Ireland to submit appeal of EU's $14.5B Apple tax ruling on Wednesday

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2016
The Irish government is about to formally submit its appeal of the European Commission's tax ruling on Apple, Finance Minister Michael Noonan announced on Tuesday.

"The government fundamentally disagrees with the European Commission's analysis and the decision left no choice but to take an appeal to the European Courts and this will be submitted tomorrow," Reuters quoted Noonan as telling a European Parliament committee in Brussels.

Concluding a lengthy investigation, the European Commission recently ordered Ireland to collect $14.5 billion in back taxes from Apple. The country was accused of offering preferential tax deals, something constituting illegal state aid under European law. Apple has taken advantage of its Irish tax situation to funnel billions in international revenue, avoiding what it might normally owe in host countries.

While Ireland could theoretically benefit from the extra tax revenue, the country is thought to be worried about scaring away other multinational corporations, both for their tax contributions and the jobs they might provide to the economy.

Apple is also appealing the ruling, and has regularly defended itself by claiming it follows the law and pays everything it owes.

The European Commission has made similar findings against Belgium, the Netherlands, and Luxembourg for their tax deals with companies like Starbucks and Fiat Chrysler. Those parties are also appealing, but they -- along with Apple and Ireland -- may have to wait several years for a resolution.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    This is a really odd and stupid situation, which almost compatible to US election. Stupid EU want Ireland to have a hug chunk of money and Ireland don't want it what so ever.
    Can Ireland just reimburse Apple or other companies after?

On a side note, why I can't type properly on AI's app in my iP6+? Most of time I can't type anything or I can't edit anything. If I try to do that. It just stop responding. And it is the only app that has this problem. Isn't this app design for iOS? I have this problem since I installed the app few years ago!?! 

Any idea?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    viclauyyc said:
    No. if Ireland win nothing changes. if Ireland loses then Ireland has to reclaim the unpaid tax. other countries may have a claim on some of that money but it would have to be paid back.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    viclauyyc said:
    This is a really odd and stupid situation, which almost compatible to US election. Stupid EU want Ireland to have a hug chunk of money and Ireland don't want it what so ever.

On a side note, why I can't type properly on AI's app in my iP6+? Most of time I can't type anything or I can't edit anything. If I try to do that. It just stop responding. And it is the only app that has this problem. Isn't this app design for iOS? I have this problem since I installed the app few years ago!?! 

Any idea?
    The AI app is garbage when it comes to posting. Letters randomly stop appearing when typing and you have to reload the page and try again. Amazing how they can't get something as basic as typing to work. 
  • Reply 4 of 12
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Irexit¡
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 5 of 12
    slurpy said:
    viclauyyc said:

Any idea?
    The AI app is garbage when it comes to posting. Letters randomly stop appearing when typing and you have to reload the page and try again. Amazing how they can't get something as basic as typing to work. 

I think Apple iOS ddevelopment in general has gone down the tubes.  I upgraded all my apps two weeks ago and now AppStore is reporting that there are 44 new "updates".  Sometimes I wonder if apps are updated with pictures and text for the current week's ad or promotion. 

• Reply 6 of 12

No. if Ireland win nothing changes. if Ireland loses then Ireland has to reclaim the unpaid tax. other countries may have a claim on some of that money but it would have to be paid back.
    I get the impression that banks in Ireland really benefit from having access to Apple's "Float". 
  • Reply 7 of 12
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    viclauyyc said:
    Ireland have been found guilty of state aid to a company.  Are you seriously asking if they can gift money to a company?
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Soli said:
    Irexit¡
    They really should. Get the hell out of the EU, make Ireland the most business friendly country on the planet and rake in the money and jobs benefits.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Soli said:
    Irexit¡
    They really should. Get the hell out of the EU, make Ireland the most business friendly country on the planet and rake in the money and jobs benefits.
    If Ireland exit EU, then big companies like Apple will not stay in Ireland. They have the lowest corporate tax for big companies in EU. That is why they choose Ireland rather than other countries 
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Soli said:
    Irexit¡
    You know that Apple will leave Ireland shortly after Ireland leaves the EU?
    The moment Ireland leaves the EU, for all the money they make in the EU Apple has to pay tax in the EU.
    That is the sweet deal with Ireland, Apple can argue they can pay all the tax it owes because it pays tax in Ireland.
    With Ireland gone from the EU the sweet deal is gone too.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Lol. If Ireland exits the EU then its tariff-free addressable market goes from 300 million to 6 million. Great way to make yourself "business friendly".
    edited November 2016 singularity
  • Reply 12 of 12
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    Ireland are still shaking their head over the British decision and trying to figure out how to make Northern Ireland work after technically having to reinstate border controls.