How Donald Trump's election as U.S. President could affect Apple

Comments

• Reply 41 of 162
    red oak said:
    BTW, it's a 10% tax holiday and then 15% going forward on all foreign earnings. Apple will be all over this and will be able to bring $200B back to the US if they wish 

Funny thing about Trump's 10%/15% proposal: US corporations can, and do, deduct foreign taxes paid on foreign profits, from any US taxes due on repatriation.  That 15tax on foreign profits going forward is nearly zeroed out with the foreign taxes paid credits US entities will surely claim.

Just like New York can't charge sales tax on shipments to Oregon, the US government should not be able to tax profits on products not manufactured, and not sold, in the US, regardless of where the parent corporation resides.

Several US firms have reincorporated outside the US in a legal maneuver to avoid US taxation of foreign derived profits.  Its the equivalent of incorporating in Delaware, but having headquarters and operations in California, or establishing a corporation (Braeburn Investments) in Nevada (no State income tax) to manage Apple's currency hedging and cash investments.  Why do you think Tesla has built/is building its giga factories in Nevada, instead of closer to its Fremont, Calif manufacturing plant?

Its all about tax advantages.  We only complain when the tax advantages are outside the US.  That makes the complainers hypocrites. 
    ration allolliverbaconstangronnmacgui
  • Reply 42 of 162
    That little thing called democracy elected Hitler, elected Hamas, and made slavery legal for nearly one hundred years. Don't think that it being the will of the people, makes the evil of Trump and his agenda justifiable. Americans who voted for Trump will have to live with their choice. Let's just hope America is around in 4 years and that elections take place.
    Get over yourself........For the sky to fall congress, senate and everyone in between would need to be complicit. America will roll on.
    flaneurmacseekerSpamSandwich
  • Reply 43 of 162
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    rob53 said:
    lkrupp said:
    Uh, err, Daniel, the election is over. Your stump speech is a day late and a dollar short. Sore loser still fapping the fud, Daniel? Even Hillary said we need to at least give him a chance. I’m waiting to see how many celebrities actually move out of the U.S. like they swore they would do if The Donald won. Streisand, Amy Schumer, Notorious RBG, Whoopi Goldberg, Alec Baldwin, Cher, Miley Cyrus. Anybody see the For Sale signs yet?
    It isn't a stump speech, it's an attempt to understand how Trump's attempts at national policy would affect Apple. I've also heard people say he'll be impeached within his first year, if he even survives the federal racketeering charges. Of course, all the Republican and conservative judges will give him a pass because he's the incoming President and all he needs to do is force the trial into a conservative suburb or one of the many red districts in the farm land and nobody will convict him of anything.

Yes, I'm upset he won because he has no business being our President. 
    You do realize that the vast majority of the country disagrees with you. Trump was the best choice to avoid the police state mentality of Clinton
    macseekerbestkeptsecretSpamSandwich
  • Reply 44 of 162
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    sdw2001 said:
    Biased, transparent, willfully ignorant article.  Huge mistake, AI
    This article is simply quotes taken directly from Trump's mouth and logical prognostications. So either Trump is promising big changes or he's all talk. If you're butt hurt over this piece, you have a rough 4 years ahead.
    roundaboutnowlondordysamoriaration allolliverbaconstangsingularityidreyLeBart1968ronn
  • Reply 45 of 162
    I'm surprised some people seem to object to this article--I think it's useful and interesting to contemplate, based on what we know so far, and this is a thoughtful effort. And perhaps the biggest point is that we don't know much about what he would really do or be able to do, given that so many of his proposals have been more conceptual than concrete or consistent, and based on the perspective of a real estate developer rather than someone with a knowledge of government. As that changes, a more clear picture should emerge.

One additional point is that some of his more globally controversial proposals could lead to a weaker dollar, which would clearly be good for Apple in some ways, as long as those same proposals didn't hurt Apple more in other ways. (Please don't take this as an invitation for angry off-topic rants--I've done my best to keep mine objective.)
    The problem with the article is that it is garbage, pure speculation. Beyond that there is every reason to believe that Clinton would have done much worst when it comes to our Bill of Rights freedoms. The fact is the current administration played with our rights in many ways that frankly are scary to anybody that been around for any length of time. It is foolish to say Trump would be worst when we have had an administration that has been so hostile to the constitution.
    redefiler
  • Reply 46 of 162
    Templeton said:
    Cannot find folks to work in his administration. Want a job?.
    I'd love to run NASA! Frankly doing a better job than what we have seen over the last two decades can't be that hard. Of course 90% of that is getting congress to go along.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 47 of 162
    International companies like Apple are required by the United States to pay domestic taxes on foreign income, but only if those earnings are brought back into the U.S. Because of this, Apple has amassed over $200 billion in foreign earnings that it has held as being "reinvested overseas."

I'm against Apple on this.  It's time Trump state that Apple have different international CEOs to run the companies internationally and not categorize as one APPLE...but many independent APPLE companies (meaning there should be different apples company).
  • Reply 48 of 162
    fpplan said:
    Comments from trump fans prove they tend to be nothing but unintelligent, angry people who get all their opinions and information from an echo chamber of internet memes.
    Oh really? All the violent protests and garbage on the media is a positive reflection on the Democrats. Frankly I've seen far more hostility from the left this election than any time in the past. Why? Probably because the failure of their policies have been observed by the general electorate as BS.
    designrmacseekerSpamSandwich
  • Reply 49 of 162
    This partisanship is depressing; people need to get over it.  There are very real differences between what Trump and Clinton presidencies would entail, but to the average person they are second and third order issues that don't directly impact them.  Yes, the idea of a Guliani Attorney General scares the living shit out of me, but I can't really say that Hillary would be that different in her choice.  The same goes for other economic issues.

That said, limiting H1B's is great! Repatriation tax holiday-- that should put enough money in my pocket to buy a little house!  Outlawing abortions-- not going to impact me!  Protectionism... well, I guess I visit Hawaii rather than Thailand or Mexico.  More coal power... well, avoid waterfront property.  Being a laughingstock on the global stage... just turn up your reality tv show...

Now, if you have kids, either outcome would make the majority of you shit your pants in a few months, so get over it.
    londorSpamSandwich
  • Reply 50 of 162
    securtis said:
    fpplan said:
    Comments from trump fans prove they tend to be nothing but unintelligent, angry people who get all their opinions and information from an echo chamber of internet memes.
    Obviously, lots of flyover country and the rust belt felt quite alienated by the political machine. Hillary was more of the same, nothing exciting, just like a buick car. At least with trump, he was unique and gave them something to believe in. Gary Johnson may/may not have acted as Ralph Nader II and siphoned some votes from Hillary.
    The problem was that Democrats back in the time when Obama first got elected had all sorts of promises about turning around the country. Those promises have been shown to be garbage and that the party was in fact controlled by power brokers that had no interests in the condition of the average American. Basically the Democrats demonstrated that they are in fact worst than the republicans when it comes to the best interests of Americans.
    designrmacseekerbestkeptsecretaderutterSpamSandwich
  • Reply 51 of 162
    jSnivelyjSnively Posts: 429administrator
    Popping in here real quick to remind everyone to be respectful and keep things civil... or else :smile:
    edited November 2016 designrbestkeptsecretbaconstangsingularityduervoai46macguilymf
  • Reply 52 of 162
    schlack said:
    I am ashamed of my country.
    rob53 said:
    lkrupp said:
    Uh, err, Daniel, the election is over. Your stump speech is a day late and a dollar short. Sore loser still fapping the fud, Daniel? Even Hillary said we need to at least give him a chance. I’m waiting to see how many celebrities actually move out of the U.S. like they swore they would do if The Donald won. Streisand, Amy Schumer, Notorious RBG, Whoopi Goldberg, Alec Baldwin, Cher, Miley Cyrus. Anybody see the For Sale signs yet?
    It isn't a stump speech, it's an attempt to understand how Trump's attempts at national policy would affect Apple. I've also heard people say he'll be impeached within his first year, if he even survives the federal racketeering charges. Of course, all the Republican and conservative judges will give him a pass because he's the incoming President and all he needs to do is force the trial into a conservative suburb or one of the many red districts in the farm land and nobody will convict him of anything.

"Yes, I'm upset he won because he has no business being our President."

There's this little thing called a democracy where the people have the power to decide who leads the country and who doesn't. And they have spoken. 
    That little thing called democracy elected Hitler, elected Hamas, and made slavery legal for nearly one hundred years. Don't think that it being the will of the people, makes the evil of Trump and his agenda justifiable. Americans who voted for Trump will have to live with their choice. Let's just hope America is around in 4 years and that elections take place.
    Honestly I wish somebody would tell me what this evil is. He wants to keep terrorist and illegal aliens out of the country, there is nothing bad about that at all.
    macseekeraderutter
  • Reply 53 of 162
    jSnively said:
    Popping in here real quick to remind everyone to be respectful and keep things civil... or else :smile:
    Just lock the thread already please.  The children can't behave online. 
    singularityduervomacguilymf
  • Reply 54 of 162
    misamisa Posts: 827member

Prior to becoming president, Trump also faces two federal trials over alleged federal racketeering related to his Trump University and allegedly defrauding consumers and the elderly, as well as a New York state investigation into his Trump Foundation.
    IMO...

All that's going to happen is that US companies will just move to their HQ to Canada or Ireland, and take the tax benefits of doing so. Burger King/Tim Hortons (QSR) did a tax inversion and this would benefit them. Many other companies would do this.

I don't see Apple doing this since it's such an American establishment, but that doesn't rule out moving the HQ and everything else business as usual.

If Trump tears up the TPP, NAFTA and all the other trade agreements and puts tariffs on everything, that goes against Republican party policy (which is generally pro-globalization.)

What is far more likely to happen is that Trump never makes it into office due to the criminal proceedings against him, and even if he does make it to the White house, it's extremely unlikely he will be able to get anything done. Obama had a hard time because the Senate was obstructionist, the Senate can still be obstructionist. There is not a 60-vote majority to be had. All Trump has is the ACA as the carrot for the Sentate/House to do what he says, once the ACA is repealed, there are no more carrots to use on congress. Sure there may be a few things that get through that US citizens will not be fond of, but the big one is the ACA (Obamacare) and I don't see Trump repealing that as the first thing he does in office, because that would be letting the horses out of the barn to torch the barn and not replace it.
    smiffy31duervopropod
  • Reply 55 of 162
    Daniel disguising his political views as an article about Apple.  Daniel, himself, is a Twitter agitator.
    Kasper should fire him.
    I've complained before about Daniel's tweets, but this continues.
    I'm no longer supplying content to this site.
    I'll instead supply to my own blog and/or a competitor.
    Both candidates were terrible, but this is supposed to be a website about Apple.

Ryan
    edited November 2016 macseekerbestkeptsecretSpamSandwich
  • Reply 56 of 162
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    securtis said:
    fpplan said:
    Obviously, lots of flyover country and the rust belt felt quite alienated by the political machine. Hillary was more of the same, nothing exciting, just like a buick car. At least with trump, he was unique and gave them something to believe in. Gary Johnson may/may not have acted as Ralph Nader II and siphoned some votes from Hillary.
    It is far more likely that Johnson got votes that might've otherwise gone to Trump. Libertarians tend to side with republicans more than democrats.
    baconstangSpamSandwich
  • Reply 57 of 162
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

DED,

I appreciate your analysis of tech, however, you need to stay out of politics. You cannot put too much weight on Trumps words, they are just word, just like the balance of profession politicians, they say lots and never do anything about it. We have to watch Trumps actions and not his words. Think of his works as tennis balls in a room of golden retrievers, Trump throws them out and the golden retrievers chase them around all while Trump is off doing other things. You are too busy focusing on the words and missing what is really happening. We all have to see what his actions will be to really determine whether any of it will be good or bad. What we know is Trump is making money and some people are happy working with him and others are not, but that is the nature of the world of business.

I know a few people commented about Trump university, from the sounds of it, his university is no different than most of the Universities in this country, The term today is call flunk out Universities, Most of the Universities today, as only interest in freshman tuitions and do not care if students get past the first year. Most Universities in the country now admit more freshman than they can support, knowing full well most will not last but they got their money in the mean time. If these people who were not satisfied are successful with suing Trump that means the flood gates will be open to sue every University in the Country since people can claim they paid them and they did not provide and education they expected.

pscooter63roakegtr
  • Reply 58 of 162
    wizard69 said:
    rob53 said:
    lkrupp said:

You do realize that the vast majority of the country disagrees with you. Trump was the best choice to avoid the police state mentality of Clinton
    50% is hardly a "vast majority".
    ration alpscooter63lolliverbaconstangduervo
  • Reply 59 of 162

wizard69 said:
    fpplan said:
    Oh really? All the violent protests and garbage on the media is a positive reflection on the Democrats. Frankly I've seen far more hostility from the left this election than any time in the past. Why? Probably because the failure of their policies have been observed by the general electorate as BS.
    What "violent protests"?
    lolliverbaconstangduervo
  • Reply 60 of 162

Outlawing abortions-- not going to impact me!
    Congratulations on your absolute antipathy for women everywhere.
    ration albaconstangmacseekersingularityduervomacguipropod
This discussion has been closed.