Apple iPhone's global marketshare dips to 12.1 percent on problems in China & Africa

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 58
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    ireland said:
    tzeshan said:
    maestro64 said:
    tzeshan said:
    There is a simple way to improve the iOS to make it more useful globally.  I can tell Apple if Apple can pay me as a consultant. 

I beat your solution is to give up profits to sell more widgets... When are the Business Schools in this country going to stop teaching it is always better to sell more at a lower price verses selling less are a far high price with larger margins. Since everyone in the market are leveraging the exact same supplier chain, Apple cost are no higher or less than another else's. No one had the cost advantage because they are making more of something. In some cases Apple unit costs are higher since Apple pays to ensure supply of parts.
    No, your bet is lost. My idea is an improvement on Siri. 
    ideas are worthless since theyre easy and without risk or difficulty. implementations are the only thing with value.

whats your idea?
    Ideas have lots of value. It's just implementing said idea in a meaningful way is a whole lot harder.
    when it comes to product development (not talking philosophy) ideas are free and easy and without fault in the cloister of thought-only. it's when they get implemented that they become someshing tangible with value. thus anybody guarding their precious ideas of something cool is rather silly. 
  • Reply 42 of 58
    maestro64 said:
    Yep 12% of the widget part count market, but 90% of the profits and the other 88% of the widget makers are all splitting 10% of the profits. Who's wallet would you like to have?
    Precisely! I really don't understand why isn't Wall Street understanding that? At the rate analysts and wall street has been complaining about Apple, they would have filled for bankruptcy few quarters ago!
  • Reply 43 of 58
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    tzeshan said:
    ireland said:
    tzeshan said:

ireland said:
    tzeshan said:
    tzeshan said:
    maestro64 said:
    tzeshan said:
    There is a simple way to improve the iOS to make it more useful globally.  I can tell Apple if Apple can pay me as a consultant. 

I beat your solution is to give up profits to sell more widgets... When are the Business Schools in this country going to stop teaching it is always better to sell more at a lower price verses selling less are a far high price with larger margins. Since everyone in the market are leveraging the exact same supplier chain, Apple cost are no higher or less than another else's. No one had the cost advantage because they are making more of something. In some cases Apple unit costs are higher since Apple pays to ensure supply of parts.
    ideas are worthless since theyre easy and without risk or difficulty. implementations are the only thing with value.

whats your idea?
    My idea is easy to implement.  But I won't tell until Apple pays me. 
    Probably sarcasm. If not keep the whole thing to yourself. Indefinitely. 
    Most likely Apple will thought about the idea.  The question is after how long?  
    Never. Only you have such profound wisdom to dangle an idea on a forum without revealing it.
    Well, Apple surprised me a few times.  My iPhone 7 Plus had a problem.  It will randomly lowed the top half of the screen for some apps.  I was planning to report this problem to Apple Store employee.  Then Apple released 10.1.  After I updated the OS, I have not seen this problem again.  Interesting thing is 10.1 did not mention it fixed such big problem,.  
    are you talking about Reachability?
  • Reply 44 of 58
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    tzeshan said:
    ireland said:
    tzeshan said:

ireland said:
    tzeshan said:
    tzeshan said:
    maestro64 said:
    tzeshan said:

whats your idea?
    Never. Only you have such profound wisdom to dangle an idea on a forum without revealing it.
    Well, Apple surprised me a few times.  My iPhone 7 Plus had a problem.  It will randomly lowed the top half of the screen for some apps.  I was planning to report this problem to Apple Store employee.  Then Apple released 10.1.  After I updated the OS, I have not seen this problem again.  Interesting thing is 10.1 did not mention it fixed such big problem,.  
    are you talking about Reachability?
    What is it?
  • Reply 45 of 58
    I can understand people getting upset Apple selling less iPhones YoY but this constant ranting over Apple's loss of global market share is absolutely ridiculous. Most of the world's consumers absolutely can't afford iPhones no matter how good iPhones are. This isn't a matter of iPhones lacking innovation as analysts keep claiming. It's just harder for Apple to sell iPhones in countries with poor economies. There is absolutely no sense in Apple trying to sell less expensive iPhones because there's going to be some Android manufacturer willing to sell Android smartphones for much a cheaper price and take losses hoping they'll eventually turn a profit.

I honestly don't understand why investors can't understand such a simple fact. Profitability has to be more important than market share. Smartphone growth spurts without profitability is useless because it's not a sustainable way to run any business. Every time some new Chinese smartphone company comes along and suddenly has a new growth spurt, they say Apple is being beaten to death. Then next year it's some new Chinese company because the former hot company likely took unsustainable losses. That's a no-win situation for Android manufacturers.  It's a fact that no company can survive selling cheap items without selling a fair amount of high-end items.  However, Apple keeps being blamed for these sales declines based on Android manufacturers flooding the market with cheap smartphones. It's foolish to try to compete with companies using poor business tactics.  I'd say it's far more important for Apple to continue building quality products and selling those to the consumers who can honestly afford them.  As long as Apple's accounting books remain well into the black, loss of market share means very little.

I'm almost positive most companies selling luxury goods don't lower the prices of their items for places like India, China, Africa or South America.  Why would they compromise quality for market share?  It makes no sense, whatsoever.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 46 of 58
    metrix said:
    I believe the Chinese knockoff market has a lot to do with the lower market share and don't see the problem going away ever. Take a look at this copycat, i can guarantee these are all over the place and this is just one vendor.
    http://www.technobuffalo.com/2016/06/24/iphone-7-plus-leaked-photos-chinese-knockoff/

This has been going on since the beginning.

The first iPhone was not released in India. That year, one of my friends said he played with an iPhone that his colleague just got and he wasn't impressed with it.

I later bought an imported version and my friend was shocked that it was so slick. He later checked his colleague's iPhone and, sure enough, it was a Chinese knock-off.

You could probably imitate the externals of the hardware to the minutest detail, but the internals and the software are a whole different matter.

edited November 2016
  • Reply 47 of 58
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    metrix said:
    I believe the Chinese knockoff market has a lot to do with the lower market share and don't see the problem going away ever. Take a look at this copycat, i can guarantee these are all over the place and this is just one vendor.
    http://www.technobuffalo.com/2016/06/24/iphone-7-plus-leaked-photos-chinese-knockoff/

This has been going on since the beginning.

The first iPhone was not released in India. That year, one of my friends said he played with an iPhone that his colleague just got and he wasn't impressed with it.

I later bought an imported version and my friend was shocked that it was so slick. He later checked his colleague's iPhone and, sure enough, it was a Chinese knock-off.

You could probably imitate the externals of the hardware to the minutest detail, but the internals and the software are a whole different matter.

Why does an iPhone knockoff have to have an Apple logo to be considered a "knockoff". All android phones are iPhone knockoffs, why do we keep giving them a pass? 
  • Reply 48 of 58
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    Oooh!! how about a breakdown of: 1) Market share per price point: relevant competing products 2) Customer base per handset maker x OS: relevant growth stats 3) Handset model x profit x handset usability: relevant usage profiles Despite Apple re-emerging in the early 2000's and destroying the monopoly of MS, and completely rewriting music, mobile phones, and creating tablets, there is still this prevailing approach of defining 'success' as the ability to monopolise the market. Using MS as a benchmark is a dark and ugly mindset. Apple never has come close to a market monopoly, unlike MS, but only Apple has repeatedly brought products and services to market that all of us can use, such as optical drives, USB, SSD's, and AirDrop, Bonjour, and WebKit, and which are supported with added value such as environmental protection, renewable resource promotion, security and privacy protection, and civil rights improvement. Oh, and profits. The pure disingenuousness of paid flacks to repeatedly ignore every contribution Apple makes to tech, while their chosen brands simply make good on Apple's advancements is ridiculous. Has Apple always been the only source of tech advancement? No! But it certainly has made significant contributions that its competitors have done well through emulation. AppleInsider would also do well to remove themselves from the MS-centric mind-set, as this would actually validate a non-monopolistic market for tech. It may also make their articles more insightful and interesting for us AI fans!
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 49 of 58
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    tzeshan said:
    ireland said:
    tzeshan said:

ireland said:
    tzeshan said:
    tzeshan said:
    maestro64 said:
    tzeshan said:

whats your idea?
    You mean you have noticed apps auto-updating. Such an advanced user. Which incidentally had zero relevance to my comment.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 50 of 58
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    ireland said:
    tzeshan said:
    maestro64 said:
    tzeshan said:

whats your idea?
    Ideas have lots of value. It's just implementing said idea in a meaningful way is a whole lot harder.
    when it comes to product development (not talking philosophy) ideas are free and easy
    Good ideas are not easy and are few and far between. I know a thing or two about product development. I know design is a process and a series of ideas worked through. My point was ideas have value. That's all I was saying.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 51 of 58
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 1,989member
    Forbes: Apple's loses smartphone market share, but garners 103.6% of the smartphone profit.

Others are selling lots of devices, but are breaking even at best. Some are actually losing money. This is a perfect illustration of Apple's longstanding strategy of not trying to be everything to everyone. If you can sell to the one part of the market that will make money, it doesn't really matter what the other guys do. 

This also shows that all the bellyaching you read on these message boards after every new Apple product release or update announcement doesn't much matter, either. For Apple, it has never been about figuring out what everybody wants and then making it for them. It has always been about Apple figuring out what they want to make, and then getting enough people to decide that's what they want, too. All the people getting worked up about MBP dongles and missing iPhone earbud jacks are completely missing the point. If you want devices with more jacks and ports, there are others who will make them and sell them to you. Since Apple isn't chasing after market share, they're fine if you decide to buy that other thing. There are still enough people who want the things that Apple actually is making and selling, and will pay a premium for devices and software designed together. Apple will do just fine. For the people who do want what Apple's making, we can rest assured they will continue forward with it, because unlike the others, they're not losing money chasing down endless options and market share.
  • Reply 52 of 58
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    mvigod said:
    "the platform is facing problems" having an 87.5% market share which grew and took share from apple is not exactly what I call having a problem. That is the sort of problem for the platform google and android makers dream of. Now with Pixel and Samsung vying for the high end market Apple may cede some of that to them.

I've been a long time iPhone user. I just upgraded my iPhone 6 to a 7 this week. My wife and kid also have iphones. We've been with iphone since the very first one and are frequent upgraders. I never really had any desire to even look at an android phone until the last year or two. One big objection I had was lack of updates. Samsung putting their crap on top of pure android and carriers doing same. Both blocking updates too. Now with Pixel that is no longer the case and the phone looks amazing. I also like the S7 but can't get over the aforementioned lack of updates and crapware. If samsung fixed that they would do much better IMHO.

So I ordered the iphone 7 Plus on Verizon since it was $650 off with trade in of my 6 and I could not resist. Basically a free upgrade. If they didn't have that I might have gone for the Pixel and considered switching as my Verizon is my "backup" phone. My primary is a regular 6 on ATT. No good promos on ATT now so considering getting unlocked Pixel there or waiting to see the iPhone 8 and make a decision then. My point is I never would even consider anything but iPhone until recently. I'm a heavy google apps user and deep in Google ecosystem (Gmail, calendar, photos, new google assistant, google now, docs, sheets, youtube, etc).

Between both phones now there isn't much difference in terms of hardware anymore. Comes down to iOS vs Android and ecosystem. I think apps are now on par and there are some things I like better on iOS and others better on Android. I can see why Android share has gone up worldwide. Great hardware. Great software. App parity to iOS now. MUCH cheaper pricing for everything but the high end phones like S7, Pixel, etc.

If I was apple this would concern me. While they are making lots of money today that is no guarantee the future holds the same. So many missteps lately by Cook and co. Ugly design with that iphone battery case. Hideous. Killing various plugs in different ways across iphone and macbook inconsistent across hardware. Watch appears to be a small niche market. Old aging iMac line. Some models from 2013 and 2014 now. Apple really needs new leadership
    You had some reasonable arguments going there, but then totally went on a tangent rant.

On the iPhone vs. Pixel h/w front, I would certainly argue that they are not "at parity" in any sense.  iPhone 7 has a much more powerful CPU/GPU (trouncing Pixel), stereo speakers, water/dust resistance, better camera on 7+ for sure (others consider the 7 on its own better in low light), 3D touch.  Now, you could argue that most users might not be able to know these differences, but that doesn't change fact that iPhone has superior h/w.

We don't have conclusive data, but what makes you think that Android share is up because of high end phones, vs. the fact that Android OEMs have price points that appeal to a broad set of users that iPhone will not compete with?
  • Reply 53 of 58
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    tzeshan said:
    maestro64 said:
    tzeshan said:

Oh improve on something that does not make money for apple that's a great idea.

Actually, I have no data on this other than my personal experience and what I see other people doing. I hardly see anyone using any of the voice assistance with any one's products. I suspect the fact that Apple and Google do not show how many voice assisted transactions they process in a give time period tells me it is not this huge success or required feature. It is another one of those geek features people think is neat to have and they like asking a questions and get an answer, but it is not really useful because talking to non human object is seen as being crazy by everyone around you. Social norms have kills more products than you can imagine, Google glass is the latest big flop thanks to social normal.

I do use Siri, mostly in my car where no one can hear or see me. But you will never see me talk to my phone in public. This is the issue with voice assistances as a whole.

Siri is not a Required or Differential feature, it is more of an enabler feature which users think should be there but not required. Put another way, most user are not buying an Iphone to get Siri. I think very few people care that Siri is included as purchasing decision. If you have data to prove this assumption wrong I would be interested in seeing it.

• Reply 54 of 58
    croprcropr Posts: 1,122member
    designr said:
    Apple still makes far, far more profit per phone than any competitor, but the question remains:  How do you follow the most successful consumer electronics product in history?
    This is the key issue. So long as they keep grabbing about 90% of the profits in the industry, they will be okay.
    Both profits and marketshare and profits are important.  The former to survive, the latter to have enough impact on the local market. I live in a country where the iPhone has dropped from 30% to 15% in the last few years, and unpleasant  things start to happen:
      - Merchants have no interest in Apple Pay. Why take the trouble, if only a very limited number of customers can pay with it.
     -  iMessage has become a very plain SMS text app and nothing more.  For me only 7 of the my 50 most used correspendants also have an iPhone.
     - the last time I used Facetime was 3 years ago. Because I cannot use it most of time, I don't even consider it anymore, even if my correspondant has an Apple device
     - I happen to be an app developer for 3rd parties and in the last 2 years I've got 4 requests from potential customers for Android only apps, but none for iOS only apps

edited November 2016
  • Reply 55 of 58
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    maestro64 said:
    tzeshan said:
    maestro64 said:
    tzeshan said:

Actually, I have no data on this other than my personal experience and what I see other people doing. I hardly see anyone using any of the voice assistance with any one's products. I suspect the fact that Apple and Google do not show how many voice assisted transactions they process in a give time period tells me it is not this huge success or required feature. It is another one of those geek features people think is neat to have and they like asking a questions and get an answer, but it is not really useful because talking to non human object is seen as being crazy by everyone around you. Social norms have kills more products than you can imagine, Google glass is the latest big flop thanks to social normal.

I do use Siri, mostly in my car where no one can hear or see me. But you will never see me talk to my phone in public. This is the issue with voice assistances as a whole.

Siri is not a Required or Differential feature, it is more of an enabler feature which users think should be there but not required. Put another way, most user are not buying an Iphone to get Siri. I think very few people care that Siri is included as purchasing decision. If you have data to prove this assumption wrong I would be interested in seeing it.

You are still living at stone age.  You don't know human voice machine interaction is the forefront of technology innovation?  Have you heard of the Amazon Echo?  Or the Google copycat Google Home?  Human machine interaction should be made as smooth and intuitive as possible.  Because human beings are inferior to machines. Human beings are prone to make mistakes.  The goal of human machine interaction should be to assist human beings.  
  • Reply 56 of 58
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    tzeshan said:
    maestro64 said:
    tzeshan said:
    maestro64 said:
    tzeshan said:

You are still living at stone age.  You don't know human voice machine interaction is the forefront of technology innovation?  Have you heard of the Amazon Echo?  Or the Google copycat Google Home?  Human machine interaction should be made as smooth and intuitive as possible.  Because human beings are inferior to machines. Human beings are prone to make mistakes.  The goal of human machine interaction should be to assist human beings.  

Notice those device are in someone home, and again no one is publishing how many transactions those are doing.

Cell phone are used in public and I see hundreds of people daily using their cell phones in public and only once in a great while do I see some say "hey siri" or "Hey Google" the mass majority of people are still typing on the phone. No want to hear you talk to your phone let along hear you have a conversation on you phone in public place. I hardly hear people talk on their phones on the plane any more, why because everyone around them gives them nasty looks, It call Social Norms, obviously, you may have ADD or ADHD or Asperger and fail to pick up social clues or do not care about them, However 95% of the rest of the world does.

BTW, Microsoft came out and said the Voice Assistant on the XBOX was not successful, people were not using for various reason mostly because it was seen as being rude to talk to your gaming system with other people around. I bet their are a bunch of people who live alone and use it all the time, and their neighbor think they are odd.

Just because voice commend seem new to you, I started using it back in the 90's for simple dictation and have the computer do simple tasks as well as testing the technology so I know more probably know more than you do about the technology. As technology person I also learn how technology and society and social norms need to work together and as I said lots of products failed simples due to social norms. 3D TV failed, why people did not like wearing the glasses and it made people look funny. Google glass failed because other people felt uncomfortable thinking they could be recorded, Google try to make them a fashion statement, but it was too late for that.

I was living in the stone age when I said 3D TV would fail and as well as google glasses. It not about a technology failure, it is about human interaction failure and most technology people fail to understand this part. I suspect you will never understand this since you so caught up in the technology.

• Reply 57 of 58
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    AppleZulu said:
    Forbes: Apple's loses smartphone market share, but garners 103.6% of the smartphone profit.
    Others are selling lots of devices, but are breaking even at best. Some are actually losing money.
    It's not even so much that others are selling lots, there are just lots of others that are lumped in together. Apple is only second in hardware sales to Samsung:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/271496/global-market-share-held-by-smartphone-vendors-since-4th-quarter-2009/

The smartphone marketshare weights up the operating system. Profits are made from hardware, which isn't shared across companies.

This also isn't marketshare they keep talking about but sales share, which is the ratio of what people are buying just now. The following are marketshare numbers from about a year ago:

http://www.androidcentral.com/google-says-there-are-now-14-billion-active-android-devices-worldwide
    http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/26/10835748/apple-devices-active-1-billion-iphone-ipad-ios

While ongoing smartphone sales will change the overall ownership numbers, it depends a lot on the upgrade cycle. If people are buying new Android phones or get upgrades from their carrier more frequently because they are cheaper, then the sales share will be high but the ownership share won't change as much. Marketshare as far as it concerns things like developer support and services = currently active devices, not how many are being sold at a given time. Sales share concerns investors as that impacts profits.

Network stats give some indication of usage share, here's some over the past year:

https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=8&qpcustomd=1&qpsp=201&qpnp=13&qptimeframe=M

Android is just over 2:1 in use vs iOS e.g 2 billion devices vs 1 billion in a market of around 3 billion devices (~half the world's population). If anyone thinks a company with over 1 billion active hardware devices and still selling over 250 million units per year is losing popularity, they need a reality check.