After missing October debut, Apple's AirPods remain on track to launch this year, sources say

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2016
Apple's AirPods will ship before the end of this year, AppleInsider's sources have confirmed, dismissing a bogus supply chain report that surfaced early Tuesday.

Supply chain monitor Economic Daily News reported on Tuesday that manufacturer Inventec would see quarterly profits jump in the quarter starting in January 2017 because of a shifted launch date. At the same time, the publication said that the fourth quarter 2016 profits would not be changed from the third quarter.

When asked about the report, Apple told AppleInsider that it doesn't comment on "rumors or speculation."
"We've got a few pairs for customer demonstration that we're just waiting on the word to start." -- Apple retail source
However, sources familiar with the company's plans indicated that internally, there is no official delay until January for shipment of the wireless earbuds.

One person briefed on the matter said plainly that there was "no way that these are getting pushed to January."

In addition, contacts at Apple retail noted that AirPods demonstration units are already available in some stores. Out of 10 stores polled by AppleInsider, six of them had demo units.

Where demo units are available, staff have already received training on the product. At those locations, employees are just awaiting notification from management to start showing the AirPods to shoppers.

"We're ready to go any time," one retail source said. "We've got a few pairs for customer demonstration that we're just waiting on the word to start with."

Several venues have also received hardware for review. Those arrived prior to the quiet reveal that the AirPods wouldn't ship in time to meet an original "late October" ship date.

Apple's AirPods, Powerbeats 3, Beats Solo3 Wireless headphones all feature a the Apple-designed W1 chip that makes it easier to pair with multiple Apple devices. In addition to the W1, AirPods also include beam-forming microphones, accelerometers, infrared sensors, and a small charging and carrying case that will provide more power on the go as well as the mechanism to sync with the iPhone 7.

Stay tuned to AppleInsider's Accessories Price Guide over the next few weeks for the latest prices and availability on Apple's new AirPods.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Watch Apple take the time to clean these properly and treat a customer as they deserve.
    lmagoojahblade
  • Reply 2 of 16
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    I am thrilled. I have been wanting these for gym purposes.
    cali
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    adonissmu said:
    Wouldn't the PowerBeats be better for the gym?
  • Reply 4 of 16
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Rayz2016 said:
    adonissmu said:
    Wouldn't the PowerBeats be better for the gym?
    The sound is terrible on them. They have like zero bass.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    This is one of those technologies that morons mock and it becomes huge.

expect copycat devices next year.
    nolamacguywatto_cobralordjohnwhorfinjony0
  • Reply 6 of 16
    I am/was more excited about these than my 7+
  • Reply 7 of 16
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    dunestock said:
    Ha. Me too. It's too bad Apple failed to deliver. I wouldn't buy the iPhone 7 without these. 
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Sultana12Sultana12 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Why apple airpods not release late October?not good apple xxx
  • Reply 9 of 16
    This Pods are going to sell good, just wish the battery life was a little longer.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    dunestock said:
    6s user, waiting impatiently..
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 11 of 16
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Saw them on a guy in the audience during the MacBook event. 
  • Reply 12 of 16
    cali said:
    This is one of those technologies that morons mock and it becomes huge.

expect copycat devices next year.
    So true. Once again with Apple, while they're not the first to market with a product, they come up with something so advanced and polished that they end up defining the segment. Existing truly wireless headsets have massive problems: cumbersome pairing (to phone and to each other,) battery life (2 hours at best) and worst of all range and spurious disconnections and static. Thanks to the W1 chip Apple solves all of these at once in a tiny, elegant headset pair. Very well played.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    adonissmu said:
    The sound is terrible on them. They have like zero bass.
    And you think the EarPods will have superior bass? They have even less acoustical coupling than the Powerbeats. And by 'zero bass' do you mean like no bass response below 80Hz, or no 50db boost from 80–2500Hz like so many consumer earphones.

I'm considering these phones and will give them a listen. As long as the audio is an improvement over the iPhone-issue buds (like my $80 In-Ear Headphones), the ability to instantly use them with any of your Macs, iDevices, and Watch  without going to a menu, is huge for me. The ability to go from my Mac, to my phone, then just walkout the door with my Watch, without me switching sources is HUGE. That's my killer feature. Everything else they do is a perk.

But they have to sound better than Apple's basic buds or the deal's off. At say—$129, I'd consider cutting that requirement a little slack. I've got high-end 'phones and cans to use for critical listening, so the AirPods get some slack in audio reproduction, but at $160, not a pass.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    ahh!!! I hope these come out in time for me to receive them in canada for christmas time!! gift for my boyfriend D:
  • Reply 15 of 16
    DrummerladDrummerlad Posts: 20unconfirmed, member
    If you say, "will ship before the end of 2016", you have a 50/50 chance of being corrrect.  Such a weak, and vague prediction!  Cmon apple insider, we want the inside scoop,  
  • Reply 16 of 16
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    Why apple airpods not release late October?not good apple xxx
    Thanks for the insight.