will.i.am, Kendall Jenner & Naomi Campbell launch Buttons wireless earbuds at Apple stores

Posted:
in General Discussion
Black Eyed Peas frontman will.i.am -- along with models Kendall Jenner and Naomi Campbell -- has launched a new set of earbuds, the i.am+ Buttons, available at Apple stores as well as a number of other U.S. retailers like Neiman Marcus and Bloomingdales.

The earbuds use machined metal designed to mimic the grooved look of a vinyl record, Billboard said, noting that Jenner and Campbell both have financial stakes in the venture. The first run of earbuds will also come with a mini-magazine edited by will.i.am, with style help from former Vogue editor Andre Leon Talley.

In terms of features, the Buttons have an inline remote and built-in mic, which can be used for phone calls or Siri commands. The metal discs are also magnetic, helping to keep the earbuds secure around the neck when they're not being used.

Performance-wise the earbuds have 11-millimeter drivers, producing frequency response between 20 Hz and 22 kHz. Battery life runs up to 6 hours. They only support Bluetooth 4.0 + EDR however, despite Bluetooth 4.1 and 4.2 appearing on devices like the iPhone 7.

On Apple's website, the Buttons are available for $229.95 in four different color combinations: black/gold, white/gold, black/space gray, or white/rose gold.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    I wish Apple would design and produce a kick-ass pair of Bluetooth ear buds.  Especially if they got rid of the dangly cable between the 2 ear pieces.  I might be willing to pay something like $159 for that.
    benjerdoozydozenSoliDeelronstevehsockrolidrare commentpaxmanmike1albegarc
  • Reply 2 of 24
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    God, more Apple fluff and nonsense. Apple is no longer Apple. Disgusting.
    bdkennedy1002
  • Reply 3 of 24
    I wish Apple would design and produce a kick-ass pair of Bluetooth ear buds.  Especially if they got rid of the dangly cable between the 2 ear pieces.  I might be willing to pay something like $159 for that.
    I would buy that in a heartbeat. If it can take SIRI commands, even better.  #innovation
    edited November 2016 mike1albegarcEsquireCatslolliverMal_R
  • Reply 4 of 24
    I wouldn't buy anything associated with that Kardashian Kourtesan Klan if it was the last device on earth. 
    edited November 2016 lmagoowilliamhsockrolidbdkennedy1002viclauyycmwhitemike1baconstangBluntstanhope
  • Reply 5 of 24
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    mj web said:
    What are you on bout? This is just a tiny part of the Apple eco system. What exactly do you mean Apple is no longer Apple? And what is disgusting?
    brakken
  • Reply 6 of 24
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,032member
    My thoughts exactly.  The kardashian jenner bunch is an STD.   I hope this thing is a smashing failure. 
    stanhope
  • Reply 7 of 24
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    LOL You almost got me with that post.
    lolliverbrakkenSpamSandwich
  • Reply 8 of 24
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 226member
    Im surprised in such a curated environment such as the Apple stores they're allowing this sh*t
  • Reply 9 of 24
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    mj web said:
    Apple didn't make these.
    SolinolamacguylondorbaconstangBluntcalilolliverbrakkenSpamSandwich
  • Reply 10 of 24
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    What point is buying any BT headphones without the W1 chip at this point? Especially if it's the same price or more than the yet to materialize AirPods, Beats X or PowerBeats3 (which doesn't deliver until Nov. 14-21), or the Beats Solo3. 

And it has a micro USB charging cable, which is even more inconvenient for an iPhone 7 customer, like the Solo3, and PowerBeats3 are also despite having a W1 chip.

This is hardly a smooth transition away from the headphone jack.
    viclauyycmwhitebaconstangrandominternetpersoncali
  • Reply 11 of 24
    These (seriously) look like a restyled version of the TaoTronics BH07 that I paid $30 for. Right down to the magnetic back (which is useful) ... except the TaoTronics BH07 are BT 4.1 . So that's $200 mark-up for worse tech. Maybe the drivers are better ... tough to tell. But yeah ... AirPods are my next purchase.
    irelandlolliver
  • Reply 12 of 24
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    mac_128 said:
    What point is buying any BT headphones without the W1 chip at this point?
    1) You don't have an iPhone or other Apple device.
    2) You don't have an Apple device that runs a current OS where the W1 chip is needed.
    3) You need some now and the others aren't available.
    4) You like the styling.
    5) You believe the sound quality is better.
    6) You have an unnatural attachment to the "celebrities" attached to these headphones.
    7) You're not aware of the W1 chip or ignorant of what it can do.
    8) You head a negative review about Beats headphones have too much base when they first came out and decided that will always be the case so you'd never consider Betas in the future.
    9) You hate Apple because they are successful.
    edited November 2016 nolamacguypeterhartalbegarccalilolliverbestkeptsecretbrakkenSpamSandwich
  • Reply 13 of 24
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    mj web said:
    God, more Apple trolls and nonsense. Thinking whatever they do or like is what everyone must do or like. Disgusting.
    SoliBluntroundaboutnowcaliholyoneMal_Rbrakkenlamboaudi4watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 24
    wdowell said:
    Im surprised in such a curated environment such as the Apple stores they're allowing this sh*t
    so you've used them? 

not sure if you've been in an apple store, but they carry many accessories from many brands. further, its in Apple's interests for wireless headphones to get exposure and sell well. they are aligned.
    edited November 2016 cali
  • Reply 15 of 24
    mac_128 said:
    What point is buying any BT headphones without the W1 chip at this point? Especially if it's the same price or more than the yet to materialize AirPods, Beats X or PowerBeats3 (which doesn't deliver until Nov. 14-21), or the Beats Solo3. 

And it has a micro USB charging cable, which is even more inconvenient for an iPhone 7 customer, like the Solo3, and PowerBeats3 are also despite having a W1 chip.

you keep banging that drum. what is your point? yeah, so some of the W1-equipped devices arent available yet and we have to wait a tad longer. and thats a major catastrophe because...? you just sound like an angry old man.... or just another troll who tries to bag on apple in some misplaced attempt to elevate his own status -- because surely *you* wouldnt run into product challenges and delays if *you* were running these companies, right? "Yeah man it's tots easy -- just ask mac_128, his company is killing it!"
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 16 of 24
    birkobirko Posts: 60member
    mac_128 said:

the micro USB is to charge the battery on the wireless earbuds - other end is a normal USB A plug. 
    mwhite
  • Reply 17 of 24
    mj web said:
    This is exactly what Apple do all the time. Dump a current/popular technology in favor of something for future that pretty much no one use at the time.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    So this is an earpiece that no one else can use
  • Reply 19 of 24
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Wow. With their combined expertise in acoustical and electrical engineering, I can't wait to drop some cash on these. Bet they sound great.
    robin huber
  • Reply 20 of 24
    BluntBlunt Posts: 224member
    Although not my cup of tea will.i.am has talent but why the pointless celebs like Jenner? Screw her!
    cali