Apple adds First National Bank of Texas, 22 other US banks & credit unions to Apple Pay

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple Pay on Tuesday gained support for 23 additional U.S. financial institutions, filling in some of the country's increasingly narrow coverage gaps.

As has become standard for American expansions, the new banks are typically regional institutions serving a limited audience. There are some exceptions however, such as the First National Bank of Texas, which has branches in many parts of the state ranging from major cities like Austin and Dallas through to smaller places like Bryan. Despite its name, the bank also has a smaller number of branches in Arizona and New Mexico.

The full list of additions includes:
  • 3Rivers
  • Atlantic Stewardship Bank
  • Bank of Franklin County
  • Bank of Southern California
  • Bristol County Savings Bank
  • Center National Bank
  • Century Bank
  • Chadwick Federal Credit Union
  • Citizens Independent Bank
  • City & County Credit Union
  • Community National Bank Seneca
  • CPM Federal Credit Union
  • Elmira Savings Bank
  • First Community Bank (VA, WV, NC, TN)
  • First Keystone Community Bank
  • First National Bank of Texas
  • Fort Hood National Bank
  • Freedom of Maryland Federal Credit Union
  • Hoosier Heartland State Bank
  • Monroe Federal Savings and Loan
  • North Dallas Bank & Trust
  • SC State Federal Credit Union
  • Southside Bank
In Russia, meanwhile, Apple has added nine more financial partners, fixing what was extremely limited support involving MasterCard and Sberbank.

Apart from the U.S. and Russia, Apple Pay is currently available in Australia, Canada, France, Switzerland, the U.K., New Zealand, Singapore, Japan, mainland China, and Hong Kong. Spain should be added by the end of the year.
jbdragon

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Still no corporate Visa card support as far as I know
    PNC 'promised' corporate card inclusion to Apple Pay back in 2014. Has not happened 
  • Reply 2 of 11
    That photo — First National Bank — is that a former gas station, or do US banks have drive-through ATMs like that? I can't see the pic clearly enough to make out what's between the drive-thru lanes We have drive-up ATMs here in Canada, but they are usually on a side of a building or a standalone larger kiosk. I've never seen a bank that looks like a gas station before. It's actually a neat idea. :)

Just curious. :)
  • Reply 3 of 11
    That photo — First National Bank — is that a former gas station, or do US banks have drive-through ATMs like that? I can't see the pic clearly enough to make out what's between the drive-thru lanes We have drive-up ATMs here in Canada, but they are usually on a side of a building or a standalone larger kiosk. I've never seen a bank that looks like a gas station before. It's actually a neat idea. :)

This drive thru allows interaction with tellers inside the bank without having to go inside the bank using vacuum tube canisters and intercom systems.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 4 of 11

This drive thru allows interaction with tellers inside the bank without having to go inside the bank using vacuum tube canisters and intercom systems.
    I love the vacuum tube canisters, always thought they were neat as a kid. The trouble around my area is the canister lane is almost always closed. I probably haven't seen one used in 25 years. So disappointing. 
  • Reply 5 of 11

I love the vacuum tube canisters, always thought they were neat as a kid. The trouble around my area is the canister lane is almost always closed. I probably haven't seen one used in 25 years. So disappointing. 
    East coast here, nr Philadelphia - lots of these type of banks. pnc, m&t bank lots of air cannisters in daily use...

• Reply 6 of 11
    Still no corporate Visa card support as far as I know
    PNC 'promised' corporate card inclusion to Apple Pay back in 2014. Has not happened 
    Chase Business cards aren't available either. Really irritating. We switched from Chase's Southwest Airlines card to their Southwest Airlines Business card and lost Apple Pay. Grumble.
  • Reply 7 of 11

Some of them have ATMs in the drive-through lanes, some have the older vacuum mechanisms. I've seen both, with ATMs typically replacing the vacuum systems as they break down/age out/succumb to remodeling. The ATMs are designed to be accessed from a car, they are a pain in the ##@*!%* to use while standing up-- luckily there's usually a walk-up ATM as well.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

That is genius! 

• Reply 9 of 11
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member

Very common. Both lanes may be ATMs or one lane may be a teller and the other an ATM.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    TD Bank/Target really need to add the Target Red Card to Apple Pay.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 11 of 11
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member

Ya, same here.  I remember those as a kid riding ing the car with my mom, generally to get some cash.  Does any bank still actually use them?.  The older banks still around from that time, pull the machines from the drive through so they're long gone, but the drive through lanes remain.  It requires employees working behind glass running things for each lane.  That went away as the banks brought in ATM's.  That's cheaper too do then paying people.  

Between ATM's and pumping your own gas, that was really the start of self serve.  I still remember the transitional phase with self service and full service lanes at gas stations.  Or that back in high school when I started driving you could at times get gas for under $1 at the cheap places.

While it's great to keep Inc adding more and more banks.  I'd like you also see more and more major chains supporting Apple Pay.  Does no good if it works for your bank but few places you shop at.