Kuo: Demand for new MacBook Pro models tepid due to high prices, disappointing specs

Comments

• Reply 61 of 211
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Need to wait a few quarters, maybe even a year, before anything can be said. 
    williamlondonschlackdysamoria
  • Reply 62 of 211
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    If I am Apple, I align Macbook refresh in-line with Intel's new processor release, not year after. With that said, the next upgrade should be in-line with 10nm Cannonlake processor to be released 2H2017 for 2018 Macbook pro upgrade with no compromises. Some leaked info suggests Cannonlake SoC that integrates 4/6/8 cores and Converged Coherent Fabric (CCF) which acts like a NorthBridge plus on chip voltage regulator.
    All 13" variant MBP should have the same configuration like number and bandwidth of ports and upgrade options irrespective of whether comes with OLED strip or not and base model should be affordable around $1199-$1299. Wish, Apple's A-processor achieves performance level to replace Intel so Apple don't have to rely on Intel's schedule.
    edited November 2016 schlack
  • Reply 63 of 211
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    What an enlightening piece of "news" from an analyst who is talking out of his ass and has a history of doing so. Oh, and razormaid, I don't remember the last time Apple refreshed their laptops before the school season, so stop pretending like this is new.
    williamlondonpscooter63ration aldysamoria
  • Reply 64 of 211
    The Mac Cube dilemma
  • Reply 65 of 211
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    On one hand you have people whining about the slow refresh cycle on the MacBook Pros and on the other hand you have people whining that Apple should have waited until Intel's next upgrade cycle in 2017/2018 for the next generation CPUs. So what people really want today is hardware that won't be available for 2 more years, and at a 25% price cut from previous generation products. Funny. 

MacBooks have always been products that provide stable, predictable, and high value performance for at least 5 years for professional class computing. Nothing in the Wintel world comes close. If you want cobbled together rushed-to-market products, in time for the back to school specials no less, go buy a Windows PC today, and again two years from todays, and again four years from today, and so on. Buying cheap costs more in the long run. All the while I'll still be pulling value from a single wise investment in a high quality, durable, resilient Apple product.

But if you're a hobbyist or enthusiast with lots of discretionary cash who just like to play with all the latest bleeding edge stuff, stable or not, go build yourself your own computer and then only YOU get to choose all the latest components that go into little science project. Will that stop the whining? Probably not, but it will at least be a distraction for you and some relief - for US.
    macplusplusnetmagewilliamlondonpscooter63uraharabrucemcration al
  • Reply 66 of 211
    I just laugh at people who bitch about not being more than 16Gig RAM.  There are less than 2% of us that will actually use more than that regularly.  I would also like to point out or maybe ask when the last time the CPU was the bottle neck?  Like never.   So why?  As for the price...The only ones that bitch are the ones that cannot afford it.  Those that can afford it know the value regardless of spec.  The last thing regarding spec and performance.  The true value is what can all of the components do for me?  When you add up everything what do I get?  With Apple you get AMAZING performance and value.
    williamlondonkudu
  • Reply 67 of 211
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    netrox said:
    I am definitely not buying a new MacBook Pro anytime. It's a huge disappointment. It's overpriced. It's underwhelming. Although TB3 is great but it will take a while for TB3 devices to come out. 

You know, throwing PRO in the name doesn't make it so!!! You need to do a whole lot more then that. At some point, people are just not going to take it anymore. Weak processors and limited Memory and now needing a bunch of DONGLES!!! You need you're USB-A dongles, and card reader dongle and so forth. I get the touch strip and I like that feature, but it is very thin and really skyrocketing the costs. To me it just looks like Apple wants even larger profit margins then they already have. How will they sell? We'll see, but I won't be buying one.
    schlackduervo
  • Reply 68 of 211
    Rayz2016 said:

All Apple needed to do was offer a MacBook Pro with 32 GB of RAM. 

THATS IT. 

And theyd fly fly off the preorder shelves. 

But instead we we get a stupid choice forced upon us with no option to choose one over the other. 

A quiet update ASAP with 32 GB BTO option or as a standard option would fix this.

The sooner the better. Next month would be great. 

The limitation is down to the Intel chipset which only supports 16GB

http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/10/31/intels-chip-design-not-apples-choices-reason-behind-thunderbolt-3-ram-issues-in-new-macbook-pro

Changing this now now would involve redesigning the laptop internals for a different chipset using desktop RAM and a larger battery. This would lead to redesign of the case to make the new setup cool properly. This, in turn, would require retooling the assembly line machinery. I'm not an expert, but this doesn't sound like something that Apple is going to fix 'next month'. 

Perhaps, as calmer minds have already suggested, it would be better to wait for real world test results before joining in the group hysteria. 

According to Apple, this crappy, underpowered, memory-starved, out-of-date laptop can drive two 5k monitors alongside its own Retina display. I think I'll wait to see the machine in action before writing it off. 
    It's amazing to me that some think it's this simple. As you rightly point out it's clearly not. Apple's never offered 32GB option in the past. What did this vocal minority do? How did they survive? 
    They suffered deep embarrassment at the hands of their PC owning friends. It's not like Mac OS has some kind of memory compression technology.
    http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/10/os-x-10-9/17/
    Soliration al
  • Reply 69 of 211
    A tricked out MacBook Pro to a college student is still less than than the cost of text books. Price is fine.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 70 of 211
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    jbdragon said:
    You know, throwing PRO in the name doesn't make it so!!!

Nor does buying something with "Pro" in its name make you a legit pro. It has mostly to do with your ability to deliver as an individual, of which your hardware figures in less than many people seem to think.

Real pros, in my experience, find a way to get the job done, with no whining (such as we've seen in abundance since the new laptop debuts).
    edited November 2016 williamlondon
  • Reply 71 of 211
    jbdragon said:
    netrox said:
    I am definitely not buying a new MacBook Pro anytime. It's a huge disappointment. It's overpriced. It's underwhelming. Although TB3 is great but it will take a while for TB3 devices to come out. 

You know, throwing PRO in the name doesn't make it so!!! You need to do a whole lot more then that. At some point, people are just not going to take it anymore. Weak processors and limited Memory and now needing a bunch of DONGLES!!! You need you're USB-A dongles, and card reader dongle and so forth. I get the touch strip and I like that feature, but it is very thin and really skyrocketing the costs. To me it just looks like Apple wants even larger profit margins then they already have. How will they sell? We'll see, but I won't be buying one.
    What processor isn't in this MBP that should have been?
    williamlondonspheric
  • Reply 72 of 211
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    It is almost 2017. Those 16 GB are not satisfying at all. 
    I demand 512 GB RAM by the end of the year, because a serious professional troll I really need it. 

Even if if they put only 128 GB RAM it won't be selling and Apple is doomed. Because bumping up the spec slightly is not innovation. 

If if they could make their laptops thinner, able to drive two 5K monitors, with better and louder (about 58%) speakers, with improved color gamut of the display, and maybe integrate secureID finger scanner into the machine, then and only then it is a good improvement. 

But it it is still not an innovation.
    I want my laptop to be able to press fresh orange juices. This would be innovation.
    Then could Apple (while pressing oranges) compete with Microsoft (which has 10 times lower profit margins than Apple). 

And its its winter time. I wish Apple notebooks had a better temperature controls. I need a MacBook Pro getting so hot that it would warm my whole appartment in winter. 
    But I don't think Apple owns patents on getting mobile devices as hot so that they would explode.

Really, Apple lost once again. As it was losing all those years while getting the highest customer satisfaction and driving their profits up above all others. 
    Just forget these Apple products. 

P.S. I am off to drink orange juice. 
    williamlondonartdentkudu
  • Reply 73 of 211
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    " ComputerWorld notes that if the latest 15-inch MacBook Pro benchmarks anywhere close to its claimed SSD performance, it will offer the fastest drive read and write speeds of any stock computer available – and that Apple is around two years ahead of most of its competition."
    edited November 2016 sphericration alkudu
  • Reply 74 of 211
    rogifan_new said:

Exactly. No one has yet presented a real world example where these new laptops couldn't meet their needs. They're just going off of specs and internet freakout. 
    Here you go....

I’m a developer. That means I need to run Xcode, Mail, Messages, Calendar and Slack and Terminal windows and Remote Desktop. I run SourceTree and Photoshop and Word and Excel. I have a dozen Mission Control spaces in which I keep open many, many, many Safari windows and tabs.

Not to mention my occasional need to run custom Linux and Windows Server test environments in VMWare. VMs take memory. Lots of memory.

So what’s my problem? Lack of RAM. I’m forever running out of space on my 16GB machine. I reboot at least once every 3–4 days or face crashing and an unstable machine.

https://medium.com/@michaellong/apples-new-macbook-pro-is-the-most-amazing-notebook-i-m-not-going-to-buy-753fbcfb2738#.bgyyady1x
    sphericdysamoriaduervo
  • Reply 75 of 211
    AppleBumAppleBum Posts: 37unconfirmed, member
    My early 2008 MacBook Pro died and I can't wait until the second half of 2017 to see if Intel can pull out a miracle by releasing a product on time. I was working with 4GB of RAM up until recently and I was okay with that in Photoshop and Lightroom. So I think I will be okay with 16GB.
    I'm in the same situation. As the old adage goes, "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush." While my mid 2010 15" MBP isn't quite dead, it's unreliable. I never know when it'll kernel panic and reboot.

I like having four TB3 ports, especially with all of them being full speed on the 15" model. That way, I can have pretty much as many instances of every interface I want except Firewire, and I wouldn't be surprised if someone came out with a TB3-to-FW adapter (assuming one isn't out there already).
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 76 of 211
    slurpy said:
    What an enlightening piece of "news" from an analyst who is talking out of his ass and has a history of doing so. Oh, and razormaid, I don't remember the last time Apple refreshed their laptops before the school season, so stop pretending like this is new.
    I would like a spreadsheet app that calculates numbers and gives answers like "tepid" or "incredible."
    spheric
  • Reply 77 of 211
    hmlongco said:
    rogifan_new said:

Exactly. No one has yet presented a real world example where these new laptops couldn't meet their needs. They're just going off of specs and internet freakout. 
    Here you go....

I’m a developer. That means I need to run Xcode, Mail, Messages, Calendar and Slack and Terminal windows and Remote Desktop. I run SourceTree and Photoshop and Word and Excel. I have a dozen Mission Control spaces in which I keep open many, many, many Safari windows and tabs.

Not to mention my occasional need to run custom Linux and Windows Server test environments in VMWare. VMs take memory. Lots of memory.

So what’s my problem? Lack of RAM. I’m forever running out of space on my 16GB machine. I reboot at least once every 3–4 days or face crashing and an unstable machine.

https://medium.com/@michaellong/apples-new-macbook-pro-is-the-most-amazing-notebook-i-m-not-going-to-buy-753fbcfb2738#.bgyyady1x
    Why aren't you using a desktop machine?
    williamlondonpscooter63kudu
  • Reply 78 of 211
    My early 2008 MacBook Pro died and I can't wait until the second half of 2017 to see if Intel can pull out a miracle by releasing a product on time. I was working with 4GB of RAM up until recently and I was okay with that in Photoshop and Lightroom. So I think I will be okay with 16GB.
    And if you keep this MacBook 5 years, you will still have 16GB of RAM in 2021.
    schlackdysamoria
  • Reply 79 of 211
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    Glad to see others are feeling like me. I was ready to insta-order a ~$2,000 MBP the moment it was announced, but was so disappointed in the specs and price point that I decided not to upgrade. That they're even shipping $1800+ Pro laptops with 8GB RAM or 256GB SSD is so not competitive...in the days where 16GB only costs $100 and a 512GB SSD only costs $100 (retail!).
    dysamoriaduervo
  • Reply 80 of 211
    Why aren't you using a desktop machine?
    Because I need a notebook. I work from home and from the office and on location at our clients and as such I can't simply stick a Mac Pro in my back pocket.

I'm in touch with a LOT of developers and a 15" MBP is pretty much standard issue. There are a dozen people here in my office who were waiting to upgrade and who shook their heads at the lack of RAM. 

My stepson told me over the weekend that everyone at his company has held off getting new MBP's while waiting for Apple to upgrade their lineup and offer more RAM. Now they have no idea what they're going to do. Management had even budgeted for the upgrade cycle and had planned purchases of over 2,000 notebooks a month over the next 6 months. (i.e. many)

It's becoming a major problem as technology stacks grow more complex and -- as iOS developers -- it's not like we can jump ship and use a PC........
    dysamoriaduervo