Apple's new MacBook Pro has generated 7x more revenue than 12" MacBook at launch

Comments

• Reply 41 of 71
    1boeyc15 said:
    lkrupp said:
    Were we really expecting anything different to happen? How many times have the technorati and so-called “pro” users condemned and vilified Apple for their design choices only to wind up with egg on their faces when the sales figures are released. Those same critics are now questioning the validity of these reports. How could something that was so denigrated and panned by the elite be selling well?

I’m comparing this to the recent election campaigns. The media, the intellectuals, the polls, the pundits, the elite all predicted a slam dunk for Clinton. It was a done deal... until the votes were cast. 

When a MacBook Air is updated and 'called' the MacBook Pro... of course it sells well.  This is not a PRO notebook anymore (it was when it was introduced way back when) in the 'kick arse' sense of features, Port, CPU/GPU power etc.  Is it really needed... that's the business decision Apple made... No.

Regarding your assumptions of polls etc-- IMO- The problem with this years polls (as pointed out by Nate Silvers 538 late last week) was the large undecided number (at lease double from 2012 if I recall correctly) especially in the battle ground states. They indicated it could break hard one way or another. This result was not too big of a surprise to those that did their research (independent of candidate affiliation). 

Just an updated macbook air?

Macbook airs don't have 4 thunderbolt ports, don't have 28w cpus, don't have DGPUs…

I don't see whats so different about this macbook pro compared to the others without the retina display.
    The only thing they don't do is let you upgrade the ram, which many computers competing with the pro have removed.
    Solichiacali
  • Reply 42 of 71
    For most users the ports will not be an issue as we're literally talking about swapping a cable for nearly all issue resolutions – don't give me that SD card is essential crap, pro photographers have been on wireless for 5+ years now (at worst the faux-pros will have to use an adapter instead of the floppy-disc like SD cards.)

What makes a pro machine is pro application performance: testing has already shown that ram/page outs aren't an issue and pro application performance is through the roof. The new SSD's significant leap in performance is more than making up for any ram limitation scenarios. (Along with macOS's superior handling of RAM.)

What this actually means for pros:
    1. No more proprietary thunderbolt for screens, every HD screen 5k+ will be on the USB-C plug.
    2. No more proprietary chargers, you can charge this with any USB pack. (literally just throw out your old USB-A cables.)
    3. No more dead ports, every port on this machine is whatever you want it to be - this is the most versatile mac ever.
    A short term inelegance of adapters for old peripherals is paving the way for when we don't need to think about plugs, adapters or which way that f'n USB cable goes in.

This is why pros are eating it up, not because they're starved - but because this is the most future proof mac ever.
    Soliai46polymniachialorin schultzwatto_cobrapscooter63patchythepiratecali
  • Reply 43 of 71
    robintosh said:
    Does not surprise me, MacBook 12 sucks for most people, it's more like a "conceptual Mac"
    Let me tell you its an absolute awesome Mac for traveling. Its very capable for most users, very small and extremely light. In my case the laptop its in weighs more than the laptop and its just a simple laptop bag with one opening. This is exactly what Apple needs for constant travelers. I was very happy with mine on a recent trip. 

Its not extremely speedy and powerful and it doesn't need to be. That being said it will run almost anything fine. It certainly has its place in Apple's laptop lineup and I bet it does pretty well in its space. It pretty much will be the MacBook Air replacement once they can get the price of it down a slightly more. 
    edited November 2016 pscooter63watto_cobracali
  • Reply 44 of 71
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    For most users the ports will not be an issue as we're literally talking about swapping a cable for nearly all issue resolutions – don't give me that SD card is essential crap, pro photographers have been on wireless for 5+ years now (at worst the faux-pros will have to use an adapter instead of the floppy-disc like SD cards.)

What makes a pro machine is pro application performance: testing has already shown that ram/page outs aren't an issue and pro application performance is through the roof. The new SSD's significant leap in performance is more than making up for any ram limitation scenarios. (Along with macOS's superior handling of RAM.)

1. No more proprietary thunderbolt for screens, every HD screen 5k+ will be on the USB-C plug.
    2. No more proprietary chargers, you can charge this with any USB pack. (literally just throw out your old USB-A cables.)
    3. No more dead ports, every port on this machine is whatever you want it to be - this is the most versatile mac ever.
    A short term inelegance of adapters for old peripherals is paving the way for when we don't need to think about plugs, adapters or which way that f'n USB cable goes in.

This is why pros are eating it up, not because they're starved - but because this is the most future proof mac ever.
    This is exactly how I feel. I'm anxiously awaiting real-world testimonials of the top-spec 15" MBP before making a decision to trade up.

On paper, it seems like a brilliant design for the reasons listed above.

Funny how others have looked at that same paper and come to the exact opposite conclusion.
    Solianomepscooter63EsquireCatswatto_cobracali
  • Reply 45 of 71
    twa440 said:
    twa440 said:
    Of course there's an increase in revenue. It cost more and gives you less. Ports, battery size, lighted logo, mag safe, extension power cord and no optical audio.
    Yeah Cause while the lighted logo is cool, it sure helped me in my daily work flow.... /s

For me upgrading got me, a better screen, more storage, better speakers, more ram, and more performance.  My 2012 MBA works fine, but i thought this would be a good time to upgrade...  I ordered a full mbp 13 wtih 16, 512 ssd, i7 processor maxed out...  

Granted I don't consider myself a true pro like so many do here.  I use my MB's and iMac's for management of my Photography, and other stuff like studying using virtual windows, linux, oracle boxes, and just the normal email, web stuff like most users.  I guess that makes me a sheeple in some peoples eyes.    I am ok with that, cause i got my new MBP.  
    WE are talking about revenue, or did you even read the article? Eliminating the lighted logo, even though you don't care about that, saves THEM money and increases revenue.
    Are you confused? Saving them money has nothing to do with revenue.  Revenue is the sales dollars.  Profit is Margin. 
    EsquireCatswatto_cobracali
  • Reply 46 of 71
    I bought it. They could have served up a literal steaming piece of dog crap with a Skylake processor and 16GB of ram in a plastic shopping bag for $2k but I still would have bought it to run OSX. This doesn’t make this new model computer a success because it’s caused brand damage to me and probably many others.

I have an iPhone 7 and the new Macbook Pro and my opinion of Apple has dropped to a simmering hatred. I’m locked into their ecosystem OSX/iPhone but i’m very dirty about the recent state of affairs. 1/ how they priced these computers to screw us 2/ I can’t connect my iPhone 7 headphones into my macbook without a dongle 3/ can’t connect my iPhone 7 USB into my macbook without a dongle. The fact they did not include a usb-a to usb-c dongle bundled for free with the computer after spending $2700 on a computer makes me absolutely hate this company with a seething passion.

I purchased it, but have spent a lot more time looking at windows laptops and pc hardware in the last few weeks than any time in the last 10 years. I even just installed Windows 10 bootcamp to try it out. It’s improved a lot.

Their numbers might look good now but my relationship with Apple has soured and I’ll be leaving the second theres a better alternative.
    edited November 2016 jdw
  • Reply 47 of 71
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    pentae said:
    I bought it. They could have served up a literal steaming piece of dog crap with a Skylake processor and 16GB of ram in a plastic shopping bag for $2k but I still would have bought it to run OSX. This doesn’t make this new model computer a success because it’s caused brand damage to me and probably many others.

I have an iPhone 7 and the new Macbook Pro and my opinion of Apple has dropped to a simmering hatred. I’m locked into their ecosystem OSX/iPhone but i’m very dirty about the recent state of affairs. 1/ how they priced these computers to screw us 2/ I can’t connect my iPhone 7 headphones into my macbook without a dongle 3/ can’t connect my iPhone 7 USB into my macbook without a dongle. The fact they did not include a usb-a to usb-c dongle bundled for free with the computer after spending $2700 on a computer makes me absolutely hate this company with a seething passion.

I purchased it, but have spent a lot more time looking at windows laptops and pc hardware in the last few weeks than any time in the last 10 years. I even just installed Windows 10 bootcamp to try it out. It’s improved a lot.

Their numbers might look good now but my relationship with Apple has soured and I’ll be leaving the second theres a better alternative.
    No doubt there are other things that bug you, but you made three distinct points that cause your seething, passionate hatred of Apple:

1: Too expensive. Well, you bought one. I guess you had the money. Furthermore, it no out of line with MacBook Pros of the past. They have been drifting down in price the last few years. The original 2006 entry-level 15" MBP started at USD $2000. They drifted down to $1800-ish by 2012-ish. Did a little poking around at Everymac on prices before writing this. The new MBPs are the most expensive ever, but they aren't radically out of line with historical prices.

2: Dongle needed. Somewhat inconvenient, I'll grant you. But enough to be this upset?

3: Dongle for iPhone isn't really required. You can get a USB-C to Lightning cable from Apple. It's on sale, no less.

Like I said, I'm sure you have your reasons for being so upset. Maybe for other reasons than what you wrote in your post.
    watto_cobrachia
  • Reply 48 of 71
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    polymnia said:
    1: Too expensive. Well, you bought one. I guess you had the money. Furthermore, it no out of line with MacBook Pros of the past. They have been drifting down in price the last few years. The original 2006 entry-level 15" MBP started at USD $2000. They drifted down to $1800-ish by 2012-ish. Did a little poking around at Everymac on prices before writing this. The new MBPs are the most expensive ever, but they aren't radically out of line with historical prices.
    Here’s how the starting prices have gone on the 15” MBPs.
    • 2006 - $1999 (New casing. Move to Intel) 
    • 2009 - $1699 (Same casing as the 2008 model. Only a basic spec bump.) *Minus $300*
    • 2010 - $1799 (Same casing as the 2008 model, yet the starting price went up because they boosted the components more than usual.) *Plus $100*
    • 2012 - $2199 (New casing. Move to Retina display with 4x pixels on IPS panel with LED backlight. USB 3.0, Thunderbolt, and many other major advancements.) *Plus $400*
    • 2013 - $1999 (Same casing as 2012 model. Only a basic spec hump.) *Minus $200*
    • 2016 - $2399 (New casing. T1 chip running bridgeOS, based on watchOS, that controls a second display that is OLED multitouch, controls Touch ID and Apple Pay, with Xcode APIs and OS support. Supports 4 TB3 and USB 3.1 ports. Much improved color accuracy and brightness in display while using less power. 2x larger multitouch trackpad, 2x faster SSD using Apple-design controller, and many other major advancements.) *Plus $400*
    watto_cobrachiaJustaTecho
  • Reply 49 of 71
    Not surprising, most of the people I know would consider the Macbook 12" but couldn't get past the single port.

Why they don't just add another port, who knows, I guess to keep the sales down and push it up to the 13" Pro model.

Seems to be working.
  • Reply 50 of 71
    twa440 said:
    twa440 said:
    Of course there's an increase in revenue. It cost more and gives you less. Ports, battery size, lighted logo, mag safe, extension power cord and no optical audio.
    Gives me LESS? Really?

- best display available

- fastest storage in the world, and if you're prepared to pay for it, more of it

- better audio

- ports that can all be anything I want/need at any given moment rather being dedicated to a single function 

- smaller footprint

- lighter

To get those things I have to give up a lighted logo and an audio interface only nine of us were using that I can easily replace with a cheap USB alternative.

Seems like a good trade to me.
    Like lemmings to the sea. It's your money, Make Tim and Phil happy

You said "lemmings" instead of "iSheep" or the acceptable "Sheeple". I have to revoke your troll privileges for that.
    Rayz2016watto_cobraSoliJustaTechocali
  • Reply 51 of 71
    twa440 said:
    twa440 said:
    Gives me LESS? Really?

- best display available

- fastest storage in the world, and if you're prepared to pay for it, more of it

- better audio

- ports that can all be anything I want/need at any given moment rather being dedicated to a single function 

- smaller footprint

- lighter

To get those things I have to give up a lighted logo and an audio interface only nine of us were using that I can easily replace with a cheap USB alternative.

Not at all. I rail loudly at Apple almost daily. Just ask my poor wife who has to talk me down from the bell tower!

I just happen to have finally landed in a spot where I fit Apple's "intended user" profile! Well, almost -- there's no 17" version! Other than that, my needs and wants are very well served by this new machine.

I'm not your wife, but I can vouch for this claim. I do recall a lot of times I never agreed with your posts.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 71
    polymnia said:
    pentae said:

No doubt there are other things that bug you, but you made three distinct points that cause your seething, passionate hatred of Apple:

2: Dongle needed. Somewhat inconvenient, I'll grant you. But enough to be this upset?

3: Dongle for iPhone isn't really required. You can get a USB-C to Lightning cable from Apple. It's on sale, no less.

Like I said, I'm sure you have your reasons for being so upset. Maybe for other reasons than what you wrote in your post.
    For me it comes down to feeling nickeled and dimed and not feeling listened to as a customer.

Imagine buying a new Mercedes with less horsepower that costs a massive luxury premium and doesnt have cupholders and after you buy the car you realise they didnt include floor mats thats extra. 

Apple used to be a company where you were happy to pay a Luxury tax because of the feeling you are being looked after with a superior customer experience and after care. After killing the headphone jack on the 7 and by not including a usb-c to usb-a connector with every machine they already charge a massive premium for, that feeling has gone away completely for me. They are now just greedy assholes.
    jdw
  • Reply 53 of 71
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 54 of 71
    Apple used to be a company where you were happy to pay a Luxury tax because of the feeling you are being looked after with a superior customer experience and after care. 

Dammit, I'm gonna sound like a fanboy again...

1. Called Apple about a problem with my WiFi. Got bumped up to a senior advisor who spent almost an hour and a half troubleshooting with me. Diagnosed fault with out-of-warranty Airport. Apple replaced it under the AppleCare on my Mac.

2. My 7-year-old MBP developed pink eye. Knowing the new ones were on the horizon (this was late September) I bought an Air to tide me over. When I ordered my new MacBook Pro five weeks later they let me return the Air for a full refund.

3. I ordered some USB-C accessories at the same time as the new computer. After they lowered the prices I called to see if could get a credit for the difference. They'd already done it, without me asking. 

As as much as I usually bitch about Apple, I gotta admit that I feel like I'm getting my money's worth lately.
    polymniaJustaTechopscooter63
  • Reply 55 of 71
    Stop feeding the trolls!
    pscooter63
  • Reply 56 of 71
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member

The fact that the RAM and the SSD are not upgreable is a clear indication that Apple does has not given a  lot of attention to the future proof nature of the new MacbookPro
    As a software developer I am currently at the edge of the 16GB of RAM of my machine.  Giving that  a new machine I buy need to last at least 3 years and that the RAM requirements are only growing in time, the new Macbook Pro is for me definitely not a future proof system. 
    Of course your mileage may vary.

edited November 2016
  • Reply 57 of 71
    macxpress said:
    robintosh said:
    Does not surprise me, MacBook 12 sucks for most people, it's more like a "conceptual Mac". 

Its not extremely speedy and powerful and it doesn't need to be. That being said it will run almost anything fine. It certainly has its place in Apple's laptop lineup and I bet it does pretty well in its space. It pretty much will be the MacBook Air replacement once they can get the price of it down a slightly more. 
    Yet it is extremely speedy. It has the fastest SSD implementation in the industry, thanks to the NVMExpress technology which attaches the SSD thru PCIe, not the old SATA-3 (Recent models; check thru About this Mac / System Report).
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 58 of 71
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    twa440 said:
    twa440 said:
    Gives me LESS? Really?

- best display available

- better audio

- smaller footprint

- lighter

You said "lemmings" instead of "iSheep" or the acceptable "Sheeple". I have to revoke your troll privileges for that.
    Well, yes he was trolling, but at least he was poetic about it.
  • Reply 59 of 71
    cropr said:

The fact that the RAM and the SSD are not upgreable is a clear indication that Apple does has not given a  lot of attention to the future proof nature of the new MacbookPro
    As a software developer I am currently at the edge of the 16GB of RAM of my machine.  Giving that  a new machine I buy need to last at least 3 years and that the RAM requirements are only growing in time, the new Macbook Pro is for me definitely not a future proof system. 
    Of course your mileage may vary.
    They give you the fastest SSD in the industry, which won't be widespread until mid-2017 earliest, then what else do you want to call it future proof?

RAM is not upgradable because you are not qualified to do that upgrade. RAM has many undocumented parameters which are beyond your reach or your everyday electronics shopping site's.

SSD is movable, but it has a custom Apple controller. Whether this will lead to a future upgrade option is at the discretion of Apple but also depends on user demand. Apple leverages the high SSD (and RAM) prices by its volume purchases. But an "option" cannot benefit from such leverages. Those are expensive items and will always cost you more than they cost to Apple in volume purchases. Thunderbolt SSD drives cost half of a laptop a terabyte. Is that an "option" right now?
    edited November 2016 cali
  • Reply 60 of 71
    Now imagine what the sales numbers would be, if apple priced the laptops right.