Apple SVP Eddy Cue sells $37.5M in AAPL stock

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    jakeb said:
    He sold ALL of his stock aside from 1000 or so shares? Am I reading that right? 
    Yes. I now own more AAPL than Eddy Cue. 
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 22 of 50
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    Eddy Cueless gets a clue. Or was it vice versa?
  • Reply 23 of 50
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    jakeb said:
    He sold ALL of his stock aside from 1000 or so shares? Am I reading that right? 
    Yes. I now own more AAPL than Eddy Cue. 
    Yeah... me too.  I have to agree with Spam Sandwich -- time for Eddie to go.  Might be time for Jony and a few others too.

Doesn't mean I have any better ideas on design or running the company, but Apple needs a kick in the pants.  They likely should be raising the dividend substantially as well.

They are experiencing cyclical issues now... but they chose to make them worse.  The iPhone 7 doesn't work for me, as I fly a lot and switch between listening to my phone, iPad, and in-flight entertainment on my noise-cancelling headphones, and have no desire to carry either a dongle or extra set of headphones.  Been there, done that.  On the MBP, the extra $6-700 or so I would need to spend for additional power supplies, docks, and dongles (I work from three different locations regularly, as well as travel) makes it pretty easy to dismiss; I can live with the Air another year, maybe two.  (My 10-year old $300 netbook is now better suited for travel!)
    slingwingasdasd
  • Reply 24 of 50
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,796member
    lkrupp said:
    Now he needs to leave. He's had his day in the sun and so many poor decisions have been made under his stewardship. Get some new people in there who can move the needle on Apple Music, Maps and more!
    No, you need to leave this forum. You have no idea how to run Apple and never will.  All you do is bitch.

What has Eddy Cue done for Apple lately?
    anantksundaramslingwingSpamSandwichasdasd
  • Reply 25 of 50
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    lkrupp said:
    Now he needs to leave. He's had his day in the sun and so many poor decisions have been made under his stewardship. Get some new people in there who can move the needle on Apple Music, Maps and more!
    No, you need to leave this forum. You have no idea how to run Apple and never will.  All you do is bitch.
    SpamSandwich may 'bitch' a lot, but his larger point is valid.

Eddie Cue does not inspire confidence. It seems to me that Apple has vastly outgrown him. His overall handling of the iBooks case was an early signal, and he has not shown much by way leadership skills of the services under his watch since.

If I am missing something remarkable that has come about under his leadership in the past few years, I'd be bappy to stand corrected. 
    I’d just like to see any one of you bozos run a multi-billion dollar corporation and watch what happens. Back seat drivers, armchair quarterbacks, second guessers, shoulda/oughta/coulda analysts, so easy to criticize, condemn, and complain from one’s porch sitting in front of a screen. And when Steve Jobs was at the helm you posers did the same exact thing to him. 

Those who can... do. Those who can’t... become critics.
    edited November 2016 Rayz2016netmagenolamacguy
  • Reply 26 of 50
    lkrupp said:
    lkrupp said:

Eddie Cue does not inspire confidence. It seems to me that Apple has vastly outgrown him. His overall handling of the iBooks case was an early signal, and he has not shown much by way leadership skills of the services under his watch since.

If I am missing something remarkable that has come about under his leadership in the past few years, I'd be bappy to stand corrected. 
    I’d just like to see any one of you bozos run a multi-billion dollar corporation and watch what happens. Back seat drivers, armchair quarterbacks, second guessers, shoulda/oughta/coulda analysts, so easy to criticize, condemn, and complain from one’s porch sitting in front of a screen. And when Steve Jobs was at the helm you posers did the same exact thing to him. 

"Bozos"? Grow up.

OTOH, if you're a grown up, I am at a loss for words...
    slingwingSpamSandwichhmm
  • Reply 27 of 50
    lkrupp said:
    lkrupp said:

So I'll ask again...what has Eddy Cue done for Apple lately? Obviously you can't answer that because he really hasn't done anything. 
    slingwingSpamSandwich
  • Reply 28 of 50
    He is just following in the foot steps of Cook, who sold APPL stocks of nearly the same value a while back. Just keeping his current boss happy:)
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 29 of 50
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,316member
    It's good to be Eddie. 

To to those who criticize him, remember that Steve hired him, promoted him, and kept him in his position. I trust Steve's judgement of the man more than Forum "experts."
    Let us consider your own expert opinion then.

Eddie Cue joined Apple in 1989 when Steve Jobs was NOT at Apple.  In contrast, Scott Forstall was hired by Steve Jobs at NeXT in 1992 and transitioned to Apple with Steve.  It is said that Forstall was the closest physical incarnation of Steve Jobs at Apple.  Forstall was once considered a potential Apple CEO.  After Steve's death, Tim Cook fired Forstall and expanded the role of Cue.  Cue took over many Forstall responsibilities and Johnny I've was granted even more power, probably because Cook knew Jobs put Ive in a permanent power position, whereas Steve did not do the same for Forstall.  Would Steve have fired Forstall due to the rivalry between Forstall and Ive?  Would Steve have fired Forstall over the Apple Maps fiasco because Forstall had an unrepentant spirit?  Probably not because Steve always liked competition and even conflict among groups and people Apple, and again, Forstall was a mirror reflection of Jobs.  That rivalry would often make employees come crying to Steve; and Steve, ever the lover of micromanagement, would sort it out, often with a single blunt statement.  But Tim Cook has a different management style.  Cook ultimately choose to retain the non-Jobsian Cue and oust the Steve Jobs clone, hand-picked by Jobs, Scott Forstall.  Eddie Cue remained at Apple even after Jobs came back in the late 90's, and Cue even changed Jobs mind on a number of projects, but through it all, Jobs retained Forstall.  One could argue that Jobs appreciated or even endured Cue because Cue was balanced by Forstall.  But with Forstall and Steve gone, Cue was balanced only by Tim, the man who fired Jobs-like Forstall.  Cue is no clone of Steve Jobs.

I don't hate Cue and I don't know the man personally.  But in my previous post when I said I couldn't out my finger on precisely why I have a negative feeling about Cue, perhaps it is just due to the fact Cue is no longer balanced by Forstall.  I've never seen Cue do something great at Apple that really appealed to me directly.  I don't care about music, and iTunes software is a mess, and Cue has long been responsible for both.
    awilliams87aaarrrgggh
  • Reply 30 of 50
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 396member
    lkrupp said:

Many loyal Apple supporters are questioning the moves of the company. No real imaginative leader willing to take chances, executives involved in Apple TV and networking that have delivered ho hum products and on and on. The reliance of Apple on the iPhone is beginning to resemble Microsoft's reliance on Windows and Office. 

It's hard to get excited by many of Apple's moves. They are predictable and incremental improvements of their cash cow, minimal improvements to Macs in order to prevent a stampede away from their old base. Think of OSX/Mac as the ProDOS/Apple II and iOS/iPad as the MacOS/Mac way back.

Apple Music, Maps and iTunes have not been the greatest. Apple Music ( perhaps the new one is better?) is unappealing and complicated, iCloud confusing while being stingy, OS upgrades every other day to fix whatever.

There are still a lot of great things about Apple but those who think nothing is wrong seem to be living in the past. 

Criticism is needed so I really don't understand your invitation to the original poster to leave the forum. One misstep with the iPhone and Apple would be in serious trouble. They need to lower their reliance on that product and they need to come out with exciting products. They are becoming the old Microsoft and IBM.
    aaarrrgggh
  • Reply 31 of 50
    pmcd said:
    lkrupp said:

Many loyal Apple supporters are questioning the moves of the company. No real imaginative leader willing to take chances, executives involved in Apple TV and networking that have delivered ho hum products and on and on. The reliance of Apple on the iPhone is beginning to resemble Microsoft's reliance on Windows and Office. 

It's hard to get excited by many of Apple's moves. They are predictable and incremental improvements of their cash cow, minimal improvements to Macs in order to prevent a stampede away from their old base. Think of OSX/Mac as the ProDOS/Apple II and iOS/iPad as the MacOS/Mac way back.

Apple Music, Maps and iTunes have not been the greatest. Apple Music ( perhaps the new one is better?) is unappealing and complicated, iCloud confusing while being stingy, OS upgrades every other day to fix whatever.

There are still a lot of great things about Apple but those who think nothing is wrong seem to be living in the past. 

Criticism is needed so I really don't understand your invitation to the original poster to leave the forum. One misstep with the iPhone and Apple would be in serious trouble. They need to lower their reliance on that product and they need to come out with exciting products. They are becoming the old Microsoft and IBM.
    I'm definitely not going to suggest that Apple needs to be put on a death watch, but they are overdue for a big shakeup in the management, IMO. Their actions of late demonstrate they are undermotivated and unfocused on pushing the company forward aggressively where it matters.

To whomever may read this: You may hold a different opinion.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 32 of 50
    after the shitty iphone release and the sad state of the new mac book pro i'd be ditching apple stock too. the biggest tech thing from apple is a watch while the competition is getting into VR new formfactors and input devices. even crusty old microsoft is starting to kick arse and building some cool stuff under new leadership. 

cashing in now is the smartest thing for these guys to do and they have inside knowledge.
  • Reply 33 of 50
    after the shitty iphone release and the sad state of the new mac book pro i'd be ditching apple stock too. the biggest tech thing from apple is a watch while the competition is getting into VR new formfactors and input devices. even crusty old microsoft is starting to kick arse and building some cool stuff under new leadership. 

cashing in now is the smartest thing for these guys to do and they have inside knowledge.
    Personally, I see VR as a dead end. AR, on the other hand, has many interesting applications even though the reluctance to put on a visor or goggles or any other form of headgear will prevent these things from common acceptance outside of niche functions.
  • Reply 34 of 50
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    … or he's expecting an unfavourable election result. 
  • Reply 35 of 50
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    jdw said:
    I've been a big fan of Apple continuously since my 128K Macintosh back in early 1984. I've never once spent a single dime on a non-Apple computer. And despite the recent MacBook Pro fiasco, I still very much love Apple and of course love Appleinsider. But through it all, I've never really liked Eddy Cue. I can't put my finger on it. There's just something about the man that feels wrong to me.  That feeling doesn't have anything to do with his looks or personality or even his money. He just seems to have an air of disingenuity about him.  Cue also said that the book "Becoming Steve Jobs" was the only book to "get it right."   I've read pretty much every book published on Steve Jobs including that one. Out of all of the books, I felt that "Becoming Steve Jobs" was perhaps one of the more severe against him.  As such, when we read reports about how much compensation is flowing into the wallet of Mr. Cue, we can only wonder what he is actually doing to earn that level of income.  Perhaps it's none of my business, but I still can't help but wonder.
    I think Cue really lucked out. Most of Steve's executives were the best in their day. Cue was an outlier. He was probably a perfectly fine middle manager. 
    jdw
  • Reply 36 of 50
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    lkrupp said:
    lkrupp said:

No offence but I fucking hate this argument. This is a forum about Apple, largely populated by fans of Apple's products and aapl investors (the odd swiftly dealt with troll aside) and we come here to discuss Apples's products, its actions, its   share price, and its management.

Not all of that is going to be favourable all the time? Do we have to be a VP, or run a billion dollar company to earn the right to criticise Eddy Cue? No. That would stop everybody except Eddy Cue and higher management criticising Cue.

I doubt however if you mean that argument universally. I bet if I do a search I could find criticism of executives in other companies amongst your posts. (By the way, it's perfectly legitimate to criticise quarterbacks too, even if you aren't one). 

Even more than that though AI is an investors site. Many people here are now more invested in Apple than Cue, we are owners in part of the company. We will criticise who we like. We have that right, and arguably, that duty. 
    edited November 2016 macxpressaaarrrgggh
  • Reply 37 of 50
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    $37 Million is spending money when you are at this level. They have multiple awards vesting at different times, so much so that they don't even try to time the market for the best price. I would not read much into this insider trading. To put things into perspective ...  Bill Gates is worth about $80 Billion! I was at the boat show this past week, there are yachts that cost well over $200 Million - I don't think people arguing about the end of Apple because Eddy unloaded a few million or that this is due to the ports of the MacBook Pro realize the wealth out there, and this is a 'non event'.
    macplusplus
  • Reply 38 of 50
    Fatman said:
    $37 Million is spending money when you are at this level. They have multiple awards vesting at different times, so much so that they don't even try to time the market for the best price. I would not read much into this insider trading. To put things into perspective ...  Bill Gates is worth about $80 Billion! I was at the boat show this past week, there are yachts that cost well over $200 Million - I don't think people arguing about the end of Apple because Eddy unloaded a few million or that this is due to the ports of the MacBook Pro realize the wealth out there, and this is a 'non event'.
    I think what a lot of people here are getting at is that Apple would be better off without Eddy Cue. I don't see this as a death wish to Apple or that Eddy sees the writing on the wall for Apple as a company. He most likely had the opportunity to cash in his stock and he did it. Now, he can get the hell out of Apple so they can get someone in who can actually make a difference in that area. 
  • Reply 39 of 50
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,653member
    gatorguy said:
    mpantone said:
    jfc1138 said:
    Cash is a useful thing. 
    It is, however this is likely more about portfolio diversification.

And it's not just Apple execs who think about this sort of stuff.

For Eddy, a $5 drop in AAPL (like what happened this week) resulted in a $1.675M loss in paper value. You really don't want all/most of your investment in one issue. 

Moreover, AAPL has underperformed the S&P 500 over the past year. Eddy would have had a better rate of return if he had that $37.4M in SPY. Or even better had he invested in NTDOY (Nintendo ADR), BABA (Alibaba) and even YHOO a year ago.
    TBH he'll unlikely ever need a penny of that money during his entire lifetime or that of his family. He made about $25M at Apple last year so he was already wealthy enough to do whatever he wished, go wherever he wanted. The ridiculous excessiveness of executive pay at mega-corporations marches on. Why anyone deserves more than $5M/yr in pay on a regular basis is beyond my comprehension. So much of someone's position in life is luck of the draw, being in the right place at the right point in time and not because they're really more "special" than any others and thus more deserving. There comes a point where having "more" accomplishes absolutely nothing in improving your life. It becomes just the accumulation of more money for money's sake. 
    I completely agree.  Executive compensation has gotten completely out-of-hand.   Does Eddy Cue's business aptitude or management ability result in $25 million worth of incremental profits at Apple?   And I don't mean to specifically attack him, because the same is true for many execs at many companies and I have no idea if he's a great executive or a terrible one.   If he works 48 weeks a year and 50 hours a week, that's almost $10,500 per hour (including the hours he eats lunch or sits on the can).  

Personally, based on what I see coming out of the Apple pipeline compared to how many employees they have, Apple seems to have become a notoriously inefficient company, in spite of their high gross margins.     

And there are many execs who earn this kind of money who are opposed to raising wages for ordinary employees or for a raise in the minimum wage.   Anyone who earns that kind of money cannot possibly have any idea how ordinary people have to live.   And by ordinary people, I'm including people who make minimum wage as well as people who earn average income (about $50K) or even what's considered to be very good income in this country ($100K).    

The other issue is that when you have a lot of people earning big dollars in a localized area, you get an inflationary spiral in real-estate, so people are paying $2 million or more for houses that should be worth maybe $300K.   And local services tend to rise in price as well.   
    singularity
  • Reply 40 of 50
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    lkrupp said:

well if you're basing your expert opinion on his job performance based on these rumors sites, then yeah, you're missing quite a lot. probably everything.