'Designed by Apple in California' book released in $200 and $300 editions [u]

Comments

• Reply 41 of 112
    Rayz2016 said:
    macxpress said:

mac-daddy said:
    macxpress said:
    Well...my wallet is going to be $300 lighter come tomorrow. This is cool!
    $300....for a....book. Serious question, will some people buy literally anything Apple releases? 
    When its something like this...yes! This will sell very quickly. They could price it at $500 and it would sell just as well. 
    You can google every one of these pictures at anytime for free. 

Yes, my God, you're right!

You'd better pass that piece of profound thinking on to art collectors! Tell them they're wasting their money! That priceless Picasso? You can see it on the internet!

Why isn't there some kind of compulsory intelligence test given before folk are allowed online?
    You let us know when a picture of an iPhone is as priceless as a Picasso painting.
  • Reply 42 of 112
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    macxpress said:

1st said:
    sweet.  will look in the library next year... (out of reach for my budget).. will compare with IDEO and Oxford design book and learn the simple taste of beauty... 
    People still go to Libraries? open_mouth 
    When will is be available on iBooks? And how much will they charge for the digital copy? This book will look amazing on my iPad Pro!

Books are such outdated technology. ;-)
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 43 of 112
    sog35 said:
    So this is what Tim Cook was wasting his time on instead of giving us new MacPro, MacMini, and iMac.

I'm getting sick and tired of Tim Cook's indulgent worship of the past. I can see this same attitude in the new headquarters. Instead of getting us a brand new redesigned iPhone7 we get a rehash of a 3 year old phone.  Instead of giving us a home assistant like Echo, we get this ridiculous self worshiping book that cost $300.

The iPhone 7 is a major redesign, internally. What is it going to take to make people happy? A round phone? Triangular? The outside can only change so much. The insides have changed dramatically since last gen. It's faster and better in so many ways. But it's easier to ignore that because the phone "looks" the same, right?
    macxpresswatto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 112
    Rayz2016 said:
    Looks nice but also seems A bit self indulgent? Not sure exactly how I feel about this...
    Trust me;  you hate it, especially if anyone who had anything to do with the Beats acquisition has touched a copy. 
    I was skeptical about the Beats acquisition, but I think Apple saw something really important — Beats attitude towards product promotion. I live in a small town in the mountains (pop. 5000), and we have an electronics store here that sells the regular rig of electronics - mobile phones, computer gear, TVs, etc. And they have a Beats "try out" station where you can test out the Beats current lineup of headphones. It was engaging to be able to try the products before you buy. I know that's not new or special, but they were the *only* brand taking this level of engagement with potential customers, and that wins my attention. I know what I'm getting before I drop that wad of cash down. Just wish I had the cash for that.  B)

This book is not available in Canada. Surprising. Maybe our market really is too small for Tim's company.  :D
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 112
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member

An older book, called "Appledesign: The Work of the Apple Industrial Design Group" was published in 1998 and chronicled Apple's design history to that point, had an original retail price of $30, and has become a collector's item.
    I have the original Kunkle book. Paid $30 for it. Nice to see my investment is now worth almost $300 on Amazon. EBay will fetch even more, I've seen them go for almost $500 from excited collectors who don't know to look on used bookseller sites.

its a beatiful book, I just wish it were hardbound. I've been meaning to digitally scan mine, but it would destroy the book to get good images. Just haven't been able to bring myself to do it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 112
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    mac_128 said:
    macxpress said:

1st said:
    sweet.  will look in the library next year... (out of reach for my budget).. will compare with IDEO and Oxford design book and learn the simple taste of beauty... 
    People still go to Libraries? open_mouth 
    When will is be available on iBooks? And how much will they charge for the digital copy? This book will look amazing on my iPad Pro!

Books are such outdated technology. ;-)
    I for one would love this book...too bad I don't have the funds. 
    Unlike iPads, at least we know we'll still be able to read books a hundred years from now.
  • Reply 47 of 112
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    I think that self-indulgent booksh... I mean, bullshit, pretty much describes it. 
    Kinda like most of your posts...but that doesn't stop you from posting. 
    edited November 2016 nolamacguypatchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 112
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

sog35 said:
    wozwoz said:
    Design dept could probably have designed a new Apple monitor in less time than it took to put the book together. I don't mind the book - but it seems priorities are all wrong at Apple these days. Now we have a nice book, and a crappy looking monitor with LG written on the front. The whole thing is just an embarrassment to Apple. 
    I agree with this 100%

This just another example of how Tim Cook is ruining the company.

Cook wastes his time on political and social issues and has no time to give us a new Apple Monitor, iPad Air, Macmini, MacPro, ect, ect, ect.

Apple isn't making monitors because they don't have high enough margins. What a RIDICULOUS way to run a platform company. Not every product you sell needs to be high margin as long as its strengthens your platform and makes your ecosystem more sticky. But this type of strategic planning is LOST in Tim Cook's mind of just trying to keep margins high. Sick.

Oh, and this book will have massive profit margins. That's why Cook green lighted this.
    Sog, as usual, you are quivering inside with two-year-old fear and insecurity and unable to think.

LG can't make enough IGZO displays to supply both Apple and themselves. You made up that "high enough margins" bit out your own childish imagination. I wish we could get rid of you somehow. 
    nolamacguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 112
    bdkennedy said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    macxpress said:

mac-daddy said:
    macxpress said:
    $300....for a....book. Serious question, will some people buy literally anything Apple releases? 
    When its something like this...yes! This will sell very quickly. They could price it at $500 and it would sell just as well. 

You'd better pass that piece of profound thinking on to art collectors! Tell them they're wasting their money! That priceless Picasso? You can see it on the internet!

Why isn't there some kind of compulsory intelligence test given before folk are allowed online?
    You let us know when a picture of an iPhone is as priceless as a Picasso painting.
    Whoosh!
    nolamacguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 112
    volcan said:
    SpamSandwich said:

...to prevent a long, long slide for Apple.
    So that is your prediction? SJ died 5 years ago. Go look at a 5 year stock chart. AAPL is currently up over 97% during that time. 
    Oh please. During the last five years, Google is up 171%, Facebook up 268%, Microsoft up 143%, Amazon up 306%. Heck, the S&P500 is up 87%.

So it's no great shakes. Just sayin'.... since you brought it up.
    edited November 2016 logic2.6
  • Reply 51 of 112
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,258member
    wozwoz said:
    Design dept could probably have designed a new Apple monitor in less time than it took to put the book together. I don't mind the book - but it seems priorities are all wrong at Apple these days. Now we have a nice book, and a crappy looking monitor with LG written on the front. The whole thing is just an embarrassment to Apple. 
    I totally agree. Make new products, not books about your old products! 

At my company we had a book created about our history, but the book was created by someone who was retired -- nobody who is actively working would have time for such navel gazing. 
    wozwoz
  • Reply 52 of 112
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    macxpress said:
    sog35 said:
    So this is what Tim Cook was wasting his time on instead of giving us new MacPro, MacMini, and iMac.

I'm getting sick and tired of Tim Cook's indulgent worship of the past. I can see this same attitude in the new headquarters. Instead of getting us a brand new redesigned iPhone7 we get a rehash of a 3 year old phone.  Instead of giving us a home assistant like Echo, we get this ridiculous self worshiping book that cost $300.

We're sick and tired of you bitching about Tim Cook everyday but that doesn't stop you from continuing on....

AppleInsider offers you the ability to mute someone:

Your profile > Edit profile > Ignore list

>:x
  • Reply 53 of 112
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

sog35 said:
    volcan said:
    SpamSandwich said:

So that is your prediction? SJ died 5 years ago. Go look at a 5 year stock chart. AAPL is currently up over 97% during that time. 
    Look at 2012 to 2016. Stock is flat at about $100.  And if you take into consideration the increase in cash the stock is actually DOWN the last 4 years.

The first year of Cook being CEO was still running on the glow of Jobs. No CEO can make a difference in the first year, and Cook certainly did not. 
    Apple's biggest problem is they no longer have P.T. Barnum at the helm to pitch their products. Steve Jobs could sell you a crap sandwich and you'd love it. I remember Apple events where we got things like iPod socks and a U2 edition iPod. Or the big reveal was iMacs coming in lifesaver colors. My god if that happened today people would be ready to tar and feather Tim Cook.
    IPod… socks?
  • Reply 54 of 112

bdkennedy said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    macxpress said:

mac-daddy said:
    macxpress said:

It doesn't have to be. It just has to be worth more than you paid for it. There are old bits of Apple kit that sell for hundreds of thousands.  Art is weird, read up on it. 
    edited November 2016 nolamacguy
  • Reply 55 of 112
    Rayz2016 said:

sog35 said:
    volcan said:
    SpamSandwich said:

Look at 2012 to 2016. Stock is flat at about $100.  And if you take into consideration the increase in cash the stock is actually DOWN the last 4 years.

The first year of Cook being CEO was still running on the glow of Jobs. No CEO can make a difference in the first year, and Cook certainly did not. 
    Apple's biggest problem is they no longer have P.T. Barnum at the helm to pitch their products. Steve Jobs could sell you a crap sandwich and you'd love it. I remember Apple events where we got things like iPod socks and a U2 edition iPod. Or the big reveal was iMacs coming in lifesaver colors. My god if that happened today people would be ready to tar and feather Tim Cook.
    IPod… socks?
    edited November 2016 mr o
  • Reply 56 of 112
    blastdoor said:
    wozwoz said:
    I totally agree. Make new products, not books about your old products! 

At my company we had a book created about our history, but the book was created by someone who was retired -- nobody who is actively working would have time for such navel gazing. 
    Whereas this book was probably produced by Apple PR, whose job it is to promote the vision of the company to the outside. It's a vision that changed the world's communications and knowledge industries, not to mention consumer design and manufacturing .

I doubt if the rest of the world cares much about the boiler works you work for.

Meanwhile, Ive's small design team has moved on to some new post-MacBook project, while still waiting for new silicon from Intel, displays from LG and Samsung, etc. Why don't you know-nothings ever consider the technical and production constraints?

edited November 2016 nolamacguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 57 of 112

flaneur said:

sog35 said:
    wozwoz said:
    I agree with this 100%

Cook wastes his time on political and social issues and has no time to give us a new Apple Monitor, iPad Air, Macmini, MacPro, ect, ect, ect.

Apple isn't making monitors because they don't have high enough margins. What a RIDICULOUS way to run a platform company. Not every product you sell needs to be high margin as long as its strengthens your platform and makes your ecosystem more sticky. But this type of strategic planning is LOST in Tim Cook's mind of just trying to keep margins high. Sick.

Oh, and this book will have massive profit margins. That's why Cook green lighted this.
    Sog, as usual, you are quivering inside with two-year-old fear and insecurity and unable to think.

LG can't make enough IGZO displays to supply both Apple and themselves. You made up that "high enough margins" bit out your own childish imagination. I wish we could get rid of you somehow. 
    Oh come on. He's pure entertainment!  One day, you might come home and find a light aircraft in your swimming pool. On that day you can say, 'Well… I'm not Sog.' 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 58 of 112

sog35 said:
    sog35 said:

The iPhone 7 is a major redesign, internally. What is it going to take to make people happy? A round phone? Triangular? The outside can only change so much. The insides have changed dramatically since last gen. It's faster and better in so many ways. But it's easier to ignore that because the phone "looks" the same, right?
    smaller bezel

An iPhone7 with a smaller bezel would be SUPER HOT.

The iPhone7 with huge bezel is a total EYESORE.  Looks like a phone from 2014. Old and dated.  Its really pathetic that the iPhone has the same shell design for THREE FRIKEN YEARS. While Cheap POS china brands can bring out new designs every year. Why? Cause margins. That's all Timmy cares about now.
    Nurse! Nurse! He's chewed through his restraints again!
    nolamacguypatchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 59 of 112
    Four pages and no one mentioned iConic? The third party book that was put out to do just this (plus show prototypes) which is A QUARTER OF THE PRICE?

What the hell is Apple thinking here? What happened to not looking back?
    edited November 2016 cpsro
  • Reply 60 of 112
    Rayz2016 said:

flaneur said:

sog35 said:
    wozwoz said:
    I agree with this 100%

Oh come on. He's pure entertainment!  One day, you might come home and find a light aircraft in your swimming pool. On that day you can say, 'Well… I'm not Sog.' 
    Ha. But he spreads ignorance. I'm just not amused by that these days . . . 
    nolamacguywatto_cobra