Phil Schiller: New MacBook Pro has more orders from Apple than any other pro model ever

Comments

• Reply 61 of 197
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    OK, so let's see, if one wants Retina, 13 inch, 256 GB; the options are

2015 MBP: $ 1,500
    2016 MBP: $ 1,500

Next options down
    2015 MBP w/o 256 GB: $ 1,300
    MB w/o 13 inch: $ 1,300
    MB Air w/o retina: $ 1,200

So essentially, retina is worth $ 300, 1 inch screen size is worth $ 200 (plus you get a slow machine), and 156 GB are worth $ 200. 

But you are right, I am wrong. There are offerings in the $ 1,200-1,300 space, each missing only one feature (except the MB, which is missing two: one inch and some power). Now I just need to dig into why the 2015 MBP w/256 GB costs the same as the 2016....

• Reply 62 of 197
    Rayz2016 said:

But if this thing is as bad as people have been saying it is, then no one would buy it. They'll wait for the next one, or move to Windows as folk here have said they would. I mean if you cannot POSSIBLY work in anything less than 32GB of RAM then the machine is useless to you. 

I suspect the real reason is that Apple knows more about its customers than we do. 
    Please point to even a single claim that 16GB of RAM is not sufficient for most people. You can't because no one has made such a claim. I would be totally shocked if 16GB was insufficient for 90% of notebook users. In fact, I think it's probably north of 95%.

The complaint has been that Apple seems to be ignoring that remaining high end who actually does need more when making decisions about engineering tradeoffs.

But hey, if you want to argue against a claim that no one is making, feel free. Meanwhile, those of us who think carefully about things will feel equally free to treat such arguments with all the respect they deserve.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 63 of 197
    larrya said:
    "The card was excised because of the "path forward" with more generic physical card readers, or the growing implementation of wireless transfer.

Schiller says that the 3.5mm headphone jack was retained for professionals with audio gear that do not have wireless solutions, and still need the jack for macOS."

So, the "professional" solution to mass storage is wireless, but professionals don't have access to BT headphones. It's getting deep in the spin room. 
    It's not only about headphones ... "professionals with audio gear"
  • Reply 64 of 197
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    lkrupp said:
    Negative people are much more likely to rant and rave on web forums...
    I remember a saying from my A/V days. It went something like, "One unhappy customer is more vocal (or louder) than 10 happy customers."
    adonissmuewtheckman
  • Reply 65 of 197
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    SD card reader is cumbersome? Really? Then all ports are cumbersome. Just remove all ports from all devices. Pathetic!
  • Reply 66 of 197
    sflagel said:
    Build a computer with a large Touch Bar and allow developers to write applications that display the menu on the Track Bar when in full-screen mode. That would be interesting!
    I have a feeling, with palm rejection technology built into Trackpad of the new MacBook Pro, in time Touch Bar will come down and merge with Trackpad. That way you can operate with two hands, one on touch screen Trackpad and another on Touch Bar that lays side by side, in sync like a music conductor. For left hand people you even will be able to switch the function to your hand preference. 
    edited November 2016 sflageldysamoria
  • Reply 67 of 197
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    blastdoor said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    blastdoor said:
    Well, there's a lot of pent-up demand because they haven't updated for so long. 

Let's see how the sales look after 6 months. 
    But if this thing is as bad as people have been saying it is, then no one would buy it. They'll wait for the next one, or move to Windows as folk here have said they would. I mean if you cannot POSSIBLY work in anything less than 32GB of RAM then the machine is useless to you. 

I suspect the real reason is that Apple knows more about its customers than we do. 
    It's not that black/white. 

It is in this case, because this happens at almost every product release. It's human nature. We have people who use Macs because it offers them the experience that is the best for them. Then we have a small vocal group that thinks that using Apple products marks them out as something elite. When a pro user – a real pro user, complete with six monitors, four keyboards and beard that he pays good money to keep untidy – says that the machine hasn't got enough memory, these wannabes think 'Yeah, I'm that guy too! I want more memory!' Neither the pro or the wannabes have tried the machine and so right now have no idea if it has enough memory or not.

There are a variety of needs among Apple's customers. I don't doubt that these new laptops meet the needs of many (perhaps even a majority) of Apple's customers. 

My guess is that it meets the needs of the people Apple is targeting.

But the new machines are clearly a disappointment to many (probably not a majority) of Apple's high-end customers. 

Really? How many of these high-end customers have received them yet? You see, you're assuming they're not because you read it somewhere. The real professionals will assess the machine and then decide whether or not it suits their needs.

I think it is a mistake for Apple (and those Panglossian Apple fans who reflexively defend everything Apple does) to believe that just because these high-end customers are not a majority of consumers that they don't matter.

And I think it's a mistake for the whiners who want to be part of the pro club to assume that that machine is junk without actually using it.

Partly they matter because some of these folks are Apple's most die hard fans -- the ones who evangelize Apple products and provide support to family and friends. Partly they matter because while every individual niche represents a minority of users, it could very well be that the some of all the minorities is a majority. 

Yeah, the problem with that line of thinking is that if Apple makes a machine to suit all their die-hard fans, then it would start at $20,000 and wouldn't actually fit in any of their houses.

Speaking strictly as an owner many AAPL sh *snip*

Yeah, I think we're done. Once you're running the world's most successful consumer electronics company, then feel free to pop back and tell us all about your shares and how they made you an expert in tech market strategy.

edited November 2016 ai46
  • Reply 68 of 197
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    Rayz2016 said:
    blastdoor said:

yes. Apple's customers are now consumers.

through the 90s and early 00s, i think us professional Apple users were used to being catered to, 68k to PPC to Intel all happened for great reasons & we knew it benefited us.
    Now the same group of professionals has been completed overshadowed by the mass market that Apple has come to signify.
    edited November 2016 dysamoria
  • Reply 69 of 197
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    seankill said:

I have two dongles for my mid-2012 Pro, I would need 5 or so for this new one. 

Or one 4.4 x 1.8 x 0.5 inch USB-C hub.

3x USB3.1, 1x 4K HDMI, 1xSD, 

https://amzn.com/B019R9ILTG

Looks like the most recent version has all the kinks out and it's only $64.99.

Seems like folks prefer to whine about something where existing solutions exist for the 1 port MacBook.
  • Reply 70 of 197
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    seankill said:
    The next couple of years are going to be interesting for Apple. Their drive for thin products is getting ridiculous.

The Touchbar strikes me as something like the S7 Edge. Not convinced it is a groundbreaking new UI that I would use, unless I decide to like Emojis.....
    Your mileage may vary.

Not to mention a user couldn't connect their 1 month old iPhone 7 (+) to this laptop without a dongle. Not to mention SD cards, USBs, HDMIs....... I totally understood DVI, VGA, Cd drive, and MAYBE Ethernet but no HDMI? Every projector I have seen in the last 4 years uses HDMI; you know, what "professionals" do with laptops. The included port is why I bought the mid-2012 retina. 

Apple needs to get their interface connections in order. It is sloppier than I have ever seen it with poor consistency. If they are going to cold turkey USB-C on their products, the iPhone 7S/8 better go that way as well.

Of course, Apple apologist will find some reason that Apple is prefect. 

Dude, all my friends use wifi to connect to their iPhones.

You don't need any wire let alone a dongle unless it's bricked. Get on with times.
    brucemc
  • Reply 71 of 197
    Rayz2016 said:
    Larger installed base + pent up demand + update = record orders.

Any real surprise?

out of date + stingy memory + higher price + no lightning + no USB-A + gimmicky touchbar + no HDMI + no DVI + no DisplayPort + no VGA + no parallel port + no chipset that hasn't been released yet + no SCSI interface + widespread internet bitching = record orders??

I think your maths is a little off. 

You forgot "can't plug iPhone". I squirm every time I read that, and I'll never take someone who said that seriously. 
    edited November 2016 anome
  • Reply 72 of 197
    wood1208 said:
    Off course Apple employees and companies like IBM will buy these new Macbook pro who is moving away from Windows laptop partially or entirely. But, that is not whole Macbook pro market. Millions of college students is big market for Macbook Pro. All kinds of Professionals out side of large corporations is another big market with higher performance, longer battery need. Than, rest of us with need for lighter and cheaper Macbook Pro. So, Apple please have mercy on us and drop base model(8GB,256 SSD, no OLED) price to affordable $1199.
    http://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/macbook-air
  • Reply 73 of 197
    I would have liked it if they had kept 1 legacy USB socket - type A.

As for headphone jack, dont use it anymore, went bluetooth early this year.

• Reply 74 of 197
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

What's interesting to me is how many of the internet based complaints are from people who identify themselves as software professionals who constantly run VMs etc. for comprehensive software testing, but they're dismissing the 2016 MBP without even trying it first. Those two things don't go together: "I constantly test things for a living" and "I'm making a snap judgement about something I haven't used". 
    What's even more funny is some of these guys are clinging to 2012 laptops and 2010 devops.  You can set up an automated CI pipeline on AWS using CodeDeploy/CodePipeline for relatively little money and auto deploy to a testing configuration with OpsWorks recipe.  You can do that with internal servers too using other tools.

But they must all be building multi tier web applications while disconnected from their network for large amounts of time.
  • Reply 75 of 197
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Wait, I thought no one was buying these because the Touch Bar was a gimmick and without more than 16GiB RAM no one can do any work¡

blastdoor said:

Considering how brilliant these groundbreaking innovations and advancements are, I'm guessing they will be great then, too.
  • Reply 76 of 197
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    Imatrix077 said:
    sflagel said:
    Build a computer with a large Touch Bar and allow developers to write applications that display the menu on the Track Bar when in full-screen mode. That would be interesting!
    I have a feeling, with palm rejection technology built into Trackpad of the new MacBook Pro, in time Touch Bar will come down and merge with Trackpad. That way you can operate with two hands, one on touch screen Trackpad and another on Touch Bar that lays side by side, in sync like a music conductor. For left hand people you even will be able to switch the function to your hand preference. 
     am an amateur. But I agree. It looked quite awkward how they were multi-tasking on stage with one hand above the keyboard and one below. Apple must have made that decision for a good reason; but that reason may go away one day.
  • Reply 77 of 197
    sflagel said:
    irnchriz said:
    sflagel said:
    Apple does not have a normal-priced 13 inch retina laptop. That is a major oversight since that is what almost everybody who is not a professional film editor wants, no? Normal price is $ 1,200 - $ 1,300. Am I wrong?

Yes!

2.7GHz Processor 
    128GB Storage

• 2.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor
    • Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
    • 8GB 1866MHz memory
    • 128GB PCIe-based SSD1
    • Intel Iris Graphics 6100
    • Two Thunderbolt 2 ports
    $1,299.00
    sorry. let me correct myself: normal-priced 13 inch retina laptop, with enough storage space so that I can save more than 2 movies and an iPhone back-up on it....
    A 13" Retina laptop can only be Pro model because of the battery and improved internals to drive the Retina Screen. Last year's model with 128 GB is just for you. You can save not only 2 movies but several movies on 128 GB. MacOS Sierra's iCloud Desktop and iCloud Documents features will be of great help to you when you run out of disk space. So do not waste your time here, go to an Apple Store to talk...
  • Reply 78 of 197
    irnchriz said:
    The internet is about clicks and you get more with hate that love.
    I love that comment... no, wait... I hate it!
  • Reply 79 of 197
    rob55 said:
    lkrupp said:
    Negative people are much more likely to rant and rave on web forums...
    I remember a saying from my A/V days. It went something like, "One unhappy customer is more vocal (or louder) than 10 happy customers."
    "The squeaky wheel gets the grease."
    dysamoria
  • Reply 80 of 197
    Apple is smart enough to know there will always be a vocal minority of whiners. Give users great specs, hardware, and software (not to mention innovation) and people will whine that the machines are too expensive. Build a machine for the future and people will whine about what has been lost (I mean really, do you remember the wailing when Apple removed the floppy drive? How is the loss of the SD slot any different? Note to boo-hooing photographers: grow up). In the meantime, the furor will die down and orders will pile up. Apple knows what the hell it is doing.
    Soli