Apple's new MacBook Pro has generated 7x more revenue than 12" MacBook at launch

Comments

• Reply 21 of 71
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Were we really expecting anything different to happen? How many times have the technorati and so-called “pro” users condemned and vilified Apple for their design choices only to wind up with egg on their faces when the sales figures are released. Those same critics are now questioning the validity of these reports. How could something that was so denigrated and panned by the elite be selling well?

I’m comparing this to the recent election campaigns. The media, the intellectuals, the polls, the pundits, the elite all predicted a slam dunk for Clinton. It was a done deal... until the votes were cast. 
    JustaTechowatto_cobraentropyspatchythepirate
  • Reply 22 of 71
    Slash Gear didn't read the article either.
    And for all of you who don't care about the lighted logo, that single feature gave them more free advertising than they could ever imagine.
    jbishop1039entropysHabi_tweet
  • Reply 23 of 71
    thedbathedba Posts: 763member
    VSzulc said:
    Slice get their numbers through looking at online receipts.

But since something like 90% of MacBook owners buy their laptops online (only place you can preorder) and the vast majority of PC owners get their laptops in physical stores, through their workplace or professional sales channels, Slice can't tell us anything about how MacBooks did vs. Windows laptops.

But what they tell us about the sales of MacBooks is troubling.

According to Slice, 40% of people who got a MacBook in 2014, went out and got a Windows PC as their next laptop. F O U R T Y percent. That's almost half.

That means that people ARE starting to abandon Macs, as we have been warning about. 

Remember when hen people used to abandon Windows and switch to Macs? Those were the days!
    How do you know that 90% of MB owners buy their laptops online?
    Apple Stores do sell quite a few of them as well. 

It seems odd that a significant number of users who bought a laptop in 2014 will go get a new one within the following 2 year period. How did slice get that number? Is it possible that corporate clients may be ordering a certain mix of laptops?
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 71
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Those numbers are sick when compared to the competition. Wow..
  • Reply 25 of 71
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    twa440 said:
    You know, your right, it will cost them more....
    No glowing logos in the next keynote audience ;-)
    entropysHabi_tweet
  • Reply 26 of 71
    lkrupp said:
    Were we really expecting anything different to happen? How many times have the technorati and so-called “pro” users condemned and vilified Apple for their design choices only to wind up with egg on their faces when the sales figures are released. Those same critics are now questioning the validity of these reports. How could something that was so denigrated and panned by the elite be selling well?

I’m comparing this to the recent election campaigns. The media, the intellectuals, the polls, the pundits, the elite all predicted a slam dunk for Clinton. It was a done deal... until the votes were cast. 
    Ah yes, But Hillary actually won the popular vote. We'll see, happy dongling.
    hmm
  • Reply 27 of 71
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    twa440 said:
    Eliminating the lighted logo, even though you don't care about that, saves THEM money and increases revenue.
    So, up until now Apple had no idea of the bigly savings from not cutting into their Mac notebook lids save on aluminum and replace with an opaque piece of plastic You're also saying that having a big glowing logo while in use offers no free marketing when used in public. And you're saying that it has nothing to do with the radical display HW changes that started with the 12" MB and now have moved into the 13" and 15" MBPs. Got it¡
    ai46bestkeptsecretwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 71
    twa440 said:
    Of course there's an increase in revenue. It cost more and gives you less. Ports, battery size, lighted logo, mag safe, extension power cord and no optical audio.
    Gives me LESS? Really?

- best display available

- fastest storage in the world, and if you're prepared to pay for it, more of it

- better audio

- ports that can all be anything I want/need at any given moment rather being dedicated to a single function 

- smaller footprint

- lighter

To get those things I have to give up a lighted logo and an audio interface only nine of us were using that I can easily replace with a cheap USB alternative.

Seems like a good trade to me.
    Solisnype719calimacplusplusai46polymniachiapscooter63watto_cobranolamacguy
  • Reply 29 of 71
    twa440 said:
    And for all of you who don't care about the lighted logo, that single feature gave them more free advertising than they could ever imagine.
    Yet, you claim that they removed it because it "saves THEM money and increases revenue."
    ai46watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 71
    twa440 said:
    twa440 said:
    Of course there's an increase in revenue. It cost more and gives you less. Ports, battery size, lighted logo, mag safe, extension power cord and no optical audio.
    Yeah Cause while the lighted logo is cool, it sure helped me in my daily work flow.... /s

For me upgrading got me, a better screen, more storage, better speakers, more ram, and more performance.  My 2012 MBA works fine, but i thought this would be a good time to upgrade...  I ordered a full mbp 13 wtih 16, 512 ssd, i7 processor maxed out...  

Granted I don't consider myself a true pro like so many do here.  I use my MB's and iMac's for management of my Photography, and other stuff like studying using virtual windows, linux, oracle boxes, and just the normal email, web stuff like most users.  I guess that makes me a sheeple in some peoples eyes.    I am ok with that, cause i got my new MBP.  
    WE are talking about revenue, or did you even read the article? Eliminating the lighted logo, even though you don't care about that, saves THEM money and increases revenue.
    I can't stop myself, it's just too easy... Why would i read the article when i can just come here and complain... :wink: 
    Ok sorry that was uncalled for, but hey it made me laugh out loud...  
    After reading the article (yes i read it), it just seems to be non stop complaining.... So just as you guys are letting off frustrations, i let out my frustrations at the constant complaining on how how apple is destroying their market / power users, hell, maybe they are... But only time will really tell....  
    williamlondon
  • Reply 31 of 71
    twa440 said:
    Gives me LESS? Really?

- best display available

- fastest storage in the world, and if you're prepared to pay for it, more of it

- better audio

- ports that can all be anything I want/need at any given moment rather being dedicated to a single function 

- smaller footprint

- lighter

To get those things I have to give up a lighted logo and an audio interface only nine of us were using that I can easily replace with a cheap USB alternative.

Like lemmings to the sea. It's your money, Make Tim and Phil happy
  • Reply 32 of 71

Soli said:
    twa440 said:
    Yet, you claim that they removed it because it "saves THEM money and increases revenue."
    They think it did. Did you see the photo from my post above? I changed my mind. It will cost them far more.
    entropysHabi_tweet
  • Reply 33 of 71
    twa440 said:
    They think it did. Did you see the photo from my post above? I changed my mind. It will cost them far more.
    No, you thought it does, and then you were informed about how branding works and then you decided that you think they think it does, which is fucking ridiculous since that's the reason it was added. You can't claim they squeeze too much profit from their product and then claim that they're so bad at business that they leave obvious money on the table. You still haven't considered how it may not be feasible with the new backlights.
    edited November 2016 ai46pscooter63watto_cobracali
  • Reply 34 of 71
    lkrupp said:

When a MacBook Air is updated and 'called' the MacBook Pro... of course it sells well.  This is not a PRO notebook anymore (it was when it was introduced way back when) in the 'kick arse' sense of features, Port, CPU/GPU power etc.  Is it really needed... that's the business decision Apple made... No.

Regarding your assumptions of polls etc-- IMO- The problem with this years polls (as pointed out by Nate Silvers 538 late last week) was the large undecided number (at lease double from 2012 if I recall correctly) especially in the battle ground states. They indicated it could break hard one way or another. This result was not too big of a surprise to those that did their research (independent of candidate affiliation). 

ai46
  • Reply 35 of 71
    twa440 said:
    twa440 said:
    Gives me LESS? Really?

- best display available

- better audio

- smaller footprint

- lighter

Like lemmings to the sea. It's your money, Make Tim and Phil happy
    Not at all. I rail loudly at Apple almost daily. Just ask my poor wife who has to talk me down from the bell tower!

I just happen to have finally landed in a spot where I fit Apple's "intended user" profile! Well, almost -- there's no 17" version! Other than that, my needs and wants are very well served by this new machine.
    calimacplusplusai46pscooter63Rayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 71
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    twa440 said:
    twa440 said:
    Yeah Cause while the lighted logo is cool, it sure helped me in my daily work flow.... /s

For me upgrading got me, a better screen, more storage, better speakers, more ram, and more performance.  My 2012 MBA works fine, but i thought this would be a good time to upgrade...  I ordered a full mbp 13 wtih 16, 512 ssd, i7 processor maxed out...  

Granted I don't consider myself a true pro like so many do here.  I use my MB's and iMac's for management of my Photography, and other stuff like studying using virtual windows, linux, oracle boxes, and just the normal email, web stuff like most users.  I guess that makes me a sheeple in some peoples eyes.    I am ok with that, cause i got my new MBP.  
    WE are talking about revenue, or did you even read the article? Eliminating the lighted logo, even though you don't care about that, saves THEM money and increases revenue.
    MacRumors is looking for new whiners. To post here you have to pay attention and use your head.

The new MBPs have a new oxide-backed display, right? That means they're thinner and there's not enough backlight for the logo to steal. So no more in-your-face advertising, which was getting obnoxious and creating backlash anyway. Hipsters were starting to cover them up with stickers.
    Can you grasp that?
    edited November 2016 pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 71
    twa440 said:
    twa440 said:

I can't stop myself, it's just too easy... Why would i read the article when i can just come here and complain... :wink: 
    After reading the article (yes i read it), it just seems to be non stop complaining.... So just as you guys are letting off frustrations, i let out my frustrations at the constant complaining on how how apple is destroying their market / power users, hell, maybe they are... But only time will really tell....  
    And if know one complains, your going to continue to get less for more. Apple makes some of the best software in the world. They know that. Thats why they feel that they can get a premium price for hardware, and in many cases thats true. But, after 30 years of using their products, this time they went to far. I can also see with this release that the bean counters are creeping in. This almost destroyed Apple once before. Thats my opinion. 
  • Reply 38 of 71
    Does not surprise me, MacBook 12 sucks for most people, it's more like a "conceptual Mac"
    twa440entropys
  • Reply 39 of 71
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    twa440 said:
    twa440 said:
    twa440 said:

I can't stop myself, it's just too easy... Why would i read the article when i can just come here and complain... wink 
    And if know one complains, your going to continue to get less for more. Apple makes some of the best software in the world. They know that. Thats why they feel that they can get a premium price for hardware, and in many cases thats true. But, after 30 years of using their products, this time they went to far. I can also see with this release that the bean counters are creeping in. This almost destroyed Apple once before. Thats my opinion. 
    You are getting less aluminum for more — 17% less, and what was the figure on weight? 

There's a nearly superhuman amount of art and machining in these new chassis. They've been killing themselves on this redesign, and the early adopters, as usual will pay more for the retooling and the R&D. They are eager to get them, and they know the prices will be going down within a year. 

Use your head. Go to the damn store and look closely at these machines. It's disgusting that people can't even recognize ungodly quality when they see it.

By the way, that's "you're going" and "too far." 
    edited November 2016 ai46chiapscooter63watto_cobrapatchythepirate
  • Reply 40 of 71
    VSzulc said:
    These numbers certainly also indicate that the Retina MacBook has been a big flop.

Think about it: MacBook Air machines used to outsell MacBook Pro's several times over.

And suddenly the machine for casual users, the successor of the Air, is only slightly bigger in sales than a machine that costs much more?

Could it be the lack of ports in the 12 inch MacBook? It's weak CPU? The fact that people don't care that much, whether it's thinner and lighter?
    Actually, the 12 inch macbook drove mac shipments through out most of the year.
    Solimacpluspluswatto_cobracali