'Designed by Apple in California' book released in $200 and $300 editions [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 112
    Wow was the original iPhone that obesed ? Darnm, that must explain Jonny's fondness for product bulimia ;)
    cali
  • Reply 22 of 112
    sog35 said:
    mac-daddy said:
    macxpress said:
    Well...my wallet is going to be $300 lighter come tomorrow. This is cool!
    $300....for a....book. Serious question, will some people buy literally anything Apple releases? 
    I know who will definitely buy this book.

"The book, developed over eight years, also documents materials and techniques used in assembly and construction of all the products in 400 pictures."

Samsung.
    The entire run of first editions is headed to South Korea.
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 112
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    wozwoz said:
    Design dept could probably have designed a new Apple monitor in less time than it took to put the book together. 
    Two completely different disciplines. Engineers and industrial designers don't generally work in publishing, printing and photography.
    edited November 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 112
    mac-daddy said:
    macxpress said:
    $300....for a....book. Serious question, will some people buy literally anything Apple releases? 
    This is a collector's book, must probably a limited edition. You will see its price on eBay after all copies are sold.  B)

“Designed by Apple in California” is available in two sizes and printed on specially milled, custom-dyed paper with gilded matte silver edges, using eight color separations and low-ghost ink. This linen-bound, hardcover volume was developed over an eight-year period. It is published by Apple. (Press release)

For people who love books as much as they love Apple, this will fill the bill. But it really does make Apple look like an out of touch, Soviet-style self-contained fiefdom.
    logic2.6
  • Reply 25 of 112
    I think that self-indulgent booksh... I mean, bullshit, pretty much describes it. 
    edited November 2016 Nachin
  • Reply 26 of 112
    sog35 said:
    Rayz2016 said:

mac-daddy said:
    macxpress said:
    No, not at $300 a pop, and that's the whole point. If they priced it at $30 then everyone would buy it and it wouldn't gain value in years to come. It's not a book, it's an investment, and unsurprisingly this was completely lost on Sog. 
    You are right. 

This book will be a better investment than Apple stock if Tim Cook remains CEO.

If Cook remains CEO Apple stock with be FLAT for a decade. From 2012-2022 stuck at $100. Pathetic.
    It's probably painfully obvious to most that Tim is a visionless leader, but a supply chain genius. Steve picked the best guy available at the time to head Apple immediately after his death, but someone like Bob Iger at Disney or (dare I say it) or a guy who has nothing but vision, like Elon Musk, would be better to prevent a long, long slide for Apple.

(I hasten to add that I don't literally mean that Elon Musk would be the ideal person to lead Apple, only that he has as much vision and drive as Steve Jobs. Talk about commitment to an idea... He's focused on goals for the next 100 years.)
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 27 of 112
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    macxpress said:

1st said:
    sweet.  will look in the library next year... (out of reach for my budget).. will compare with IDEO and Oxford design book and learn the simple taste of beauty... 
    People still go to Libraries? :open_mouth: 
    Of course. I don't need to own every book I read. My Library offers digital loans when needed, even though I usually still prefer paper.
  • Reply 28 of 112
    The pro model doesn't seem to offer anything extra apart from a bigger page. 
  • Reply 29 of 112
    The pro model doesn't seem to offer anything extra apart from a bigger page. 
    "It's our thinnest and lightest book ever."
  • Reply 30 of 112
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    SpamSandwich said:

...to prevent a long, long slide for Apple.
    So that is your prediction? SJ died 5 years ago. Go look at a 5 year stock chart. AAPL is currently up over 97% during that time. 
    calipscooter63patchythepiratemacxpressnolamacguy
  • Reply 31 of 112
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I wonder when the Plus version will be back in stock?

A full video with Jony describing the design details of the book would be awesome!

I hope this isn't limited edition so we could have university classes on the topic using these as textbooks. 
  • Reply 32 of 112
    I will wait for the $29 Audiobook version. /s
    Rayz2016YoungKawhi
  • Reply 33 of 112
    mac-daddy said:
    macxpress said:
    This is a collector's book, must probably a limited edition. You will see its price on eBay after all copies are sold.  B)

“Designed by Apple in California” is available in two sizes and printed on specially milled, custom-dyed paper with gilded matte silver edges, using eight color separations and low-ghost ink. This linen-bound, hardcover volume was developed over an eight-year period. It is published by Apple. (Press release)

For people who love books as much as they love Apple, this will fill the bill. But it really does make Apple look like an out of touch, Soviet-style self-contained fiefdom.
    In order to buy this book, one doesn't have to love Apple. This is a collector's item wich will have a high auction value. It won't have any effect on how Apple looks like, except for designers and old&rare book collectors.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 112
    Looks nice but also seems A bit self indulgent? Not sure exactly how I feel about this...
     Shoud Apple have chronicled the struggles of the knockoff manufactures instead?
     The book is a great idea as it reinforces who innovated the industry. 

macxpress said:

1st said:
    sweet.  will look in the library next year... (out of reach for my budget).. will compare with IDEO and Oxford design book and learn the simple taste of beauty... 
    People still go to Libraries? :open_mouth: 
     I don't think so. Every time I go it's awfully quiet. 

sog35 said:
    mac-daddy said:
    macxpress said:
    I know who will definitely buy this book.

"The book, developed over eight years, also documents materials and techniques used in assembly and construction of all the products in 400 pictures."

Samsung.
     I wonder if Samsung will ever release the 132-page book they wrote on how to copy Apple? 

http://allthingsd.com/20120807/samsungs-2010-report-on-how-its-galaxy-would-be-better-if-it-were-more-like-the-iphone/?mod=tweet
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 112
    sog35 said:
    wozwoz said:
    Design dept could probably have designed a new Apple monitor in less time than it took to put the book together. I don't mind the book - but it seems priorities are all wrong at Apple these days. Now we have a nice book, and a crappy looking monitor with LG written on the front. The whole thing is just an embarrassment to Apple. 
    I agree with this 100%

This just another example of how Tim Cook is ruining the company.

Cook wastes his time on political and social issues and has no time to give us a new Apple Monitor, iPad Air, Macmini, MacPro, ect, ect, ect.

Apple isn't making monitors because they don't have high enough margins. What a RIDICULOUS way to run a platform company. Not every product you sell needs to be high margin as long as its strengthens your platform and makes your ecosystem more sticky. But this type of strategic planning is LOST in Tim Cook's mind of just trying to keep margins high. Sick.

Oh, and this book will have massive profit margins. That's why Cook green lighted this.
    WTF does a stand alone monitor have to do with platform and stickiness? What benefit does Apple have to being in the display business? It makes as little sense as Apple selling a stand alone television set.
  • Reply 36 of 112
    I think that self-indulgent booksh... I mean, bullshit, pretty much describes it. 
    They should be selling this for charity. That would make it look less self-indulgent.
    luvappl
  • Reply 37 of 112
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Rayz2016 said:
    macxpress said:

mac-daddy said:
    macxpress said:
    When its something like this...yes! This will sell very quickly. They could price it at $500 and it would sell just as well. 
    You can google every one of these pictures at anytime for free. 

Yes, my God, you're right!

You'd better pass that piece of profound thinking on to art collectors! Tell them they're wasting their money! That priceless Picasso? You can see it on the internet!

Why isn't there some kind of compulsory intelligence test given before folk are allowed online?
    +10
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 112

sog35 said:
    volcan said:
    SpamSandwich said:

...to prevent a long, long slide for Apple.
    So that is your prediction? SJ died 5 years ago. Go look at a 5 year stock chart. AAPL is currently up over 97% during that time. 
    Look at 2012 to 2016. Stock is flat at about $100.  And if you take into consideration the increase in cash the stock is actually DOWN the last 4 years.

The first year of Cook being CEO was still running on the glow of Jobs. No CEO can make a difference in the first year, and Cook certainly did not. 
    Apple's biggest problem is they no longer have P.T. Barnum at the helm to pitch their products. Steve Jobs could sell you a crap sandwich and you'd love it. I remember Apple events where we got things like iPod socks and a U2 edition iPod. Or the big reveal was iMacs coming in lifesaver colors. My god if that happened today people would be ready to tar and feather Tim Cook.
  • Reply 39 of 112
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    wozwoz said:
    Design dept could probably have designed a new Apple monitor in less time than it took to put the book together. I don't mind the book - but it seems priorities are all wrong at Apple these days. Now we have a nice book, and a crappy looking monitor with LG written on the front. The whole thing is just an embarrassment to Apple. 
    You are an embarrassment to the community. How do you think LG is going to supply enough monitors for Apple when they can hardly make enough for themselves?

You are ignorant of the five years of struggle around developing the production of oxide-backed LCD displays. I told you this before. Get educated.
    nolamacguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 112
    sog35 said:
    Rayz2016 said:

mac-daddy said:
    macxpress said:
    No, not at $300 a pop, and that's the whole point. If they priced it at $30 then everyone would buy it and it wouldn't gain value in years to come. It's not a book, it's an investment, and unsurprisingly this was completely lost on Sog. 
    You are right. 

This book will be a better investment than Apple stock if Tim Cook remains CEO.

If Cook remains CEO Apple stock with be FLAT for a decade. From 2012-2022 stuck at $100. Pathetic.
    It's probably painfully obvious to most that Tim is a visionless leader, but a supply chain genius. Steve picked the best guy available at the time to head Apple immediately after his death, but someone like Bob Iger at Disney or (dare I say it) or a guy who has nothing but vision, like Elon Musk, would be better to prevent a long, long slide for Apple.
      He's  been pretty damn successful I wouldn't call him "visionless". Considering how well the Apple Watch has done.

Bob Iger I'm not sure about. It could be like hiring that one Pepsi dude who took over Apple in the 90s.  Although if he could take over the AppleTV/iTunes section and give Eddy Cue a rest that would be awesome. 
     He also wouldn't be afraid to spend money on Nintendo/Capcom etc. 

Elon musk just seems like a better Google. Throwing everything at the wall with a bit better aim.
    patchythepiratemacpluspluswatto_cobra