Apple iPhone's global marketshare dips to 12.1 percent on problems in China & Africa

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    holyone said:
    I also feel Apple's stores could go a long way in selling the Apple prestige and desirebility, I mean I get the low income and high prices but I live in South Africa and there are like three Ferrari shops I know of and not a single Apple brick and mortar store in the hole of Africa ?, maybe in time, sucks though
    Could a South Africa Apple Store generate the same amount of revenue like all other Apple Stores? 
  • Reply 22 of 58
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    Only thing that matters is that Apple continues to grow its installed base of users. It appears they are having success with that 
    ration alcali
  • Reply 23 of 58
    red oak said:
    Only thing that matters is that Apple continues to grow its installed base of users. It appears they are having success with that 
    This is a number the analysts not getting. 
    lostkiwicali
  • Reply 24 of 58
    ireland said:
    Anywhere near 10% is amazing considering the price of iPhones—especially the cost outside the US.

The cheapest iPhone Apple make is $555 in Europe. The cheapest iPhone 7 is $863. In Asia and India and Europe most people simply cannot afford an iPhone. Also Android has improved enough over the years as to be good enough for most people and the majority buy on price. So they buy a few Android phones and eventually maybe get an iPhone and in the meantime those Android numbers add up.

The best news of all for iPhone users is our ecosystem still seems to be the best. I think now's a good time for Apple to consider releasing that version of iMessage on Android. Best phones, best apps, best add-on-product ecosystem, and then an out of the box internet messaging system we can contact the whole 100% on. Without relying on Facebook Inc., Google Inc. or lousy SMS. The you also have a super out of the box messaging experience. And they need to great simplify iMessage signup too. I think it should work through your phone number and it's less hassle to signup then.

Despite some Apple diehards saying it'd be a bad move for Apple I disagree. And getting hooked on iMessage makes it very easy and tempting for an Android user to want an iPhone to get the full Apple experience and their messages just show up on their new iPhone like magic. That's an awesome experience. It is: we at Apple work so hard on our product and are so confident the experience is better that it's that experience which keeps people here and gets them to switch over. Experience should trump everything.
    They won't hook on iMessage. They'll continue to use WhatsApp. Switching a messaging app is not easy, people hold a tremendous amount of history, i.e. memories there. Beyond that, that would put Apple under an unnecessary privacy burden from the Android side. Unnecessary disputes, class actions, hate campaigns and alike. And hackers would steal the encryption keys on the Android side in a week. This is nothing to do with being Apple diehard. Security does not tolerate compromise. You're secure or not. There is no such thing as less security more security or less security more functionality.
    lostkiwicali
  • Reply 25 of 58
    holyoneholyone Posts: 398member
    tzeshan said:
    holyone said:
    I also feel Apple's stores could go a long way in selling the Apple prestige and desirebility, I mean I get the low income and high prices but I live in South Africa and there are like three Ferrari shops I know of and not a single Apple brick and mortar store in the hole of Africa ?, maybe in time, sucks though
    Could a South Africa Apple Store generate the same amount of revenue like all other Apple Stores? 
    No, but Could help establish the Apple fandom, I probably the only person I know who even cares about Apple like that, look the danm thing doesn't even have to be big just a small little thing with a 50 staff members generate buzz when they release products, I mean that question could be asked of Inida really, the point is Apple isn't thought of here as it should be most consider it the same as all the trash because their devices are bought at the same places and smaller Apple stores that don't cost that much to maintain could show the "Apple Difference" with out needing to generate a million dollars a day, an investment in a future market, no ?
    bb-15cali
  • Reply 26 of 58
    sricesrice Posts: 120member
    I do wonder if Apple has a goal to get 10% of the PC market and 10% of the phone market.  

If they start getting too much marketshare, raise the price and remove ports.  Only half joking.
    bb-15
  • Reply 27 of 58
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    tzeshan said:
    maestro64 said:
    tzeshan said:
    There is a simple way to improve the iOS to make it more useful globally.  I can tell Apple if Apple can pay me as a consultant. 

I beat your solution is to give up profits to sell more widgets... When are the Business Schools in this country going to stop teaching it is always better to sell more at a lower price verses selling less are a far high price with larger margins. Since everyone in the market are leveraging the exact same supplier chain, Apple cost are no higher or less than another else's. No one had the cost advantage because they are making more of something. In some cases Apple unit costs are higher since Apple pays to ensure supply of parts.
    No, your bet is lost. My idea is an improvement on Siri. 
    ideas are worthless since theyre easy and without risk or difficulty. implementations are the only thing with value.

whats your idea?
    designrcalihmm
  • Reply 28 of 58
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    ireland said:
    Anywhere near 10% is amazing considering the price of iPhones—especially the cost outside the US.

The cheapest iPhone Apple make is $555 in Europe. The cheapest iPhone 7 is $863. In Asia and India and Europe most people simply cannot afford an iPhone. Also Android has improved enough over the years as to be good enough for most people and the majority buy on price. So they buy a few Android phones and eventually maybe get an iPhone and in the meantime those Android numbers add up.

The best news of all for iPhone users is our ecosystem still seems to be the best. I think now's a good time for Apple to consider releasing that version of iMessage on Android. Best phones, best apps, best add-on-product ecosystem, and then an out of the box internet messaging system we can contact the whole 100% on. Without relying on Facebook Inc., Google Inc. or lousy SMS. The you also have a super out of the box messaging experience. And they need to great simplify iMessage signup too. I think it should work through your phone number and it's less hassle to signup then.

Despite some Apple diehards saying it'd be a bad move for Apple I disagree. And getting hooked on iMessage makes it very easy and tempting for an Android user to want an iPhone to get the full Apple experience and their messages just show up on their new iPhone like magic. That's an awesome experience. It is: we at Apple work so hard on our product and are so confident the experience is better that it's that experience which keeps people here and gets them to switch over. Experience should trump everything.
    They won't hook on iMessage. They'll continue to use WhatsApp. Switching a messaging app is not easy, people hold a tremendous amount of history, i.e. memories there. Beyond that, that would put Apple under an unnecessary privacy burden from the Android side.
    I don't buy the privacy argument at all. Be it an iPhone app or a cross-platform app. It's software; security is always possible. I didn't say people would switch over night. What would happen is if the app was designed well and worked well, as Android users tried the app their iPhone friends would begin to contact them via iMessage. An Android user would be far more easy going about having multiple messaging apps over iPhone users, so over time the thinking is the messaging network grows. As chat apps mature the ones which are cross-platform are the ones who win. So keeping your chat app exclusive has no advantages over time, long-term. Only minor short term gains which eventually kill the app. 

I'm outside the US, but I know many iPhone users who don't use iMessage because lots of they're friends don't have an iPhone. This would change with cross-platform. And thanks to Gruber we now know Apple has had detailed mock-ups floating around Cupertino. My only hope is they value users like me who see iMessage as the only messaging app I need on my phone being a good thing. That iMessage keeps people locked to iPhone is shortsighted.
    edited November 2016 cropr
  • Reply 29 of 58
    tzeshan said:
    maestro64 said:
    tzeshan said:
    There is a simple way to improve the iOS to make it more useful globally.  I can tell Apple if Apple can pay me as a consultant. 

I beat your solution is to give up profits to sell more widgets... When are the Business Schools in this country going to stop teaching it is always better to sell more at a lower price verses selling less are a far high price with larger margins. Since everyone in the market are leveraging the exact same supplier chain, Apple cost are no higher or less than another else's. No one had the cost advantage because they are making more of something. In some cases Apple unit costs are higher since Apple pays to ensure supply of parts.
    ideas are worthless since theyre easy and without risk or difficulty. implementations are the only thing with value.

whats your idea?
    My idea is easy to implement.  But I won't tell until Apple pays me. 
  • Reply 30 of 58
    tzeshan said:
    maestro64 said:
    tzeshan said:

whats your idea?
    Ideas have lots of value. It's just implementing said idea in a meaningful way is a whole lot harder.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 31 of 58
    tzeshan said:
    tzeshan said:
    maestro64 said:
    tzeshan said:

whats your idea?
    Probably sarcasm. If not keep the whole thing to yourself. Indefinitely. 
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 32 of 58
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    tzeshan said:
    tzeshan said:
    maestro64 said:
    tzeshan said:

whats your idea?
    well this is the best way to go about that, annoymous posts on the internet. Tim Cook will no doubt get a private detective agency to track you down. Then he will pay you millions. Thats bound to happen. 
    edited November 2016 nolamacguy
  • Reply 33 of 58
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    ireland said:
    tzeshan said:
    maestro64 said:
    tzeshan said:

whats your idea?
    Ideas have lots of value. It's just implementing said idea in a meaningful way is a whole lot harder.
    Ideas are a dime a dozen. I have an idea for better trains, planes and cars ( they should go faster and be more fuel efficient). I also have an idea on battery life ( it should be much longer). Those are my ideas, and I have no idea on implementation. But I am nevertheless expecting millions. 
    edited November 2016 designrnolamacguy
  • Reply 34 of 58
    asdasd said:
    ireland said:
    tzeshan said:
    maestro64 said:
    tzeshan said:

whats your idea?
    Ideas are a dime a dozen. I have an idea for better trains, planes and cars ( they should go faster and be more fuel efficient). I also have an idea on battery life ( it should be much longer).
    Those are arbitrary wishes not ideas. A good idea has intelligence, valuable information and meaningful design and experience decisions wrapped up in it. A good idea incorporates market sensibilities and real world physics and common sense understanding. A good idea is insightful and clever. Yes, making things is very hard. No one is denying this. A lot harder than thinking an idea. But ideas have value and there are good and bad and important and terrible and valuable and pointless ideas.
    edited November 2016 cali
  • Reply 35 of 58
    designr said:
    ireland said:

I like Derek Sivers's take on this: https://sivers.org/multiply

I know about that theory.
  • Reply 36 of 58
    ireland said:
    tzeshan said:
    maestro64 said:
    tzeshan said:

whats your idea?
    My idea is easy to implement.  Apple is the most innovative company with tens of thousands employees.  This is why I think my idea is valuable. 
  • Reply 37 of 58

ireland said:
    tzeshan said:
    tzeshan said:
    maestro64 said:
    tzeshan said:

whats your idea?
    Most likely Apple will thought about the idea.  The question is after how long?  
  • Reply 38 of 58
    tzeshan said:

ireland said:
    tzeshan said:
    tzeshan said:
    maestro64 said:
    tzeshan said:

whats your idea?
    Never. Only you have such profound wisdom to dangle an idea on a forum without revealing it.
  • Reply 39 of 58
    ireland said:
    tzeshan said:

ireland said:
    tzeshan said:
    tzeshan said:
    maestro64 said:
    tzeshan said:

whats your idea?
    Never. Only you have such profound wisdom to dangle an idea on a forum without revealing it.
    Well, Apple surprised me a few times.  My iPhone 7 Plus had a problem.  It will randomly lowed the top half of the screen for some apps.  I was planning to report this problem to Apple Store employee.  Then Apple released 10.1.  After I updated the OS, I have not seen this problem again.  Interesting thing is 10.1 did not mention it fixed such big problem,.  
  • Reply 40 of 58
    mvigodmvigod Posts: 172member
    "the platform is facing problems" having an 87.5% market share which grew and took share from apple is not exactly what I call having a problem. That is the sort of problem for the platform google and android makers dream of. Now with Pixel and Samsung vying for the high end market Apple may cede some of that to them.

I've been a long time iPhone user. I just upgraded my iPhone 6 to a 7 this week. My wife and kid also have iphones. We've been with iphone since the very first one and are frequent upgraders. I never really had any desire to even look at an android phone until the last year or two. One big objection I had was lack of updates. Samsung putting their crap on top of pure android and carriers doing same. Both blocking updates too. Now with Pixel that is no longer the case and the phone looks amazing. I also like the S7 but can't get over the aforementioned lack of updates and crapware. If samsung fixed that they would do much better IMHO.

So I ordered the iphone 7 Plus on Verizon since it was $650 off with trade in of my 6 and I could not resist. Basically a free upgrade. If they didn't have that I might have gone for the Pixel and considered switching as my Verizon is my "backup" phone. My primary is a regular 6 on ATT. No good promos on ATT now so considering getting unlocked Pixel there or waiting to see the iPhone 8 and make a decision then. My point is I never would even consider anything but iPhone until recently. I'm a heavy google apps user and deep in Google ecosystem (Gmail, calendar, photos, new google assistant, google now, docs, sheets, youtube, etc).

Between both phones now there isn't much difference in terms of hardware anymore. Comes down to iOS vs Android and ecosystem. I think apps are now on par and there are some things I like better on iOS and others better on Android. I can see why Android share has gone up worldwide. Great hardware. Great software. App parity to iOS now. MUCH cheaper pricing for everything but the high end phones like S7, Pixel, etc.

If I was apple this would concern me. While they are making lots of money today that is no guarantee the future holds the same. So many missteps lately by Cook and co. Ugly design with that iphone battery case. Hideous. Killing various plugs in different ways across iphone and macbook inconsistent across hardware. Watch appears to be a small niche market. Old aging iMac line. Some models from 2013 and 2014 now. Apple really needs new leadership
    edited November 2016