Apple unlikely to refresh iPhone SE in March 2017, analyst says

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
    iPhone production volume by quarter:: www.statista.com/statistics/263401/global-apple-iphone-sales-since-3rd-quarter-2007/
  • Reply 22 of 51
    Expect a new SE in March 2017 then. 
    Haha. Made me laugh.

edited November 2016 doozydozenbaconstang
  • Reply 23 of 51

robjn said:

In either 2017 or 2018 they will have new smaller phones as part of the main product line.
    Agreed.
    baconstang
  • Reply 24 of 51
    wood1208 said:
    Nothing new here. Practical approach Apple knows is SE upgrade on 2-3 year cycle for those who never want to use larger phones like my Dad. To keep cost down with good hardware inside, have trickle down spec from it's larger sibling. Focus should always be on larger phones.
    I disagree. 

Focus should be on in all three sizes. Delivering a unified model across all three. 
    I agree...all three sizes will/should have the same form factor. As you say, "Delivering a unified model across all three."
    edited November 2016 baconstang
  • Reply 25 of 51
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    There still may be some little upgrades. 
  • Reply 26 of 51
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    I can see them offering a 128GB option in the Spring as they drop the price on the base model SE. This phone is meant to be the new entry level phone, so they likely want to depreciate as fast as possible. Adding 128GB would allow them to sell more as upgrades, while they drop the price of the lowest capacity models even lower to attract a whole new user base.

The SE is based on the 6s which likely will be one of the longest lived phone out there in terms of performance. 

I don't see any reason not to add all three phone sizes to the iPhone 8. In fact removing the bezels on the 4.7" iPhone will drop it down to the same basic dimensions as the SE with a much larger screen. And it allows them to sell a premium phone to the SE crowd, while leaving the SE as the entry-level phone enabling them to continue to depreciate it. The 4" 8 can then drop down in price to replace the SE eventually with the latest technology, assuming another internal spec upgrade bringing it line with the then mid-level phone.

This also leaves a headphone jack in place for a few more years until good wireless options become more reasonable for budget customers.

Whatever the case, I don't think we will ever see any hardware imrpovements to the original SE. They might update the 128GB with 2nd gen Touch ID, but it's not going to get anything the 6S doesn't have until the 6s is discontinued, and even then I don't see them redesigning the SE yet again.
  • Reply 27 of 51
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,732member
    mac_128 said:
    I can see them offering a 128GB option in the Spring as they drop the price on the base model SE. This phone is meant to be the new entry level phone, so they likely want to depreciate as fast as possible. Adding 128GB would allow them to sell more as upgrades, while they drop the price of the lowest capacity models even lower to attract a whole new user base.

The SE is based on the 6s which likely will be one of the longest lived phone out there in terms of performance. 

I don't see any reason not to add all three phone sizes to the iPhone 8. In fact removing the bezels on the 4.7" iPhone will drop it down to the same basic dimensions as the SE with a much larger screen. And it allows them to sell a premium phone to the SE crowd, while leaving the SE as the entry-level phone enabling them to continue to depreciate it. The 4" 8 can then drop down in price to replace the SE eventually with the latest technology, assuming another internal spec upgrade bringing it line with the then mid-level phone.

This also leaves a headphone jack in place for a few more years until good wireless options become more reasonable for budget customers.

Whatever the case, I don't think we will ever see any hardware imrpovements to the original SE. They might update the 128GB with 2nd gen Touch ID, but it's not going to get anything the 6S doesn't have until the 6s is discontinued, and even then I don't see them redesigning the SE yet again.
    I think Apple has it in them to make one more update to the iPhone SE. It's a great iPhone and proven to very popular. Just as the current SE is based on the 6S, I would love to see Apple make one more update but based on the iPhone 7 : A10 SoC, 12MP camera w / OIS, 2nd generation Touch ID, Force Touch haptic home button, remove headphone jack
    designr
  • Reply 28 of 51
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    mac_128 said:
    I can see them offering a 128GB option in the Spring as they drop the price on the base model SE. 
    128 GB option is possible around Spring. A drop in price for base model is unlikely.
  • Reply 29 of 51
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,144member
    linkman said:
    Now that the 7 series has been released the biggest feature absent from the SE is water resistance. Seeing how many phones die an early death from water intrusion I find it tough to recommend that model now.
    I've carried a mobile device for 30 years and never dunked one.  I f you're that clumsy, buy a big watertight phone.
    designrmacplusplustomkarl
  • Reply 30 of 51
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    mac_128 said:

I think Apple has it in them to make one more update to the iPhone SE. It's a great iPhone and proven to very popular. Just as the current SE is based on the 6S, I would love to see Apple make one more update but based on the iPhone 7 : A10 SoC, 12MP camera w / OIS, 2nd generation Touch ID, Force Touch haptic home button, remove headphone jack
    I can see the A10, OIS, and 2nd gen Touch ID. But Force Touch would require a complete redesign. It would also be a mistake to remove the headphone jack in the entry level iPhone which will still be sold in India after it's dropped in the US. If the cost of wireless headphones drops dramatically over the next two years, and Lightning headphone adapters pop up, then maybe. Otherwise no.
    baconstang
  • Reply 31 of 51
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,732member
    mac_128 said:
    mac_128 said:

I can see the A10, OIS, and 2nd gen Touch ID. But Force Touch would require a complete redesign. It would also be a mistake to remove the headphone jack in the entry level iPhone which will still be sold in India after it's dropped in the US. If the cost of wireless headphones drops dramatically over the next two years, and Lightning headphone adapters pop up, then maybe. Otherwise no.
    Apple can do what they did with the iPhone 7 - including the Lightning headphone adaptor in the box.
  • Reply 32 of 51
    The iPhone SE is the last piece of hardware Apple got right. They gave the people what they wanted. A smaller iPhone with outstanding design and upgraded components. They didn't try to make it thinner and almost no one was pissed off about it.
    designrbaconstangk2kwGeorgeBMacurbanleopard
  • Reply 33 of 51
    mac_128 said:
    mac_128 said:

"But Force Touch would require a complete redesign"

Fair enough. But A10, OIS, & 2nd gen Touch ID would still be great upgrades. 
  • Reply 34 of 51
    well connected?
    doozydozen
  • Reply 35 of 51
    Kuo strikes again. This wouldn't surprise me though. I can't wait for the day when Apple is focused on making the best products possible not margins. It would be a shame if this product didn't get refreshed because it was too popular and didn't have high enough margins. But I get it, Apple makes more profit than anyone in history and that's all that's matters these days.
    so, so clueless. the reason people cite profits is to counter the mouth-breather narrative that market share matters, when in fact it is profit that matters. it is the air corporations breathe. it is the proof that their products are good and in high demand. very high. 

your concern troll narrative about building for profit and not quality is hogwash. dreck. 
    mike1ration aldoozydozenRayz2016
  • Reply 36 of 51
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,077member
    ireland said:
    mac_128 said:
    I can see them offering a 128GB option in the Spring as they drop the price on the base model SE. 
    128 GB option is possible around Spring. A drop in price for base model is unlikely.
    They may up the offering to 32GB at $399 and 128 GB at $499.  A memory bump but not a price cut.
  • Reply 37 of 51
    Kuo strikes again. This wouldn't surprise me though. I can't wait for the day when Apple is focused on making the best products possible not margins. It would be a shame if this product didn't get refreshed because it was too popular and didn't have high enough margins. But I get it, Apple makes more profit than anyone in history and that's all that's matters these days.
    so, so clueless. the reason people cite profits is to counter the mouth-breather narrative that market share matters, when in fact it is profit that matters. it is the air corporations breathe. it is the proof that their products are good and in high demand. very high. 

your concern troll narrative about building for profit and not quality is hogwash. dreck. 
    UBS just published a consumer survey that included people from USA, Europe and Chins. Apple came in dead last in terms of value for money. The days of all their competitors making cheap garbage is over. Apple's market share is declining in China because there are Chinese competitors selling good quality phones at a cheaper price. No it might not be sustainable. But then Apple's premium prices might not be either. We just saw Apple slash prices on USB C accessories and the new LG monitors. Just because Apple is more profitable than anyone ever right now doesn't mean it will always be that way. They have to continue to make products people are willing to pay a premium for.
    baconstang
  • Reply 38 of 51
    Just curious, why does everyone treat what this windbag says as gospel?
    doozydozen
  • Reply 39 of 51
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    robjn said:
    SE
    stands for "Special Edition".
    It's a stop gap.

They underestimated demand for a smaller phone and had no plans to release such for 6 6s or 7. Once they realized there was demand they could quickly develop the SE by using parts from the 5 series.

In either 2017 or 2018 they will have new smaller phones as part of the main product line.
    Interesting idea! So just maybe the iPhone 8 will come in three sizes, the third a small screen version.
    edited November 2016 baconstangdoozydozen
  • Reply 40 of 51
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member

Interesting comments -- but all missed what is perhaps the most important point:

Like laptops have already done, mobile phones are entering the commodity stage -- where functionality is expected and people simply go for the lowest price.  From a strictly hardware perspective, Apple has little to set it apart from its competition which, increasingly is going to include low cost manufacturers...

Yes, like the MBP loyalists, there will always be a number who are willing to pay exorbitant amounts for hardware that is incrementally better than the competition.   But increasingly Apple will be losing the mainstream customer who will ask why they should pay $800 for a piece of hardware if they can buy the equivalent grade for half of that?  So, while Apple will probably never compete in the low end market, they do need products for the mainstream customer.

But, equally important to the hardware is the Apple software and ecosystem/infrastructure.   Now that it is a definite cut above anything else on the market.   Unfortunately, Apple has a hard time selling that all important feature...  Most non-Apple customers don't even realize it exists.  Or, if they hear about it, they think it is all just smoke & mirrors and/or a marketing scheme (which is exactly what Google & Samsung want them to think).

So, the SE may be an all important marketing tool for the greatest tech company that has ever existed because it can be the gateway for the average consumer to enter the Apple environment in a commodity type market. 

As an example:  in the 80's I began working for a tech company that specialized in buying and running 2nd generation equipment.   They realized that 1st generation, bleeding edge equipment was not only less reliable because it had not been tested, but it cost a LOT more...   For the average consumer who just wants "a phone", the SE may be the product of choice.

mattinozdesignr