Rumor: Apple mulls 20% Apple Music price decrease

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited October 2016
Apple is reportedly investigating a major price drop for its Apple Music streaming service, a move that could potentially trim $2 off the going rates of both individual and family plans by the holiday season.

Citing a pair of sources who have "worked closely" with Apple Music since its launch, Digital Music News reports Apple might lop as much as 20 percent off current subscription pricing.

If implemented, individual Apple Music plans would drop from $9.99 to $7.99 per month, while family plans could move from $14.99 to $12.99, a significant decrease when compared to competing services. Student pricing would remain unchanged at $4.99 per month.

The publication was quick to note that while "serious discussions" are ongoing within Apple, the cuts may not materialize. That said, the new price tiers could potentially debut as soon as December as part of a holiday promotion.

The report's wording implies the pricing launch as a one-time deal, meaning customers who sign up during the aforementioned holiday promo period will keep the reduced pricing as long as they continue monthly payments. Users signed up for the standard three-month trial window will automatically be switched to the new rate, while existing subscribers might be transitioned to the lower rate "if it becomes permanent," though details remain murky.

Driving discussions to lower Apple Music's costs is Amazon, which recently introduced an all-you-can-eat music streaming service called Music Unlimited, the report said. For regular consumers, Music Unlimited comes at a price commensurate of Apple Music's $9.99 per month fee, though that cost drops to $7.99 for members of the e-commerce giant's Prime program. Echo owners have access to an even more affordable $3.99 per month rates, though the plan restricts access to a single Echo, Echo Dot, or Tap speaker.

It should be noted that Digital Music News previously issued a spurious report claiming Apple would end iTunes downloads in the near future. Similar to today's report, the publication cited sources who worked with Apple but who are not directly affiliated with the company as saying the monumental change would occur either "within two years" or "the next 3-4 years, maybe longer."

The rumor was thoroughly debunked in separate statements from Tom Neumayr and services chief Eddy Cue, prompting Digital Music News to soften its prediction in a subsequent report.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,338member
    Forget Apple Music.  We need a 20% MacBook Pro decrease, and I don't mean in size and weight!
    mobiuselijahg[Deleted User]jbdragonrhoninpropod
  • Reply 2 of 30
    I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS
    Kenster999dasanman69
  • Reply 3 of 30
    jSnivelyjSnively Posts: 429administrator
    I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS

mattinozgoodbyeranchrob55jbdragonKenster999dasanman69rattlhed
  • Reply 4 of 30
    LOL
  • Reply 5 of 30
    I just wish Apple would but SiriusXM and fold that into Apple Music so I did not have to buy both
  • Reply 6 of 30
    jSnively said:
    I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS

Thanks for understanding
    jSnively
  • Reply 7 of 30
    Lowering the reasonably low Apple Music prices would be great for gaining more subscribers all over the world.

The Apple Music service with its impeccable UI is already the best and making it the most cost effective would really stick it to the competition and gain more subscribers.
    A lot of Android users would love this.  First they become Apple Music users then they become full blown iPhone users.

Apple Music totally rocks!

lostkiwitryd
  • Reply 8 of 30
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    jSnively said:
    I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS

What film?
  • Reply 9 of 30
    Lowering the reasonably low Apple Music prices would be great for gaining more subscribers all over the world.

The Apple Music service with its impeccable UI is already the best and making it the most cost effective would really stick it to the competition and gain more subscribers.
    A lot of Android users would love this.  First they become Apple Music users then they become full blown iPhone users.

That's my thinking for iMessage. For as many users would use that as an excuse to move to Android I think twice as many Android users will get a taste of these Apple services and switch to iPhone next time around. And it stops another chat service from completely taken over by offering cross-compatibility negating the reason to own an iPhone being a chat service in the first place. In Europe it's basically impossible to not have FB messenger or WhatsApp or both on your iPhone. With iMessage on Android we would get rid of these apps and have a more seamless messaging experience as iPhone users. And yes it makes it easier for people to switch, but also makes it easier to switch back and other points above are more crucial. With iMessage on Android other chat apps take over on both platforms like FB messenger and WhatsApp are in Europe and Asia.
    edited November 2016 jbdragon
  • Reply 10 of 30
    ireland said:
    jSnively said:
    I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS

What film?
    Better Off Dead
    Kenster999
  • Reply 11 of 30
    ireland said:

That's my thinking for iMessage. For as many users would use that as an excuse to move to Android I think twice as many Android users will get a taste of these Apple services and switch to iPhone next time around. And it stops another chat service from completely taken over by offering cross-compatibility negating the reason to own an iPhone being a chat service in the first place. In Europe it's basically impossible to not have FB messenger or WhatsApp or both on your iPhone. With iMessage on Android we would get rid of these apps and have a more seamless messaging experience as iPhone users. And yes it makes it easier for people to switch, but also makes it easier to switch back and other points above are more crucial. With iMessage on Android other chat apps take over on both platforms like FB messenger and WhatsApp are in Europe and Asia.
    Especially with the current uproar in Europe about facebook taking everyone's whatsapp data by default. Launching Apple's Messages as a secure, ad-free, no-spy, cross-platform free messaging service would be a brilliant move.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 12 of 30
    Haha, love the "i want my 2 dollars" jokes! Nice!  This would be a good idea, however SPOTIFY for students is only $4.99 Only issue with Spotify is you can't use siri to launch songs on the fly, like you can with Apple Music. 
  • Reply 13 of 30
    jdw said:
    Forget Apple Music.  We need a 20% MacBook Pro decrease, and I don't mean in size and weight!
    Yes and I sometimes need a longer ladder, but fail to see what it's got to do with this story. Other than you're repeating what you said on MR. Gosh I hate that website.
    mike1cali
  • Reply 14 of 30
    digitol said:
    Haha, love the "i want my 2 dollars" jokes! Nice!  This would be a good idea, however SPOTIFY for students is only $4.99
    As is Apple Music for students:

(€/$)

http://i.imgur.com/MLzju38.jpg
    edited November 2016 mike1
  • Reply 15 of 30

The Spotify UI could definitely be improved - a lot - but what many people like is the suggestion engine. I've given Apple Music a try but not in any great depth but from my experience and based on all the reviews I've read, Apple isn't so good at surfacing new music. If you want to be recommended a Coldplay song, Apple Music is fine but to discover new music, Spotify is better. The other issue is lack of Chromecast support. You can't cast Spotify from the desktop app either but you can cast any browser tab so that's a simple workaround that as far as I know, isn't an option for AM. Not sure if AM supports Google Now either so there are a few hurdles to getting Android users to switch beyond a UI and price, which I would guess is a race to the bottom.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member

The Spotify UI could definitely be improved - a lot - but what many people like is the suggestion engine. I've given Apple Music a try but not in any great depth but from my experience and based on all the reviews I've read, Apple isn't so good at surfacing new music. If you want to be recommended a Coldplay song, Apple Music is fine but to discover new music, Spotify is better. The other issue is lack of Chromecast support. You can't cast Spotify from the desktop app either but you can cast any browser tab so that's a simple workaround that as far as I know, isn't an option for AM. Not sure if AM supports Google Now either so there are a few hurdles to getting Android users to switch beyond a UI and price, which I would guess is a race to the bottom.
    Not everybody is looking to discover new music. Also, another way of saying having crappy new songs thrown at you like on the radio.
    thisisasj
  • Reply 17 of 30
    mike1 said:

Not everybody is looking to discover new music. Also, another way of saying having crappy new songs thrown at you like on the radio.
    That's sort of the point - it's not crappy music like on the radio - it's based on what you listen to and it's very good. Obviously not everyone wants to listen to new music and they would be good candidates for Apple to target. I guess Apple, with a slightly older user demographic might have realised that and that's why they didn't invest so much into the discover features
  • Reply 18 of 30
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
     This will destroy the competition but now the artist gets .000001 pennies per play.

I can't believe Apple hasn't opened  up the service to independent artists yet. 
  • Reply 19 of 30
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member

This is all your opinion. You may think that AM has a impeccable UI but others do not.

ireland said:

What makes you think that all of a sudden people would switch to iMessage and stop using whatever service they've been using for years? For them it would be yet another messaging service to download and use which they might not want to do. 
  • Reply 20 of 30
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    I doubt the music performers and songwriters would look favorably on lower subscription prices. Total payouts to them are limited to a fixed percentage of the subscription income (roughly 70% of what Apple and some others get), not a guaranteed payment per play. Lower streaming prices would result in less income for the artists, at least in the immediate term.