Latest Apple Campus 2 drone video shows progress on solar & landscaping

Posted:
in General Discussion
Roof and landscaping work appears to be well underway at Apple's upcoming Campus 2 headquarters in Cupertino, a new drone flight suggests, though the complex may still be several months away from the first employees moving in.

Video shared by Matthew Roberts on YouTube shows cranes moving materials to the roof, although there are now fewer cranes on the premises than before. Rooftop solar panels are estimated to be about half complete.

Landscaping work has begun in earnest, the main sign being trees planted in a number of areas. Much of the complex is still bare dirt however, especially the interior of the ring, which should eventually be as lush as anywhere else on campus.

Satellite buildings -- including the fitness center, R&D facility, and underground auditorium -- are well into development, but still incomplete. Similarly, unfinished tunnels on the grounds leading to places like the auditorium and parking garage are covered by terraced foam tiles.

The City of Cupertino recently announced delays for the Campus 2 project, indicating that main construction won't be done until the beginning of 2017, and that landscaping won't be finished until the second quarter of next year. More delays could be possible, given that the project was already behind schedule.

Apple CEO Tim Cook was once reported to have promised employees that they would start moving in by the end of January, but that may be unlikely now unless the pace of construction picks up rapidly.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Er but.... it is not November 2016 yet.
    I know that there is something of a competition to get these images but this is silly.

cornchip
  • Reply 2 of 13
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
     My God this is breathtaking! 

And to think this all came from a little garage in California. 
    stanthemanpropodcornchipjony0
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Amazing piece of work. MS employees must be jealous.
    cornchip
  • Reply 4 of 13
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    This is truly impressive! If all else fails Apple should be able to make some good money on guided tours!
    schlackcornchip
  • Reply 5 of 13
    paxman said:
    This is truly impressive! If all else fails Apple should be able to make some good money on guided tours!
    I've been waiting 30 years to tour an Apple campus and will be first in line. Seriously, will drive up from L.A. at the first opportunity. AI, let us know as soon as rumors surface about how to get a reservation. 
    paxman
  • Reply 6 of 13
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    cali said:
     My God this is breathtaking! 

And to think this all came from a little garage in California. 
    Enough of your God.
    ai46
  • Reply 7 of 13
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    Amazing piece of work. MS employees must be jealous.
    No they will just scale it down and have a funereal for it.
    cornchip
  • Reply 8 of 13
    paxman said:
    Welcome to Apple World (or Apple Land if you wish).
  • Reply 9 of 13
    slurpy said:
    sog35 said:
    Looks at Apple 2 Campus
    Looks at Macbook Pro prices
    makes sense
    How the fuck do you always manage to not only get the 1st post in every thread, but make it a mind-numbingly moronic troll post as well? 

I've told you a dozen times, seek some help. I'm worried for your mental health. Spending your life refreshing this site every second in order to troll, and your constantly explosions of rants and rage can't be healthy. You're sick. 

He does it by devoting effort to the activity, and his tone reflects his feelings. The same is true for you and everyone else. Is this a place devoted to analyzing the lives of others commenters? Sog35's original assertion was about the connection between overhead costs and product prices.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    I love these videos. I'd really like to see a The Making of the Apple Campus Videos video. A chase drone following the video drone.

What kind/brand of drone? At what altitude is this drone flying? Is there a 400' cap? How low does it go?Do any workers hear or notice it? How long is it's flight vs the edited footage we see? Is it done on one set of batteries (to get the original footage)? 

If the battery charge started to drop before the drone could RTB, and it landed in the Space Ship or on the grounds, how difficult would it be to get it back from Apple? I suppose it wouldn't be a big deal, since it doesn't seem like Apple has complained about the coverage. It actually documents their green construction.

These questions and more...
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Great video. Guess they'll be using those upright scooters (I don't know what they're called) to get around in the spaceship? Can't wait to see a tour of the inside of this thing when it's completed. 
  • Reply 12 of 13
    I've been wondering for some time, what is the deal with using all those foam tiles? Is there some advantage over them than just using dirt?
  • Reply 13 of 13
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    I've been wondering for some time, what is the deal with using all those foam tiles? Is there some advantage over them than just using dirt?
    Not that I know anything, as I was wondering about it too. One idea: less weight over tunnels and underground rooms like the auditorium. Better during earthquakes.