iPad refresh rumored for March, featuring both iPad Pro models plus 10.9-inch size

Posted:
in iPad
According to supply chain rumors, Apple is planning to update the 9.7- and 12.9-inch iPad Pro line, in conjunction with releasing a bezel-less 10.9-inch iPad in a March release event.

Barclays analysts, also responsible for information repeating previous "iPhone 8" rumors on Friday, claim that the new 10.9-inch iPad will feature the same enclosure size as the 9.7-inch iPad pro, but omitting the bezel on the side of the case. This is now the third size reported to be under development in the 10-inch to 11-inch range for a future iPad.

Also reiterating previous rumors, Barclays claims that the 9.7-inch iPad Pro will not be a premium model, despite it's "pro" nomenclature, and be "low-cost" sold aside the 7.9-inch iPad mini. If the reports are accurate, the iPad mini will not see improvements in early 2017, despite some earlier rumors from October suggesting otherwise.

As with Friday's "iPhone 8" rumors, there is really nothing new, or any actual confirmation of previous rumors. The analyst report appears to be little more than repetition of previous rumors, or identical rumors collected from the same source as previous reports.

Earlier rumors peg the 12.9-inch iPad Pro refresh to get a full True Tone display like the 9.7-inch iPad Pro, with similar ambient light sensing equipment as the smaller model.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    I'd love a bezel-free iPad and iPhone, but I really hope they've perfect the palm/finger rejection technology. Not sure what the SE is supposed to have, but when typing in landscape mode, other parts of my hand routinely cause problems. Is pal, rejection software or hardware based, or both?
    cali
  • Reply 2 of 34
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Tech amazes you what it can do. Looks like bezel-less is the new theme for 2017 phones and tablets.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 3 of 34
    Definitely some low prices on the 12-inch now, as who would not wait for the better screen? Not sure why you would have a 10.9 and a 9.7 fitting within the same physical form factor. If they can make it without the bezel **and it's better**, I would expect Apple to do that for all models.
    1983netmage
  • Reply 4 of 34
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Sounds good to me.

I can wait until March to buy an iPad Pro. 

The only thing that seems strange is if they make a bezelless 10.9 model, then why don't they make a bezelless 12.9 model?

That doesn't make much sense, and I'll have to see what the deal is with the 10.9 model, if and when such an iPad does get released.

• Reply 5 of 34
    qwweraqwwera Posts: 281member
    I would love to get a 12.9 pro because I love to draw, but it seems to me like specialized apps and OS optimization is moving quite slow. So I'm still on a wait and see mode for now.
    schlack
  • Reply 6 of 34
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Definitely some low prices on the 12-inch now, as who would not wait for the better screen? Not sure why you would have a 10.9 and a 9.7 fitting within the same physical form factor. If they can make it without the bezel **and it's better**, I would expect Apple to do that for all models.
    Conceivably, the 9.7" could be the entry-level. The screens would be less expensive and using the same chassis would help the scale.
    schlack
  • Reply 7 of 34
    mike1 said:
    Conceivably, the 9.7" could be the entry-level. The screens would be less expensive and using the same chassis would help the scale.
    It could easily be they are confusing the 9.7 Pro of today with an updated 9.7 Air.. Then the 10.9 /12.9 are probably the Pro models with pen support.

Thing is, they are going by 'supply chain' info.. and while you get an idea on parts, you get NO accurate data on NAMES of products until true manufacturing ramps up on retail boxes, etc. 
    edited November 2016 schlackcanukstorm
  • Reply 8 of 34
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,258member
    mac_128 said:
    I'd love a bezel-free iPad and iPhone, but I really hope they've perfect the palm/finger rejection technology. Not sure what the SE is supposed to have, but when typing in landscape mode, other parts of my hand routinely cause problems. Is pal, rejection software or hardware based, or both?
    I gotta believe they've solved this problem. It would really be a stunning failure if they haven't. 
    netmage
  • Reply 9 of 34
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,258member
    My iPad Air is really starting to feel dated, so I'd love to upgrade. These sound promising, but my first order of business in 2017 will be to replace my ancient 2009 Mac Pro. 
  • Reply 10 of 34
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    If true, good bye 9.7" Air. Look like they will discontinue it. 7.9" and 10.9" Air vs 9.7" and 12.9" Pro!
  • Reply 11 of 34
    fallenjt said:
    If true, good bye 9.7" Air. Look like they will discontinue it. 7.9" and 10.9" Air vs 9.7" and 12.9" Pro!
    Don't you mean 7.9" / 9.7" Air & 10.9" Pro / 12.9" Pro?
  • Reply 12 of 34
    Welp still getting the 9.7 pro 128gb at Sams in 6 hrs for $513.00. 

Good enough I am sure coming from ipad 2. 
    caliireland
  • Reply 13 of 34
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    tobiwan said:
    Welp still getting the 9.7 pro 128gb at Sams in 6 hrs for $513.00. 

Good enough I am sure coming from ipad 2. 
    iPad 2 was my first iPad, back in 2011 I think.

It looks like the iPad 2 has served you well for many, many years.

And yep, I'm pretty sure that you will notice a slight difference moving to a 9.7 Pro from an iPad 2. :#
    pscooter63ireland1983watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 34
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    apple ][ said:
    Sounds good to me.

I can wait until March to buy an iPad Pro. 

The only thing that seems strange is if they make a bezelless 10.9 model, then why don't they make a bezelless 12.9 model?

That doesn't make much sense, and I'll have to see what the deal is with the 10.9 model, if and when such an iPad does get released.

It's possible that the screen to do that would be too difficult to make, or be too expensive. But I don't really care. I want to upgrade to the DCI-P3 screen. That, and a faster SoC, would be enough for me
  • Reply 15 of 34

qwwera said:
    I would love to get a 12.9 pro because I love to draw, but it seems to me like specialized apps and OS optimization is moving quite slow. So I'm still on a wait and see mode for now.
    There are great apps for that, and have been for years now. 3D or 2D.

123D Sculpt
    Paper
    Procreate
    Sketchbook
    Tracing Paper

these are a few I use for different purposes. There a a lot more for more specialized needs I also use. These are all highly regarded professional level apps. I also have CAD apps and drawing apps for design work as well as the Pantone app for getting proper 4 color press color, etc.

no one can say that the iPad lacks a significant number of high level apps for anything regarding fine art drawing, or technical use. Get Apple's Pencil, and you'll be amazed at what you can do if you have some talent.
    cali
  • Reply 16 of 34

blastdoor said:
    My iPad Air is really starting to feel dated, so I'd love to upgrade. These sound promising, but my first order of business in 2017 will be to replace my ancient 2009 Mac Pro. 
    Ah yes, my 2009 Mac Pro. Sigh. Will they even do this? I sure hope so.
    tallest skilentropysireland
  • Reply 17 of 34
    Since next year will be the start of ATSC version 3.0 broadcast transmissions.  The ATSC 3.0 version also covers reception by mobile devices.  I wonder if the new iPad Pros will have the new ATSC 3.0 receiver chips.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    I am more than ready to update my ipad 4, but really, missing Christmas? We face yet another two quarters of doom and gloom of declining ipad sales before a new ipad.  Seems someone might have been too busy involving themselves in politics to approve urgent R&D projects.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    melgross said:

qwwera said:
    There are great apps for that, and have been for years now. 3D or 2D.

123D Sculpt
    Paper
    Procreate
    Sketchbook
    Tracing Paper

these are a few I use for different purposes. There a a lot more for more specialized needs I also use. These are all highly regarded professional level apps. I also have CAD apps and drawing apps for design work as well as the Pantone app for getting proper 4 color press color, etc.

no one can say that the iPad lacks a significant number of high level apps for anything regarding fine art drawing, or technical use. Get Apple's Pencil, and you'll be amazed at what you can do if you have some talent.
    I think Apple needs to invest in some serious money into a brace of apps that do good photo editing (like pixelmator) drawing art apps, and office.  Make them seamless with photoshop, office etc. Make it effortless to print and transfer large files. Then bundle them. It should just work.   Challenge the standards like photoshop and MS office.  The establishment companies haven't bothered much with the ipad so far, so Apple should help others take the market away from them, and incidentally make ipad sales great again. B)

And make sure as many people as possible can afford an ipad too. 
    edited November 2016 caliqwwera1983pulseimages
  • Reply 20 of 34
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    fallenjt said:
    Don't you mean 7.9" / 9.7" Air & 10.9" Pro / 12.9" Pro?
    Nope. I really meant 7.9" Mini/10.9" Air, 9.7", 12.9" Pro. 9.7" Pro was just released this year; no way they will discontinue it, but Air!