Apple CEO Tim Cook urges employees to 'move forward together' in memo on 2016 presidential election

Comments

• Reply 81 of 145
    gatorguy said:
    xbit said:
    lkrupp said:
    Read an article reporting that several universities are being petitioned by activist groups to cancel classes so students have a chance to cry and deal with their depression and anxiety issues. Safe places.
    Would you care to link us to this article?
    This is one that came up in a few second search. 
    https://milo.yiannopoulos.net/2016/11/liberal-professors-students-trump-victory/

Here's another if you were bothered by the first one. 
    http://reason.com/blog/2016/11/10/colleges-cancelled-exams-for-students-tr
    I found this one: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/commentary-the-unbearable-smugness-of-the-press-presidential-election-2016/

Racist are on both sides of this issue. Is this indicative of all the supporters of Hillary from the coastal cities? I think not and would hope not. https://vid.me/PQBm

Trump like Bernie tapped into the anti-establishment dislike for big city dominated politics that have overun washington for the last 30 years. So glad that the Bushes, Clintons and now Obamas have been marginalized. Both sides need to move on.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 82 of 145
    icoco3 said:
    Where did that picture come from…what a face!!

He seems to be channeling Trump. Ironic.

edited November 2016 icoco3apple ][potatoleeksoupgtr
  • Reply 83 of 145
    kent909 said:
    It is not Trump who scares me. Mitch Mcconnell will keep him in line. It is the people who voted for Trump that worry me. A co-worker was in Target yesterday and watched as a man walked up to a black woman and got in her face and said "I bet you're  scared now".  Unleash the hounds. Anyone who is defending any of Trumps short comings or suggesting people just need to suck it up need to be aware the is the type of situation where at some point anyone is fair game for crazy people.
    Are you serious? Turn on the TV and see all the entitlement progressive liberals rioting in the streets because Trump won. Those are the people you should be scared about. You didn't see conservatives rioting in the street when Obama won both times. 
    gatorguytallest skilicoco3potatoleeksoup
  • Reply 84 of 145
    Are you serious? Turn on the TV and see all the entitlement progressive liberals rioting in the streets because Trump won. Those are the people you should be scared about. You didn't see conservatives rioting in the street when Obama won both times. 
    The best part is they’re destroying their own cities–which voted more for her. Just like BLM!
    edited November 2016 apple ][SpamSandwichgtr
  • Reply 85 of 145
    Dear Tim,

I believe that part of the Trump plans was to reduce taxes to 10% on money corporations profits being kept off shore, which is line with what you have been asking for as far back to a time before Steve passed.  
    So what will Apple do with all that money, may I suggest partnering with FOXCON to start making iPhones in North America. Sure some profit will still leave the country to Foxcon, but the labour wages families pockets and then that money goes into the local econony. Think of the Logo on the back Designed in California Made in the USA......
    tallest skil
  • Reply 86 of 145
    get over it and move on...
    in democracy one side always wins.... dont be sore losers ..
    (or does it always have to be the side you favor or you'll create  chaos )
    apple ][
  • Reply 87 of 145

Maybe time for a little levity -- the first 20 seconds:

In all seriousness, Obama was relatively inexperienced when he assumed office as is Trump -- and many before them: Truman, Eisenhower, etc.  

The magnitude of the responsibilities facing the US President tends to grow the occupant to meet the tasks at hand.

We don't always get what we want -- sometimes we get what we deserve.

But we do owe the President the opportunity to succeed.

The Republic will survive!

ration al
  • Reply 88 of 145
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Let me take a wild guess that had Hillary Clinton won Tim Cook wouldn't have wrote this letter. I didn't vote for Donald Trump but the country has survived much worse than him. On the other hand if California ever decided to secede I'm not sure the rest of the country would really care. California really is nothing like the rest of the country. If Democrats are to take power again it's not going to come from San Francisco.
    I would love California to secede. Then their transplants would stop infecting the rest of the country with their horrific progressive politics and we could laugh as Governor Moonbeam collapsed the little country on itself. 
    It is richer states like New York (at least the city) and states like California which support the flyover states of America. Most of Trump supporters are poor, on or below poverty level and have educations at or below high school level. They apparently are unskilled labor since they are mostly unemployed outside of minimum wage service jobs. They are not traveled or exposed to ideas, people and places outside of a 50 mile radius. They are fearful, think guns will protect them from some unseen invading army so they stock up on them instead of putting that money towards their child's education. They are not good at seeing beyond their horizons, as when the companies they worked for started cutting workers job it never dawned on them that that employer was closing soon and it was time to get training in another field. They are apparently too proud to take advantage of taxpayer funded government training programs, or just too lazy. They blame illegal Mexicans for all the problems they brought upon themselves because looking in a mirror and seeing what they made of their lives amounts to nothing. The ones that are too unhealthy to join the armed forces go on public assistance and think nothing of it like they ever contributed anything to the tax base in their lives. They denies statistics which prove that more caucasian  people are on welfare in this country than any other group. It also never dawned on them that the world is an ever changing place, technology changes not just how you shop and communicate with other but will put an end to out dated industries. As a teenager I recognized that my once industrial home town was a dead end and I decided I was leaving by the time I turned 18 to get an eduction (whiich I paid for myself).  Trump supporter need only blame themselves for being to short-sighted and believing time stands still, in reality there is no going back. The Trump supporters posting here should know this as well unless you are all still using Bondi blue iMacs. 
    edited November 2016 baconstangration al
  • Reply 89 of 145
    spice-boy said:
    Most of Trump supporters are poor, on or below poverty level and have educations at or below high school level. ....
    Wow, and you're calling the Trump supporters myopic.  Something about pots, kettles and blackness.
    tallest skilgatorguyapple ][
  • Reply 90 of 145
    spice-boy said:
    think guns will protect them from some unseen invading army
    Your post is 100% bullshit, but I’m quoting this part because you don’t even know what guns are.
    apple ][
  • Reply 91 of 145
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,419member
    Let me take a wild guess that had Hillary Clinton won Tim Cook wouldn't have wrote this letter. I didn't vote for Donald Trump but the country has survived much worse than him. On the other hand if California ever decided to secede I'm not sure the rest of the country would really care. California really is nothing like the rest of the country. If Democrats are to take power again it's not going to come from San Francisco.
    There will be no Calexit just like there will be no Texit. 

Secession has ALWAYS come up every damn election. 
    vesalius
  • Reply 92 of 145
    spice-boy said:
    I would love California to secede. Then their transplants would stop infecting the rest of the country with their horrific progressive politics and we could laugh as Governor Moonbeam collapsed the little country on itself. 
    It is richer states like New York (at least the city) and states like California which support the flyover states of America.
    The problem with that thinking is that those states you demean as "flyover country" have budget shortfalls due to all the massive programs forced on them by Big Government.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 93 of 145
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    kent909 saaid:
    ...Soon all those lilly poor white trash people will begin to realize that Trump is not going to do a damn thing to make there situation better. Then there are going to be really pissed off and, look out then. 
    I certainly would not use those derogatory words but the upper class educated people of all ethnicities may have been duped by the liberal media polls and through a combination being distracted, lazy and believing Trump had no chance decided not to even vote. Now they have to live with the results of their complacency.

Next time get out and vote or STFU.
    edited November 2016 gtr
  • Reply 94 of 145
    kent909 said:
    gatorguy said:
    kent909 said:
    It is not Trump who scares me. Mitch Mcconnell will keep him in line. It is the people who voted for Trump that worry me. A co-worker was in Target yesterday and watched as a man walked up to a black woman and got in her face and said "I bet you're  scared now".  
    Doesn't sound very likely. The story sounds like it was made-up by someone who didn't vote Trump and wants to invent stories to make it more difficult to accept him as our President. 
    So now it begins. You don't believe that it really happened. Because if it really did then you have to begin to be concerned about what you have set in motion by voting for Trump. Soon all those lilly poor white trash people will begin to realize that Trump is not going to do a damn thing to make there situation better. Then there are going to be really pissed off and, look out then. 
    http://www.infowars.com/shock-video-black-mob-viciously-beats-white-trump-voter/
    tallest skil
  • Reply 95 of 145
    misa said:
    He probably wouldn't have written such a letter because Hillary didn't target Apple during the campaign.

But since Trump has won, that means Silicon valley is rightfully scared because they are not producers of just hardware that can be relocated at the whim of a politician. There is a lot of software developers that Apple will never get enough H1B's to get into the US now, and if a Republican-led government starts tearing up trade agreements left and right that is going to push the price of their hardware up beyond the reach of consumers, and they know it. Likewise all the competition will ALSO have to raise their prices beyond the point of affordability. Say good bye to cheap computers, period.

Lest ye forget, a $2000 computer pre-NAFTA was not top of the line, not at all. And in todays dollars that would be over $4300 for what we currently pay about $200 for. So that threat is very real, and very dangerous.

That said, much of what Trump has run his campaign on, is impossible and will not survive constitutional challenges. He can not unilaterally tear up trade agreements, the Republicans will not have any of that since it benefits their donors the most.  The TPP might die but that comes at the US's expense, as the US would have been the biggest beneficiary to it. NAFTA is unlikely to die or be gutted because that would force all the Canadian and Mexican outsourcing to come back to the US, and I hate to break it to you all, but nobody wants to buy a Ford or GM vehicle that costs more than a Hyundai (Korean) or Toyota (Japanese) that is also assembled in the US. If the rust belt thinks that this is going to bring jobs back, sorry, no, that's not going to happen. If anything we will see a rise in Uber-like services and a huge downtick in car ownership.
    When it comes to business, am I supposed to take an anonymous forum member's word for it, or Trump's, who is a billionaire because he....knows business?  If there's something that Trump the businessman knows best, it's how to negotiate deals.  Indeed, that's one of the core reasons he was compelled to run for president to begin with.  I look forward to seeing what he does in regard to many of these trade deals that have cost America millions of jobs over the past two decades.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 96 of 145
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,315member
    paxman said:
    KD said:
    Trump didn't steal this election from Hillary, he won by a FAIR and FREE election.
    He got elected from Americans people.
    In July 2016, President Obama said "ANYTHING POSSIBLE"!
    Get over it people.
    HATERS ALWAYS HATERS!
    And yet some jackass recently claimed that the election was rigged. Or was that 'tremendously rigged'? I forget.

I understand that Trump was a protest vote, and I completely get it. But it would be hard to find a less qualified leader of a nation, and as such the prospects are unsettling to say the least. The guy is charismatic but also unhinged. 
    He may have also said something like 'If i don't win there is something seriously wrong'
    What definitely didn't point out was that it is rigged in his favour.
    Just like every other voting system is rigged towards the conservative establishment that Trump represents.
  • Reply 97 of 145
    toddzrx said:
    If there's something that Trump the businessman knows best, it's how to negotiate deals.
    If people had just READ The Art of the Deal, they would have known exactly how he won AND exactly how he’s going to improve the US’ international position.
    Indeed, that's one of the core reasons he was compelled to run for president to begin with.

apple ][gtr
  • Reply 98 of 145
    spice-boy said:

It is richer states like New York (at least the city) and states like California which support the flyover states of America. Most of Trump supporters are poor, on or below poverty level and have educations at or below high school level. They apparently are unskilled labor since they are mostly unemployed outside of minimum wage service jobs. They are not traveled or exposed to ideas, people and places outside of a 50 mile radius. They are fearful, think guns will protect them from some unseen invading army so they stock up on them instead of putting that money towards their child's education. They are not good at seeing beyond their horizons, as when the companies they worked for started cutting workers job it never dawned on them that that employer was closing soon and it was time to get training in another field. They are apparently too proud to take advantage of taxpayer funded government training programs, or just too lazy. They blame illegal Mexicans for all the problems they brought upon themselves because looking in a mirror and seeing what they made of their lives amounts to nothing. The ones that are too unhealthy to join the armed forces go on public assistance and think nothing of it like they ever contributed anything to the tax base in their lives. They denies statistics which prove that more caucasian  people are on welfare in this country than any other group. It also never dawned on them that the world is an ever changing place, technology changes not just how you shop and communicate with other but will put an end to out dated industries. As a teenager I recognized that my once industrial home town was a dead end and I decided I was leaving by the time I turned 18 to get an eduction (whiich I paid for myself).  Trump supporter need only blame themselves for being to short-sighted and believing time stands still, in reality there is no going back. The Trump supporters posting here should know this as well unless you are all still using Bondi blue iMacs. 
    I literally stopped reading at "Most of Trump supporters are poor".  Stop spewing this garbage.  Go get better sources for the news you read or watch.  You are simply parroting the same libtard sound bites that the media has been spewing for the last year.  Building arguments on crappy information only builds a crappy argument.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 99 of 145
    mattinoz said:
    He may have also said something like 'If i don't win there is something seriously wrong'
    What definitely didn't point out was that it is rigged in his favour.
    Just like every other voting system is rigged towards the conservative establishment that Trump represents.
    That's why Obama won in '08, and Clinton in '92?

Seriously, what planet are you on?
    tallest skilration al
  • Reply 100 of 145
    volcan said:
    kent909 saaid:
    ...Soon all those lilly poor white trash people will begin to realize that Trump is not going to do a damn thing to make there situation better. Then there are going to be really pissed off and, look out then. 
    I certainly would not use those derogatory words but the upper class educated people of all ethnicities may have been duped by the liberal media polls and through a combination being distracted, lazy and believing Trump had no chance decided not to even vote. Now they have to live with the results of their complacency.
    Trump winning had nothing to do with liberals not going out and voting for Hilary. I find it really hilarious how the mainstream media is shocked by Trump's victory. If they would actually follow his speeches and listen to his plans instead of attacking him all the time, they would know he resonates with millions of voters the liberals didn't pay attention too. Trump spent a lot of time in the rust belt campaigning to help those millions who've lost jobs. While Trump was campaigning in all these hard hit areas of the country, Hilary was parading around the United States with leftist Hollywood celebrities. That didn't sit will with a huge portion of the voting population and their voice was heard on Tuesday. 
    bestkeptsecret