Led by Air & mini, Apple's iPad grows lead in shrinking global tablet market

Posted:
in iPad
Even with iPad shipments and the market as a whole shrinking year-over-year, Apple still managed to grow its share of the tablet industry in the September quarter, according to research data published on Monday.

Apple's share increased from 19.6 percent to 21.5, IDC noted, keeping it ahead of Samsung, which slipped from 16 percent to 15.1. Amazon meanwhile leapt from 1.5 percent to 7.3 percent, putting it ahead of Lenovo and Huawei.

The overall market shrank 14.7 percent to 43 million units. Indeed of the five companies above, only Amazon and Huawei saw increased shipments -- Apple slipped 6.2 percent from approximately 9.9 million to 9.3.

Apple's iPad revenues kept flat instead of declining largely because of the more expensive Pro models, IDC said. Air and Mini models, however, accounted for over two-thirds of estimated shipments, perhaps suggesting that price was more important than specifications. The iPad Air 2 uses 2014's A8X processor, while the more recent Mini 4 actually uses an A8. The company is even still selling 2013's Mini 2, equipped with an A7.

No new iPads were announced at last week's press event. Apple could be waiting for the spring -- taking a cue from the 9.7-inch iPad Pro launch earlier this year -- but has also de-emphasized the iPad in general, since sales have been on the decline for many quarters.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    Funny the kindle paperwhite (with tiny light bulbs on the side of the screen) are compared to Ipad pro
  • Reply 2 of 22
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    NY1822 said:
    Funny the kindle paperwhite (with tiny light bulbs on the side of the screen) are compared to Ipad pro
    I doubt it is. Amazon sells a huge number of their actual tablets.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Shrinking, but larger than notebook market?

Will be interesting to see where iPad goes in 2017. Expect feature parity across both iPad Pro 2 models: display and camera etc.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 4 of 22
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Tablets will bounce back when they are unrestricted and can do wat other computers can.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    Amazon sells differently - their 'loss leader' business model is to give away mediocre tablets to get customers to shop more on their site, so of course they will ship more units.
    albegarcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 22
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    NY1822 said:
    Nothing in the report indicates that e-readers were considered tablets.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    If  the [old] Air and Mini dominate the market, it would seem that the main reason sales are flat as is that newer models are perceived as a bad value proposition, mainly because of price. At least  the good news is that iPads are seen as the best tablets, even old iPads.  But like all things Apple these days, too expensive for what you get. Raising the price of the flagship model (the Pro) last year was a mistake.
    edited October 2016 jbishop1039albegarc
  • Reply 8 of 22
    sog35 said:
    This is ridiculous.

Apple's share of tablets over $300 is 85-90%

Those POS $79 from Amazon have nothing to do with ipads.
    Who's taken control of your account?
    watto_cobra[Deleted User]
  • Reply 9 of 22
    bb-15bb-15 Posts: 283member
    entropys said:
    If  the [old] Air and Mini dominate the market, it would seem that the main reason sales are flat as is that newer models are perceived as a bad value proposition, mainly because of price. At least  the good news is that iPads are seen as the best tablets, even old iPads.  But like all things Apple these days, too expensive for what you get. Raising the price of the flagship model (the Pro) last year was a mistake.
    I bought an Air 2 64GB a few months ago. It is quite fast and handles split screen multitasking very well.
    I got an inexpensive Ankar keyboard for it through Amazon.
    I have no need for an on screen stylus.
    So, for me there isn't an advantage to paying much more for the 9.7 inch iPad Pro.
    albegarc
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Decrease in sales is not surprising because people were waiting both for the iPhone 7 and the Macbook Pro update. Now that the dust has been settled, iPad sales will acquire its upwards course in the holiday season.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Decrease in sales is not surprising because people were waiting both for the iPhone 7 and the Macbook Pro update. Now that the dust has been settled, iPad sales will acquire its upwards course in the holiday season.
    iPad sales will probably be down in the holiday quarter you.   last year they introduced the 12.9 inch Pro.   Nothing new since March.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    entropys said:
    Pro's are 1/3 of sales reportedly.... hardly call that a mistake. I think it shows there are two distinct markets here and Apple can push the Pro's more computer like on the back of customers willing to pay more.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Always doom with tablets. I hope Apple keeps making them though. I don't know what I'll do while couch surfing.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    crawdad62 said:
    Always doom with tablets. I hope Apple keeps making them though.
    Apple's tablets are outselling their Macs 2:1
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 15 of 22
    I'm only waiting for iPad Pro 2. This is the one time I probably shouldn't have waited given that it might be a while for an update. But I usually buy first gen and then experience much envy when V2 hits the streets. I'm hoping for a January refresh. But from my perspective it has nothing to do with the perceived value. For travel you can't beat an iPad. I'll be able do my sketching, already I do some photo and video editing, check in with work emails etc. with my current iPad and I don't have to lug my laptop around, which always worried me when traveling that it would end up crushed or otherwise broken. It's so much easier to pack up an iPad even with a hard case. I feel like an iPad Pro refresh might bring a bump in sales with a couple new spec updates. 

That said the new MBP's are a little lackluster. The new Razer Blade laptops actually have me thinking about going PC even if the cost is very similar, which is terrifying. My first computer was a  beige Mac workstation. I've never owned a PC. I probably won't go for it, but even if I stick with a desktop for the Xeon processors and stay mobile with iOS, (which is the setup I prefer) the fact that I can't put my own video card/ other expansion sans spending another $1K on a box) is silly to me. I edit all day long, but it's not the only thing I do at home. Is it dumb of me to look at the dual FP cards as an over priced option? They certainly aren't the best gaming cards going. Is it also wrong to look also look at the iMac as a glorified laptop and again, if you want to expand spend another $1k? Ugh It's not like I don't own Audio and Video expansion cards for Avid and Ptools for external monitoring. LOL what's a guy to do?

But here's why I bring it up, I don't really want a laptop. Hence my love of the tablet. I don't find traveling with a laptop all that practical and I don't see them as powerful enough for heavy work. An iPad is the perfect light weight option for me, but maybe the laptop is the perfect in between way to go for most people who don't want a desktop AND a laptop/ iPad. I would assume given one (most people only own one) the laptop is the way to go. 
  • Reply 16 of 22
    This is an article by IDC, who unless I'm mistaken, have only used market share as an indicator for being the best, rather than profitability.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    I wish Dilger had written this article.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Bring a full Mac tablet.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Please, such data have to presented in table. Is it that difficult. it is at least fifth time I call for that! It is that dead simple.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    kevtkevt Posts: 195member
    I'd be looking to upgrade my Mini 2 this year, but with the 4 only having an A8 and the performance difference A7=>A8 not being 20-25% in benchmarks, I'll wait. I was hoping an update would be announced around now for the holiday season, but need more reason than fingerprint sensor and being a few grams lighter to justify it.