See the new & refreshed emoji in Apple's first public beta of iOS 10.2

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple on Tuesday released the first public beta of iOS 10.2, which introduces new and updated emoji characters, including some more "realistic" depictions of objects and items.

The public beta is free to download for anyone registered in Apple's Beta Software Program. The new emoji are believed to conform to the Unicode 9.0 standard, and include about 72 new icons, such as a clown, bacon, a selfie, and a sneezing face. Existing ones have also been redrawn with more detail, and/or different styles.

Dang. The ancient Apple emoji -- which were never really meant to be seen bigger than 32 ? 32 -- are redrawn quite well in iOS 10.2! Good job! pic.twitter.com/X6WskExq1D

-- Cabel Sasser (@cabel)

Apple has also added things like a widget for the Videos app, three new wallpapers, a "Preserve Camera" setting, and a "Press and Hold to Speak" menu under Accessibility settings for the home button.

The Messages app has a new "Celebration" fullscreen effect, and the status bar has an additional headphone icon, making it clearer when Bluetooth audio accessories are connected. The icon was already visible to Beats Solo3 owners.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    Yeah! more emoji :)
    edited November 2016 doozydozen
  • Reply 2 of 26
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    When is enough enough? I'm gonna hate scrolling through all these useless Emoji.
    baconstangperkedel
  • Reply 3 of 26
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    Thank God Apple is finally innovating.
    paxmandoozydozenurahara
  • Reply 4 of 26
    Still haven't fixed the gun. It's not appropriate to have a water pistol when all other platforms will render it as a revolver. 
    peterhartmike1sully54tallest skilperkedel
  • Reply 5 of 26
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    "Preserve Camera" setting

Long overdue.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 6 of 26
    Brendan JarmuszBrendan Jarmusz Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    They've been Super Sized! Apple is following McDonald's!
    [Deleted User]
  • Reply 7 of 26
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    cali said:
    When is enough enough? I'm gonna hate scrolling through all these useless Emoji.
    So don't   ;)
    edited November 2016 doozydozenlollivernolamacguyurahara
  • Reply 8 of 26
    doozydozen
  • Reply 9 of 26
    They've been Super Sized! Apple is following McDonald's!

doozydozen
  • Reply 10 of 26
    (Deleted; Apple emojis don't work on AI posts, apparently).
    edited November 2016 doozydozen
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Great. More emojis. Wish Apple included a search function in the emoji panel. That would make emoji use a lot more functional.
    doozydozenperkedel
  • Reply 12 of 26
    (Deleted; Apple emojis don't work on AI posts, apparently).
    Unless the everyone is on Unicode 9 [the browsers] what makes you think they would?
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Now back to the important stuff...does iOS 10.2 beta bring back star ratings in the Music app?
  • Reply 14 of 26
    What kind of dongle do I need to use the new emoji's, are they backward compatible?
    perkedel
  • Reply 15 of 26
    I like most of the object icons. Many emojis that related to emotions just don't make sense most of the time. It's easy to see laughs, cries, anger, a whole lots of something in between....
  • Reply 16 of 26
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    cali said:
    1) why are you scrolling? 2) they're aren't useless.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 17 of 26
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    2stepbay said:
    Great. More emojis. Wish Apple included a search function in the emoji panel. That would make emoji use a lot more functional.
    it already does. you can enable emoji suggestions in the keyboard when typing words with emoji equivalents. 
    doozydozenurahara
  • Reply 18 of 26
    Darn, the new peach emoji doesn't look like a booty anymore :–(
    What will be the new butt emoji? Such a dilemma. 
  • Reply 19 of 26
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Still haven't fixed the gun. It's not appropriate to have a water pistol when all other platforms will render it as a revolver. 
    Why is it not "appropriate"? Also, please outline some real scenarios where you need to use a revolver emoji, I'm morbidly curious to see how you (and others who think like you, typical ultra right wing gun nuts) are actually impeded by this. Do you often suggest violence/murder in texts? Give me some examples where you need to constantly display a gun. 
    doozydozeniosenthusiast
  • Reply 20 of 26
    slurpy said:
    Why is it not "appropriate"?
    Take a guess.
    Also, please outline some real scenarios where you need to use a revolver emoji, I'm morbidly curious to see how you (and others who think like you, typical ultra right wing gun nuts) are actually impeded by this.
    “Honey, I hear someone trying to break in downstairs; rush home with your [can’t actually type emoji here]!!!” Works a little better than “He tried to rape me, but thankfully I had my [squirt gun] full of hydrochloric acid.”

It’s a matter of hegelian dialectic, and I don’t appreciate being told the type and manner of things about which I can speak. Also, if you don’t believe that innocent life is worth protecting, you can fuck off.