Apple limits 2016 MacBook Pro models to 16GB of RAM to maximize battery life

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 179
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,555member
    I love how it's suddenly essential for Tim Cook to "articulate Apple's vision" and give the rest of the industry a real idea of where they're moving. It's like they're looking at Apple for the first time in their lives and looking for things to criticize, without having the slightest clue of what Apple is and does, or how they got to where they are.
    tmayericthehalfbeetallest skilnolamacguy
  • Reply 162 of 179
    tomo.commenttomo.comment Posts: 7unconfirmed, member
    rob53 said:
    Actually, the company at fault here isn't Apple, but Intel. Skylake doesn't support the needed LPDDR4 that would allow them to go to higher capacities. And Kaby Lake will only have support in the U chips, and U chips aren't mobile quad cores, so the 15" won't be able to get the upgrade even when they do go to KBL. 

In short, Intel continues to drop the ball. It's hard to imagine Apple isn't getting tired of this kind of crap. 
    Yep, it's time for an A-series MBP. Are there any RAM limitations with these CPUs? Intel has been late and underwhelming so time to move on, again. 
    We have to wait 2-5 years to get 32GB back because A-series is not as fast as quad-core. No one wants 32GB for dual-core 13inch. I'm sure Apple will launch A10X Macbook 12inch early next year. Then A11X or A12X will come to 13inch Macbook Pro. But it takes 3-5 years for A-series to be as fast as quad-core.
  • Reply 163 of 179
    Soli said:

...but we need to remember that our specific needs are not what Apple wants as we are not the target market. We are simply individual buyers. If we don't like it we can not by not buying it.

It's a professional machine for professionals. And maybe the graphics types can switch but those of us forced to use Xcode for development are a captured audience.
  • Reply 164 of 179
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    hmlongco said:
    Soli said:

...but we need to remember that our specific needs are not what Apple wants as we are not the target market. We are simply individual buyers. If we don't like it we can not by not buying it.
    It's a professional machine for professionals. And maybe the graphics types can switch but those of us forced to use Xcode for development are a captured audience.
    It is. I'm a professional and I'm fine with 16GiB. Not all professionals are the same. Maybe professionals don't even act professional when posting to tech forums.
    pulseimagesnolamacguy
  • Reply 165 of 179
    Soli said:

I'm a professional and I'm fine with 16GiB. Not all professionals are the same. Maybe professionals don't even act professional when posting to tech forums.
    And perhaps some "professionals" don't realize that their use case doesn't necessarily match that of everyone else?

Look, it's apparently an issue for a lot of people, given the number of comments here and the number of articles discussing the fact across the web.

Besides, what are the professionals supposed to do? Just sit back and be quiet? Complaining -- publicly -- tells Apple that some people aren't happy with their choices and those complaints -- sometimes -- get translated into action by Apple.
    ewtheckman
  • Reply 166 of 179
    I'm sure Apple will launch A10X Macbook 12inch early next year.
    Not nearly powerful enough.
  • Reply 167 of 179
    hmlongco said:
    Soli said:

I'm a professional and I'm fine with 16GiB. Not all professionals are the same. Maybe professionals don't even act professional when posting to tech forums.
    And perhaps some "professionals" don't realize that their use case doesn't necessarily match that of everyone else?
    That's an erroneous statement. I'm responding to your comment were you infer that it's not a pro machine because you feel your specific needs aren't be met.

Look, it's apparently an issue for a lot of people, given the number of comments here and the number of articles discussing the fact across the web.
    Everything is an issue for some people but saying "for a lot of people" means nothing as "a lot" is not definitive. I get that you and others want more RAM, but I bet most of your "a lot" lot would be complaining that it didn't have 64GiB (which is possible with Skylake) if you got 32GiB. I've never once seen a single update to technology where there weren't "a lot" of people bitching about something.

Besides, what are the professionals supposed to do? Just sit back and be quiet? Complaining -- publicly -- tells Apple that some people aren't happy with their choices and those complaints -- sometimes -- get translated into action by Apple.

You're asking what you're suppose to do as a professional? Do you realize that most people in their feilds are professionals, regardless of whether they use a computer for their work or not?

It's ironic because that people comes to some random Internet forum to complain about how they are so professional whilst acting unprofessional. No, jacking this thread with your bitching DOES NOT tell Apple a damn thing. What Apple listens to: a loss of sales.

But all of this is moot because you've continually ignored all other options from Apple with more than 32GiB and the reasons why the new MBPs are limited to 16GiB RAM.

nolamacguy
  • Reply 168 of 179
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    hmlongco said:
    Soli said:

no, lack of sales is what drives actions. 

tech site whiners never never shut up about anything & everything -- Nerd Rage. i think it's due to boredom. the next week they move on to the next source of faux outrage. 
    Soli
  • Reply 169 of 179
    Well, it's slow, overpriced, obsolete, has no touchscreen, no pen, and is not suitable for pro creative apps but hey, it's thinner!
  • Reply 170 of 179
    grangerfx said:
    Well, it's slow, overpriced, obsolete, has no touchscreen, no pen, and is not suitable for pro creative apps but hey, it's thinner!
    Which "pro creative apps" is it "not suitable" for? 

It's got the fastest currently available laptop processors. 
    It's got 160Gbps in external bandwidth, not counting wireless. 
    It'll fly with Logic, MainStage, Final Cut, and Photoshop. 

I kind of doubt that the machines are the problem in these endless discussions. 
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 171 of 179
    Soli said:

You're asking what you're suppose to do as a professional? Do you realize that most people in their feilds are professionals...
    Delving into semantics, now, are we? Sorry, but we're discussing a fairly expensive notebook computer with "Pro" in the name, aimed, per Apple's own product page, at professionals who work in the field with demanding needs and requirements that can't be met with an iPad Pro or even a mere MacBook.

(And, since you seem to be somewhat perplexed on the matter, the "work in the field" part pretty much precludes shoving an iMac or Mac Pro in your back pocket. So no, there are not other "options" that meet our needs.)

Apple's own marketing team during the introduction highlighted this notebook's supposed power for photo editing, video editing, and software development.

That said, there are "many" professionals and photographers and video editors and developers out there who're maxing out the headroom on their existing notebooks and NEED more space. There are a dozen people here in my office who were waiting to upgrade and who shook their heads at the lack of RAM.

My stepson told me over the weekend that everyone at his company has held off getting new MBP's while waiting for Apple to upgrade their lineup and offer more RAM. Now they have no idea what they're going to do. Management had even budgeted for the upgrade cycle and had planned purchases of over 2,000 notebooks a month over the next size months. (i.e. many)

And being Apple developers, they can't really jump ship and go buy a bunch of Windows computers. (i.e. options)

It may not be entirely Apple's problem, but it is a problem, and I, personally, have communicated as much to Schiller, in addition to using other channels as well as joining the discussion here and on various tech sites and blogs.

Finally, this very article and comment thread exists to discuss the RAM limitation, so no, neither I nor the others are "jacking" anything. (And if you don't think people at Apple follow the news and back channels, you're probably a lot dumber than you already appear to be.)

So, if you don't care for the discussion, or the tone, as far as I'm concerned you can pretty much grab a handful of Kleenex and go j**k o*f. 
  • Reply 172 of 179
    hmlongco said:

My stepson told me over the weekend that everyone at his company has held off getting new MBP's while waiting for Apple to upgrade their lineup and offer more RAM.

Me, too. When my old MacBook Pro finally failed, instead of buying a fully-loaded, top-of-the-line version of the current model like I usually do, I bought a less capable;e, less expensive "temporary" replacement just to hold me over.

hmlongco said:

Now they have no idea what they're going to do.

I didn't have that problem. I knew what to do. I bought what I could get so I can get back to work. I'd have preferred a version with more RAM, but, same as the last two times I've weighed going with something other than Apple, the only viable alternative I could find was Asus. They make some good machines and I wouldn't be unhappy, but overall, after comparing all the variables that matter to me, the Apple still won. It lost on price (though the gap isn't as wide as some people seem to think) and RAM, but won in other areas, not least being the P3 screen and zippity-quick storage.
    spheric
  • Reply 173 of 179
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    grangerfx said:
    what troll dreck is this? or is it opposite day?
    tallest skil
  • Reply 174 of 179
    hmlongco said:
    My stepson told me over the weekend that everyone at his company has held off getting new MBP's while waiting for Apple to upgrade their lineup and offer more RAM.
    Everyone?! Not a single person is willing to get a new MBP until  2018, possibly 2019, even though if they currently use a MBP they aren't using more than 16GB RAM. I'm not sure which of you is lying or being duped.
    pulseimages
  • Reply 175 of 179
    Reminds me of the reason why I shouldn't get locked into any of Apple's high end products. I realize when they make these types of stupid decisions, you're screwed. You have to switch to a whole new operating system to catch up with current technology. Also, the amd graphics cards are crap compared to Nvidia. Glitchy, and I can't use CUDA. What jackasses! Can someone please tell me what professionals are they referring to when they say MacBook Pro? Please!!!! Before, apple was always behind in tech, but their products still performed very well. Now, my 16gb laptop crashes all the time. That's why apple's MacBook pro's market share is declining, but they're too arrogant or stupid to notice!
  • Reply 176 of 179
    Can someone please tell me what professionals are they referring to when they say MacBook Pro? Please!!!! Before, apple was always behind in tech, but their products still performed very well. Now, my 16gb laptop crashes all the time. That's why apple's MacBook pro's market share is declining, but they're too arrogant or stupid to notice!
    There is something wrong with your laptop if it crashes when RAM gets tight. I had a mix project that required thirty gigabytes of RAM when I only had eight installed. It was hell, slow as molasses, and absolutely nerve-wracking, but it NEVER crashed. Not Logic, and most certainly never the entire machine. This was before Mavericks' memory compression, which reduced RAM requirements for this same project to EIGHT GB (from thirty) and made it fly on the same laptop.
  • Reply 177 of 179
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    hmlongco said:
    Soli said:

You're asking what you're suppose to do as a professional? Do you realize that most people in their feilds are professionals...
    Delving into semantics, now, are we? Sorry, but we're discussing a fairly expensive notebook computer with "Pro" in the name, aimed, per Apple's own product page, at professionals who work in the field with demanding needs and requirements that can't be met with an iPad Pro or even a mere MacBook.

(And, since you seem to be somewhat perplexed on the matter, the "work in the field" part pretty much precludes shoving an iMac or Mac Pro in your back pocket. So no, there are not other "options" that meet our needs.)
    When he said work in the field just meant work...not working in a mobile fashion.  The number of folks with real mobile field use needs are small.  

When I go in the field (which will be next month) I'll be shipping a Pelican case full of gear anyway.  Shoving an iMac or Mac Pro in there is not a big deal.  If I had to I'd ship 2 cases.  Folks do this all the time "in the field".  There are plenty of "options".  I've shipped 14U pelican cases with servers and ran them off generators.

Domestically FedEx is awesome...as every "pro" that works in the field knows.  Internationally it's a little pricey.
    Apple's own marketing team during the introduction highlighted this notebook's supposed power for photo editing, video editing, and software development.

And the machines are quite capable of all of these things except for a small number of users who are better off with a 27" iMac.

If you are editing in the field you either stuff the iMac in a pelican case and ship it or use proxy.  People edit 4K on a 2016 Macbook using ProRes 422 proxy.  Yes, there's a transcoding step and it's not as nice but no lugging around a desktop replacement laptop is nice too.  

For development trying to do development on a 15" screen is more a hindrance than 16GB RAM.  When I need multi-node VM test configuration I spin up a new set using the pre-built AMIs that devops put together for us.

That said, there are "many" professionals and photographers and video editors and developers out there who're maxing out the headroom on their existing notebooks and NEED more space. There are a dozen people here in my office who were waiting to upgrade and who shook their heads at the lack of RAM. 

And most are not.  Especially developers...the vast majority of which don't need to run 4000 VMs to develop their apps.

My stepson told me over the weekend that everyone at his company has held off getting new MBP's while waiting for Apple to upgrade their lineup and offer more RAM. Now they have no idea what they're going to do. Management had even budgeted for the upgrade cycle and had planned purchases of over 2,000 notebooks a month over the next size months. (i.e. many)
    Presuming "size" is a typo and you mean six then I call bullshit.  There aren't that many 8,000 15" MBP deployments and there's even fewer companies needing 8000 top end 32GB Core i7 15" MBPs.  

I bet even IBM with 100K macs deployed doesn't have that many top end MBPs deployed because if Apple offered 32GB at all they would be BTO based on the top model and run $3.5K even with volume discounts.

2,000 MBP at $2,500 each is $5M.  We have a large mac deployment and at our best discount 2000 MBPs would run at least $2.8M and that's for the lowest end 13" model.
    And being Apple developers, they can't really jump ship and go buy a bunch of Windows computers. (i.e. options)
    Even more bullshit.  If they needed 32GB for development before the new MBP then they would have been buying 27" 5K retina iMacs and keeping a smaller pool of maxed out MBP for folks that travel for a short time.  For any long term deployment then fedex'ing an iMac is more effective.

edited November 2016
  • Reply 178 of 179
    Oops, that was the MacBook "lite" products,  We will announce the "Pro" line soon.....
    singularity
  • Reply 179 of 179
    Entitled "Can We Put the 16GB "Pro" Myth to Rest?":

https://www.zdziarski.com/blog/?p=6355
    edited November 2016 spheric