Apple acquires high-accuracy GPS technology firm Coherent Navigation

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26

My iPhone's GPS works inside my house and car, but I thought Iridium only worked on a direct signal. It was meant for outdoor use. Perhaps I'm incorrect.

• Reply 22 of 26
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    Excellent!
  • Reply 23 of 26
    creek0512creek0512 Posts: 111member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Madmanmoon View Post

My iPhone's GPS works inside my house and car, but I thought Iridium only worked on a direct signal. It was meant for outdoor use. Perhaps I'm incorrect.

Your iPhone uses more than GPS to estimate your position.  It also uses the cellular network and the wifi network you are connected to

• Reply 24 of 26
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    creek0512 wrote: »
    Your iPhone uses more than GPS to estimate your position.  It also uses the cellular network and the wifi network you are connected to

Exactly, it's called aGPS (assisted GPS). The cellular networks won't always pinpoint your exact location, but wifi will.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    peteraltpeteralt Posts: 155member
    To take advantage of their software, I'm assuming it would need updated hardware in order to receive data from the Iridium satellites. Correct?
  • Reply 26 of 26
    nickg_uknickg_uk Posts: 1unconfirmed, member

Current GPS is accurate to within 12 to 25 feet.  This probably is accurate to 1-2 feet.

This is not so much for autonomous driving cars.  It is for personal high-accuracy location WITHIN BUILDINGS and outdoors.

Can you post a link to your source for that data? It sounds totally made up to me. Neither GPS nor Iridium signals pass through walls and neither permits 2 ft accuracy without a DGPS mast very nearby. You cannot (and will never be able to) do navigation indoors using satellites - it defies physics - so I think somebody has been telling you lies. Any RF with a shorter wavelength than 1GHz struggles to pass through a sheet of glass - let alone a building's roof.