Apple said to be 'aggressive' in ordering MacBook Pro units, strong sales expected through 2017

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware
Apple is said to be bullish on sales prospects for its long-awaited MacBook Pro update, placing significant orders with suppliers through the end of the year and into 2017, according to a new supply chain report.

Citing its usual supply chain sources, DigiTimes reported this week that Apple has been "aggressive" in placing orders for new MacBook Pro models. The report characterized Apple as "optimistic" about holiday quarter sales, and that the company expects those high levels to continue into 2017.

Sources said that wasn't always the case --?initial orders for the MacBook Pro weren't as strong.

Apple was even said to have delayed orders for the MacBook Pro by a quarter due to low yield rates on some components. Specifically, hinges, battery and keyboard were also said to be problem parts.

MacBook Pro shipments for 2016 are expected to reach 15 million units, with Apple maintaining that pace next year as well, supply chain insiders predict.

Apple has already begun shipping its entry-level 13-inch MacBook Pro sans Touch Bar. It boasts two USB-C ports for charging and input, and carries an entry price of $1,499.

On the higher end, Apple is expected to soon begin shipping 13- and 15-inch varieties with the new dynamic Touch Bar, an OLED display strip that sits above the keyboard and replaces the function keys. Apple began charging customers for the new MacBook Pro with Touch Bar on Monday, suggesting shipments could begin soon. The core model is priced starting at $1,799.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,340member
    No surprise.

It's going to be very popular, same as it ever was, vocal minority not withstanding.
    lkruppandrewj5790randominternetpersonpulseimagesnetmagenolamacguyai46watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 44
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    tmay said:
    No surprise.

It's going to be very popular, same as it ever was, vocal minority not withstanding.
    If only that vocal minority could get it through their heads that they are a minority. 
    andrewj5790EsquireCatsmike1tmaypulseimagesnetmagenolamacguyai46patchythepirateaylk
  • Reply 3 of 44
    The 15 million number for MacBook Pros sold seems fishy since Apple sold less than 20 million total Macs. Unless all sales of MacBook Airs, MacBooks, iMacs, Mac Minis and MacPros combined are less than 5 million. If so, then no wonder nothing else got updated. Any other citation that might be a better guess as to proportion of MacBook Pros sold?
    edited November 2016 indiekidukmike1aylk
  • Reply 4 of 44
    they'll need the extra units for all the USB-C failures. Doing too many things in the same port is not going so well it seems.
  • Reply 5 of 44
    I just hope i have enough money to replace my very old macbook which was a 2nd hand from my brother with this new macbook pro. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 44
    I will keep using my Macbook Air as I don't want to carry adaptors. I was underwhelmed by the new Macbook Pro, which lacks "pro" specifications.
    edited November 2016 VSzulcaylkwigginapplecoredtokyojimu
  • Reply 7 of 44
    I had to post this from John Gruber of Daringfireball;

"MacRumors forum member, in the first comment after the announcement of new MacBook Pros:

Well, I’m sure I’ll be attacked for this, but I’m gonna say it anyway:

Tiny harddrive, barely enough RAM (and not upgradable to the “enough” level), no dedicated graphics, only dual-core processors. It certainly isn’t bad, but Apple just took the “pro” out of the 13-inch line. And come on - it’s freaking expensive. […]

The 13” is NOT a pro device in my opinion. It’s more like a beefed-up and slightly heavier MacBook Air. For that, it just costs way too much.

This isn’t a new comment. This was posted 4 years ago, in response to the last major MacBook Pro redesign. Déjà vu. (Via.)

and the Macrumors link below:

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/23/hands-on-with-apples-new-13-inch-retina-macbook-pro/"

netmagenolamacguypatchythepiratefastasleep
  • Reply 8 of 44
    Digitizes. Nuff said.
  • Reply 9 of 44
    baederboy said:
    The 15 million number for MacBook Pros sold seems fishy since Apple sold less than 20 million total Macs. Unless all sales of MacBook Airs, MacBooks, iMacs, Mac Minis and MacPros combined are less than 5 million. If so, then no wonder nothing else got updated. Any other citation that might be a better guess as to proportion of MacBook Pros sold?
    Mac Book Pro's will be the largest seller by far given that the Mac Book Air isn't going to be updated. The desktop's aren't near as popular.
  • Reply 10 of 44
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    they'll need the extra units for all the USB-C failures. Doing too many things in the same port is not going so well it seems.
    Based off what evidence? I love how everyone just assumes this is going to be an issue. 
    pulseimagesnetmagechiafastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 44

You want to provide evidence of that or are you just trolling?

Maybe you are speaking of shitty 3rd party cables that are causing failures, but guess what, Apple doesn't sell those.
    edited November 2016 pulseimagesnetmagechiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 44
    You know that the U in USB stands for "universal," right?
    pulseimageschiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 44
    baederboy said:

"MacBook Pro shipments for 2016 are expected to reach 15 million units."  There is still a quarter to go in 2016 (assuming they mean calendar year).
  • Reply 14 of 44
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    I will be happy if the sales continue strong into 2017 once initial upgrade by Macbook pro user's waiting for long time is done. To me, the price is relatively high even for the entry level 13.3"(I5 processor, 8GB, 256GB) macbook pro vs laptops with better spec
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 15 of 44
    People seem to have a funny perception of "Pro".  I can see that the creative industry will have a lot of devices: external harddrives, a mouse or a digitizer, an extra screen, or photos or video on an SD card.  But all of these are extra devices that need to be carried and are typically more or less personal.  So, you may as well stick an adapter on them.  Or you may carry a universal adapter that has some USB3 ports, an HDMI or VGA out port, and so on.

The rest of us professionals do other things.  We read and write, we compute, we program, we research.  We use specialized software, perhaps.  Data comes in via the internet and Wifi.  That's today's mode of connectivity, and it's been like that for a while.  External mice and keyboards are wireless.  Batteries need to be recharged, but the convenience of not having to mess with cables is nice.  For a permanent desk, why not use a Dock, or a single universal adapter.  One thing to plug in when you sit down.  Who doesn't like that?

Now, the main thing I'm going to miss is an HDMI port.  Pretty much any professional out there will need to give presentations.  I lecture, and I speak publicly -- quite regularly so.  I need a port that connects to projectors.  Now I'm going to need to carry two adapters: a VGA one, and an HDMI one.  I'm going to forget them, and it's going to lead to embarrassment.  But I think it'll be a temporary problem if USB-C is going to establish itself.

I've ordered a high-end MBP 13 for travels and work.  Retaining my older 15" MBP for work at home, and a 5K iMac on my desk at work.  Looking forward!
    watto_cobrasuddenly newton
  • Reply 16 of 44
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,034member
    It's odd that all the "problematic" parts that were supposedly responsible for delays are shared with the low-end model that is already in stores.

If Apple's being aggressive with orders, I'll bet we see some aggressive promotions later in the quarter.  I'm not saying things won't go according to plan.  On the contrary, I'm saying it's baked into the plan.  Apple didn't want to leave early adopter money on the table.
  • Reply 17 of 44
    People seem to have a funny perception of "Pro".  I can see that the creative industry will have a lot of devices: external harddrives, a mouse or a digitizer, an extra screen, or photos or video on an SD card.  But all of these are extra devices that need to be carried and are typically more or less personal.  So, you may as well stick an adapter on them.  Or you may carry a universal adapter that has some USB3 ports, an HDMI or VGA out port, and so on.

The rest of us professionals do other things.  We read and write, we compute, we program, we research.  We use specialized software, perhaps.  Data comes in via the internet and Wifi.  That's today's mode of connectivity, and it's been like that for a while.  External mice and keyboards are wireless.  Batteries need to be recharged, but the convenience of not having to mess with cables is nice.  For a permanent desk, why not use a Dock, or a single universal adapter.  One thing to plug in when you sit down.  Who doesn't like that?

Now, the main thing I'm going to miss is an HDMI port.  Pretty much any professional out there will need to give presentations.  I lecture, and I speak publicly -- quite regularly so.  I need a port that connects to projectors.  Now I'm going to need to carry two adapters: a VGA one, and an HDMI one.  I'm going to forget them, and it's going to lead to embarrassment.  But I think it'll be a temporary problem if USB-C is going to establish itself.

I've ordered a high-end MBP 13 for travels and work.  Retaining my older 15" MBP for work at home, and a 5K iMac on my desk at work.  Looking forward!

Very well said.  There are adapters that include VGA and HDMI now.  (Do you really still use VGA?  I've found that HDMI has erased the need for VGA, but I suppose it's better safe than sorry.)
    pulseimagesnetmage
  • Reply 18 of 44
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I will keep using my Macbook Air as I don't want to carry adaptors. I was underwhelmed by the new Macbook Pro, which lacks "pro" specifications.
    Wait and you have an Air? The Air is less "Pro" than the new MacBook Pros! 

Faulty logic alert. I doubt you would even need better "Pro" specs. 
    netmagenolamacguychiaVSzulcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 44
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,034member
    jungmark said:
    Wait and you have an Air? The Air is less "Pro" than the new MacBook Pros! 

Faulty logic alert. I doubt you would even need better "Pro" specs. 
    The other funny thing is the idea that you'd use a Macbook Air to avoid carrying adapters.  For the Macbook Air you need an adapter to connect to any video or wired network.  Even for my MBP (2014), I need to carry a Thunderbolt-Ethernet, Thunderbolt-VGA, and I think I've got a Thunderbolt-DVI.  At least I have HDMI built in.   I've got a Thunderbolt-Firewire though that's hardly ever useful.  The idea of adapters doesn't bother me so much as the fact that NOTHING I have works with the new ports (and I'll get over that too.)  I'm most bothered just by the price of the new machines.  
    fastasleep
  • Reply 20 of 44
    Apple may have placed advance orders but this story is at odds with the sudden drastic discounting on the new MBP eco-system. Initial sales look like a shock to Apple. Wrong prices, not enough 'Pro'. Apple needs its fingers burning from time-to-time to "stay young".