Concept imagines OLED Touch Bar on Apple's wireless Magic Keyboard

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    mike1 said:
    ireland said:
    Doesn't look like Apple will make a longer wireless keyboard again.
    Did they ever? I don't recall a wireless extended keyboard. Been wanting one for years.
    They did. Wasn't chicklet though.
  • Reply 22 of 62
    mike1 said:
    I have doubts about an external TouchID reader. I think if it came to the desktop it would end up being on the machine, not on the keyboard. You don't want to transmit that stuff wirelessly. 
    Not true at all. I would imagine that if the authentication process resided in the keyboard, only a simple Yes or No would need to be sent to the computer.
    Think about that for a while...
    kirkgray
  • Reply 23 of 62
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    Alternate headline: You Won't Believe What a Guy on the Internet Photoshopped onto a Magic Keyboard!
    randominternetpersonpaxmananomenolamacguysuddenly newton
  • Reply 24 of 62
    Very interesting...my next purchase will probably be a MacBook...mainly due to price and weight of the 13" MBP with TouchBar.

I do like having an iMac though.

Looking fwd to seeing if they do any changes to the iMac before committing.

Best
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 25 of 62
    ireland said:
    Agreed.
  • Reply 26 of 62
    Sign me up for this. Don't care what it costs either.

I already use the current Magic Keyboard, and its a joy. Charging with the Lightning cable that is already a fixture on my desk is perhaps its best feature. It also last much longer than 30 days. I use it for at least 8 hours a day and I charge it maybe every 60 days.

This concept would make it even better. I do love the layout with numeric keypad, I would love for it to be backlit, and of course, the Touch Bar. Don't need Touch ID on it though. I never find myself wishing that my iMac had Touch ID...it already securely unlocks with Apple Watch.

• Reply 27 of 62
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    mike1 said:
    I have doubts about an external TouchID reader. I think if it came to the desktop it would end up being on the machine, not on the keyboard. You don't want to transmit that stuff wirelessly. 
    Not true at all. I would imagine that if the authentication process resided in the keyboard, only a simple Yes or No would need to be sent to the computer.
    There's no such thing as a simply yes or no when talking about secure communications. The keyboard's Touch ID would be locked to the secure enclave inside the iMac/Pro/mini just like on an iPhone. Problem will be what happens when the keyboard fails. There would have to be a process just like when replacing the Touch ID button on the iPhone to make sure there's no way for a man in the middle attack to capture fingerprints. It would be very easy to send a Yes to the secure enclave in your design. Of course, I doubt Apple would allow any third-party keyboards with Touch ID but that's ok. 

I'm sure some Apple people actually read these comments so maybe they'll see the potential for enough business to investigate the possibility of creating one. Of course, it still requires a secure enclave chip/system within each Mac, which means Apple would have to upgrade the desktops. I will never admit I like anything from Microsoft but their desktop system has potential, especially when Apple says they're getting out of the monitor business. If the new LG UltraFine 5K is as good as the iMac 5K screen (or the same thing), then adding the equivalent of a double size Mac mini to the stand (ala Surface Studio) or as a separate box, would allow Apple to make a new iMac without making an all-in-one. I'm actually ready for a non-AIO Mac. I'd buy the LG 5K and a new Mac in a box (like the old Cube) as long as it included everything I wanted.
    kirkgray
  • Reply 28 of 62
    ireland said:

I also find it very sad the goons on MR are bowing before this thing but did nothing but mock the Touch Bar on the MBP. Bunch of juvenile idiots. 
    If it's going to become ubiquitous then it needs to be available on desktops. Also, if you're using a MBP and rocking a 4K display or two then you're also probably using a separate keyboard and trackpad and not using the keyboard on the notebook.
    mac_128
  • Reply 29 of 62
    I don't care about the touch bar. I just want a Magic Keyboard Pro, with a full numeric keypad and separated arrow keys. The larger keyboard has more internal room for batteries, so it would be nice if it was backlit (it would be easy to include an ambient light sensor to turn it on and off). The black keys concept looks crappy. The current Magic Keyboard design (with white keys) is really good, I have one, I'm using it right now. But I just need a full keyboard for pro applications. Surely there must be someone at Apple who knows how tedious it is to work on spreadsheets without a numeric keypad. Even graphic apps like Photoshop and Illustrator are easier to use with separate arrow keys, I use them all the time to "nudge" objects, but the existing arrow keys are tiny and hard to use.
  • Reply 30 of 62
    rob53 said:
    mike1 said:

I'm sure some Apple people actually read these comments so maybe they'll see the potential for enough business to investigate the possibility of creating one.
    I'm sure some Apple people have already played around with this idea months if not years ago.  This is one mockup where the visual adds nothing over a simple statement of the idea ("hey stick the touch bar on the magic keyboard").  And it's an idea that probably occurred to 10% of people when they first see the new MacBook Pro.  I know that plenty of people here on AI came up with the idea.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 31 of 62
    While I agree than an external Touch ID sensor wouldn't fly, I'd sure love to see an Apple wireless extended keyboard using their new key tech. Still using the old "ice tray" model. 

What wouldn't fly about it? Touch ID and T1 chip will reside together in the keyboard. No security is risked. 

The problems are only Touch Bar sync speed to macOS wirelessly and battery life. 
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 32 of 62
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    rob53 said:
    I like it. I see no reason why it wouldn't work, especially as a wired keyboard, which I've always had and will always buy. My keyboard is always in front of my iMac on a desk, not in my lap or somewhere else. Having the Touch ID sensor in the middle is fine with me. It breaks up the OLED display into two parts, giving Apple and applications different areas for different things. Of course, I'd have my Magic Trackpad next to the keyboard for full gesture use (just like the MBP). Surprised this wasn't included in the mockup. I still use a mouse but with a Touch Bar and Trackpad, I might learn how to go without one. 

I'm with you.  I love having the USB ports on the sides of the wired keyboard and will never go wireless again.  Apple, shut up and take my money!
    edited November 2016 williamlondon
  • Reply 33 of 62
    Although you could argue the other way in that they may be required to make a longer wireless keyboard simply so there is enough room to house a larger battery, which the Touch Bar will require. Personally, I don't mind whether a new Touch Bar keyboard is wired or wireless, just so long as it's the longer variety.

As for the 48 hour comment above, that's effectively a wired keyboard - it'd be plugged in too often to be considered wireless, there'd be no reason to unplug it (only to have to plug it back in 2 days later).

I suppose Apple can use their cordless charging technology. Finish at the end of the day and just push the keyboard over a charging pad. Personally, I hate Bluetooth keyboards and trackpads. Wish I could convert my Magic Trackpad to USB powered. There are DIY projects that allow you to do that, but I'm just not handy enough with soldering iron.
  • Reply 34 of 62
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    mike1 said:
    mike1 said:
    ireland said:
    Did they ever? I don't recall a wireless extended keyboard. Been wanting one for years.
    There was an extended "ice tray" model. 
    Thanks. I'll have to search the interwebs for a photo. I don't remember that at all.

Circa 2009

bestkeptsecret
  • Reply 35 of 62
    My MacBook Pro 2012 is 80% of the time closed and attached to a Lightning Thunderbolt Display with a wired Magic Keyboard.  I don't plan on changing this approach so a new Magic Keyboard with Magic Bar would be cool.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 36 of 62
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Why would they make the OLED display flush with the aluminum casing?
  • Reply 37 of 62
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    thedba said:
    I'd be one of the first in line to get one of these even if I'd have to recharge it every 10-15 days. A sleep mechanism on the OLED touch bar would do the trick when idle.
    I wouldn't be surprised something like this being announced first calendar quarter 2017, with refreshed iMacs. 
    As long as it works with my 2015 MBP I'm in. 
    I'd buy one in a heart beat. It would give my 2014 iMac an extended lease of life... except these keyboards would likely require a new model Mac, if for no other reason than to push you towards an upgrade. 
  • Reply 38 of 62
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Have the issue with Apple making a wireless keyboard with T1/Touch Bar/Touch ID/Apple Pay been addressed?
  • Reply 39 of 62
    My ideal mac keyboard for me personally would be : 1) Wireless 2) Lighted keys 3) Long full size keyboard with a full number pad etc. 4) Touch bar would be nice but not required for me personally. I could compromise on the Wireless part. I currently use a full size keyboard with a usb plug. I understand all these features would use a lot of power I so I would be willing to use a wired keyboard. I currently use a wireless touchpad and wireless magic mouse and there are bluetooth issues sometimes although bluetooth is much better than it used to be. After using lighted keyboards on the Macbook I really miss this function on the desktop for my iMac. So that would be most wanted function.
  • Reply 40 of 62
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    ireland said:
    Yeah trust, me I got 3 Apple wired keyboards, two in storage...