'Designed by Apple in California' book released in $200 and $300 editions [u]

Comments

• Reply 61 of 112
    mac_128 said:

An older book, called "Appledesign: The Work of the Apple Industrial Design Group" was published in 1998 and chronicled Apple's design history to that point, had an original retail price of $30, and has become a collector's item.
    I have the original Kunkle book. Paid $30 for it. Nice to see my investment is now worth almost $300 on Amazon. EBay will fetch even more, I've seen them go for almost $500 from excited collectors who don't know to look on used bookseller sites.

its a beatiful book, I just wish it were hardbound. I've been meaning to digitally scan mine, but it would destroy the book to get good images. Just haven't been able to bring myself to do it.
    Use Microsoft OfficeLens. It is a great pocket scanner to rectify angled shots. For iOS and Android.

Office Lens by Microsoft Corporation

edited November 2016
  • Reply 62 of 112
    Apple has completely lost their mind. Too busy awarding/rewarding themselves.
    wozwozSpamSandwichanantksundaramtallest skilfrumiousluvappl
  • Reply 63 of 112
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Rayz2016 said:

sog35 said:
    volcan said:
    SpamSandwich said:

...to prevent a long, long slide for Apple.
    So that is your prediction? SJ died 5 years ago. Go look at a 5 year stock chart. AAPL is currently up over 97% during that time. 
    Look at 2012 to 2016. Stock is flat at about $100.  And if you take into consideration the increase in cash the stock is actually DOWN the last 4 years.

The first year of Cook being CEO was still running on the glow of Jobs. No CEO can make a difference in the first year, and Cook certainly did not. 
    Apple's biggest problem is they no longer have P.T. Barnum at the helm to pitch their products. Steve Jobs could sell you a crap sandwich and you'd love it. I remember Apple events where we got things like iPod socks and a U2 edition iPod. Or the big reveal was iMacs coming in lifesaver colors. My god if that happened today people would be ready to tar and feather Tim Cook.
    IPod… socks?
    Wow. And people are complaining about a book?

Why does a music player need to wear socks?
  • Reply 64 of 112
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

Four pages and no one mentioned iConic? The third party book that was put out to do just this (plus show prototypes) which is A QUARTER OF THE PRICE?

What the hell is Apple thinking here? What happened to not looking back?
    It's a posh book full of pictures. I don't think it's a statement of future strategy. 
    nolamacguytallest skil
  • Reply 65 of 112
    Rayz2016 said:

Four pages and no one mentioned iConic? The third party book that was put out to do just this (plus show prototypes) which is A QUARTER OF THE PRICE?

It's a posh book full of pictures. I don't think it's a statement of future strategy. 
    A lot of freak out over a damn book that no one is required to buy. Apple has tens of thousands of employees. I doubt this book took them away from working on new products.Rayz2016 said:
    Rayz2016 said:

sog35 said:
    volcan said:
    SpamSandwich said:

So that is your prediction? SJ died 5 years ago. Go look at a 5 year stock chart. AAPL is currently up over 97% during that time. 
    Look at 2012 to 2016. Stock is flat at about $100.  And if you take into consideration the increase in cash the stock is actually DOWN the last 4 years.

The first year of Cook being CEO was still running on the glow of Jobs. No CEO can make a difference in the first year, and Cook certainly did not. 
    Apple's biggest problem is they no longer have P.T. Barnum at the helm to pitch their products. Steve Jobs could sell you a crap sandwich and you'd love it. I remember Apple events where we got things like iPod socks and a U2 edition iPod. Or the big reveal was iMacs coming in lifesaver colors. My god if that happened today people would be ready to tar and feather Tim Cook.
    IPod… socks?

• Reply 66 of 112
    wozwozwozwoz Posts: 263member
    WTF does a stand alone monitor have to do with platform and stickiness? What benefit does Apple have to being in the display business? It makes as little sense as Apple selling a stand alone television set.
    A stand alone monitor has everything to do with platform and stickiness - it is all about designing an ecosystem of products that work seamlessly with each other, irrespective of whether you lose a few dollars on one or the other ... you offer the platform, and people buy into the platform. Do you think BMW make money selling custom boot bags for every different model (and stocking them, and storing them)??? No way - but they offer them, because that is what serious companies offer for their customers: an ecosystem that works.

Steve Jobs often commented this as the defining feature of Apple:  that Apple was unique in providing the interface every step of the way from the mouse through the monitor to the OS. And only Apple did that. No longer it seems - you can't even buy something as basic as an Apple monitor anymore - they've given up the the brand to LG - hopeless. Tim Cook doesn't get the basics, and neither alas do you, rogifan. 
    luvappl
  • Reply 67 of 112
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    I can't believe the new book tops out at 13" x 16.25"

I'm a Professional Reader and I just don't see how I can get my reading work done on such a second-tier form factor. And don't get me started on the 8-color printing process. There are presses in Germany that can easily print 12 colors in one pass. Fail.

I guess the thing that disappoints me the most is how the competition has been running circles around Apple's books for years now. Animal books from 2009 are outclassing this weak Apple offering in raw physical size!

Not only that, look how the Animal book prints the photo all the way up to the edge of the page. Isn't Apple leaving a lot of potential image size on the table with their highly questionable modest cropping of the photographs?
    nolamacguypatchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 68 of 112
    Rayz2016 said:
    Rayz2016 said:

sog35 said:
    volcan said:
    SpamSandwich said:

IPod… socks?

I remember this event. And yes Steve Jobs announced iPod socks on stage. There were plenty of Macworld /WWDC keynotes where the majority of it was Steve Jobs sitting behind a computer messing around with iPhoto or iDVD or whatever. People have selective memories. That's why I wish the Angry Mac Bastards podcast was still around. They were the first ones to call people out over stuff like this. It's the same thing with the new Macs. As if no one ever complained about a Mac laptop prior to the 2016 MBP refresh. Good grief.
  • Reply 69 of 112
    volcan said:
    SpamSandwich said:

Oh please. During the last five years, Google is up 171%, Facebook up 268%, Microsoft up 143%, Amazon up 306%. Heck, the S&P500 is up 87%.

So it's no great shakes. Just sayin'.... since you brought it up.
    so because other companies are also delivering value...it somehow means apple's success is less? what an odd, irrational thought. i'd call that....nonsense. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 70 of 112
    mac-daddy said:
    macxpress said:
    Well...my wallet is going to be $300 lighter come tomorrow. This is cool!
    $300....for a....book. Serious question, will some people buy literally anything Apple releases? 
    Serious question, will some people dump on literally anyone who's the least bit enthusiastic about anything?
    patchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 71 of 112
    polymnia said:

I'm a Professional Reader and I just don't see how I can get my reading work done on such a second-tier form factor. And don't get me started on the 8-color printing process. There are presses in Germany that can easily print 12 colors in one pass. Fail.

I guess the thing that disappoints me the most is how the competition has been running circles around Apple's books for years now. Animal books from 2009 are outclassing this weak Apple offering in raw physical size!

Not only that, look how the Animal book prints the photo all the way up to the edge of the page. Isn't Apple leaving a lot of potential image size on the table with their highly questionable modest cropping of the photographs?
    So you're a professional reader and you can read 12 colors in one pass...

Apple has a long history with high quality printing, both as supplier and customer. I'm sure they've made the color accuracy a prime concern to serve us mere mortal unprofessional readers.
    edited November 2016 polymnia
  • Reply 72 of 112
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    So this is what Tim Cook was wasting his time on instead of giving us new MacPro, MacMini, and iMac.

I'm getting sick and tired of Tim Cook's indulgent worship of the past. I can see this same attitude in the new headquarters. Instead of getting us a brand new redesigned iPhone7 we get a rehash of a 3 year old phone.  Instead of giving us a home assistant like Echo, we get this ridiculous self worshiping book that cost $300.

The iPhone 7 is a major redesign, internally. What is it going to take to make people happy? A round phone? Triangular? The outside can only change so much. The insides have changed dramatically since last gen. It's faster and better in so many ways. But it's easier to ignore that because the phone "looks" the same, right?
    smaller bezel

An iPhone7 with a smaller bezel would be SUPER HOT.

The iPhone7 with huge bezel is a total EYESORE.  Looks like a phone from 2014. Old and dated.  Its really pathetic that the iPhone has the same shell design for THREE FRIKEN YEARS. While Cheap POS china brands can bring out new designs every year. Why? Cause margins. That's all Timmy cares about now.
    Disagree about a smaller bezel. Phones need to be designed to withstand day to day use and abuse. Edge to edge glass exposes a phone to dramatically more risk to damage, but if the glass is replaced with transparent aluminium or a completely invisible diamond sleeve, go for it.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 73 of 112

Yep. This is one of those times to be reminded of Steve's distaste for resting on one's laurels.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 74 of 112
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    polymnia said:

Apple has a long history with high quality printing, both as supplier and customer. I'm sure they've made the color accuracy a prime concern to serve us mere mortal unprofessional readers.
    I need 12 colors, and by extension, so does everybody else.

duh.

You are right though, Apple has a long history of quality printing and color accuracy. But sadly, in light of this steaming pile of turd they call a book, I'm going to switch over to reading Animal books from now on.

Way to go, Apple. You just lost a pro reader of books.
    edited November 2016 patchythepirate
  • Reply 75 of 112
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Buy one, leave in the box, check value 20 years from now...
  • Reply 76 of 112
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    wozwoz said:
    WTF does a stand alone monitor have to do with platform and stickiness? What benefit does Apple have to being in the display business? It makes as little sense as Apple selling a stand alone television set.
    A stand alone monitor has everything to do with platform and stickiness - it is all about designing an ecosystem of products that work seamlessly with each other, irrespective of whether you lose a few dollars on one or the other ... you offer the platform, and people buy into the platform. Do you think BMW make money selling custom boot bags for every different model (and stocking them, and storing them)??? No way - but they offer them, because that is what serious companies offer for their customers: an ecosystem that works.

Steve Jobs often commented this as the defining feature of Apple:  that Apple was unique in providing the interface every step of the way from the mouse through the monitor to the OS. And only Apple did that. No longer it seems - you can't even buy something as basic as an Apple monitor anymore - they've given up the the brand to LG - hopeless. Tim Cook doesn't get the basics, and neither alas do you, rogifan. 
    One more chance for you to redeem yourself. Please check with LG to make sure they have enough extra IGZO displays to supply Apple with their own supply. Otherwise, shut up about this because you ignore this basic question.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 77 of 112
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    macxpress said:

1st said:
    sweet.  will look in the library next year... (out of reach for my budget).. will compare with IDEO and Oxford design book and learn the simple taste of beauty... 
    People still go to Libraries? :open_mouth: 
    Yes.  People who don't make $200,000 + per year and who have an interest in literature and/or knowledge still go to libraries.  There are at least three library systems in New York City and they generally hit records every year in terms of the amount of materials they circulate.   On the way to work, I walk by the front of the main research library and the circulating Mid-Manhattan library and at the latter, there are usually people lined up at the door waiting for them to open.    Think outside your bubble. 

Of course, many people use their local Barnes & Noble as a library, but those retail locations are disappearing fast.   

Maybe if more Americans used the library, we wouldn't be subject to "the dumbing down of America" and people would rely more upon facts.
  • Reply 78 of 112
    polymnia said:

The additional "colors" are for spot colors (PMS inks) and things like clear coatings or varnishes.
  • Reply 79 of 112
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

sog35 said:
    So this is what Tim Cook was wasting his time on instead of giving us new MacPro, MacMini, and iMac.

I'm getting sick and tired of Tim Cook's indulgent worship of the past. I can see this same attitude in the new headquarters. Instead of getting us a brand new redesigned iPhone7 we get a rehash of a 3 year old phone.  Instead of giving us a home assistant like Echo, we get this ridiculous self worshiping book that cost $300.
    What makes you think that Tim Cook had anything to do with this book other than saying, "sounds like a good idea - go ahead".   Now if you want to make that argument against Ive, you might have a case, although my bet is that this book was put together by an outside packager or a contractor.  And even if he was involved reviewing photos or pages, etc., what makes you think this has anything to do with the engineers who design new products?  "Oh, sorry, I can't work on analyzing the new Intel processor today because on the other side of the campus, they're shooting photos for the book about Apple design."   

They say it's been in the works for 8 years, but that means work started in 2008, three years before Jobs died.  I find that a bit hard to believe, considering that Jobs never wanted to look back.  I seem to remember Jobs being asked about a potential Apple museum and Jobs replying that he had no interest in the past.  

Furthermore, publishing a book like this reinforces the brand.  A brand which I believe has taken a hit in the last few years, mostly because of its success.  It's hard to be "elite" when you're selling products to everyone and selling them in Walmart and Sears.  
    macxpresswatto_cobra
  • Reply 80 of 112
    $300? For a book? Not only that, but a book with "planned obsolescence" in a month when they release something new? Seems they shoulda waited until the anniversary iPhone is released next year? $300 for a stack of paper with pictures on it? Photos of all their products are available for free on the web. Print a picture. $300 for an Apple product that has Zero Jonny Ive precision tooled aluminium? Apple has lost touch with 90% of the world and only caters to those with salaries above $100,000 a year (like them). Bet Samsung's book of exploding phones and washing machines will be under $10. 
    luvappl