Apple not preparing to swoop in on Time Warner if AT&T takeover fails - report

Posted:
in General Discussion
Regardless of whether or not AT&T's proposed acquisition goes through, Apple isn't interested in buying Time Warner, a report reaffirmed on Wednesday.

Time Warner Center in New York City.

Apple hasn't submitted a bid, though in theory the situation could change, sources told CNBC. In late October, AT&T announced a deal to buy Time Warner worth over $85 billion -- there has already been public and political opposition to such an enormous merger, however, which could result it in the deal being blocked, and possible openings for other companies.

Past reports have said that Apple raised the prospect of buying Time Warner in talks several months ago, but that it never went beyond preliminary stages or involved the companies' CEOs. Apple has allegedly been monitoring AT&T's moves, but possibly because of how a Time Warner deal would affect content Apple can sell or stream.

Time Warner is a massive media conglomerate on its own, owning networks like HBO, TBS, and CNN, studios like Warner Bros., and by extension DC Comics. For Apple controlling this would give it a major edge in content, particularly if it can finally launch its rumored streaming TV service.

At the same time, Apple is unlikely to invest in businesses it has no experience with, and their own entanglements such as contracts with cable and satellite providers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    This is so stupid. All the gossip around it came from the NY Post. They were the ones to originally report that Apple was interested. Why would anyone trust the NY Post re: Apple?
    schlack
  • Reply 2 of 11
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Maybe Exxon could buy Time Warner.
    To help them get out of the oil business.
    /s
    lolliver
  • Reply 3 of 11
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    AT&T lost several billion dollars on their attempted purchase of T-Mobile. They are unlikely to succeed with this buyout. Federal regulators are almost certainly going to block the AT&T-TW merger -- consumers would lose out with reduced competition and higher prices. I have no idea where AT&T would get the funding for such a merger.

Apple needs to stay away from this, even though they have access to the cash to do it.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    schlackschlack Posts: 719member
    "For Apple controlling this would give it a major edge in content" How so? Wouldn't apple be required to license time warner content to everyone else, first in order to keep revenue from collapsing at time warner and second, to avoid any government interference in the deal? Would be so much cheaper and so much less risk to just license the stuff at a tiny fraction of the cost of time warner.
    edited November 2016 bestkeptsecret
  • Reply 5 of 11
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,258member
    Makes sense to me -- I see no value to apple in buying time warner. 
  • Reply 6 of 11
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    linkman said:
    AT&T lost several billion dollars on their attempted purchase of T-Mobile. They are unlikely to succeed with this buyout. Federal regulators are almost certainly going to block the AT&T-TW merger -- consumers would lose out with reduced competition and higher prices. I have no idea where AT&T would get the funding for such a merger.

Apple needs to stay away from this, even though they have access to the cash to do it.
    I agree. I think this merger will be blocked. It sounds like the biggest problem is the so called "zero rating" issue, which exempts services from data caps. 
  • Reply 7 of 11
    That's exactly what they would say if they were preparing to swoop in on TW. They're probably waiting for the DOJ to put the kibosh on the merger. 
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Buying TW makes enormous sense strategically for Apple. It would put them so much closer to their goal of a self-driving Apple TV. 
    lolliver
  • Reply 9 of 11

If Apple buys TW, then we'll probably see JLA vs The Avengers!!

Hey, Spielberg managed to get Daffy & Donald and Bugs & Mickey together. They were Disney and TW properties. Similar things can happen...

• Reply 10 of 11
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Apple buying a content provider makes no sense. They aren't joking when they said the future of TV is apps. Or one app (the TV app). That gets all the content. 
  • Reply 11 of 11
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    It's like saying to help Apple News buy the New York Times. Or buy a record label to help Apple Music. Or buy Pixar to help iTunes videos. 

Makes no sense.