Time for a new GPU.. But which one?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
At the moment I still have the 16mb ATI Rage 128Pro, Which has stood the test of time pretty well, the graphics can still be impressive, but, on a major downside it's not QE compatible and It's not that good with OpenGL so I've decided it's time for a new GPU.

I'm looking at the ATI Radeon 8500 or the NVIDIA Geforce 4Ti.

Although the NVIDIA claims to be the worlds fatest graphics card all the demos on their website don't look as good as the ATI Radeon's.

The ATI is more within my price range, but I dont want to spend £179 on a card that might be obsolete in about a year so I need to know how long it will last.

Also, I think the ATI has s-video output, I want some way of connecting a TV and I don't know if the NVIDIA supports this.

Any suggestions? It doesn't have to be ATI or NVIDIA as long as is does OpenGL and QE, can output to a TV and is under £300 (preferably under £200).

Andrew

Comments

• Reply 2 of 7
    You cant go wrong with the GRforce TI as it is supported by all and upcomming games and youll get one heck of a frame rate.

with my experience i bought a radeon about a year ago and it was total pants. problems in some games needing patches for the ATI card and slow downs in GL.

Stick with NVIDIA you cant go wrong.

P.S. You might want to wait for a month and get the new card which has some voodoo mixed in the bag.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    What computer are you putting this into?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    450mhz G4 Tower (graphite)

712mb of RAM

Mac OS X 10.2.3

What is Voodoo, apart from black magic?

Can NVIDIA or whatever Voodoo is connect to a TV?

Andrew
  • Reply 5 of 7
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Merry Christmas!

Well, I'm not so sure on the Mac side, but on the PC side I'd think first before putting a near top-end video card into a system that can't dump enough information to it quickly. A 450 G4 may not be able to get everything out of a Geforce 4 Ti, or anything above that card... I'd suggest the Radeon 8500, that's probably as high as I'd go with a video card for that system.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Purchasing advice belongs in General Discussion. Moving now...
  • Reply 7 of 7
    I think I'll go for the ATI Radeon then I don't know when though, unfortunately there's <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=002466#000000"; target="_blank">a lot of expensive stuff</a> I wan't at the moment and I've got to work out what is more necessary and where I'm going to get the money from.

Andrew