Master & Dynamic launches metal-and-leather MW50 Bluetooth headphones

Posted:
in General Discussion
Perhaps seizing on the trend towards Bluetooth headphones instigated by Apple's iPhone 7, Master & Dynamic this week launched its MW50 on-ear headphones, which offer a more luxury-oriented alternative to Apple's Beats products.

The MW50s are made primarily of stainless steel, with a cowhide leather headband, and lambskin leather wrapped around memory foam earpads. Despite their metal construction, M&D says the headphones are a third lighter than its top-of-the-line MW60s.

In terms of performance, the MW50s use 40-millimeter beryllium drivers for sound, with a range between 5 and 30,000 Hz. Twin microphones are used for voice input, helping to filter out noise. Battery life is rated at 16 hours, and controls are located on each cup.

Bluetooth range is claimed to be three times the industry average, which is typically 33 feet. M&D hasn't, however, supplied any precise specifications, beyond support for Bluetooth 4.1 with aptX audio.

A bundled 3.5mm stereo cable can be used when Bluetooth isn't an option. The supplied charging cable, notably, is based on USB-C, and can also be used to deliver firmware updates.

The MW50s are available directly from Master & Dynamic for $449, in silver/black or silver/brown color schemes. The company is also a premium, featured headphone vendor in Apple's retail stores and online.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    If they're stating they can get 3 times the distance of typical Bluetooth, they're using a Class 1 bluetooth chipset.  Other companies offer similarly.  I'm using Plantronics Back Beat Pro's that do indeed offer ~100' of usable connectivity, but only when connected to my rMBP, as iPhone and iPad do not have Class 1 chipsets.  It makes sense, given the higher energy needs a Class 1 chip has, would kill the iPhone battery.

These do look really nice and I totally dig the use of real leather.
    edited November 2016 doozydozen
  • Reply 2 of 8
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,283member
    Certainly look much classier and upscale than the Beats stuff. Wonder how they sound.
    freshmakerdoozydozen
  • Reply 3 of 8
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Replace the aluminum with faux-patina brass and there's your steampunk.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Gee only $480 bucks for headphones, I'm sure I'll run right out and grab a pair. Cheers!
  • Reply 5 of 8
    mike1 said:
    Certainly look much classier and upscale than the Beats stuff. Wonder how they sound.
    That's the key.  I'm curious as well.  I like the look of the Beats offerings, but the pair i bought sound like junk.  Hope this brand is higher fidelity.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    And where's the W1 chip for next-gen seamless pairing like Beats and Apple AirPods?

I have a pair of Solo Wireless 2's, and while there are much better sounding headphones on the market, these are not bad at all, and if I am going to shell out money on another pair, they will be W1 equipped or bust.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 7 of 8
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    If they're stating they can get 3 times the distance of typical Bluetooth, they're using a Class 1 bluetooth chipset.  Other companies offer similarly.  I'm using Plantronics Back Beat Pro's that do indeed offer ~100' of usable connectivity, but only when connected to my rMBP, as iPhone and iPad do not have Class 1 chipsets.  It makes sense, given the higher energy needs a Class 1 chip has, would kill the iPhone battery.

These do look really nice and I totally dig the use of real leather.
    It doesn't really matter. If I'm going to buy the iPhone 7, I'm going to want the W1 chip. Why would I buy anything else? Apple has set the bar for huge expectation and hasn't delivered. Moreover, these headphones use AptX which isn't supported by iOS, and it's possible that the W1 chip actually utilizes a custom applications of AAC. 
  • Reply 8 of 8
    ntsdavenportntsdavenport Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I listened to the over-ear Bluetooth M&D headphones at a local Apple Store, and I was disappointed with what I heard. Especially compared to the Beats Solo3, believe it or not. (With bass reducer EQ enabled on the latter.) 

Also, in regards to the Solo3 headphones' W1 chip, I am currently reviewing them, and so far the Bluetooth pairing with my phone was hassle free, but switching devices is inexplicably glitchy. I'll have to give it more time.