AT&T will entice users to sign up for DirecTV Now OTT service with free Apple TV or Fire TV

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Briefly available AT&T customer support documents not only shed some light on channels that will be available on the internet-streaming DirecTV Now video service, but also show that the telecom giant will give either an Apple TV or a Fire TV stick as a digital receiver to customers signing up for the service.

According to the customer support pages seen by entertainment-industry trade Variety, customers who commit to three months of paid DirecTV and AT&T service qualify to get the Apple TV. Customers signing up for one month will be given the option for a Fire TV stick.

The offering appears to be a loss-leader for the companies, as one month of service at $35 costs less than a Fire TV stick, and three months is far less than the retail price of the fourth-generation Apple TV.

The support documents also list Fox, Galavision, the Hallmark Channel, HDNet Movies, the Sony Movie Channel, and Univision.

Strangely, and related to streaming conditions applied by the networks, the support documents claim that NBC local channels will not be available at launch on streaming devices, like the Apple TV, or smart television sets. At least to start, NBC programming will only be available through computers and mobile devices.

The DirecTV Now service was revealed in March, and eliminates the need for a satellite receiver on the roof. The content will include most of the DirecTV programming, according to AT&T, including local live channels, on-demand programming, and premium channels for extra expense.

The service is not DirecTV's first attempt at an "over the top" network. The broadcaster launched a streaming service with Univision tailored to Spanish speakers called Yaveo in December of 2014, but ceased programming in November 2015.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    I'll sign up for 3 months get another $150 ATV for $105. Best Buy periodically offers them for $100/$150 which is what I paid for my 32GB and 64GB Apple TVs, but it's worth $5 for 3 months of programming - even if that's all its worth.

The fragmentation of these early streaming services takes me back 20 years to the days of the RCA DSS where you got some channels from USSB, other channels from DirecTV, and local channels from an antenna. Or, local phone service from one company and long distance service from another.
    edited November 2016 Metriacanthosauruscalisupadav03redgeminipa
  • Reply 2 of 21
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Hello TV/Cable providers ! If you want to be successful in TV streaming business than offer tier base packages starting at $20,$25,$30,$40 if not able to offer ala-carte package scheme. Than.offer delta packages of similar contents programming(like business news, Home shopping, Old shows/movies, International,etc) at fraction of base package. Also, come-up with delta pricing for simultaneous streaming on multiple devices. For example, base package can cost $25 for 3 streaming but HBO or other packages for multiple streams can cost additional $5 for 3 streams. Whole idea is offer flexibility to cord-cutters or contents streamers what, where and when you want to watch at reasonable price. Without wide spread piracy of sharing password like old days of Netflix. Dish SLING has done it.
    edited November 2016 Metriacanthosaurusalphafox
  • Reply 3 of 21
    I have serious doubts that AT&T will be able to deliver this service reliably. I understand on the back-end, AT&T chose IBM's cloud solution which likely won't scale like the Netflix/Amazon services out the gate. Probably best to wait until after the SuperBowl to see how this works. I have difficulty getting 300MB speed on a 1G fiber connection today. With the bandwidth requirements even for 4K it's probably best to stick with broadcast for the time being.
    Metriacanthosaurus
  • Reply 4 of 21
    zroger73 said:
    I'll sign up for 3 months get another $150 ATV for $105. Best Buy periodically offers them for $100/$150 which is what I paid for my 32GB and 64GB Apple TVs, but it's worth $5 for 3 months of programming - even if that's all its worth.
    Are we certain they won't charge you for the AppleTV if you cancel? 

If not I'll do the same...I still have a 3rd gen in the guest bedroom and no real motivation to upgrade it...unless of course I get it for free for trying 3 months of this service. Sounds like it could replace Sling for me, but we'll see what the official launch package looks like.
    calizroger73
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Hope, it doesn't suck like Sling TV.  Sling tv sound and picture quality is atrocious!! >:)
    mwhite
  • Reply 6 of 21
    zroger73 said:
    The fragmentation of these early streaming services takes me back 20 years to the days of the RCA DSS where you got some channels from USSB, other channels from DirecTV, and local channels from an antenna. Or, local phone service from one company and long distance service from another.
    I remember USSB as well. What many people also forget is that DirecTV not only absorbed USSB, but they also acquired PrimeStar along with those satellite slots in geosynchronous orbit. There used to be many options for customers; now there are very few. Taking into consideration the 2007 divestiture of AT&T's dark fiber assets (a condition set forth by the DoJ for the Cingular/AT&T merger), I doubt AT&T can deliver content without requiring customers to call and complain to their ISP whom then has to enter into a peering agreement. That's similar to what I believe occurred with Comcast/Netflix.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 7 of 21
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    I have serious doubts that AT&T will be able to deliver this service reliably. I understand on the back-end, AT&T chose IBM's cloud solution which likely won't scale like the Netflix/Amazon services out the gate. Probably best to wait until after the SuperBowl to see how this works. I have difficulty getting 300MB speed on a 1G fiber connection today. With the bandwidth requirements even for 4K it's probably best to stick with broadcast for the time being.
    Right now, DirecTV streaming works great. I use it all the time while travelling. I still get a pretty good picture, even while using crappy hotel wifi. I'm curious to see how streaming holds up when a lot more people are using it. As of now, streaming is just for current DirecTV customers. 
  • Reply 8 of 21
    mrboba1mrboba1 Posts: 276member
    Nachin said:
    Hope, it doesn't suck like Sling TV.  Sling tv sound and picture quality is atrocious!! >:)
    I'm not having that problem. How's your internet? However, I'm not sure I'm getting enough use out of it for $25/mo. We'll see. I've only had it for a month.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    ATT....the world's largest virus....
  • Reply 10 of 21
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    mrboba1 said:
    Nachin said:
    I'm not having that problem. How's your internet? However, I'm not sure I'm getting enough use out of it for $25/mo. We'll see. I've only had it for a month.
    I signed up for SLING 1-week trial to see streaming quality. My TWC internet speed 50MB, Most part the stream video/audio quality just fine except every now and than get stuck into loop(2 second clip played over). Now, this happens watching LMN movies but not live CNBC, CNN, etc. In my opinion, AT&T(or any TV provider) streaming should follow SLINg channel packaging model.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Nachin said:
    Then you're doing something wrong. I get crystal clear 1080p and 5.1 on available streams using Sling. If I didn't I wouldn't have kept it.

Their App UI is a disaster on the other hand.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    I tried the free one week trial of Sling TV and it worked fine for me. I'm considering using it every now and then when I know there are some sporting events or other programming that I want to see. I don't see CNN, ESPN, or the NFL Network on the list of DirectTV Now channels in the article. I'm hoping it's not a comprehensive list. I would definitely be willing to give DirectTV Now a try at $35/month for three months if I get an Apple TV. I will need to read the fine print closely and make sure that they are actually giving me the Apple TV, and not just loaning it to me.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    larz2112 said:
    I tried the free one week trial of Sling TV and it worked fine for me. I'm considering using it every now and then when I know there are some sporting events or other programming that I want to see. I don't see CNN, ESPN, or the NFL Network on the list of DirectTV Now channels in the article. I'm hoping it's not a comprehensive list. I would definitely be willing to give DirectTV Now a try at $35/month for three months if I get an Apple TV. I will need to read the fine print closely and make sure that they are actually giving me the Apple TV, and not just loaning it to me.
    That's not the full list of channels. There will be more than 100 so I'm sure the service will include CNN, ESPN, and the NFL Network. 
    larz2112
  • Reply 14 of 21
    If they'd drop Fox, I'd go for it. I won't support, even indirectly, lunatics promoting other lunatics or lunatic behavior.
    palomineredgeminipa
  • Reply 15 of 21
    zroger73 said:

That was my first thought: may try it just for the discounted ATV
  • Reply 16 of 21
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    All I care about is whether a subscription to DirecTV Now qualifies as a "cable or satellite" subscription.
    Some apps require a legacy cable or satellite subscription account on tv.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    zroger73 said:

If not I'll do the same...I still have a 3rd gen in the guest bedroom and no real motivation to upgrade it...unless of course I get it for free for trying 3 months of this service. Sounds like it could replace Sling for me, but we'll see what the official launch package looks like.
    "The leaked documents detail that consumers who are willing to commit to at least three months of paid service will be able to get a free Apple TV as part of a device promotion." - http://variety.com/2016/digital/news/directv-now-channel-list-leak-1201909846/

Based on that, it appears as long as keep service for three months, then you've fulfilled your obligation for receiving a free Apple TV.

I've got a couple of Apple TV 3 in guest rooms with no incentive to upgrade as well. I'm curious how much longer Apple will support the Apple TV 3 considering they were still being offered for sale new by Apple as recently as a few months ago until they quietly removed them. Apple are still selling them refurbished and some retailers like Target and Walmart are still selling them new. Even though I've been living with my Apple TV 4 for just over a year now, I still prefer the simple, fast, and effective Netflix and Hulu interfaces of the "old" Apple TV. The Apple TV 4 certainly is a more capable product, but some of the "channel" interfaces are bloated, "big league".
    edited November 2016 redgeminipa
  • Reply 18 of 21
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    I guess streaming through Sling or Directv app wont matter much once single sign on and apple's TV app come out. Buy a TV subscription from sling or Direct TV and use the actual networks apps to stream. Sorta amazed that no one has come out a cheap internet only subscription that only includes streaming with each networks app.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    zroger73 said:
    zroger73 said:

"The leaked documents detail that consumers who are willing to commit to at least three months of paid service will be able to get a free Apple TV as part of a device promotion." - http://variety.com/2016/digital/news/directv-now-channel-list-leak-1201909846/

Based on that, it appears as long as keep service for three months, then you've fulfilled your obligation for receiving a free Apple TV.

I've got a couple of Apple TV 3 in guest rooms with no incentive to upgrade as well. I'm curious how much longer Apple will support the Apple TV 3 considering they were still being offered for sale new by Apple as recently as a few months ago until they quietly removed them. Apple are still selling them refurbished and some retailers like Target and Walmart are still selling them new. Even though I've been living with my Apple TV 4 for just over a year now, I still prefer the simple, fast, and effective Netflix and Hulu interfaces of the "old" Apple TV. The Apple TV 4 certainly is a more capable product, but some of the "channel" interfaces are bloated, "big league".
    Hmmmm, I have an TV 3, and I've been thinking about a 4th generation model, but I didn't know about it's performance difference WRT Netflix and Hulu on the 3rd generation model. I also have a Roku 4, but the TV 3 UI is so much better that I just use the Roku for Amazon. Maybe I'll hold off for an TV 5 that will no doubt have 4K HDR, and perhaps a retuned UI for Netflix and Hulu. 
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Right now, DirecTV streaming works great. I use it all the time while travelling. I still get a pretty good picture, even while using crappy hotel wifi. I'm curious to see how streaming holds up when a lot more people are using it. As of now, streaming is just for current DirecTV customers. 
    Glad to hear this service works for you too! Let's admit a set-top box usually means a screen larger that 27 inches. Take into consideration that Apple set the customer expectation of 4K when it launched its AppleTV devices. The last downstream requirement for 4K on AppleTV is that AT&T will pressure its users to call and complain to their ISP providers for peering agreements with AT&T. At that point, you are back at AT&T of the 1970s; pre-breakup; divestiture. See: