1Password for Mac gets support for Touch Bar & Touch ID on new MacBook Pros

Posted:
in Mac Software
AgileBits has updated its flagship password management app for the Mac, 1Password, with support for the Touch ID and Touch Bar features on 2016 MacBook Pros.

Touch ID must be enabled from 1Password's Security Preferences menu, but will then let people unlock the app with a quick fingerprint scan. Touch Bar support should make it easier to run searches, add new items, and switch between vaults as well as lock them down.

The first MacBook Pro shipments have yet to arrive, but 1Password is part of the first wave of Mac apps with Touch Bar compatibility to be approved by Apple.

1Password has also been upgraded with a new first-run experience, designed to be simpler whether people are signing into an existing account or opening a new one. It should also be easier to search through vaults using third-party apps, one of the first apps updated for this being Alfred.

1Password for the Mac costs $64.99, and requires OS X 10.10 or better.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I wish Apple would release a USB (and/or bluetooth) keyboard with TouchID. I'm thinking they will as I'm willing to bet the next generation iMac will have TouchID support. Apple's keyboards need to be revised anyways. I'm hoping for black keys. 
    theunfetteredmindwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 16
    macxpress said:
    I wish Apple would release a USB (and/or bluetooth) keyboard with TouchID. I'm thinking they will as I'm willing to bet the next generation iMac will have TouchID support. Apple's keyboards need to be revised anyways. I'm hoping for black keys. 
    This is my hope too, as my primary machine now is a late 2009 iMac (along with a late 2013 13" Retina MBP) and I'd love to have Touch ID unlocking for 1Password.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 16
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    macxpress said:
    This is my hope too, as my primary machine now is a late 2009 iMac (along with a late 2013 13" Retina MBP) and I'd love to have Touch ID unlocking for 1Password.
    As well as logging into your user account and ApplePay support. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 16
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    macxpress said:
    I think that they might eventually, but I don't think that it's going to be anytime soon. I would of course love to be proven wrong by Apple.

Maybe in a year from now, if we're lucky.

I've been saying in other threads that the Touch Bar seems like an awesome addition to have and use on OS X devices, and I'd buy a Touch Bar Apple Keyboard in a nanosecond if they released one, but I think that it's more like Apple to keep it as a MacBook Pro exclusive, at least for the time being.

Not everybody needs a new MacBook Pro or has plans to buy one in the near future, but tons of people have other OS X devices that they use, and a Touch Bar Apple Keyboard would be an extremely popular item, if they decide to make one.

Again, please prove me wrong Apple, and release one soon. They would sell a gazillion of them.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 16
    macxpress said:
    I'm hoping for black keys. 
    Haven't you heard, orange is the new black? B)

I'd love to see Apple release a brand new limited edition orange key Touch Bar keyboard! Woah! I'd be all over that one!  :#

That is of course never going to happen, unfortunately, so I agree with you, and I would be content with seeing black keys on the next Apple Keyboard.

Enough with the white already! I'm tired of it.

Time for the complete opposite next time, bring back the black keys.

Some of my older Mac keyboards have dark and black keys, and I wouldn't mind my next Apple keyboard having black keys again.
    macxpress
  • Reply 6 of 16
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    macxpress said:
    I hope so, but there are some complications that aren't as present in a notebook. However, knowing that the T1's OS is based on watchOS (i.e.: OS X) and we already have Apple Pay and remote unlock for the Mac if you have an Apple Watch, I think it's safe to say that the security issues regarding a wireless keyboard with Touch ID and Apple Pay is tackled.

The keyboard will likely need to be heavier, thicker, and cost considerably more to power the display and T1 chip running in a keyboard. The only other issue would be latinency of having a wireless display that you would want to drag and drop things into or use immediately upon switching apps. Can BT do that? I think that might take the 802.11 protocol, which also uses more power than the current BT keyboard and therefore would need a larger battery, which would increase the weight, size, and cost.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Soli said:
    macxpress said:
    I hope so, but there are some complications that aren't as present in a notebook. However, knowing that the T1's OS is based on watchOS (i.e.: OS X) and we already have Apple Pay and remote unlock for the Mac if you have an Apple Watch, I think it's safe to say that the security issues regarding a wireless keyboard with Touch ID and Apple Pay is tackled.

The keyboard will likely need to be heavier, thicker, and cost considerably more to power the display and T1 chip running in a keyboard. The only other issue would be latinency of having a wireless display that you would want to drag and drop things into or use immediately upon switching apps. Can BT do that? I think that might take the 802.11 protocol, which also uses more power than the current BT keyboard and therefore would need a larger battery, which would increase the weight, size, and cost.
    I'm ok with that.

Not everything needs to be super thin. I'm glad that iPhones and iPads are super thin, but a keyboard that is going to sit on my desk? Not a problem at all. 

Make it heavier if you need to. Put a larger battery in it, if needed. I'm ok with that.

And I'm also ok if it's going to cost more than the previous version, that's to be expected. I imagine that it would cost quite a bit more than the current keyboard, maybe triple the price.

I can't stand latency at all. 

I'd rather have a wired version with near zero latency instead of a wireless version, if latency is a problem. It's going to be on my desk, so I don't care about a wire at all. I want the best performance and the lowest latency.

• Reply 8 of 16
    Magnus919Magnus919 Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    Be aware, law enforcement can compel you to provide your fingerprint to unlock devices, etc. in areas where they would not be able to compel you to divulge passwords or otherwise unlock devices. I know the fingerprint unlocking is super convenient, but if you're the kind of person that cares about such things, it should not be the only factor that can unlock your password vault (i.e. require the passphrase, too).
    perkedel
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Soli said:
    macxpress said:

I thnk we'll see it when Apple figures out how to wirelessly power the keyboard and mouse from the Mac. 
  • Reply 10 of 16
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    This is one of the things I was looking forward to with my new MacBook Pro. I didn't even think of TouchBar support, but it makes sense.

Now, if only the bloody thing would ship...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Surely this app was thoroughly tested on a real 2016 MacBook Pro (even before it starts shipping) because its users are asked to entrust it to secure data about themselves, their families and in many cases, their employees, shareholders, customers and vendors. /not
  • Reply 12 of 16
    thedbathedba Posts: 763member
    Surely this app was thoroughly tested on a real 2016 MacBook Pro (even before it starts shipping) because its users are asked to entrust it to secure data about themselves, their families and in many cases, their employees, shareholders, customers and vendors. /not
    Not much of a difference between trusting 1Password on an iPhone / iPad with touch ID, that many users already enjoy . 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 16
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    This seems cool, but does it only work for the actual 1Password app?  Would be much more useful if it worked for the 1Password extension in Safari.  
  • Reply 14 of 16
    $65???

por que?
  • Reply 15 of 16
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    $65???

por que?
    Because that's a pittance to have all your accounts protected with complex and unique passocdes, whilst having the convenience of not having to remember them, their security audit, and countless other features. They have a free 30-day trial, and you also do month-to-month purchasing if you're not convinced. I think I paid around $25 for the Mac client 7(?) years ago and haven't ever been charged again. That said, I'd gladly have paid $65 for what it's given me in return.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 16
    There must be a huge investment on Apple's part in adding touch bar functionality to macOS and all the applications that now support it. Not to mention the work developers like Agile Bits are now doing.

If it's only 2 out of 3 of the late 2016 MacBook Pros that support it ... will Apple have much of a Touch Bar user base? If they release an Apple Keyboard with Touch Bar support, it can be taken up a lot more widely, generating more interest.