Concept imagines OLED Touch Bar on Apple's wireless Magic Keyboard

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
With Apple's dynamic Touch Bar now official on the latest MacBook Pros, fans are imagining what the feature might look like on other Mac products, such as the wireless Magic Keyboard.

Reddit user "Hazza42" was inspired to create renderings showing what a Magic Keyboard with Touch Bar might look like. Just as on the new MacBook Pro, the concept Magic Keyboard replaces the row of function keys with a dynamic multi-touch display strip.

In a change from the existing Magic Keyboard, the concept is a longer, full-size keyboard, including a separate area for arrow keys and a full number keypad to the right. This extends the Touch Bar much further than it stretches on the MacBook Pro.

While it's unlikely that Apple would ditch its current compact design for a larger form factor, the concept gives an idea of how a Touch Bar could operate for Apple's desktop machines, including the iMac and Mac Pro.

There's also a question of how the addition of a Touch Bar would affect battery life. The current Magic Keyboard, without any sort of touch screen, lasts a full month between charges. The addition of a Touch Bar, though, might necessitate a dedicated power cable, which could be enough to keep such a product from ever seeing the light of day.

In the trio of mockups, the Touch Bar is shown offering quick links to popular apps and sites, including Photos, Facebook and Google. The concept also features links to system services like Siri, search, and volume controls, as well as a Touch ID fingerprint sensor.

In one mistake, the Touch ID sensor is shown in the middle of the imagined Magic Keyboard Touch Bar. On the MacBook Pro, the Touch ID sensor is located to the right of the Touch Bar, and is not a part of the display.

Apple's Touch Bar will debut in a few weeks, when the new MacBook Pros begin shipping. AppleInsider partner B&H is also offering exclusive discounts on the newly released MacBook Pros.
neo-techjahbladejagnut

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I wonder what battery life would be on these?
  • Reply 2 of 62
    I fail to see how the drain from the touchbar could be so big that it would reduce battery life for the keyboard from 1 month to effectively 0.
    If it were to be incorporated (and I hope it will) I would imagine that a battery life of at least 48 hours would be feasible. Additionally Apple could turn off the touchbar display whenever the mac computer screen is in sleep mode to conserve energy.
    Metriacanthosaurusrandominternetpersonbloggerblogjagnut
  • Reply 3 of 62
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Doesn't look like Apple will make a longer wireless keyboard again.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 4 of 62
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Donvermo said:

If it were to be incorporated (and I hope it will) I would imagine that a battery life of at least 48 hours would be feasible. Additionally Apple could turn off the touchbar display whenever the mac computer screen is in sleep mode to conserve energy.
    Obviously they'd conserve power at any chance, but with 48 hours on the battery—in your example—there's no way Apple releases such a product. If the battery was that short lived they'd release it as a wired product. But however sense wired makes Apple may not think it cool enough. I also find it very sad the goons on MR are bowing before this thing but did nothing but mock the Touch Bar on the MBP. Bunch of juvenile idiots. What Apple are missing however is a 3D Touch desktop trackpad.
    edited November 2016 randominternetperson
  • Reply 5 of 62
    I have doubts about an external TouchID reader. I think if it came to the desktop it would end up being on the machine, not on the keyboard. You don't want to transmit that stuff wirelessly. 
  • Reply 6 of 62
    ireland said:
    Although you could argue the other way in that they may be required to make a longer wireless keyboard simply so there is enough room to house a larger battery, which the Touch Bar will require. Personally, I don't mind whether a new Touch Bar keyboard is wired or wireless, just so long as it's the longer variety.

As for the 48 hour comment above, that's effectively a wired keyboard - it'd be plugged in too often to be considered wireless, there'd be no reason to unplug it (only to have to plug it back in 2 days later).
    fotoformatrandominternetperson
  • Reply 7 of 62
    holyoneholyone Posts: 398member
    I have doubts about an external TouchID reader. I think if it came to the desktop it would end up being on the machine, not on the keyboard. You don't want to transmit that stuff wirelessly. 
    But you already do with you're iPhone for Apple Pay on Safari on older Macs, I'm really perplexed by Apple's inconsistent implementation of TouchID, all Macs should have gotten it years ago also the Siri remote shouldn't been released with out it their current solution for payment authentication there has too much friction IMO, confusing
    redraider11
  • Reply 8 of 62
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    ireland said:
    Did they ever? I don't recall a wireless extended keyboard. Been wanting one for years.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 62
    "In one mistake, the Touch ID sensor is shown in the middle of the imagined Magic Keyboard Touch Bar. On the MacBook Pro, the Touch ID sensor is located to the right of the Touch Bar, and is not a part of the display."

It isn't a mistake... it's someone imagining what it could be like. Their idea is probably that it's faster to reach up with your index feature to input your fingerprint.
    You really think the person who took the time to create this accidentally put the touch id in the middle? LOL
    edited November 2016 mike1mobius
  • Reply 10 of 62
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member

The MacBook Pro Touch Bar is systemically-separate from the rest of the machine, powered by a subsystem that is effectively running a pared-down version of watchOS, according to research done by others. This iOS-based subsystem then communicates securely with macOS. It does not send the fingerprint information to macOS, only a "yes, authorized" or "no, not authorized". The same setup could be embedded into the keyboard, and then only the authorization response would be transmitted over the wireless waves. But that does mean that your fingerprint is stored in the keyboard, not in the Mac, and that may be enough reason to not implement it this way.
    williamlondonMetriacanthosaurustheunfetteredmind
  • Reply 11 of 62
    mike1 said:
    ireland said:
    Did they ever? I don't recall a wireless extended keyboard. Been wanting one for years.
    There was an extended "ice tray" model. 
  • Reply 12 of 62
    nhughesnhughes Posts: 770editor
    cpenzone said:
    "In one mistake, the Touch ID sensor is shown in the middle of the imagined Magic Keyboard Touch Bar. On the MacBook Pro, the Touch ID sensor is located to the right of the Touch Bar, and is not a part of the display."

It isn't a mistake... it's someone imagining what it could be like. Their idea is probably that it's faster to reach up with your index feature to input your fingerprint.
    You really think the person who took the time to create this accidentally put the touch id in the middle? LOL
    A number of comments I have seen do not realize that the Touch ID sensor is not actually a part of the OLED display on the MacBook Pro. I suspect this vagueness was somewhat intentional by Apple — the Touch ID sensor is a flat black intended to blend in with the Touch Bar to the left of it, even though the fingerprint sensor displays nothing.

So yes, I think it might have been an honest mistake.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 13 of 62
    While I agree than an external Touch ID sensor wouldn't fly, I'd sure love to see an Apple wireless extended keyboard using their new key tech. Still using the old "ice tray" model. 
  • Reply 14 of 62
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    I like it. I see no reason why it wouldn't work, especially as a wired keyboard, which I've always had and will always buy. My keyboard is always in front of my iMac on a desk, not in my lap or somewhere else. Having the Touch ID sensor in the middle is fine with me. It breaks up the OLED display into two parts, giving Apple and applications different areas for different things. Of course, I'd have my Magic Trackpad next to the keyboard for full gesture use (just like the MBP). Surprised this wasn't included in the mockup. I still use a mouse but with a Touch Bar and Trackpad, I might learn how to go without one. 
    larrya
  • Reply 15 of 62
    Not true at all. I would imagine that if the authentication process resided in the keyboard, only a simple Yes or No would need to be sent to the computer.
  • Reply 16 of 62
    mike1 said:
    ireland said:
    There was an extended "ice tray" model. 
    Thanks. I'll have to search the interwebs for a photo. I don't remember that at all.
  • Reply 17 of 62
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Call me old school but I like the present wired keyboard, the one with the number pad. The day Apple decides to go with a full LED keyboard is the day I order a lifetime supply the wired version.
    farmboydacloo
  • Reply 18 of 62
    thedbathedba Posts: 763member
    I'd be one of the first in line to get one of these even if I'd have to recharge it every 10-15 days. A sleep mechanism on the OLED touch bar would do the trick when idle.
    I wouldn't be surprised something like this being announced first calendar quarter 2017, with refreshed iMacs. 
    As long as it works with my 2015 MBP I'm in. 
    randominternetpersonpaxman
  • Reply 19 of 62
    I'd buy 2 of these in a second... wired preferably. I use all 19 function keys and the keypad on the wired keyboard with my ProTools rig.
  • Reply 20 of 62
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    rob53 said:
    I like it. I see no reason why it wouldn't work, especially as a wired keyboard, which I've always had and will always buy. My keyboard is always in front of my iMac on a desk, not in my lap or somewhere else. Having the Touch ID sensor in the middle is fine with me. It breaks up the OLED display into two parts, giving Apple and applications different areas for different things. Of course, I'd have my Magic Trackpad next to the keyboard for full gesture use (just like the MBP). Surprised this wasn't included in the mockup. I still use a mouse but with a Touch Bar and Trackpad, I might learn how to go without one. 
    Concur. Wonder if we will see this when the iMacs are updated?