Future of the iBook

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Let's discuss the future of the iBook.

I don't think it will get a revision before MWNY 2002 (July). At that time, I think it will get a speed bump, more ram, more HD, perhaps a better video chip, perhaps 13.3" screen with same resolution.

Thoughts?

-'pert

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    I can't see the current iBook enclosure accommodating a 13.3" screen without moving the airport antenna as well as the internal microphone. In other words, I think we will continue to see the same 12.1" screen in this iBook at least until they change the case design. So I doubt this will be something we see change for some time. And to be honest I don't see this as a bad thing. Those iBook screens are sweet

Any changes we see (while they stick with the current enclosure) will be along the lines of CPU, RAM, Optical drive configurations, Hard drive size, whether or not airport becomes standard (something I think should be happening on the top end of the powerbook and even top end iBooks now--in fact should have been happening for a while now)...
  • Reply 2 of 13
    I don't think a margninal change in screen size can help the iBook any.

The current screen is *amazing* and I never even think about the fact that it's small.

To be honest, I'm having a hard time coming up with anything Apple could do to make me wish I had this new 2002 iBook instead of my 2001.

But here goes:
    • Better speakers

• Option key on right hand side of keyboard instead of crappy "enter" key

• Touch-sensitive power button, like on the front of the displays/cube

• Bluetooth, there I said it

• 6.5 hours battery life

• Second firewire port

• Real monitor, not mirroring

• 16 processors

• Just kidding

• Reply 3 of 13
    G4 chip

faster combo drive

256/512 MB RAM on motherboard

Bluetooth

LEP or other exotic screen tech move to 13.3" if costs cue up

Polymer battery a la iPod..
  • Reply 4 of 13
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    [quote]

The current screen is *amazing* and I never even think about the fact that it's small.

[/QB]<hr></blockquote>

It is amazing but increasing the size of the screen to 13.3 would be more productive without sacrificing resolution very much.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I think the only thing that could make the iBook better right now is a G4. The screen is amazing, it's very fast now and it's just an overall great machine.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    I don't think the iBook will get the G4 until 2003 at the earliest. For this to happen, the iMac needs to be G4, the towers need to be G5 and the PowerBook probably needs to be G5 as well. So G4 iBooks are aways off, don't you agree?

-'pert
  • Reply 7 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by Rupert:

<strong>I don't think the iBook will get the G4 until 2003 at the earliest. For this to happen, the iMac needs to be G4, the towers need to be G5 and the PowerBook probably needs to be G5 as well. So G4 iBooks are aways off, don't you agree?

-'pert</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, I think it'll be quite a while before the iBook gets a G4.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Have had the DVD iBook 600 for over three days and still love it

The screen is small but text is amazingly sharp and clear.

So far I haven't had any complaints. But if you want to here some of my requst I would like the next iBook to have:

Dual 1Ghz G4
  • Reply 9 of 13
    glurxglurx Posts: 1,031member
    [quote]Originally posted by Rupert:

<strong>I don't think the iBook will get the G4 until 2003 at the earliest. For this to happen, the iMac needs to be G4, the towers need to be G5 and the PowerBook probably needs to be G5 as well. So G4 iBooks are aways off, don't you agree?

-'pert</strong><hr></blockquote>

IMO It all depends on if/when the iMac gets the G4. I think Apple tries to position the iBook as a portable iMac. The iMac needs to be updated and the next version may have a G4 and/or a flat screen etc. If it gets a G4 then I expect the iBook to follow within six months.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Maybe the iMac might become the non-portable iBook?

Hmmm
  • Reply 11 of 13
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    What the i book needs more is a better video card in order to play 3D games like the TI book, i guess we will see radeon video card in i book next year.

For the chip two possibilities :

- all macs are G4 or G5 based

- Apple is buying IBM chips with no altivec unit (but the presence of a simd unit in the next generation of IBM's chip is not clear).
  • Reply 12 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by glurx:

<strong>

IMO It all depends on if/when the iMac gets the G4. I think Apple tries to position the iBook as a portable iMac. The iMac needs to be updated and the next version may have a G4 and/or a flat screen etc. If it gets a G4 then I expect the iBook to follow within six months.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, but the it'll always have to be a slower G4 because of the PowerBook.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    no no on the processors in use.

The iBook, PowerBook, and iMac all had the G3 at the same time, when the powermac was the only computer with a G4. If the powermac gets a G5, it will probably be the only mac with this chip for quite awhile (possibly as much as two years). By that time the G3, in its current form, will probably not be in production any longer. no no... G5 powermacs, different flavor G4's for everything else.