Breastfeeding, T-Rex highlight proposed shortlist of 51 emoji set to debut in 2017

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    Storm982Storm982 Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    apple ][ said:
    Person with headscarf, lol. So, misogyny, slavery and the mistreatment of females is A-OK with these lunatics, but don't you dare have a gun emoji, that is unacceptable.

What a bunch of freaks. :#

Whoever is behind choosing and coming up with some of these emojiis are seriously demented and screwed up people.

Nuns wear head coverings as well. Are you saying that they are oppressed also? The head covering is a tool for modesty regardless of race and religion. It's for people to focus on the women herself and her other assets. It's unfortunate that the groups have mistreated women who happen to have their heads covered wether by choice or force. We all need to stop grouping people together incorrectly and prolonging the ignorance that surrounds us in so many different aspects. Educate yourself before making misinformed comments like you have. Also I like the new different emojis we keep getting. I just don't want them to be key focus on new iOS upgrades. They should be more like little easter eggs you stumble upon.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    Storm982 said:
    apple ][ said:
    Person with headscarf, lol. So, misogyny, slavery and the mistreatment of females is A-OK with these lunatics, but don't you dare have a gun emoji, that is unacceptable.

Whoever is behind choosing and coming up with some of these emojiis are seriously demented and screwed up people.

Nuns wear head coverings as well. Are you saying that they are oppressed also? The head covering is a tool for modesty regardless of race and religion. It's for people to focus on the women herself and her other assets. It's unfortunate that the groups have mistreated women who happen to have their heads covered wether by choice or force. We all need to stop grouping people together incorrectly and prolonging the ignorance that surrounds us in so many different aspects. Educate yourself before making misinformed comments like you have. Also I like the new different emojis we keep getting. I just don't want them to be key focus on new iOS upgrades. They should be more like little easter eggs you stumble upon.
    A particular headscarf, the hijab, is a symbol of support for the the Quran and treating Mohamed as an exemplar. For non-believers, many of the Quran's tones and messages are repugnant (they ought to be repugnant to Muslims!), condemnation of disbelievers is found on most pages and is one of the Quran's main themes. And there are Muslims who marry 9 yr-old, or pubescent girls because Mohamed's behaviour of doing the same gives them precedence and licence.

You speak of ignorance and a lack of education, perhaps you should attend to them yourself? The head-covering of NUNS is not associated with a movement whose book condemns non-Muslims.
    ---------------------------

Re emojis: They seem to be getting more and more frivolous.
    apple ][son3
  • Reply 23 of 28
    Remind me what problem emojis are supposed to solve?

It appears to be a systematic way to communicate less clearly.  For example, when I type "thank you" in a text, Message suggests that I replace it with a certain happy face emoji.  I can kinda, sorta see adding a happy face AFTER "thank you" but just sending a happy face instead is discarding meaning.

Fast forward a few years will we see emojis in (printed) news paper headlines?  We're all learning to write like ancient Egyptians?
    son3
  • Reply 24 of 28
    I wish the committee gave any forum at all for public comment, but it seems that they don't. I just wanted to tell them they need to alter the art for the breastfeeding emoticon. Once you know what it is, you get it, but when I first saw it, I was staring at it, and staring at it, and I just couldn't tell what I was looking at. First I thought "is that the giraffe?" (with its head down.) Then I thought, "Is that the Zombie"? (Because its head was chopped off). The Vampire? It took me a LONG, long time to finally figure out what it was - I literally had to rule out every other emoticon by hand. Clearly, they need to alter the art - either make the mother's skin a different color than the baby's head, or (far simpler and much more important), just show the mother's head as well. But what I learned from this experience is this truly seems like a closed, private system: Anyone can suggest an emoticon, but then a special group of people decides whether to accept it and what it looks like: then that's it - no one else can say anything about it. And this is completely supported by the Unicode standardization organization.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 25 of 28
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    Where's the FUCK TRUMP emoji ?
    son3
  • Reply 26 of 28
    apple ][ said:

My grandmother has worn a headscarf for forty-plus years and we're Christian. Do you have an issue with her?
    Soli
  • Reply 27 of 28
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Remind me what problem emojis are supposed to solve?

It appears to be a systematic way to communicate less clearly.  For example, when I type "thank you" in a text, Message suggests that I replace it with a certain happy face emoji.  I can kinda, sorta see adding a happy face AFTER "thank you" but just sending a happy face instead is discarding meaning.

Fast forward a few years will we see emojis in (printed) news paper headlines?  We're all learning to write like ancient Egyptians?
    The more of them there are covering mundane items, the harder it is to find useful ones. There's a Boar emoji for some reason, is that ever coming up in conversation? They rarely cover the things people talk about in conversation, which is why they get adapted to mean something other than what was intended. Someone might use Boar to mean bore but there's not a yawn emoji.

Emoji was probably originally meant to get round the character limit of SMS. You couldn't send pictures easily by text as they are KBs in size. Emoji are 4-byte characters and a picture of something can use fewer characters than the text describing it. These days with faster mobile networks it would make more sense to just have an image standard that could be sent efficiently in a message. This way people can send exactly the message they want and the recipient sees the same thing they send, unlike emoji. Emoji renders the icon as shown on the viewing platform and might differ from the sending platform.

This would allow emoji to adapt to popular culture and there can be a dynamic caching system used by network operators to save bandwidth. When there are events like elections with slogans or if a celebrity dies, there would be new emoji just for those events like hashtags. Having them defined by a committee ( http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-emoji-q-and-a-20160125-htmlstory.html ) makes them too sterile. The animated ones that are bundled with some chat apps are much more useful and interesting in conversation than the emoji set.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 28 of 28
    dougd said:
    Where's the FUCK TRUMP emoji ?
    Right here.

apple ][