Apple releases iTunes 12.5.3 with minor changes

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited November 2016
Continuing a day of software releases, Apple on Monday pushed out a new version of iTunes bearing what appears to be minor bug fixes and performance enhancements related to last week's 12.5.2 release.

Release notes supplied alongside today's iTunes version 12.5.3 release contain a list of changes identical to those introduced last week. In particular, both updates address issues that in some cases caused albums to play back in the incorrect order, as well as a problem that prevented lyrics from displaying while listening to Beats 1 radio.

The lack of new change log notes suggests the latest version of iTunes includes minor bug fixes or extends compatibility to a wider set of users.

iTunes version 12.5.3 can be downloaded for free from Apple's iTunes webpage or via Software Update on Mac.

The last major iTunes update came in September with iTunes 12.5.1, which debuted a slew of aesthetic and behind-the-scenes upgrades to coincide with the release of macOS Sierra. Notably, Apple Music in iTunes received a facelift commensurate of similar changes applied to the Music app in iOS 10, support for Siri on Mac and picture-in-picture viewing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    dr. xdr. x Posts: 282member
    Shouldn't the title say Apple releases iTunes 12.5.3 with minor changes instead of 12.3.5?
    edited October 2016 redgeminipamacseekerunbeliever2
  • Reply 2 of 14
    softekysofteky Posts: 136member
    Dyslexia rules KO
    redgeminipa
  • Reply 3 of 14
    My version now says 12.5.3.16

• Reply 4 of 14
    Same here!
  • Reply 5 of 14
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Headlines AI, HEADLINES!
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Continuing a day of software releases, Apple on Monday pushed out a new version of iTunes bearing what appears to be minor bug fixes and performance enhancements related to last week's 12.5.2 release.

Release notes supplied alongside today's iTunes version 12.5.3 release contain a list of changes identical to those introduced last week. In particular, both updates address issues that in some cases caused albums to play back in the incorrect order, as well as a problem that prevented lyrics from displaying while listening to Beats 1 radio.

The lack of new change log notes suggests the latest version of iTunes includes minor bug fixes or extends compatibility to a wider set of users.

iTunes version 12.5.3 can be downloaded for free from Apple's iTunes webpage or via Software Update on Mac.

The last major iTunes update came in September with iTunes 12.5.1, which debuted a slew of aesthetic and behind-the-scenes upgrades to coincide with the release of macOS Sierra. Notably, Apple Music in iTunes received a facelift commensurate of similar changes applied to the Music app in iOS 10, support for Siri on Mac and picture-in-picture viewing.

I disliked because the version upgrade was to 12.5.3.  Member dr. x is correct.  The Mac App Store informed me of the 12.5.3 update today.
    unbeliever2
  • Reply 7 of 14
    It is still a resource hog and basically a POS piece of software. It used to 'Just Work'. Now? after all the bits that they have removed it does not even work IMHO. Remember Podcasts? Now they don't play in the car on a new iDevice yet and old one that can't be updated and has them as part of iTunes works fine.

I'd love to be able to tell itunes to NOT sync my device. The library is far too big for the device yet...
    In the end, I have to use a different account for my old 16Gb iPod and iPad mini (16Gb)  than my iPhone (128Gb)
    I don't want Music on my iPad but ITunes seems to think I do. My use case for the iPod and iPad are different yet iTunes thinks you want them to be identical. No I don't and the only solution from Apple was to use separate accounts. Pah.

Apple have lost the plot with iTunes (as with so many other things these days)

Rant over. Back to Coffee and breakfast.

• Reply 8 of 14
    Prompt to download purchased movies is still broken.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    It is still a resource hog and basically a POS piece of software. It used to 'Just Work'. Now? after all the bits that they have removed it does not even work IMHO. Remember Podcasts? Now they don't play in the car on a new iDevice yet and old one that can't be updated and has them as part of iTunes works fine.

I'd love to be able to tell itunes to NOT sync my device. The library is far too big for the device yet...
    In the end, I have to use a different account for my old 16Gb iPod and iPad mini (16Gb)  than my iPhone (128Gb)
    I don't want Music on my iPad but ITunes seems to think I do. My use case for the iPod and iPad are different yet iTunes thinks you want them to be identical. No I don't and the only solution from Apple was to use separate accounts. Pah.

Apple have lost the plot with iTunes (as with so many other things these days)

Rant over. Back to Coffee and breakfast.

Clearly you don't know how to use the software. I have no issue keeping music off my iPad and selecting exactly which playlists populate my phone and the iPod I keep in my car. Also, recent updates seem to have cleared up the issues I used to have with Airplay from my computer. Works perfectly now.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 10 of 14
    noivadnoivad Posts: 186member
    They keep fixing the playlist order issue, but I doubt they did since it keeps playing tracks out of queue order. Also, some tracks synced onto multiple iDevices are cut off. I’ve checked the original tracks on the Mac and those are complete. It might work fine for some people, but my library has close to 30000 songs taking up over 600GB of space. I think the sheer size of the library makes iTunes behave unpredictably. I regularly check storage for catalog errors—none, & DRAM has been solid. Other programs that take up more resources run as expected. iTunes bug fixes keep failing though. So, I’ve concluded it’s the dev team not stress testing their work under multiple scenarios. So, they don’t see display errors and inconsistent layouts/feedback, etc. until enough people report them. It’s sad the way this software has been neglected. iTunes “updates” to take more clicks to run, and is less a music player each version, and more a “what can you buy on iTMS today?” Sure, it makes more money, but the expense is a burden to UX.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    trydtryd Posts: 143member
    I don't have the problems you describe. My library has 210 354 songs taking up 3 TB disk space. It is a bit slow, but it is on a 7 year old iMac, so what can you expect.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    There are now 3 threads in Apple Support forums regarding this update breaking the ability to add new songs to iCloud / iTunes Match. When adding music, iTunes crashes when connecting to iCloud. I'd hold off on this until a fix is released.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    This update has killed SRS iWOW plug-in, in fact, all of my plug-ins.  :'(

Anyone else find this?
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Apple have apparently pulled this update. "12.5.3" was showing on my App store updates, but when I clicked "update" it disappeared. iTunes is still 12.5.2.35.