Super Mario Run for iPhone coming Dec. 15, unlocked for $9.99

Posted:
in iPhone
More details for Nintendo's 'Super Mario Run' for iOS have been announced, with the game being released on Dec. 15 with a single $9.99 in-app purchase opening up the entire game for users.

"Super Mario Run" is an endless runner title with the same graphical style used for Mario for decades, playing similar to long-term iOS titles "Canabalt" or "Jungle Run." Users tap on the screen to make Mario jump to avoid obstacles, strike objects, and clear gaps.

The longer a user taps, the higher Mario jumps. On-screen items or tiles can reverse Mario's direction, or stop forward progress to allow for precise timing of a jump.

The title also includes a new battle mode called "Toad Rally," where victory is determined by the number of coins you collect, with the "ghost" of your competition visible as you run, and by the number of Toad characters you impress. Progress across all modes is tracked by the number of coins the player has collected, as well as with persistent scorekeeping.

The initial download will be free, and will feature three game modes with limited progress available. The entire title will unlock for $9.99.

"Super Mario Run" was debuted at Apple's September iPhone 7 release event by Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto, the creator of the franchise. A set of stickers for the iOS 10 version of iMessage was made available shortly after the event.
crooksie

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Probably well designed, but there's really no excuse for Nintendo to not have nearly their entire back catalog on iOS by now. They must really hate to make money.
    Metriacanthosauruspatchythepirateericthehalfbeelolliver
  • Reply 2 of 16
    mwhitemwhite Posts: 287member
    sog35 said:
    If you are Nintendo fan and want more games to come on Apple devices buy this.

Even if you don't think its worth it. This is an investment for an Apple+Nintendo future.

IMO, Tim Cook should have struck a deal with Nintendo to bring older Nintendo games to the AppleTV.  Games from the NES, SNES, N64, ect. Another great opportunity that Tim Cook failed to act on.....again.
    sog35 go sog yourself, you have no idea what Tim Cook has planned this might be the start of going bigger and better if this first one goes good could come to ATV in the near future...
    calimejsriclolliver1983jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 16
    why do people keep calling this an endless runner when from the very first showing it's clear there are stages like a regular mario platformer?
    calilolliver
  • Reply 4 of 16
    mwhitemwhite Posts: 287member
    sog35 said:
    mwhite said:
    sog35 said:

Even if you don't think its worth it. This is an investment for an Apple+Nintendo future.

IMO, Tim Cook should have struck a deal with Nintendo to bring older Nintendo games to the AppleTV.  Games from the NES, SNES, N64, ect. Another great opportunity that Tim Cook failed to act on.....again.
    sog35 go sog yourself, you have no idea what Tim Cook has planned this might be the start of going bigger and better if this first one goes good could come to ATV in the near future...
    Cook could have closed the deal MONTHS AGO if he had a bone of strategic thinking in his mind.

He could have offered Nintendo ONE BILLION DOLLARS to be the exclusive 3rd party platform for Nintendo classic gamse. Have all the games from the NES, SNES, N64, and Gamecube be exclusively on iOS and TVoS.  Instead Cook is dragging his feet trying to maximize margins.  The hell with margins. This is an INVESTMENT in the platform.

Offer Nintendo ONE BILLION for these rights.  Apple would get that BILLION back in App store sales in a year.

But Cook is so stupid and his business savy is so pathetic.
    You are so STUPID!!

Metriacanthosaurusking editor the grateSolimejsriclolliverjony0
  • Reply 5 of 16
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    I want this business model for all games and I hope it works. I'd gladly pay $5 or $10 for a game I tried for free and liked rather than be hen-pecked for in-app purchases all the time.
    georgie01calilolliver1983watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 16
    JDP81 said:
    why do people keep calling this an endless runner when from the very first showing it's clear there are stages like a regular mario platformer?
    Because it is an endless runner.

There are stages, yes. There are jumps, yes. But Mario runs automatically and does not stop. The game is called Super Mario Run. It is an endless runner.
    alphafoxwilliamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 16
    koopkoop Posts: 337member
    sog35 said:
    Probably well designed, but there's really no excuse for Nintendo to not have nearly their entire back catalog on iOS by now. They must really hate to make money.
    Nintendo foolishly wants to control the hardware and software.  

Which is DUMB. Nintendo has been horrible with hardware since the N64. Plus hardware is a massively risky model. They could easily transfer that risk to Nintendo.

What Nintendo needs is an incentive to move exclusively to iOS/TVOS.  Cook needs to write a BILLION check to Nintendo. He makes the offer and the shareholders will pressure Nintendo to sign.

Cook needs to present Nintendo with a $1 Billion check for exclusive rights to Nintendo's classic games. 
    Nintendo is a unique company, that often forgoes profits for a certain type of control that they've fought decades to keep. It's a rare thing to see a company consider what's in their self interest. not as maximum profits but image identity. They take a lot of heat for it, but it's just been the way it is. 

On top of that, we don't actually know the valuation of Nintendo's classics as an exclusivity deal. Nintendo's classics are regularly sold in their 3DS eshop, their Wii U eshop and are now bundled into hardware like the NES Mini that is sold out everywhere. What kind of revenue stream those classics provide, and the value of keeping them exclusive to Nintendo systems is unknown. 

It's a reality fans have to accept. If you want Nintendo's best, you buy their hardware. Besides the Switch looks pretty cool.

mwhitegeorgie01calimejsriclolliver
  • Reply 8 of 16
    sog35 said:

Tim Cook had little to do with Nintendo not bringing their games to iOS. Nintendo has always kept their intellectual property highly guarded just like Apple does. You want Zelda? You buy Nintendo's hardware. You want MacOS? You buy Apple's hardware.
    edited November 2016 georgie01calimejsriclolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 16
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    JDP81 said:

There are stages, yes. There are jumps, yes. But Mario runs automatically and does not stop. The game is called Super Mario Run. It is an endless runner.
    Does auto-runner equate to endless runner, and can endless runners have an end?
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 10 of 16
    sog35 said:

What makes you think Nintendo has any interest in this? They have their own consoles in which they sell their classic games as well as things like the newly released NES Classic. Nintendo are control freaks and NEED to be able to control the hardware/software. Until Nintendo stops making consoles what you are speaking about is a pipe dream. They will make mobile optimized games only, NO PORTS. I'd be suprised to ever see a Nintendo game on Apple TV. Again, don't think these type of request come to fruition until the day Nintendo no longer makes consoles. Think it's more likely to see something like the Sony streaming service, PS Now, come to Apple TV long before Nintendo does. 

This perceived failure of Cook to make this deal is just misguided & misplaced. Nintendo wouldn't even let this conversation start. Read their interviews over the last few years. Their stance has been crystal clear.
    williamlondonlolliver
  • Reply 11 of 16
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    Uh, you have never played a Nintendo game, or at least nothing since the SNES. The NES Classic Mini tells us exactly what Nintendo's plans are, as it's just a fixed-game Virtual Console implementation. For the SNES if they go down that route, it will be harder to pick just 30 games, and it's more likely that 15 games will come straight out of Nintendo's own Mario/Donkey Kong IP.

Nintendo makes a point of not porting their games to platforms that they would be poor experience on. Take for example the Shantae games by Wayforward, the games work pretty good on platforms with a controller, but playing it on a tablet is excrutiating fustrating because "on screen buttons" are not a replacement for an actual controller. 

Most of Nintendo's games require at the minimum of a two button controller, if not a 4-button controller. The 3D games (eg Super Paper Mario, Super Mario 3D World/Land, and so forth) aren't going to be very good experiences. The 2D games might be playable if a requirement that a controller be present, but I don't see Nintendo ever bringing iOS, let alone Android ports of Mario games. They just can not be played.

There is one exception. The Paper Mario games (Super Mario RPG, Paper Mario, Paper Mario 1000 year door) have turn-based mechanics that could be touch adapted, and like Final Fantasy 3/4/5/6 for iOS/Android/PC it IS possible to make turn-based RPG's work if you bend a few rules. For the Paper Mario games (and mario+luigi games,) there is a "press the button again for double damage" mechanic that would be harder to pull off because touch is not accurate.

As I already said, the platformer style games are not going to be viable. Nintendo is on the right track with this, and the next logical games to adapt would be the Mario&Donkey Kong Games (which entirely use the touch screen to play.) Another game that could probably be adapted is the Captain Toad Treasure Tracker game, as it the same idea.
    edited November 2016 georgie01
  • Reply 12 of 16
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I wonder if this will ever come to droid knockoffs?  I'm starting to think I won't. 

It's not really an endless runner there's parts where you could actually stop and wait. I hope Apple lets them use the home button to tap.  that would clear the screen for all visuals.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    sog35 said:
    bdkennedy said:
    Tim Cook had little to do with Nintendo not bringing their games to iOS. Nintendo has always kept their intellectual property highly guarded just like Apple does. You want Zelda? You buy Nintendo's hardware. You want MacOS? You buy Apple's hardware.
    People said the same thing about SEGA games a decade ago.  Now SEGA is gone.

Nintendo will be the same if they don't adapt to the modern era.
    Personally I'd rather Nintendo close shop than have only iPhone-appropriate versions of Nintendo's games.

I've had several Nintendo consoles in the past. After I got an iPad 3 and then the iPad Air, I was playing games only on the iPad and really enjoyed it. Real Racing 2 hooked me.

But then I bought a Wii U, and despite it's faults it was an infinitely better gaming experience than the iPad—the controls and especially the game quality. I had forgotten what I left behind when switching to the iPad.

Maybe console gaming is not for everyone and that's fine, and I think Nintendo is making a good move with this Mario game, but moving Nintendo's game library to iOS would be like Apple porting iOS 10 apps to Samsung feature phones.

Nobody should want Nintendo to stop making hardware simply to stay in business. Rather, we should get our entitled lazy butts in gear and start appreciating the great quality of Nintendo's console games by buying their consoles.
    crooksielolliver
  • Reply 14 of 16
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    mike1 said:
    I want this business model for all games and I hope it works. I'd gladly pay $5 or $10 for a game I tried for free and liked rather than be hen-pecked for in-app purchases all the time.
    Yes indeed! I wish all iOS games used this model. I abhor in-app purchases on games. I feel like I'm being conned. That's why I've stopped downloading such games and  have deleted the ones I already had...no more!
  • Reply 15 of 16
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Soli said:
    JDP81 said:

Does auto-runner equate to endless runner, and can endless runners have an end?
    I prefer runner games that have stages, so there's a series of 'ends'.