Apple issues first iOS 10.2, macOS 10.12.2, watchOS 3.1.1, tvOS 10.1 betas to developers

Posted:
in Mac Software edited October 2016
Apple on Monday issued the first beta versions of iOS 10.2, macOS 10.12.2 Sierra, watchOS 3.1.1 and tvOS 10.1 to developers for testing, all of which include unspecified bug fixes and performance improvements.

Release notes accompanying each of the four betas offer little information about what the updates include beyond maintenance changes, but large download packages -- 1.78GB for iOS 10.2 -- suggest new features are bundled with the software.

Major additions for iOS 10.2 include a selection of fresh wallpapers and emoji characters, which debut alongside minor additions like new first-party widgets and system settings tweaks.

The latest beta software does not contain the recently announced "TV" app that aggregates pre-recorded and live streaming content into one convenient location on tvOS, iOS and macOS. Revealed last week as part of Apple's MacBook unveiling, "TV" acts as a hub for streaming services, allowing users browse from a selection of curated content, search for new shows, tune in to live presentations, and more.

Apple said "TV" will launch on all three of its major platforms as a free software update in December.

Today's beta seeds come hours after the public release of iOS 10.1.1, a minor point update that addressed an issue that prevented some users from viewing data in the Health app. Last week, Apple issued iOS 10.1, bringing Portrait mode capabilities to iPhone 7 Plus, as well as Apple Pay and transit directions to users in Japan.

Developers can download the latest beta releases from Apple's developer webpage or directly on test devices via Software Update.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member

Apple said "TV" will launch on all three of its major platforms as a free software update in December.

You can bet it won't be on December 1.

• Reply 2 of 9
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Waiting eagerly for Apple TV Single Sing-On and TV App. Hope, part of next tvOS beta after 10.1.so can debut in early December.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Oh please tell me star ratings are in this beta!  I can't find evidence they made their way back in 10.1.  If you are a developer, please feedback the need for star ratings in the Music app.  I've done all I can at www.apple.com/feedback (where, by the way, there is NO "iOS" or "Music app" to choose so we're left guessing is it "iPhone" or "Apple Music" in which to deposit our feedback).  Thank you!
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 4 of 9
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,104member
    I always like / wait for  the x.2 versions.
    I don't know why, I just do.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Where the F is single sign-on?

People literally cheered when they announced this at the developer conference ... and we still don't have it.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Has anyone found a way to turn off the auto scan of everything from pumpkins to people to memories in Photos? Is it just me or is every new release of MacOS 'features' seemingly nibbling us closer to an iCloud away from 1984 and the database of AI? I now load every MacOS update on a clean install disconnected from the internet, just in case...

Did this used to be optional:

"When you first open Photos, it scans your library to identify people in your photos. After the scan is done, you can open the People album, view collections of photos organized by the faces in them, and assign names to the people Photos found. As you import new photos into your library, Photos scans them and matches any people in them to the people you’ve identified. You can also identify the people in your photos manually."

"Photos scans all of your photos and videos to find events, trips, locations, and people, and presents them in collections called memories. With Memories, you can rediscover special moments like a weekend hike or visit with a friend, or big events like a first birthday party or family vacation. Memories also shows you curated collections, such as your best photos of the year. Photos creates new memories automatically, and you can select a moment, collection, or album and add it to your memories yourself."

edited October 2016
  • Reply 7 of 9
    The latest update made typing text on my iPhone 6+ sluggish with it stalling and bursting forward.  Not sure what they messed up with 10.1, but typing worked just fine before and now it doesn't practically function.  I've reset the iPhone and I've taken it to the Apple Store and they told me that they have heard other people having this issue as well.  Not sure what they did with the keyboard, but it is seriously sluggish and needs fixing.  Anyone else with an iPhone 6 or 6+ having this issue?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    The latest update made typing text on my iPhone 6+ sluggish with it stalling and bursting forward.  Not sure what they messed up with 10.1, but typing worked just fine before and now it doesn't practically function.  I've reset the iPhone and I've taken it to the Apple Store and they told me that they have heard other people having this issue as well.  Not sure what they did with the keyboard, but it is seriously sluggish and needs fixing.  Anyone else with an iPhone 6 or 6+ having this issue?
    Sorry to hear that dude. I have a 7 plus and I agree this latest update is buggy. Broke the iMore app on the iPhone and the phone was getting seriously hot while loading CNET and just doing regular stuff. I did a reset and phone is now cooler doing the same tasks. IMore still broken though. 
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Please let this be the update that fixes the serious iPhone 7 Plus home button lag issue. I have reported the issue with every beta they've released since I got the phone over a month ago. Does anyone else have this issue? It takes the phone a full 2 seconds most of the time for the phone to actually take me back to the home screen after pressing the "button."