Spotify promises fix for Mac glitch causing excessive writes on hard disks & SSDs

Posted:
in Mac Software edited November 2016
Spotify is currently rolling out a patch for a major bug, which can -- at least in some cases -- cause its desktop apps to write tens or hundreds of gigabytes to a hard disk or SSD in the space of an hour, according to an official spokesperson.

"We've seen some questions in our community around the amount of written data using the Spotify client on desktop," the person told Ars Technica. "These have been reviewed and any potential concerns have now been addressed in version 1.0.42, currently rolling out to all users."

The glitch has reportedly been in the Mac, Windows, and Linux versions of the app since at least June though, and can affect a machine even when the app is idle and not caching any music locally. Leaving the software open for over a day can generate up to 700 gigabytes of activity, Ars noted.

While the issue might not be immediately noticeable on unpatched systems, it could cause serious problems for people running Spotify on SSDs, which can only write so many times before they cease to work. The Mac Pro and all of Apple's modern MacBooks use SSDs, and the technology is an option on iMacs.

A dedicated desktop client has been one of Spotify's smaller advantages over Apple Music, which is mostly mobile-oriented and can only be reached on Mac and Windows systems through iTunes -- software burdened with several other tasks. Spotify also has mobile apps and a desktop Web interface.

Comments

• Reply 2 of 13
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    People still use Spotify? :open_mouth: 
    calijblongzmagman1979lkruppmacplusplus
  • Reply 3 of 13
    wlymwlym Posts: 102member
    A year ago I stopped using Spotify on my MBP because it was causing kernel panics. I've recently considered installing the app again but this news just reinforces the impression that they don't know what they're doing and they're not coming anywhere near my computer. If it wasn't for a free pro account (thanks to my iPhone contract), I wouldn't bother with Spotify at all.
    cali
  • Reply 4 of 13
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    We should just stop talking about them really.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 13
    macxpress said:
    People still use Spotify? open_mouth 
    Damn right 

Don't know where you are in the world but in the U.K. Spotify is the main streaming service. 

Apple Music is a laughable joke here, along with Apple Maps. 

The service is slow compared to Spotify and the UI is absolute rubbish. 

Still some work to be done by Apple on this. Trhey know and have made things better in iOS 10 but thy are still way off
    edited November 2016 hmmmichelb76
  • Reply 6 of 13
    macxpress said:
    Damn right 

Don't know where you are in the world but in the U.K. Spotify is the main streaming service. 

Still some work to be done by Apple on this. Trhey know and have made things better in iOS 10 but thy are still way off
    At least its not killing your SSD...
    snype719magman1979macpluspluswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 13
    True - Though I don't use the desktop version very often so it's negleable for me. 

Doesn't excuse the mistake. But everyone makes them in software. Apple is not unscathed in this area. 
  • Reply 8 of 13
    macxpress said:
    macxpress said:
    Damn right 

At least Spotify doesn't f**k up the cover art in my Music Library.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    macxpress said:
    Yeah, they do. Cause not everything Apple does is actually good or perfect.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    macxpress said:
    macxpress said:
    Damn right 

At least Spotify doesn't f**k up the cover art in my Music Library.
    Who gives a shit about the album art...I want to listen to the music not watch art. 
    perkedelmacplusplus
  • Reply 11 of 13
    macxpress said:
    Yeah, they do. Cause not everything Apple does is actually good or perfect.
    Nobody ever said they were perfect...
  • Reply 12 of 13
    noelosnoelos Posts: 127member
    macxpress said:
    Damn right 

Being the main service doesn't make it especially good. I could never get into their playlist generation and was annoyed by their refusal to implement AirPlay streaming for years in the Mac app. Finally Apple Music came out and solved both those problems (and apparently spared my SSD.

Oh - and I also use both Apple and Google Maps in the U.K. and much prefer the interface and turn-by-turn directions of Apple's. Had a horrendous experience with Google Maps sending me down a ridiculous series of back streets to save time and actually adding about half an hour to my journey. I'd call that a joke it it weren't so unfunny. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I'm in the UK and Apple Maps is fantastic, though I'd expect it to be. 

I was at craft show a few weeks back. Got back to the car park (actually a field) and the phone had pinned the spot on the map where I'd parked the car. Nice touch; I hadn't even asked. 
    watto_cobra