Facebook enables push advertising through Messenger chats

Posted:
in iPhone
People using Facebook may soon start to receive advertising via Messenger, though only under limited circumstances, the company's VP of messaging products announced this week.

If a person has previously communicated with a company via Messenger, that business can now pay to send sponsored messages, David Marcus said at Web Summit 2016 in Dublin, according to CNET. To further calm fears about spam, people will be able to block companies from further messaging, and Facebook may penalize a business if it gets enough complaints.

Companies will, however, have a 24-hour window after a person has messaged them to send a message for free, which could encourage some to be quick about advertising.

Facebook is also rolling out support for News Feed ads that let people jump straight into a Messenger conversation, which should increase exposure to the commercial uses of the platform.

Earlier this year Facebook introduced chatbots to Messenger, capable of handling some basic customer service tasks and complete transactions. For Facebook, one advantage of bots is that they keep people in its app ecosystem, and hence exposed to its ads.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    prokipprokip Posts: 178member
    What about Facebook, Google, Apple etc congratulating Trump.

Not likely !!

But I bet if Clinton had won, Tim Cook (I know you are out there)  would have dedicated the Apple web site front page to her win.

Cookie, old mate, run the business and stop playing politics.  Its your products we are interested in, not your political views, which some of us might find irrelevant to anything else. 
  • Reply 2 of 9
    I assume that's only if you have Messenger installed.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Time to uninstall FBM.
    perkedeldouglas baileywatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 9
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Cross-platform iMessage... go!
    oneof52
  • Reply 5 of 9
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    prokip said:
    Not likely !!

Didn't for Obama.
    edited November 2016 jay-tdouglas bailey
  • Reply 6 of 9
    We can all see where this is going. First this, which is reasonably comparable to email, but then it's just a small jump to allowing any business you 'like' or checked into to send you messages. And then from there it's any category/business you might be interested in or located nearby. 

Meanwhile their apps are buggy resource whores and out performed by mobile safari. I have already moved my contacts to other messaging services for that reason alone, these new ad changes only further vindicate that move. 
    perkedeldysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 9
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    We can no longer use messaging on the Facebook mobile website. So I see where this is headed...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 9
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    prokip said:

Not likely !!

But I bet if Clinton had won, Tim Cook (I know you are out there)  would have dedicated the Apple web site front page to her win.

Cookie, old mate, run the business and stop playing politics.  Its your products we are interested in, not your political views, which some of us might find irrelevant to anything else. 
    Stop bringing politics to Appleinsider. Also please show me an example of Cook coming to Appleinsider and discussing politics, or his political views? Your man won the election can we please move on now?
    yoyo2222
  • Reply 9 of 9
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    I hate ads! Ain't use FBM.
    watto_cobra