OWC announces Thunderbolt 3 Dock with ports galore, returns functionality to new MacBook Pro

Comments

• Reply 21 of 103
    Every time I see one of these I have PowerBook duo w/duo dock flashbacks. 
    jasenj1viclauyycaknabi
  • Reply 22 of 103
    The device is estimated to ship in February of 2017.
    So in about four months there will be an inelegant quasi-solution to jury rig an inadequate computer?  After the theatrical headline I thought something had already happened.
    dysamoriaviclauyyc
  • Reply 23 of 103
    digitoldigitol Posts: 276member
    Are you serious!? Defending this sad release with, quotes like we left the headphone jack for pro users. Phill Schiller, go fuck yourself. I can't believe I'm saying that. I used to look up to you man. Sad. 
    dysamoriaviclauyycaknabi
  • Reply 24 of 103
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    digitol said:
    Are you serious!? Defending this sad release with, quotes like we left the headphone jack for pro users. Phill Schiller, go fuck yourself. I can't believe I'm saying that. I used to look up to you man. Sad. 
    get a grip, you're hysterical. this Nerd Rage is just more of the same nonsense after every apple release, a few months from now you won't care and will find something else to rage about. 
    teknishnRayz2016roundaboutnowbaconstangwilliamlondonmacxpresspscooter63stevehwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 103
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    $300 extra expense for ports that used to be included in the price of the laptop. Nice.
    baconstangviclauyycsingularityaknabi
  • Reply 26 of 103
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    dacloo said:
    $279
    Introductory price. Actually $300. 
  • Reply 27 of 103
    prokipprokip Posts: 178member
    Phil Schiller, Jonny Ive, Tim Cook... honestly guys  this is too much.  If you are going to cut the usual connection options on your gear, at least make it easy for us long suffering, really long time loyal Apple customers ( I go back to an Apple II - want to see my collection of now useless dongles, expansion boxes etc, etc.  I have enough to sink the Titanic) by providing original full featured dongles, breakout boxes etc as part of the deal.  I now have to spend another $299 on top of the increased piece of the MBP just to be able to connect my plethora of gear to your machines.  Argh ....    (I am not as direct "digitol" above !)
    jasenj1mj webaknabi
  • Reply 28 of 103
    I bought one of the USB-C docks for my MacBook. It's a piece of garbage. The thing broke on me without much usage. In addition to that, I had Ethernet driver problems when Sierra came out and lots of trouble with USB flash drives. 
  • Reply 29 of 103
    $27... mother of gawd. Yep, I'm good with having some adapters on standby.
  • Reply 30 of 103
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    What, no MicroSD slot?
    What, no 10GigE?
    What, no VGA?
    What, no ADC?
    What, no Serial?
    What, no Parallel?
    What, no eSATA?
    What, no USB Type-B, Type-B SS, Mini-A, Mini-B, Micro-A, Micro-B, or Micro-B SS?
    What, no BNC connector for Token Ring?
    bestkeptsecretMauriziomacxpressnolamacguypscooter63brucemcDeelronstevehanome
  • Reply 31 of 103
    digitol said:
    I was there when apple dropped SuperDrive, FireWire, Ethernet and more from the mbp. The sun came up the next day. And I was completely content adjusting to 'moving forward' after a short adjustment. That's what Apple does. They move things forward because nobody else will. 
    Soliwilliamlondonnolamacguypscooter63Deelronstevehwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 103
    teknishn said:
    digitol said:
    I was there when apple dropped SuperDrive, FireWire, Ethernet and more from the mbp. The sun came up the next day. And I was completely content adjusting to 'moving forward' after a short adjustment. That's what Apple does. They move things forward because nobody else will. 
    It's crazy. Thunderbolt was a huge advancement in high-speed data throughput that was protocol agnostic and allowed for communication data and video without issue. It was a boon that Apple invented their own DisplayPort connector that was much smaller than what VESA had created and then got VESA to adopt it and Apple licensed it for free. Then we see Intel try to get TB to be supported by the USB-IF who said "no way!" which Apple then offered up their smaller and better port interface even though using USB would have allowed adoption to increase much faster. And let's not forget that Intel was behind the original USB creation. Then we see finally replace their robust 30-pin connector with the small and reversible Lighnting connector just to see the USB-IF come out with something very similar called USB-C after decades of cheap USB port interface designs that were prone to get bent on the Mini and Micro sizes. I've heard rumours that Apple helped them designed USB-C, but I don't care how they did it—they could have used alien technology or one of their wishes from a magic lamp for all I care—I'm just glad we now have a robust, reversible, high-speed, universal port interface that supports DisplayPort and Thunderbolt and 100W of power that is future-forward and will be able to scale with the future of personal computing. For me, this is finally the PC industry stepping out of adolescence and into adulthood.
    edited November 2016 bestkeptsecretroundaboutnowMauriziopaxmannolamacguypscooter63brucemcrandominternetpersonDeelronkirkgray
  • Reply 33 of 103
    It's a laptop that's way too big and expensive for the email / web browser market, but way too limited for professionals.  Of course the sun comes up tomorrow, and this laptop still sucks.
  • Reply 34 of 103
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Soli said:

I've heard rumours that Apple helped them designed USB-C, but I don't care how they did it—they could have used alien technology or one of their wishes from a magic lamp for all I care—I'm just glad we now have a robust, reversible, high-speed, universal port interface that supports DisplayPort and Thunderbolt and 100W of power that is future-forward and will be able to scale with the future of personal computing. For me, this is finally the PC industry stepping out of adolescence and into adulthood.
    I remember reading a claim from John Gruber that Apple invented it, but they realised that if people found out they were behind it then it would never be adopted as a standard. 

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2015/05/apple-files-european-patent-regarding-work-on-unified-connector-usb-c.html

http://www.cultofmac.com/321363/apple-patent-explains-how-usb-c-will-make-every-other-connector-obsolete/

At the very least I'd say they were a driving force. 

Solikirkgray
  • Reply 35 of 103
    Rayz2016 said:
    Soli said:

I've heard rumours that Apple helped them designed USB-C, but I don't care how they did it—they could have used alien technology or one of their wishes from a magic lamp for all I care—I'm just glad we now have a robust, reversible, high-speed, universal port interface that supports DisplayPort and Thunderbolt and 100W of power that is future-forward and will be able to scale with the future of personal computing. For me, this is finally the PC industry stepping out of adolescence and into adulthood.
    I remember reading a claim from John Gruber that Apple invented it, but they realised that if people found out they were behind it then it would never be adopted as a standard. 

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2015/05/apple-files-european-patent-regarding-work-on-unified-connector-usb-c.html

http://www.cultofmac.com/321363/apple-patent-explains-how-usb-c-will-make-every-other-connector-obsolete/

At the very least I'd say they were a driving force. 
    I don't buy the cloak and dagger story that Apple had to invent it in secret because the world wouldn't accept it if Apple was behind it. What matters is that it's a great USB port interface that is adopted and licensed by the USB-IF. They would at least know where it came from. Usually there are many big companies involved with the creation, like with the original USB standard. 

I agree you that at the very least Apple's creation of Lightning was a huge influence of what the USB-IF wanted for the future of USB.

In the end, I don't care if it was designed by the Samsung department responsible for the Galaxy Note 7 batteries and Blackberry's ex-co-CEOs—it's an amazing connector that's now in an amazing laptop. I can't wait to get my new MBP.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 103
    For those that want HDMI but don't care about Ethernet, he's a much cheaper option.

• Reply 37 of 103

I think the last time there was so much negativity around an Apple release, it was the Mac Pro in 2013.

I, for one, just can't wait to get my hands on a new 15" MBP. I do not have a single USB-C accessory or dongle. I've gotten used to the idea of moving files from and to my iPhone wirelessly. I just can't wait to break free of all old wires and just go with the new MBP.

I'll probably pick up one converter for old USB accessories and a couple of USB-C thumb drives.

I just find the new machines to be absolutely superb. Probably the most future-proof machine right now.

SoliwilliamlondonnolamacguybrucemcDeelronstevehkirkgraywatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 103

I think the last time there was so much negativity around an Apple release, it was the Mac Pro in 2013.

I, for one, just can't wait to get my hands on a new 15" MBP. I do not have a single USB-C accessory or dongle. I've gotten used to the idea of moving files from and to my iPhone wirelessly. I just can't wait to break free of all old wires and just go with the new MBP.

I'll probably pick up one converter for old USB accessories and a couple of USB-C thumb drives.

I just find the new machines to be absolutely superb. Probably the most future-proof machine right now.

I'll do what I did in 2013 when I bought a MBP without an Ethernet port. I'll pick up a TB adapter, but I don't think I've ever used it in over 3 years. I'll do the same for USB-C just in case, but it'll be the same situation, most likely, and it'll be a better situation since there are thousands of low-cost USB-C accessories to choose from and because USB-C is gong to the de facto standard for a decade plus.

Last Thursday Monoprice had 1260 USB-C products. Today they have 1322.
    I even bought multiple USB-C cables to see how much power my two cig lighters and one USB port in my car can power my 15" MBP while driving.
    bestkeptsecret
  • Reply 39 of 103
    This one is much cheaper and even has Gigabit Ethernet, as well as HDMI. Granted, it's not a "desk design" and is less "pro", but I got one and I'm very satisfied. https://www.amazon.com/Juiced-Systems-USB-C-Multiport-Gigabit/dp/B01JD9GN6I
    williamlondon
  • Reply 40 of 103
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Looks legit. For most pre-USB-C needs I think upgrading one's cable collection is the first thing to do.
    Mini USB to USB-C.
    Micro USB to USB-C.
    "Printer cable USB" to USB-C.
    Lightning to USB-C.
    One's monitor connection to USB-C/ tb3.
    After that it's time to see what USB-C hub one would really need, and whether it has to be stationary or mobile. I noticed that Dell has a few offerings as well.

http://www.slashgear.com/dell-outs-usb-c-and-thunderbolt-3-docks-and-macs-can-play-too-06420821/