'Designed by Apple in California' book released in $200 and $300 editions [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2016
Apple on Tuesday announced the release of a new hardbound book chronicling 20 years of design, expressed through 450 photographs of past and current Apple products ranging from the original iMac to the Apple Pencil.

The book, developed over eight years, also documents materials and techniques used in assembly and construction of all the products in 400 pictures.

"The idea of genuinely trying to make something great for humanity was Steve's motivation from the beginning, and it remains both our ideal and our goal as Apple looks to the future," said Jony Ive, Apple's chief design officer. "This archive is intended to be a?gentle gathering of many of the products the team has designed over the years. We hope it brings some understanding to how and why they exist, while serving as a resource for students of all design disciplines."

The book is dedicated to the memory of Steve Jobs.

In addition to online sales, In the U.S., "Designed by Apple in California" is available at the Apple stores at SoHo, Fifth Avenue, Upper East Side, Williamsburg and World Trade Center in New York; The Grove in Los Angeles and Third Street in Santa Monica; North Michigan Avenue and Lincoln Road in Chicago; Northpark in Dallas; Union Square in San Francisco; Palo Alto and Infinite Loop in Cupertino.

Internationally, the title will be available and on display at the Regent Street and Covent Garden in London; Opera in Paris; Kurf?rstendamm in Berlin; ifc mall and Canton Road in Hong Kong; Ginza in Tokyo; and Sydney Apple stores.

Update:An Ive-narrated video discussing the reasoning behind the book, giving more examples of pictures featured in the book, and declaring the emphasis in the tome is on the designs rather than individual designers.

"Designed by Apple in California"?will be available beginning Wednesday, November 16, in small (10.20" x 12.75") for $199 and large (13" x 16.25") for $299.

An older book, called "Appledesign: The Work of the Apple Industrial Design Group" was published in 1998 and chronicled Apple's design history to that point, had an original retail price of $30, and has become a collector's item.

macxpressmr o

Comments

• Reply 1 of 112
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Well...my wallet is going to be $300 lighter come tomorrow. This is cool!
    netmagecalipatchythepiratepeterhartwatto_cobraracerhomie3
  • Reply 2 of 112
    macxpress said:
    $300....for a....book. Serious question, will some people buy literally anything Apple releases? 
    revenantRoger_Fingasbdkennedy1002blastdoorpeterhart
  • Reply 3 of 112
    Looks nice but also seems A bit self indulgent? Not sure exactly how I feel about this...
    anantksundaramRoger_Fingasdesignrmobius
  • Reply 4 of 112
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Looks nice but also seems A bit self indulgent? Not sure exactly how I feel about this...
    Trust me;  you hate it, especially if anyone who had anything to do with the Beats acquisition has touched a copy. 
    macxpresslondorcalipscooter63patchythepiratenolamacguywatto_cobraboopthesnoot
  • Reply 5 of 112
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    sweet.  will look in the library next year... (out of reach for my budget).. will compare with IDEO and Oxford design book and learn the simple taste of beauty... 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 112
    sog35 said:
    So this is what Tim Cook was wasting his time on instead of giving us new MacPro, MacMini, and iMac.

I'm getting sick and tired of Tim Cook's indulgent worship of the past. I can see this same attitude in the new headquarters. Instead of getting us a brand new redesigned iPhone7 we get a rehash of a 3 year old phone.  Instead of giving us a home assistant like Echo, we get this ridiculous self worshiping book that cost $300.

We're sick and tired of you bitching about Tim Cook everyday but that doesn't stop you from continuing on....
    londormike1Rayz2016boredumbnetmagerevenantcaliRoger_Fingaspscooter63patchythepirate
  • Reply 7 of 112

mac-daddy said:
    macxpress said:
    $300....for a....book. Serious question, will some people buy literally anything Apple releases? 
    When its something like this...yes! This will sell very quickly. They could price it at $500 and it would sell just as well. 
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 112

1st said:
    sweet.  will look in the library next year... (out of reach for my budget).. will compare with IDEO and Oxford design book and learn the simple taste of beauty... 
    People still go to Libraries? :open_mouth: 
    netmage
  • Reply 9 of 112
    mac-daddy said:
    macxpress said:
    This is a collector's book, must probably a limited edition. You will see its price on eBay after all copies are sold.  B)

“Designed by Apple in California” is available in two sizes and printed on specially milled, custom-dyed paper with gilded matte silver edges, using eight color separations and low-ghost ink. This linen-bound, hardcover volume was developed over an eight-year period. It is published by Apple. (Press release)

edited November 2016 cali
  • Reply 10 of 112
    macxpress said:

mac-daddy said:
    macxpress said:
    When its something like this...yes! This will sell very quickly. They could price it at $500 and it would sell just as well. 
    You can google every one of these pictures at anytime for free. 
    wozwoz
  • Reply 11 of 112

sog35 said:
    So this is what Tim Cook was wasting his time on instead of giving us new MacPro, MacMini, and iMac.

I'm getting sick and tired of Tim Cook's indulgent worship of the past. I can see this same attitude in the new headquarters. Instead of getting us a brand new redesigned iPhone7 we get a rehash of a 3 year old phone.  Instead of giving us a home assistant like Echo, we get this ridiculous self worshiping book that cost $300.
    This is your funniest, most "off-your-meds" rant so far. :-D
    netmagepscooter63patchythepiratenolamacguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 112

mac-daddy said:
    macxpress said:
    No, not at $300 a pop, and that's the whole point. If they priced it at $30 then everyone would buy it and it wouldn't gain value in years to come. It's not a book, it's an investment, and unsurprisingly this was completely lost on Sog. 
    netmagecalipscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 112

macxpress said:
    I'm thinking about it. Chances are I wouldn't even take it out of its wrapper. (Cue Ive telling us how each individual page was crafted by a liquid paper process that's taken years YEARS to refine). 

logic2.6watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 112
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Wonder if they'll sell it on Amazon. Or if Amazon will even want to offer it.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 15 of 112
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Will it also be available in iBooks?

It'd be great to read this on an Apple device.

>:x
    boredumbnetmagecaliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 112
    Rayz2016 said:
    Trust me;  you hate it, especially if anyone who had anything to do with the Beats acquisition has touched a copy. 
    I don't hate it I just don't get the point of it, at least not as something for sale. Maybe if it was on display in the new campus or something. I dunno just seeems a bit tone deaf right now.
  • Reply 17 of 112
    macxpress said:

mac-daddy said:
    macxpress said:
    You can google every one of these pictures at anytime for free. 

Yes, my God, you're right!

You'd better pass that piece of profound thinking on to art collectors! Tell them they're wasting their money! That priceless Picasso? You can see it on the internet!

Why isn't there some kind of compulsory intelligence test given before folk are allowed online?
    netmagemike1calipscooter63jahajanolamacguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 112

macxpress said:

1st said:
    People still go to Libraries? :open_mouth: 
    Just me, I think. 
  • Reply 19 of 112
    Rayz2016 said:
    I don't hate it I just don't get the point of it, at least not as something for sale. Maybe if it was on display in the new campus or something. I dunno just seeems a bit tone deaf right now.
    Not as something for sale? It will sell in a blaze and won't be available even on display after one month. Design books are always top priority for old & rare book sellers. $300 is a decent price as a collector's edition.
    edited November 2016 calipscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 112
    wozwozwozwoz Posts: 263member
    Design dept could probably have designed a new Apple monitor in less time than it took to put the book together. I don't mind the book - but it seems priorities are all wrong at Apple these days. Now we have a nice book, and a crappy looking monitor with LG written on the front. The whole thing is just an embarrassment to Apple. 
    caliSpamSandwichlogic2.6Nachinfrumious