Apple's new MacBook Pro has generated 7x more revenue than 12" MacBook at launch

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware
The new, thinner redesign of Apple's MacBook Pro lineup has been a blockbuster success out of the gate, new data suggests, blowing away dollars spent on the first 12-inch MacBook from 2015.

Sales data collected by research firm Slice suggests the new MacBook Pro has already generated more than seven times the revenue earned by the 12-inch MacBook when it went on sale in April of 2015.

In fact, in just a few weeks, the hotly anticipated MacBook Pro is said to have accumulated more revenue than any other laptop released this year.

In addition, launch sales for the MacBook Pro are already equal to 78 percent of all of the revenue generated by the 12-inch MacBook since it launched in early 2015. The data all supports Apple's own announcement that the new MacBook Pro has received more orders than any other professional-grade notebook the company has ever produced.

The strong sales come despite ongoing controversy from enthusiasts, bothered by what they see as unnecessary changes and concessions for a pro-focused machine. Specifically, the new MacBook Pro eschews full-size USB ports, the MagSafe charging connector, HDMI port and SD Card slot for four reversible USB-C ports

"We know we made good decisions about what to build into the new MacBook Pro and that the result is the best notebook ever made, but it might not be right for everyone on day one," Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller explained. "That's okay, some people felt that way about the first iMac and that turned out pretty good."

Still, Apple also offered a peace offering to pro users last week, when it cut prices temporarily on USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 accessories. Many users will require new cables or dongles to connect legacy accessories to the USB-C ports on the new MacBook Pro.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 71
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    This initial numbers might reflect many Macbook Pro users waiting for a long time to upgrade. Because Apple don't do yearly update of MBP like iphone. Once that dies down, let's hope the healthy demand continues well into 2017. In my opinion, Macbooks are design/built better than windows but must not cost twice the price of window's laptop. I will wait until 13.3 base(8GB,256GB) Macbook Pro's price hits $1199. May be that time Apple will upgrade Macbooks with Intel Cannon/Tiger/Ice lake 10nm processors, without 16GB max RAM restriction and blistering fast Optane SSD inside. This new Macbook pro stony is similar to anti-conventional wisdom American president Mr. Trump's win.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 2 of 71
    More than one USB-C port also helped.
    tokyojimu
  • Reply 3 of 71
    Of course there's an increase in revenue. It cost more and gives you less. Ports, battery size, lighted logo, mag safe, extension power cord and no optical audio.
    asdasdtokyojimujdw[Deleted User]
  • Reply 4 of 71
    Well,that's certainly what they're interested in - MONEY.
    twa440revenantasdasd[Deleted User]
  • Reply 5 of 71
    OR... it's actually a super nice machine that none of you have actually used yet. I bet it will continue to sell well and ensure for the next 3-4 years like the last one I bought.
    JustaTechobrucemclondormike1jkichlineRayz2016lkruppadrayvennolamacguydouglas bailey
  • Reply 6 of 71
    twa440 said:
    Of course there's an increase in revenue. It cost more and gives you less. Ports, battery size, lighted logo, mag safe, extension power cord and no optical audio.

I was ready to buy a fully spec'ed MacBook Pro but the lack of a lighted logo was a deal breaker.  \s
    mike1smiffy31kirkgrayRayz2016asdasdadrayvenSolisnype719stevehjony0
  • Reply 7 of 71
    twa440 said:
    Yeah Cause while the lighted logo is cool, it sure helped me in my daily work flow.... /s

For me upgrading got me, a better screen, more storage, better speakers, more ram, and more performance.  My 2012 MBA works fine, but i thought this would be a good time to upgrade...  I ordered a full mbp 13 wtih 16, 512 ssd, i7 processor maxed out...  

Granted I don't consider myself a true pro like so many do here.  I use my MB's and iMac's for management of my Photography, and other stuff like studying using virtual windows, linux, oracle boxes, and just the normal email, web stuff like most users.  I guess that makes me a sheeple in some peoples eyes.    I am ok with that, cause i got my new MBP.  
    mike1ronncaliai46stevehwatto_cobrapatchythepirate
  • Reply 8 of 71
    VSzulcVSzulc Posts: 32unconfirmed, member
    Slice get their numbers through looking at online receipts.

But since something like 90% of MacBook owners buy their laptops online (only place you can preorder) and the vast majority of PC owners get their laptops in physical stores, through their workplace or professional sales channels, Slice can't tell us anything about how MacBooks did vs. Windows laptops.

But what they tell us about the sales of MacBooks is troubling.

According to Slice, 40% of people who got a MacBook in 2014, went out and got a Windows PC as their next laptop. F O U R T Y percent. That's almost half.

That means that people ARE starting to abandon Macs, as we have been warning about. 

Remember when hen people used to abandon Windows and switch to Macs? Those were the days!
    asdasdmj web
  • Reply 9 of 71
    twa440 said:
    Yeah Cause while the lighted logo is cool, it sure helped me in my daily work flow.... /s

For me upgrading got me, a better screen, more storage, better speakers, more ram, and more performance.  My 2012 MBA works fine, but i thought this would be a good time to upgrade...  I ordered a full mbp 13 wtih 16, 512 ssd, i7 processor maxed out...  

Granted I don't consider myself a true pro like so many do here.  I use my MB's and iMac's for management of my Photography, and other stuff like studying using virtual windows, linux, oracle boxes, and just the normal email, web stuff like most users.  I guess that makes me a sheeple in some peoples eyes.    I am ok with that, cause i got my new MBP.  
    WE are talking about revenue, or did you even read the article? Eliminating the lighted logo, even though you don't care about that, saves THEM money and increases revenue.
  • Reply 10 of 71
    These numbers certainly also indicate that the Retina MacBook has been a big flop.

Think about it: MacBook Air machines used to outsell MacBook Pro's several times over.

And suddenly the machine for casual users, the successor of the Air, is only slightly bigger in sales than a machine that costs much more?

Could it be the lack of ports in the 12 inch MacBook? It's weak CPU? The fact that people don't care that much, whether it's thinner and lighter?
    croprentropys
  • Reply 11 of 71
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    This is good news. As far as I am concerned the more money Apple makes on OSX machines the more love they will give them. With a bit of luck the touch-bar will be a hit and spread to other machines. A drop in price will help them sell a ton more units. I'd love to see two MB's and two MBP's, all with touch-bars. The MB's with less power and less ports and lower prices, obviously. iPads are great and all but wherever I go most people are hunched over their laptops, not iPads. 
    asdasdcaliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 71
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member
    VSzulc said:
    Slice get their numbers through looking at online receipts.

But since something like 90% of MacBook owners buy their laptops online (only place you can preorder) and the vast majority of PC owners get their laptops in physical stores, through their workplace or professional sales channels, Slice can't tell us anything about how MacBooks did vs. Windows laptops.

But what they tell us about the sales of MacBooks is troubling.

According to Slice, 40% of people who got a MacBook in 2014, went out and got a Windows PC as their next laptop. F O U R T Y percent. That's almost half.

That means that people ARE starting to abandon Macs, as we have been warning about. 

Remember when hen people used to abandon Windows and switch to Macs? Those were the days!
    I'll bet you have a link for that; or not.
    williamlondonai46watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 71
    twa440 said:
    Appleinsider got those numbers from Slice. You know what else their numbers showed? 40% that got a MacBook in 2014 got a Windows PC as their next laptop.

In other words, people are abandoning Macs, just like enthusiasts have been warning about.

Makes you wonder if it's Apples restrictions on a supposed pro machine, or the fact that all other Macs get zero attention, that makes people give up on Macs?
  • Reply 14 of 71
    Slice Intelligence? How accurate are they?
  • Reply 15 of 71
    twa440 said:
    twa440 said:

WE are talking about revenue, or did you even read the article? Eliminating the lighted logo, even though you don't care about that, saves THEM money and increases revenue.
    How does replacing a transparent insert by a shiny aluminium one save money, or were you thinking they had a light in there just for that ? I think it was just the backlight shining through a hole so this almost certainly cost them more.

Solicalianomewatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 71
    Wow more spin? Who would have thought? So comparing sales of the thinnest and lightest computer they sell with 2 USB C ports introduced when the 2 Air models were still available is pertinent to the sales of their main workhorse machine that hasn't been updated forever and is late to market? It's like comparing sales of a Smart car to a ford pick up truck! Of course there will be strong sales ... up to a point. When you starve the market for a machine with the latest chips then having a bounce out of the gate is almost a certainty. We will see if it continues or whether Apple is affected by lower sales and has to rethink the strategy......

digitolentropys
  • Reply 17 of 71
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I'll leave this here...

Solimacplusplusstevehpscooter63watto_cobrajcdinkins
  • Reply 18 of 71
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    VSzulc said:
    twa440 said:
    Appleinsider got those numbers from Slice. You know what else their numbers showed? 40% that got a MacBook in 2014 got a Windows PC as their next laptop.

In other words, people are abandoning Macs, just like enthusiasts have been warning about.

Makes you wonder if it's Apples restrictions on a supposed pro machine, or the fact that all other Macs get zero attention, that makes people give up on Macs?
    You know, repeating the same thing over and over doesn't necessarily make it true, no matter how much you want it to be. 
    williamlondonsnype719caliai46stevehpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 71
    You know, your right, it will cost them more....
    xTradaTradeentropysGeorgeBMacjcdinkins
  • Reply 20 of 71
    Shocking!!!!! +500 starting price. I should hope so.