Apple starts charging credit cards for first wave of MacBook Pro with Touch Bar orders

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    bitmodbitmod Posts: 267member
    lkrupp said:
    mtbnut said:
    Wait, after all the doom and gloom prognostications by all the pundit "power users" who have been yelling loudly through their social media channels, one would think no one would order the "terrible" new MacBook Pro with Touch Bar. 

Or are they all a bunch of dead canaries in a coal mine? 
    Tech bloggers and “power” users will never learn. They just can’t accept the fact that they are the fringe cases, the outliers, not representative of the Mac universe in general. I think a tech writer nailed it this morning. If Apple had just left off the “Pro” moniker these new machines would be fine with that arrogant crowd.
    Some VISA's were processed so it's the golden age of Apple?
    Wut?
    Kind of a narrow & short-sighted view. Thats the kind of thinking that sinks companies and gets exec's fired. If the bloggers and power users leave - mind share leaves and then sales leave. If Adobe stops coding CC for Apple... it would pretty much spell the end of the Mac. This would cascade into mobile. Can you not see that?
    Especially now with subscription based software - it's so easy to switch.

Apple is and has from day 1 been served well by catering to creative types and power users.
    avon b7
  • Reply 22 of 41
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    mtbnut said:
    Wait, after all the doom and gloom prognostications by all the pundit "power users" who have been yelling loudly through their social media channels, one would think no one would order the "terrible" new MacBook Pro with Touch Bar. 

They're neither "power users" nor are they those willing to test the air before the rest of us (i.e., canaries). However Apple did a spectacular job of engineering this controversy to divert the attention of smug bstrds away from a far more risky move than sticking with LPDDR3 or eliminating USB-A, HDMI, SD and GBE ports.
    I am sure some of the users in this very forum who have pre-ordered would beg to differ on whether or not they are "power users" so maybe you should let them speak for themselves. I plan on purchasing one of these soon and I definitely consider myself to be a "power user."
    dreyfus2
  • Reply 23 of 41
    I ordered within half-an-hour of the keynote and it still says the same thing it did then: Nov 18-24 to Vancouver.

Maxed Space Grey 15.
  • Reply 24 of 41
    digitoldigitol Posts: 276member
    Seriously funniest thing Iv'e seen. Even if you are a devout Mac Fanatic, like I am, this still rings too true, and is funny. Gotta have a good sense of humor and take it on the chin a little bit sometimes!   
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 25 of 41
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    mtbnut said:

They're neither "power users" nor are they those willing to test the air before the rest of us (i.e., canaries). However Apple did a spectacular job of engineering this controversy to divert the attention of smug bstrds away from a far more risky move than sticking with LPDDR3 or eliminating USB-A, HDMI, SD and GBE ports.
    You mean the touch bar?

• Reply 26 of 41
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    bitmod said:
    lkrupp said:
    mtbnut said:

Tech bloggers and “power” users will never learn. They just can’t accept the fact that they are the fringe cases, the outliers, not representative of the Mac universe in general. I think a tech writer nailed it this morning. If Apple had just left off the “Pro” moniker these new machines would be fine with that arrogant crowd.
    Wut?
    Kind of a narrow & short-sighted view. Thats the kind of thinking that sinks companies and gets exec's fired. If the bloggers and power users leave - mind share leaves and then sales leave. If Adobe stops coding CC for Apple... it would pretty much spell the end of the Mac. This would cascade into mobile. Can you not see that?

Apple is and has from day 1 been served well by catering to creative types and power users.

Well, there's a difference between a power user (who will test the system and move to something else if it doesn't meet their needs) and the wannabe power-user, whose power needs don't seem to extend beyond whining into a blogging engine.

Apparently, what we're seeing here (and we see whenever Apple releases anything) is called the Dunning-Kruger effect. (Tongue in cheek I imagine, yet it explains it so well).

And it is explained very nicely here --> The Rise of the Incompetent Experts.

I'm waiting to here from a real power users to run proper tests and then we'll see.

This is a good start --> https://www.zdziarski.com/blog/?p=6355

but we need to hear from a couple more. My guess (and it is a guess) that Apple has tried to work round the limitations imposed by Intel, and the limitations they have imposed on themselves by using in-house tech and high speed SSDs. What's important here is real world results, not the untested ramblings of tech bloggers and forum dwellers.

edited November 2016
  • Reply 27 of 41
    thedbathedba Posts: 763member
    bitmod said:
    lkrupp said:
    mtbnut said:

Wut?

In case you missed it, it's already the golden age of Apple. 
    The most profitable company on the world.
    Unless you want to believe the "church of market share" choir. And even if you do, ask yourself the following question.
    Since Apple's "market share" is so low, why do all these tech publications spend so much digital ink on the company? You'd think by now, since Windows already won and Android too, that they'd ignore Apple into insignificance. 

Now let's go back to the "creatives" and how Apple has let them down.  I call BS on that. Most likely what people will do is adapt. 
    You need ethernet? There are solutions to that. Dongle or a dock.
    You need HDMI? There are solutions to that. Dongle or a dock.
    You need SD card? There are solutions to that. Dongle or a dock.
    You need external drive? There are solutions to that. Dongle or a dock.
    You need display port?  There are solutions to that. Dongle or a dock.

See a pattern? If someone absolutely needs all that, they get a dock that not only has all of it but also powers your MBP. One wire is the most elegant solution in the market today. In fact OWC already came out with a multipurpose dock, more will come.
    Even better, we already have a couple of monitors from LG that power your MBP but also act as docks. More will come. 

People will adapt. Like they did when Apple took away the floppy, the CD/DVD drive or any number of ports.
  • Reply 28 of 41
    Just saw the charge yesterday for my 15" with upgrade to 512GB, but my wife's 13" Touch Bar model (no modifications) has not yet been charged... Ordered minutes after the keynote.
  • Reply 29 of 41
    thedba said:

In many cases it may even be easier and more elegant than dongle or dock. Most of my peripherals connect with detachable cables. I've simply ordered replacement cables that have a USB-C connector on the computer end instead of USB-A. The ones for my external drives were $5.99 each.
    polymnia
  • Reply 30 of 41
    AppleBumAppleBum Posts: 37unconfirmed, member
    A pre-authorization showed up on my card this morning for both the MBP and AppleCare. I thought it was strange that they were two different transactions.
  • Reply 31 of 41
    Card got charged this morning at 4:35am PT for maxed out 15" and AppleCare+ separately. Order placed Oct 27th at 12:15pm. Status is still Processing Items.
  • Reply 32 of 41
    thedbathedba Posts: 763member
    thedba said:

In many cases it may even be easier and more elegant than dongle or dock. Most of my peripherals connect with detachable cables. I've simply ordered replacement cables that have a USB-C connector on the computer end instead of USB-A. The ones for my external drives were $5.99 each.
    I totally agree with you. If all you need is an external drive then new USB-C to whatever connector, will appear on the market soon enough. Many will show up on e-bay and Amazon for very affordable prices. 
    If you need (like in my case) ethernet and display port and 2 x USB-A external disks and USB-A to lightning and headphone jack, then a dock is a very good solution and TB3 over USB-C makes it even more elegant than on my 2015 MBP, which has mag-safe and TB2.  For the 2016 MBP all I will need is one cable to connect and I got everything.
    Now for the other 0.001% there will be extra USB-C ports.  
  • Reply 33 of 41
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,665member
    digitol said:
    Seriously funniest thing Iv'e seen. Even if you are a devout Mac Fanatic, like I am, this still rings too true, and is funny. Gotta have a good sense of humor and take it on the chin a little bit sometimes!   
    Yep. That video was very well done. Could be a little too much for some diehards but it is funny as hell.
  • Reply 34 of 41
    AppleBumAppleBum Posts: 37unconfirmed, member
    Card got charged this morning at 4:35am PT for maxed out 15" and AppleCare+ separately. Order placed Oct 27th at 12:15pm. Status is still Processing Items.

Are you checking your order status every 10 minutes too? :)

Mine still says "Processing Items". It's the middle of the night in China, so we may not see the status update for several hours.

JustaTecho
  • Reply 35 of 41
    So has anyone got a shipment notification or "preparing for shipment" change yet? I ordered my 2.6 w/ 1TB BTO as soon as my page refreshed after the keynote. Still no charge on my card, regardless of how many times I've checked. I've never been more disappointment to NOT see a bunch of money fly away. 
  • Reply 36 of 41
    g4waldo said:
    So has anyone got a shipment notification or "preparing for shipment" change yet? I ordered my 2.6 w/ 1TB BTO as soon as my page refreshed after the keynote. Still no charge on my card, regardless of how many times I've checked. I've never been more disappointment to NOT see a bunch of money fly away. 
    It took me almost an hour to get organized after the keynote so my order was later than yours. So far no change to the status (Nov 18-25) and no charge on my card. 15" with all the upgrades maxed.

I've already returned my "interim" machine so now I have NOTHING (except this iPhone). I share your desire for Apple to hurry up and take my money!
  • Reply 37 of 41
    Monty KMonty K Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    Any new updates?
  • Reply 38 of 41
    Can say still processing, no movement since it was ordered.  Not seeing them around yet, not thinking they have shipped the first unit yet or we would have seen unboxing.
  • Reply 39 of 41
    Monty KMonty K Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    It say preparing for shipment now!
    ryanrutzen
  • Reply 40 of 41
    My order is now Preparing for Shipment!!!! YAY!!! Finally! Been refreshing for days.