Apple starts charging credit cards for first wave of MacBook Pro with Touch Bar orders

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited November 2016
Some of the customers who ordered the new MacBook Pro with Touch Bar very rapidly after its announcement are reporting their credit cards are being charged, with orders being prepared for arrival in customers' hands as soon as Nov. 11.

Multiple reports collated by AppleInsider and other sources show that Apple is gearing up for the first wave of shipments of the 13- and 15-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar, in every configuration. The credit card charges being made on Monday seem limited to those who ordered machines on the day of or the day after the Oct. 27 "Hello Again" press event.

Delivery dates for the first batch of shipments generally fall between Nov. 11 and Nov. 17, with some of the first wave reporting a date range ending as late as Nov. 25.

Users who ordered on the second day after the event, or later, appear to not be getting charged as of yet. However, some of the people who ordered late are seeing an improvement in expected delivery times from the end of December to the beginning or middle of December in recent days.

AppleInsider sources within Apple retail tell us that they aren't expecting "boosted" configurations of the MacBook Pro 13- and 15-inch with Touch Bar (including higher-end GPUs) in store at launch, but are expecting a few "baseline" models for customers to purchase on or around Nov. 15.

The 2016 MacBook Pro family, announced at Apple's "Hello Again" event, is a major redesign of Apple's flagship notebook, and comes in screen sizes of 13 and 15 inches, with core models starting at $1,799. AppleInsider was at the event, and was able to spend some time with all the latest hardware.

To grab the lowest prices on Apple's new MacBook Pro with Touch Bar, see AppleInsider's Mac Price Guide.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    My MacBook Pro was the cheaper 15" with a couple CTO options.  Bought day of the event.  Card got charged this morning, but delivery still shows at 11/17-11/25.
    AppleBum
  • Reply 2 of 41
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

Mine is a straight off the shelf low-end 15", bought a couple of hours after the event (I went back and forth on options for a while). Haven't been charged yet, but delivery shows between the 15th and 23rd.

Obviously, I'd like it earlier, if possible, but I've already arranged to take the 15th off to do some personal stuff, including hopefully take delivery.

• Reply 3 of 41
    I ordered the loaded (- the $$$$ 2TB SSD) within 2 hrs of the keynote & my estimated delivery date in Toronto is 21-25. :-/
    pulseimagessmack416fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 41
    mtbnutmtbnut Posts: 199member
    Wait, after all the doom and gloom prognostications by all the pundit "power users" who have been yelling loudly through their social media channels, one would think no one would order the "terrible" new MacBook Pro with Touch Bar. 

Or are they all a bunch of dead canaries in a coal mine? 
    lkruppnolamacguyRayz2016watto_cobrabadmonk
  • Reply 5 of 41
    Ordered a maxed 15" day after event. Still shows Nov 17-Nov 25 as ship time.
    polymniapulseimagesfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 41
    AppleBumAppleBum Posts: 37unconfirmed, member
    I suspect the ones starting to ship are standard configurations. I ordered the low-end 15" with a 512GB SSD upgrade a few hours after the event ended and the only movement I've seen thus far is my TB3-to-TB2 adapter cable preparing to ship. That updated a few hours ago.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 7 of 41
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Ordered a maxed 15" day after event. Still shows Nov 17-Nov 25 as ship time.
    Let us know what you think when it arrives.

That is the "pro" MPB that the naysayers say nay to. I suspect it will be a powerful upgrade to the last MBP.

I'm very interested to see the first IRL reactions to a top-spec MBP.
    edited November 2016 pulseimagesfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 41
    thedbathedba Posts: 764member
    mtbnut said:
    Wait, after all the doom and gloom prognostications by all the pundit "power users" who have been yelling loudly through their social media channels, one would think no one would order the "terrible" new MacBook Pro with Touch Bar. 

"Dead canaries in a coal mine" is the correct answer.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 41
    thedbathedba Posts: 764member
    I envy all of you who ordered this MBP.
    Unfortunately I couldn't justify the cost this year since last summer I upgraded to a 2015 15" MBP (w/AMD graphics) (CAN $3049) + Dell P2715Q (27" 4K monitor)(CAN $600) + Elgato 2 TB2 dock (CAN $219).

I really do believe in Apple's vision of having only TB3 over USB-C ports.  The vast majority of the public will get by without any dongles. What's left may need only 1 or 2 or a multipurpose dock will too the trick.
    Those who take to the public forums defending the so called "pro users" are just a bunch of drama queens.     
    AppleBumpulseimagesmacpluspluswatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 41
    No charge yet on my maxed 15 ordered day of. 
    Does anyone know if orders with education discount get filled in same que, or slower? Also I ordered to pick up at nearby Apple Store--anyone know if that affects time?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 41
    AppleBum said:
    I suspect the ones starting to ship are standard configurations. I ordered the low-end 15" with a 512GB SSD upgrade a few hours after the event ended and the only movement I've seen thus far is my TB3-to-TB2 adapter cable preparing to ship. That updated a few hours ago.
    Hey at least they knocked $20 (or was it $10) off the price of that adapter after you ordered it.  Free money!
  • Reply 12 of 41

xtoph said:
    Does anyone know if orders with education discount get filled in same que, or slower? Also I ordered to pick up at nearby Apple Store--anyone know if that affects time?
    The education discount will not affect your delivery, but in-store pick up will--and not in a good way.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    I ordered the 15" with 1TB Hard Drive and Upgraded Graphics. I ordered immediately following the end of the event. In fact the store was slow, so I ordered from the Store App (a trick I read about during the iPhone 6 release). I suspect it was only about 8 - 10 minutes after the event concluded that I ordered.

My card was charged again this morning, but the arrival date still shows 17 - 25th of Nov. I'd like to see a tracking number pop-up today.
  • Reply 14 of 41
    AppleBumAppleBum Posts: 37unconfirmed, member
    AppleBum said:
    Hey at least they knocked $20 (or was it $10) off the price of that adapter after you ordered it.  Free money!

It was about $15 off after my corporate discount, but who's counting?
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 15 of 41
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    mtbnut said:

Tech bloggers and “power” users will never learn. They just can’t accept the fact that they are the fringe cases, the outliers, not representative of the Mac universe in general. I think a tech writer nailed it this morning. If Apple had just left off the “Pro” moniker these new machines would be fine with that arrogant crowd.
    edited November 2016 nolamacguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 41
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    I have a shipping estimate of 25th Nov-2nd Dec, really hoping it comes a bit earlier as it's my birthday on the 16th :smiley: 

This is going to be a big upgrade from my mid 2012 non retina 15" MacBook Pro, thinner by 1cm and lighter.  I already have USB-C cables for my external drives and a USB-C gigabit lan adaptor so I'm good to go.

getting sick of reading blogs etc moaning about the new models though, like they ever push a machine to the max writing their click bait articles, LOL 
    dws-2fastasleepwatto_cobrachia
  • Reply 17 of 41
    I ordered at BTO one a week after the keynote. The ship date is 7-13 Dec. I am sure that is because they only have enough parts to build 10 early orders, Foxconn is on strike, etc. Clearly these machines will be a flop ... lol!
  • Reply 18 of 41
    mtbnut said:

They're neither "power users" nor are they those willing to test the air before the rest of us (i.e., canaries). However Apple did a spectacular job of engineering this controversy to divert the attention of smug bstrds away from a far more risky move than sticking with LPDDR3 or eliminating USB-A, HDMI, SD and GBE ports.
  • Reply 19 of 41
    xtoph said:
    I did education discount ship to home, charged this AM.  Have never been so happy to spend money!
  • Reply 20 of 41

xtoph said:
    The education discount will not affect your delivery, but in-store pick up will--and not in a good way.
    Damn--I leave on a trip the 25th, so I didn't want to risk missing it arrive at home... but I really would have liked to have it for that trip, and looks like I might have slipped under the wire if I'd gambled... catch 22