Apple's 'iBooks StoryTime' tvOS app lets kids read along to their favorite books

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited November 2016
Apple on Thursday released iBooks StoryTime, a new first-party tvOS app that brings handpicked children's books to the big screen with Read-Aloud narration, fun graphics and animations, and Siri Remote compatibility.

Quietly introduced on the tvOS App Store, iBooks StoryTime acts as a hub for iBooks with Read-Aloud functionality, a feature designed to help children build reading comprehension skills through interactive audio and visual cues. Perhaps best described as karaoke for children's books, Read-Aloud titles play customized narration audio synced to a moving on-screen text prompter.

Combined with fourth-generation Apple TV hardware, the app offers a unique interactive reading experience for parents and their kids, and presents a constructive alternative to gaming apps that dominate the platform.

When Read-Aloud narration is turned on, book pages flip automatically as readers progress through a title. With the feature turned off, parents and kids can flip through the book at their own pace using Siri Remote.

For now, iBooks StoryTime is limited to a batch of kid's titles curated by Apple's App Store editors, each of which can be purchased directly from the onscreen app interface. In addition to in-app content, users can buy additional Read-Aloud titles on iBooks from iPhone, iPad and Mac. If an Apple TV is connected to a family iCloud account, compatible content purchased by any member will automatically appear in the iBooks StoryTime library.

iBooks StoryTime is available now as a free download from the tvOS App Store. Apple is giving away a free Read-Aloud title, "Dora's Big Buddy Race Read-Along Storybook," to let users test out the new product.
GrannyNannych

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    This is actually pretty cool. One more reason I should consider moving to the ATV4 from my 3 now that most issues have been resolved.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 5
    On that matter, why on Earth can’t iBooks use OS X/iOS’ built in text to speech to read me a book?
    frantisek
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Cthulhu's ChosenCthulhu's Chosen Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    On that matter, why on Earth can’t iBooks use OS X/iOS’ built in text to speech to read me a book?
    Text-to-speech works fine with iBooks on my MacBook Air with Sierra. Menu: Edit—Speech—Start Speaking. 
    watto_cobrasmiffy31
  • Reply 4 of 5
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Text-to-speech works fine with iBooks on my MacBook Air with Sierra. Menu: Edit—Speech—Start Speaking. 
    Anyone who can last 5 minutes listening to a book like that deserves some kind of Game Center achievement.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Ah, well, that’s a bit of a problem on my end.