the left-right bezels on iPhone 6, 6s, 7 and SE are around 3 mm each. That's 6 mm narrower of a phone: over half a cm. If you don't think that's a big difference you are very wrong. And it's not just added ability with a single hand it's size and pockatibility and weight and other factors. iPhone iPhone 8 have the potential to be 6 mm narrower that means they would be able to give a device the width of SE and much larger display and they'd be able to make iPhone phones such as a plus model 6 mm narrower down the whole phone. These are big material differences.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 78 of 81
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

palegolas said:
    ireland said:
    ...Who's looking forward to OLED?
    ...home button. ... No one seems to have cracked this yet.
    The control centre gesture could be the home button, for instance. It won't be self explanatory though.
    Yes therein lies an issue. You'll need to know prior to using. Less learnable and intuitive. Think how confusing it'll be for certain autistics and younger or older. And then control center moved to the right of Notification Center? Certainly not out of the realm of possibility, but is it a worse UX than what we have now? I think you'd make a handy argument it is. Make chin and forehead smaller and make home button smaller and embed it under the glass with a marker/signifier would seem like a more practical design. Certainly not as cool as saying "we're the first full no bezel design and here it is...", but it does seem like this would be far more useable.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 79 of 81
    Marvin said:
    The deep black levels are nice with OLED, the display showing black will blend right into the black bezel. I don't expect they'd ever place physical breaks in the display to allow for the home button, camera and speaker. You can see the front-facing camera and home button on the iPhone 7 here and where the display stops:

Newer display tech will allow for putting the display around objects:

It would be nice if screen would be from bottom to top but:

• is it possible to maintain thinness of iPhone when two cameras and speaker have to be under display?
    • it is not comfortable to touch lower corner of phone with one hand 
  • Reply 80 of 81
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    abp677 said:
    I created an account specifically to comment on this story. I just wanted to tell you that "missive" does not mean what you think it means. Thank you. 
    Then...what does it mean??  You took all that time to create an account so you could comment but didn't have time to elaborate?