Honda announces that the 2017 Pilot EX will support Apple's CarPlay, Android Auto

Posted:
in iPhone
Automotive manufacturer Honda has announced that Android Auto and Apple's CarPlay will be implemented in higher-end 2017 Pilot models.

The Pilot EX will have an 8-inch touchscreen, with a better coating which Honda says will resist fingerprints better. The Pilot EX will go on sale starting Nov. 7 with a retail price of $33,030 to start.

The 2017 Accord was Honda's first 2017 model-year car with CarPlay, but the manufacturer has had several models, dating back to the previous year that use the technology.

Apple's CarPlay was introduced in March 2014.

After connecting an iPhone to the system, a steering wheel-mounted voice control button activates Siri to cut down on distractions in the cockpit, though users can also interface with iOS-inspired controls if a car comes equipped with a touchscreen.

According to Apple, CarPlay can access all knobs, buttons and dials controlling an in-car display. Additionally, drivers can place phone calls, get directions, listen to voice mail messages, access contacts and have text messages read to them by Siri.

Apple notes that there are more than 100 models of cars to choose from that use CarPlay, made by 34 different manufacturers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Ouch.

I can already hear the cries of 2016 Pilot buyers who will demand an upgrade for AA/CP support. Honda have never added this feature to existing models like some manufacturers have.

I can also hear the cries of 2016 Pilot and 2017 Ridgeline buyers who have complained about the incredible affinity for fingerprints on these glossy, plastic screens.

I was excited to get CarPlay in my 2017 Ridgeline, but I find I never use it. I might tend to use it more if it were the wireless implementation, which it is not.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 2 of 15
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    More than 100 models of cars to choose from that use CarPlay but when you look at the list, 2017 BMW 530i which also supporting wireless carplay not on list. List may need updated. Toyota and others must step-in to support otherwise, will be left behind. Since most and myself don't replace vehicles often, I shall not buy new vehicle unless it has seamless(not half ass) carplay(and possibly androidauto) supported.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 3 of 15
    I just don't get why they nearly all implement it selectively. Why not just implement it across all models?
  • Reply 4 of 15
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    I just don't get why they nearly all implement it selectively. Why not just implement it across all models?
    From the list, it looks like Volkswagen has wider support but others just want to fool customers supporting few models and claim in marketing/sales material, they are on board with support. Example is Acura 1 model, Subaru 1 model, Honda 3 models,etc. Unless customers ready to walk out of dealership due to the lack of carplay support, the message will not be loud enough to be heard at corporate..
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 5 of 15
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    In that crowd, should have gotten the commitment in writing before buying our 2016 CRV.  Love the car, hate the system.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    All models aren't redesigned at the same time. The electronic architecture in a vehicle is incredibly complex - both from a hardware and software perspective. Even with today's computer design and simulation, it still takes a minimum of two years or more to take a vehicle from idea to concept to prototype to production. Not all hardware is capable of offering a decent CP/AA experience even with a software update. Case in point: Honda allowed very limited beta testing of CP as "far" back as 2015 CR-V. It was reported to function, but not "well". The results did not please Honda and/or Apple, so the beta test was ended and no other 2015 or 2016 CR-Vs will ever be updated. The 2017 CR-V, however, has one of Honda's latest systems that debuted on the 2016 Civic last year. Interestingly, the 2016 Pilot and 2017 Ridgeline have almost identical hardware, yet the Ridgeline supports CP/AA and the 2016 Pilot doesn't. There are, however, minor hardware differences such as the backlighting of the POWER button (which is white in the Ridgeline and green in the Pilot). The Ridgeline also has additional software for the truck-bed audio system, which the Pilot lacks for obvious reasons.

Owners will now be crying foul when they find out a rotary volume knob has now returned beginning with the 2017 CR-V. Civic owners with an otherwise identical infotainment system are going to be whining about not having a rotary volume knob despite the fact that they knew good and well their vehicle didn't have such when they bought it. It's hard to justify getting upset over buying something that gets updated right after you buy it. Due diligence! Caveat emptor! Some people are just never satisfied.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,034member
    Anything is better than the system in our 2016 Honda odyssey. It's so freaking awful.  I curse the engineers who designed it. May they have to use their own system for all their travels. 

If there was any way to sue, I would. The Honda navigation system is completely unfit for its intended purpose.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 8 of 15
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I'm not ordering a new Rolls Royce until they include Car Play. They said they could have include an Apple engineer that will follow all my voice commends but that would kill most of my trunk space.
    zroger73
  • Reply 9 of 15
    rbonner said:
    In that crowd, should have gotten the commitment in writing before buying our 2016 CRV.  Love the car, hate the system.
    Our 2016 CRV works pretty well via Bluetooth—music and Siri turn-by-turn nav.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Would love to see the Mazda CX-5 get CarPlay.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    Apple CarPlay would be much more appealing if they allowed Waze on it. Apple Maps has been awful since its inception. I occasionally try it, and it fails almost 100% of the time - at least in Georgia. Waze is accurate almost 100% of the time. 

Apple made a huge mistake by not buying Waze. 

Here in Georgia, people using Apple Maps is a laughing stock. They always get lost and are always late. When someone complains of being navigated to the wrong location, the first advice given is, "Stop using Apple Maps". 

I hear Apple Maps is decent in California. Perhaps it's true, but not in the rest of the country. 

CarPlay without decent navigation is useless. 
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Is this the newer wireless Carplay or is it the older Carplay that doesn't support wireless?
  • Reply 13 of 15
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    sirozha said:
    Apple CarPlay would be much more appealing if they allowed Waze on it. Apple Maps has been awful since its inception. I occasionally try it, and it fails almost 100% of the time - at least in Georgia. Waze is accurate almost 100% of the time. 

Apple made a huge mistake by not buying Waze. 

Here in Georgia, people using Apple Maps is a laughing stock. They always get lost and are always late. When someone complains of being navigated to the wrong location, the first advice given is, "Stop using Apple Maps". 

I hear Apple Maps is decent in California. Perhaps it's true, but not in the rest of the country. 

CarPlay without decent navigation is useless. 
    works fine in Louisiana. maybe it's the georgians using it?
    razorpit
  • Reply 14 of 15
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 755member
    sirozha said:
    Apple Maps has been awful since its inception. I occasionally try it, and it fails almost 100% of the time - at least in Georgia. Waze is accurate almost 100% of the time. 

Are you saying that, in Georgia, Apple Maps gives you bad directions 100% of the time?  I call major BS on that.
    edited November 2016 Soli
  • Reply 15 of 15
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    igorsky said:
    sirozha said:
    Apple Maps has been awful since its inception. I occasionally try it, and it fails almost 100% of the time - at least in Georgia. Waze is accurate almost 100% of the time. 

Are you saying that, in Georgia, Apple Maps gives you bad directions 100% of the time?  I call major BS on that.
    If something fails almost 100% of the time you'd think they'd offer up a plethora of verifiable examples to back up their statement.